Awoo.

Eddie Lebron Sonic Movie: New Teaser Trailer!

slam422

I neither love nor hate it.

It does have some kinda cool stuff in there - I like the opening scene with the ring and Emeralds, the Egg Carrier-type craft and the Gamma-esque robots. Buzzbombers were also a Ninetieserrfiic addition.

I don't like Sonic himself in this. He looks... off... He comes off surprisingly slow for a superfast hedgehog (I understand this might be an animation limitation) and while I appreciate the retro value in Jaleel White's presence, he sounds nothing like  the old Sonic of the '90s TV shows.

The acting isn't all that bad considering it's a fan movie, and I know that "Robotnik" is a guy in an Eggman costume but he reminds me of his scrotey '06 model. Having said that, his acting wasn't all that bad either - he pulled some pretty funny maniacal bad guy faces and delivered some cheesy lines.

Overall, ehh it's not the best Sonic-related thing I have seen (Circle Circle Dot Dot is the best Sonic fan vid I have seen in ages! and that will take some beating...) but it definitely suffers from budget restrictions.

Edited by MamboCat

I don't get why people are so bothered about them calling him the blue blur. Nobody in the film sees him till towrad the end so they don't know who he is.

It's like in any batman continuity where he's just starting out and they call him the bat, nobody knows what his real name is.

It's the abundance of it that bothers me, and who is saying it, and how they say it. Also, Sonic really isn't difficult to see when he is running about in the movie. He isn't a blur, he's some kind of fast blue animal. When I see an unidentified thing run in front of me at night, I'm not going to call it a "gray blur", I'm going to say "a small gray animal ran past me". Funny thing is, the robots first start the "blue blur" thing, which is quite an odd term for a robot to use. Why not something more technical, like the "blue bipedal creature". Then the woman on the TV says it about four or five times in one scene, which was a bit much. Then the soldiers are using it, then Robotnik is using it. Just too much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Best comment:

What's the Werehog doing in this?
Edited by thapoint09 (temp)
  • Thumbs Up 5

After all the initial extreme disbelief I experienced.. 

The more I watch it the more I enjoy it (in the same way Carbo said). I actually find the effort pretty endearing but I definitely feel like it could've been better in just about every way; from models to animation to script to musical score to exposition, etc; but its the best thing ever for reaction images so that's good, right..? :v Then again yeah it does feel like a parody at times because of how blatantly jarring everything is together at times.

I mean, its horribly inaccurate to Sonic in general but I guess thats what happens when there are millions of polarizing alternate canons and variations of the same series and you pull from several of them at once.. heh.

Plus I guess it just would've been better if it was just a CGI animated film in general. 

Edited by Azookara

I just watched it again, and I still don't think its that bad. But it certainly isn't without its problems. It honestly feels like we're only getting the beginning of a full-length feature film, or a pilot for a TV series. It feels like they set out to make something bigger than what would fit in the time limit they set for themselves.

I don't really understand some of the complaints, we knew when it was announced the film was going to be short. We also knew that Eddie was definitely skewing for a SatAM tone.

Sonic's model is not even remotely creepy. Creepy is too often used out of context and its annoying. The only thing really wrong with Sonic's design is his mouth, thats pretty much it. Other than that I get the look they were aiming for. But to say that it doesn't even look like Sonic is just retarded.

I think people are really over exaggerating, and just being out right mean spirited about the film just for the fun of it. The very same people who wouldn't have liked it anyway even if some things had turned out better.

Some of these complaints would have some merit if this was actually a product backed by SEGA.

Edited by Kamina
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic's model is not even remotely creepy. Creepy is too often used of context and its annoying. The only thing really wrong with Sonic's design is his mouth, thats pretty much it. Other than that I get the look they were aiming for. But to say that it doesn't even look like Sonic is just retarded.

I think people are really over exaggerating, and just being out right mean spirited about the film just for the fun of it. The very same people who wouldn't have liked it anyway even if some things had turned out better.

Some of these complaints would have some merit if this was actually a product backed by SEGA.

Or maybe people actually feel the way they do because well, it's an opinion?

Something being creepy is definitely subjective, I didn't know it could be used "out of context" when most people are using it as an opinion. I won't say it doesn't resemble Sonic but, it doesn't look that visually appealing to me either.

And how would complaints you are arguing against be magically merited if it was backed by SEGA? Don't really get the logic here.

Edited by Xenos

Or maybe people actually feel the way they do because well, it's an opinion?

Something being creepy is definitely subjective, I didn't know it could be used "out of context" when most people are using it as an opinion. I won't say it doesn't resemble Sonic but, it doesn't look that visually appealing to me either.

And how would complaints you are arguing against be magically merited if it was backed by SEGA? Don't really get the logic here.

creep·y [kree-pee] Show IPA
adjective, creep·i·er, creep·i·est.
having or causing a creeping sensation of the skin, as from horror or fear: a creepy ghost story.
that creeps: a creepy insect.
Slang. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a person who is a creep; obnoxious; weird.

It's used out of context if people are using it to mean "Sonic looks a bit odd"

I doubt anybody actually finds the model to be genuinely creepy, it's an annoyingly overused term because it's so hyperbolic

• Thumbs Up 1

Theres stuff I do like with this, but... even the stuff I like is just so riddled with problems that could have been fixed if it just wasn't such a lazy work I can't really enjoy them... I have said sinc that trailer, that I love the look of the robots, and I still do, however, just take a look at this screen for instance.

dAFD8.jpg

Aside from the robot on the right having a look of 'Please let me die' about him and his head in a different position... can you spot the difference between the two?

Nope... because there isn't any, they are both in ballets fourth position (go look it up). Now I am fully aware that pose is Gamma's official artwork... but heres the problem, this isn't Gamma, nor is it a pose, it's an action sequence in which the robots have captured someone and are threattening him. Why isn't one of them pointing his gun at the Nostalgia Critic? Why are they both stood like that, it's not a threattening, it looks more like they were lost in the woods, they asked a guy for directions who panicked, he fell over and now they're going to help him up.

The very same people who wouldn't have liked it anyway even if some things had turned out better.

How come everybody who has disliked this (just about) have posted reasons for it which for the most part appear to be quite justified and right on the money.

Yet the opposite, the people who like it just go 'I liked that' or 'that was amazing' and thats the extent of the discussion. I've yet to see one person who liked it give reasons why they thought it was great/good/amazing. In fact has anyone, has anyone seen a single review or indepth explanation as to why they thought this was good?

Because you can't argue it was good due to the effects, they're not.

You can't argue it was good due to the acting because it wasn't.

You can't argue it was good due to the story, because it wasn't.

The list goes on and on and most of this has nothing to do with it being a 'fan work' or a 'short' since most of the problems come down to acting and how one uses a camera.

we knew when it was announced the film was going to be short

But who is complaining about the length? Just about every complaint I see is about basic film-making and the fact Sonic and Knuckles look like they've been to the Mr Bean make-up school.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not harsh against this film because I went in expecting to hate it. I'm harsh against it because it's a bad film in general even if we remove Sonic from the equation. It is just bad as a piece of artwork in general.

• Thumbs Up 7

In fact has anyone, has anyone seen a single review or indepth explanation as to why they thought this was good?

The only thing of any worth I can find is this video:

He talks a lot about the stuff happening on screen, which is ironic seeing as he stands basically off-camera for most of the video.

There are more important things to complain about in this film than "fingers", "green eyes", "character models", "music", or "cannon".

TBH - Making such a big deal about the above DETRACTS from what really kills this 18min video.

Things people SHOULD be upset about are:

Plot, Dialogue, Acting, Internet-Celeb-Cameos, Audio Mixing, Visual Effects, and the Runtime.

---> I've already said this - the BAR for quality in short films, even ones like this - is much HIGHER than this films end result.

...It's not that "Sonic Fans" are hard to please

- It's that those of us over the age of 16 who have seen fewer people do better work in less amount of time, those of us who have been EXPOSED to much better work - can EASILY tell the difference.

That's why you see folks praising this film because:

"IT HAD <insert internet celeb cameo> IN IT!"

"IT'S FAN-MADE!" (Like being a fan means you don't have to care how good your end result is)

If you've never seen better work to compare it too, then anything looks amazing... HELL - If your 5 and all you've been exposed to is Tellitubbies - THAT'S SOME AMAZING PRODUCTION...Because your 5, and you've never seen anything more advanced than that.

Bottom line? Personally - I could care less about models and fingers and this "good effort" nonsense...

Great Job Eddie, it took you 2years to film 18min...BUT at least you finished it... That's good - Finishing projects is hard.

...It's too bad what you made sucks more than a cheap prostitute.

• Thumbs Up 9

I wouldn't say character models are that trivial a complaint, because the fact is that it's the only way Sonic will ever been seen in a realistic live-action setting. He needs to look good through the modelling and texturing, and he needs to be able perform well too as allotted by an appropriate and robust rig. When neither of these are up to par, your main protagonist suddenly looks jarring and unappealing, which is the last thing any film needs.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wouldn't say character models are that trivial a complaint, because the fact is that it's the only way Sonic will ever been seen in a realistic live-action setting. He needs to look good through the modelling and texturing, and he needs to be able perform well too as allotted by an appropriate and robust rig. When neither of these are up to par, your main protagonist suddenly looks jarring and unappealing, which is the last thing any film needs.

I never said they were trivial - Just on the lower end of my complaints list.

Honestly - I think Sonic's Model looked badass, aside from his mouth...which just KILLED the whole thing.

And the inability to properly animate or place the 3D Models into real-world environments destroys several shots.

Yeah to be honest I don't completely hate the Sonic model, and it sure as hell fit in with the real life footage way better than the smooth, cartooney Sonic design we're used to would.  It was just ruined by the disconnect between the CGI and the camera footage, as well the the really awkward facial animation.

Jaleel White actually made it extra awkward, because here we have a voice most commonly associated with the MOST wacky Sonic has ever been animated, and it's coming out of this comparitive mannequin of an animated model.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was looking forward to checking out this film, more than anything to hear Jaleel White reprise his role of Sonic after over a decade.

Wasn't nearly as nostalgic as I thought. Love the guy, but he just couldn't recapture the exact voice he used for the character in the 90's (And you can't fault age. He pulled off the voice in Underground, and he was at least 20 by then). He ended up sounding more like Manic from Underground, a wee bit too high-pitched.

Other than that, the common sentiments. Not enough focus on Sonic, forced cameos, boring story...but the CGI, despite being a bit jarring in spots, looked spectacular. Kudos on that front.

Jaleel White actually made it extra awkward, because here we have a voice most commonly associated with the MOST wacky Sonic has ever been animated, and it's coming out of this comparitive mannequin of an animated model.

Sonic's voice acting was cringeworthy, but I don't think it was because we associate it with the wacky animated Sonic from the 90s. Jaleel White in this film sounds absolutely nothing like Sonic did in AoStH and SatAM. He sounded rusty and too high pitched in this one. But I don't know if it's that he lost his touch or if it was just bad voice direction.

I am against Kickstarter and stuff that encourages you to donate for a project you don't know for sure if it will be worth the money. I am sure someone out there could have done a better job than this with less money.

• Thumbs Up 4

Huh. Some people are acting like it's a film they go to see in theaters. It's just a fan film. And it could have been better.

Still, it could have been much worse.

Edited by UltDevilDoom
  • Thumbs Up 1

After hearing all this talk about this movie, I went ahead and saw the film...

What the fuck did I just lay eyes on?

I mean, props for actually making the film in the first place because no doubt that had some difficulties. But aside from, da fuq?! The script alone was really off with me, and let's not say anything about the other parts of it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Eddie Lebron, if you ever come to the SSMB, know that while I don't particularly like your movie, I ABSOLUTELY love your attitude towards negative reception!

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't get why people are so bothered about them calling him the blue blur. Nobody in the film sees him till towrad the end so they don't know who he is.

It's like in any batman continuity where he's just starting out and they call him the bat, nobody knows what his real name is.

I also found it hilarious since the community seems to use the blue blur name most frequently to.

Just seems incredibly ironic to hear complaints about his blue blur name.

I am against Kickstarter and stuff that encourages you to donate for a project you don't know for sure if it will be worth the money. I am sure someone out there could have done a better job than this with less money.

Donating money to any film pproduction comes with risks. You can never be certain of what you're getting, even if you read a script that's golden and have a great bunch of talent working on it, sometimes things just don't work out...