Awoo.

Eddie Lebron Sonic Movie: New Teaser Trailer!

slam422

I guess the difference with the Mario movie is that regardless of breaking from the source material, it still ended up being an alright movie in itself. The acting was still fairly good and so was the props, etc. You can hardly say the same for the Sonic movie. And Mario fans don't understand because the Mario movie to them is treated like its a sin of nature and should be peppersprayed on sight because.. you know, their standard levels are exceptionally high for whatever reason.

Remember, Nintendo fans had the Super Mario Bros. Movie as their mascot's movie depiction. So of course the Lebron Sonic fan film is going to look awesome by comparison, which is why Nintendo fans can't understand why Sonic fans are so bent out of shape over it.

I understand exactly what you're saying, but in my personal opinion, Super Mario Bros. is entertaining to watch as a really cheesy early '90s movie as long as you know what you're going into. The Sonic movie is just embarrassing because it actually tried.

Edited by XD375
  • Thumbs Up 4

Exactly. It was good on standards for a corny 90s action-comedy flick. Sonic can barely have the same said for it. Although admittedly I'm not too sure on what exactly they were going for with this movie.

I can really understand their budget issues and the amount of time it would've taken to make this, but some of it could've definitely been done with more finesse. Also, I gotta agree with Barry's statement earlier: Its like they grew up playing Sonic 1 & Adventure 2, watched SatAM and read the comics and thats all the source material they needed. This could've been done so much better if the source material itself wouldn't have been taken so casually and loosely. 

(Well, and some better acting direction too I'd say. And maybe animating that Sonic model better)

Edited by Azookara

I thought it was okay. Definitely not good, but not as horrible as I expected from reading these reactions. It was mostly just... meh. I felt Robotnik's actor was a bit too forced dramatic and that Sonic's model was creepy as hell, but his voice didn't bother me because it just sounded like a raspier version of his SatAM voice. With better voice direction, I think he woulda been fine.

Most of it was just boring news broadcasts and Robotnik acting sinister. I've seen much worse in Hollywood-produced movies.

I was half kidding with the Mario Bros comparison, though I think Sonic the Fan Film and SMB:TM are equal in terms of wonky interpretations of the game universes. Mario the Movie just has much better everything else, even if it is often done the wrong way. At least with the Sonic one, it's 100% fan made and SEGA didn't make any of the decisions. I have a feeling Naka is just saying nice things because as a creator of the series, he probably just finds it really amusing. I'd assume the language barrier helps (I'm sure he understands english, but perhaps the bad acting goes over his head).

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah sorry but the Mario movie is waaaaay better than this.  I mean the Mario movie made me smile and chuckle pretty often even if there was a lot of stuff that made me go "haha what were they thinking with this".

The Sonic short film just made me... sorta make noises similar to Game Grumps when they were snowboarding down White Acropolis.

The reason it's so different is the Mario movie was trying to turn the series into a movie based off what was popular at the time in movies.  The Sonic fan movie was made in a time where it's common knowledge what sort of things the fanbase likes/wants, knows what parts of the recent games were well recieved, and... generally should have known better, especially considering this was a "made out of love for fellow fans" project, rather than the Mario movie which was deliberately done to make money and appeal to movie-go-ers as much as they could.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

RE: Naka saying "axesome!"

The fan-film being MADE is indeed axesome. The fan-film sucking as a film? not so axesome. I think there's a clear difference.

Naka liking the film? Dood - something he made got turned into an 18min 3D movie. That's cool. The film however, still sucks.

But you can see why he'd be excited on sharing the fact something he created was turned into a good effort, right?

...You people aren't really as stupid as sheep to believe just cause the creator of the thing likes it - then suddenly no criticism can touch it?

I don't have a problem with this film mixing elements from different canons. Both the games and comics are extensive enough in their lore that a fan can feasibly get away with an effort that brings together plot devices from both. I mean, Eggman's already drained the life force of aliens in an effort to power his devices; that's really not too far removed from Roboticizing. I would indeed welcome more fan works that do this as well. Unless your stated goal is to place a work within a specific canon, why force yourself to follow one to the absolute letter, especially if that reason is only for the sake of appealing to absolute purists on the issue who will probably crucify you anyway for getting a quirk of Sonic's wrong? After all, we can barely decide on what the most proper characterization of Sonic is from the horse's mouth. Overall, I feel such an attitude is inherently limiting and goes against the very spirit of fan work, so let the different canons come together and make babies if someone should so choose. Hybrid vigor's the name of the game. =D

Not to say this movie isn't awful, but the thing is, it would still be awful is he replaced all of the western terms with their Sega equivalents or relatives.

• Thumbs Up 5

Personally, i can't wait for ArtFenix to come and tell us how this uneccessary serious tone is what Sonic should be and that the story is still better than everything that came after 06 laugh.png

Keep waiting, even most of the russian fans disliked it.

I can't wait for the fan game adaptation of this fan film, I'd actually love to see a sprite version of the "Bloobler" Sonic. I'd assume it would be 14 minutes of cutscenes, a short forest stage, a missile boss fight and then credits. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I can't wait for the fan game adaptation of this fan film, I'd actually love to see a sprite version of the "Bloobler" Sonic. I'd assume it would be 14 minutes of cutscenes, a short forest stage, a missile boss fight and then credits. 

With the Knuckles scene as a secret ending you can unlock by collecting all one Chaos Emeralds?

• Thumbs Up 2

wait what

Keep waiting, even most of the russian fans disliked it.

Oh really? So does every russian Sonic fan share the same opinion about the series?

Oh really? So does every russian Sonic fan share the same opinion about the series?

Of course not, but even those who like serious tone in the series pointed out overuse of dramatic tone in this movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I lol'd

The comments on this article are vastly different from our views... I thought the film was pretty mediocre, personally.

Different strokes for different folks.  Some circles like it,  some hate it.  Everyone is entitled to whatever opinion they have, I'll read them regardless. :3.    

Eddie L.

• Thumbs Up 9

Right, this kind of comment is just unnecessary. Don't instigate shit like this.

Oh it was just a little joke, ok sorry about that, i assure you that's not my intention.

So after watching this movie all I said was, "yeah I just wasted my time didn't I?".

I mean yeah It's great that someone tried this and all it's effort should be acknowledged, but all that effort was used in the wrong way.

Well since I think all things bad about this movie have already been brought up, I wont be saying it all again.

I'm just sad that it went this way, such a waste. 

Edited by redhellc

So I have Yuji Naka on facebook (and it's really him btw: http://www.facebook.com/nakayuji?fref=ts), and apparently he's seen the film too, he shared a link and brief thoughts. Thanks to Google Translate I decoded this:

"Awesome!!It is too terrible this. I'm feeling very good.

Why do not you wish someone put subtitles.

Hey, looks like you made ​​Sonic in Hollywood"

Apparently he likes it but he's expressing the suckitude of not having subtitles so he can understand. 

EDIT: (Sorta) beaten to the freaking punch xP Ah wells.

Edited by Extruder

Did the unthinkable and rewatched it. Made a "blue blur" vs. "Sonic" count.

Times "blue blur" is said: 14

Times "Sonic" is said: 4

Other terms used one or two times: "thing", "freak", "South Islander", "hedgehog"

• Thumbs Up 1

Did the unthinkable and rewatched it. Made a "blue blur" vs. "Sonic" count.

Times "blue blur" is said: 14

Times "Sonic" is said: 4

Other terms used one or two times: "thing", "freak", "South Islander", "hedgehog"

I don't get why people are so bothered about them calling him the blue blur. Nobody in the film sees him till towrad the end so they don't know who he is.

It's like in any batman continuity where he's just starting out and they call him the bat, nobody knows what his real name is.

• Thumbs Up 2

Decided to watch it again and it's crazy how much more enjoyably bad it is. It honestly really does feel like a parody more than anything else because I can't imagine a live action Sonic be any better than this save for higher budget.

Everything from Sonic's model to the acting and to the overblown soundtrack is so bad yet perfectly assembled it's no wonder all these moments people glorify on imageboards are exploitable. It's like a goldmine of modern b-material with none of the Michael Bay lens flare to cover it up. It's seeing the modern popcorn schlock for what it truly is, and the lack of obtuse post-processing makes it feel like it's almost our generation's equivalent of 80's action movies people always appreciated ironically in retrospect.

• Thumbs Up 9

The more I go back and watch it, the more ok it becomes, for what it is. I think it could've used an extra year or something to "cook" though, but it's not the worst thing ever.

• Thumbs Up 1