Awoo.

Eddie Lebron Sonic Movie: New Teaser Trailer!

slam422

I don't think being a dick about it and insulting the person is any better. Especially when the person acknowledges that the film didn't sit right with everyone.

• Thumbs Up 8

I don't think being a dick about it and insulting the person is any better. Especially when the person acknowledges that the film didn't sit right with everyone.

He's not acknowledging that the film didn't sit right because of the quality of his film, he's acknowledging that the film didn't sit right because "You Can't Please Everyone, PLUS Their Sonic Fans - They have a reputation for complaining"

Theres some dumb complaints people are tossing his way to be sure.

The Deadline, the fur, the character model, the fingers, the cannon

All that stuff is more creative choices he went with - and have nothing to do with the quality of how he PORTRAYED those creations.

I'm upset that he's writing off the problems with his film by essentially saying - Who cares, their sonic fans - they like to complain - I don't need to worry about the validity of their complaints.

• Thumbs Up 1

Especially when you're complaints are totally subjective, you might think the writing and cgi are crap but that doesn't make it right.

I thought the writing was ok, nothing spectacular but I actually enjoyed the plot. I thought the CGI was great, animation obviously could have been better and a lot of the shots had bad composition.

It's not perfect, you may not even think it's good.

No need to be a dick about it though.

Edited by Jake Bird

He's not acknowledging that the film didn't sit right because of the quality of his film, he's acknowledging that the film didn't sit right because "You Can't Please Everyone, PLUS Their Sonic Fans - They have a reputation for complaining"

We DO have a fucking reputation for complaining; we've had it since 2005 when ShTH came out and got even more of a reputation for it with Sonic 4. And he's no less wrong for making note of that fact and the fact that you can't please everyone. The guy didn't up and imply anything beyond the fact that he set out to make a fan-film and not everyone liked it. Anything you find offensive or otherwise insulting regarding it's reception is that of your own doing, not his.

Theres some dumb complaints people are tossing his way to be sure.

The Deadline, the fur, the character model, the fingers, the cannon

All that stuff is more creative choices he went with - and have nothing to do with the quality of how he PORTRAYED those creations.

I'm upset that he's writing off the problems with his film by essentially saying - Who cares, their sonic fans - they like to complain - I don't need to worry about the validity of their complaints.

Dude, it sounds like you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

I feel kinda sorry for the poor bugger. His effort deserves to be commended, as well as his dignified response to the fact that it isn't doing so hot with the fans.

The film in question is still horrible in many ways, though. I doubt he'd be happy if people started pity-liking it.

Edited by -The Joker-

Eddie Lebron should pull a Mass Effect.

Re-do the entire thing, and actually make it good for the fans watching it, for a start adding Sonic into it more and actually have him explain some form of story to make sense of what the actual fuck is going on instead of making Jaleel scream words of old for the nostalgia seekers, I wouldn't mind it so much if when he said it, it actually had some relevance to the situation at hand, it was a mish-mash of things that were used at the wrong times.

Or maybe it's best he just hangs his head and lays low until the shit storm is over, and brush it under the rug like SEGA did with 06.

Edited by Black☆Rock Shooter

We DO have a fucking reputation for complaining; we've had it since 2005 when ShTH came out and got even more of a reputation for it with Sonic 4. 

We do? I remember not so long ago before Sonic 4 happened or even Shadow that they used to describe the Sonic fanbase as being 'blind stupid fanboys who will like or defend any shit that has Sonic's face on it' but once the fans put their foot down and criticize something that has a ton of flaws like Sonic 4 for example now we are known for complaining and being extremely nitpicky when the fans don't like something.

Sorry it just kinda annoying to see people say that the fans is unpleasable and they complain alot when before they use to treat us like we are retarded that will like or support anything Sonic related even when it sucks.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 5

Nothing really was considered crap before Shadow tbf, with the exception of Heroes, every canon game were respected greatly, and the reason why we have people blinded by nostalgia today.

Games before Sonic 4 though? Shadow, 06, Riders, Secret Rings, Unleashed, Black Knight etc. Yeah I can see where they're coming from, but it was ultimately Shadow and 06 that killed the franchise for most casual fans and started the "lol Sonic iz ded" phase, when we have people who defend Shadow & 06 then we will get people shitting on us as a fandom.

• Thumbs Up 3

You know we're starved for information on a Sonic game when have to complain about a fan film of all things.

Jeez guys, the guy acknowledged his film wasn't very good, and took it in stride. Why are we still trying to put him down? Are we that immature that we can't even let somebody admit their work was good without jumping down their throat.

I can't see this happening, this place is way too cynical to even consider giving him a break, but I agree either way.

Edited by Black☆Rock Shooter
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm confused, are we criticizing the film? Or hating on the guy who made it?

I thought we were talking about the film.

I can't see this happening, this place is way too cynical to even consider giving him a break, but I agree either way.

Being a Sonic fan is ruining us.

Who's "we?" Even if I don't like the film, I actually like and respect that Eddie's taking the criticism in the gentlemanly manner he is.

Goodness gracious. I may be the unofficial "Meh Guy," but I'm not cynical...

Ya know, when I saw "we" I'm not talking about anyone specifically dude. It's a general statement.

I enjoyed the film.

I saw the teasers and watched the trailers - I knew it was gonna be "bad" from the get go, so I knew what to expect. It was just a dumb 20 min film that was fun to watch.

Laugh at it, then move on. That's my viewpoint anyways.

Edited by The Jackal

I was actually quite impressed with the CGI, that is the one part I feel the film can get away with. Computer Graphics are expensive and difficult to do effectively, especially when you've got to try incorportate them into real world filming with some degree of realism. The robots and Egg carrier (..s) were all done pretty well I thought, giving a real impression of metallic presence and movement.

One thing I just cannot get over though, is Sonic's design. It's really quite infuriating, seeing as they had half-decent animators, that they didn't just stick to a cartoony look. Sonic is NOT a real thing, he cannot be translated into the real world as he is too far removed from his source - a hedghog. The whole concept of a 'real sonic' was actually very stupid of them to attempt, I mean, they knew they only had so much money, even a Hollywood studio would probably struggle to create a realistic Sonic that looks right.

It would've given them a lot more leeway in terms of how Sonic interacts with the world if they simply stuck with a cartoonish look, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu7ouml_ljQ, but the fact they tried just makes it embarassing; it really didn't work.

My main problem with whole venture however is, quite simply, the lack of any plot whatsoever. This...thing, can not be called a film, even calling it a fanfilm gives it too much credit. It honestly felt to me like a bunch of random, melodramtic, off-putting scenes stiched together that honestly didn't make any sense. The prologue at the beginning made it seem like there was going to be a clear beginning, middle and end. It does an ok-ish job of setting up the problem, but then I failed to see any sort of solution, something an adventure film like this needs. Sonic never actually gets that involved in anything except bashing up a few robots. The majority of it is just weird tv-reports that seemed to just be a lazy way of explaining what has then happened (and filling up time) without actually showing it and drawn-out Eggman 'propoganda' monologues which were the same thing, in the same place, each time.

If they're honestly going with this whole 'spec film' thing, then fine, it's just showing off ideas. But I seem to remember that it was being hyped up as a proper movie, hence the expectation that there'd actually be any semblance of a narrative. I actually had no idea what was going on in it, none of the scenes in it link together, whatsoever.

Edited by Wordy

I didn't think it was that good, but I admire the effort put into it. Eddie Lebron is going to get crucified for this so I can't help but feel a little sorry for him. It was nice to see Jaleel White doing the voice of Sonic once again and the cameos from James Rolfe, Brental Floss and Doug Walker were cool. Dr. Eggman IMO saved the film from being a total stinker though he was great!

• Thumbs Up 1

I watched the Mega Man movie by Blue Core Studios a long time ago and only ended up watching this because Doug Walker posted he had a role in it on FaceBook.  Really, though, the random net celebrities are what make the film sort of baffling.  They're not even strategically placed.  I know a cameo is only fan-service but they have to make sense.  Brentalfloss as "guy that looks up," James Rolfe as the news reporter, and Doug Walker as the silent G.U.N. unit all came across as contrived and forced, included only to gain a larger viewership.

As for the film itself, it's... confusing.  The plot is just a mish-mash of different continuities put together.  I mean, it's okay to experiment with the Sonic universe, but if you're going to choose between a bunch of pre-selected continuities, then choose one and not several.

The acting, predictably, isn't that great.  I wasn't expecting top-notch anyway, but Jaleel White's Sonic, perhaps due to age, is sounding a bit more like Bill Cosby at times.

The CGI was pretty horrendous at times, and I know I'm not the first to say that the Sonic model is awful.  I mean, it's enough to make me not want to watch the rest of the film.

Really, though, I didn't expect it to be a masterpiece.  I mean, it's still leaps and bounds ahead of the Super Mario Bros. movie, but not by much.  (EDIT - "Leaps and bounds ahead" "but not by much."  Was I even paying attention when I typed this?)  But you know, I laughed at its awfulness, and I'm pretty sure the directors weren't taking it too seriously either.  So... meh.  I'm not sure it warrants the attention it's received from even a comedic standpoint, but apparently, somehow (probably due to the aforementioned celebrity cameos) the film and Blue Core Studios in general has gained a sort of following, so they must be doing something right.

Edited by Akito

So, I mustered the courage to watch this despite all the comments and images of Sonic and Knuckles, bracing myself to be as neutral as possible, and the result is....

Well. It was something. Not good, but not like hellspawn either.

-Oh, cool, the Chaos Emeralds. A bit weirded out why they're coming out of that random ring, but surely this means that they're important to the plot as usual *is near the end of the film* Oh, wait, nevermind I guess that was kind of a waste.

-No actual plot to speak of outside pointless minutes of the Robotnik's air fleet, Sonic spewing out the occasional quirk like he's still in the 90's in any scene he's in. A bunch of newcasts that only serve as expostion and tells us what's going on instead of showing us. All of which was accompanied by a dramatic score that was clearly lifted out of a Batman Nolan film. Like most have said already, this film tried way too hard to be serious and cram as much cues from different universes to the point where it no longer has a identity and cared more about pandering to fans rather than telling a coherent story.

-Is that James Rolfe as a newscaster? And Doug Walker as a GUN soldier? Instant infinite amount of likes already!

-It's official. Sonic's model is worse than his 06' one. When it's not his out of control quills, it's the huge mouth that practically eclipses his entire muzzle. I could almost understand why he's not in this film as much.

-Can't really care about White's performance, but I guess it's the best acting out of everyone (despite his dialouge heavily clashing with the serious tone the film was going for).

-Oh, look, it's SatAM Robotnik disguised as Classic Eggman with a shorter moustache. Lovely. 

-Obligatory implied specism with the 'South Islander' remark to reinforce drama that gets dropped all in one scene.

-A CGI rendered Green Hill Zone that's right next to live action settings and looking out of place. Joy.

-I guess there wasn't enough of a budget to properly render Knuckle's gloves because that's the only reason I can think of as to how they'd get away with that.

While this fan-film doesn't really offend me as a fan (nor it really shouldn't) I can't say it really hooked me in. It was below average at best and I'll probably forget it by the end of th day.

Edited by DarkLightDragon
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think it's worth remembering that when it comes to Doug and James' cameo appearances, both of these two are heavily rooted within indie movie making and directing. I don't think the point including them was ever to make people look at them and go "oh god what is Nostalgia Critic and AVGN doing here" rather than it was two dedicated entrepreneurs in the same field of subject lending a hand to a fellow movie creator. The whole underground scene when it comes to things like movie making, comics, music etc. is so widely in-sync that an outside perspective isn't nearly the same such as it is when it comes to internal reasoning. It doesn't exactly worsen the deal that both Doug and James are fans of the aspect of Sonic that they both grew up with.

Similarly Egoraptor is just a person who has insane amount of recognition with voice acting being able to pull off a stunning range of impressions. He's done professional voice work for video games and even apps too, and despite having a widely recognizable shtick to his entire persona there are many times he's done performances that are really hard to discern or equate depending on their context. Then again I'm not hearing many people complain nearly as much as about his inclusion.

But on the flip side I do see the merit in criticizing the cameos considering the movie's qualities make it look like more of a joke and almost a jab at Hollywood perceptions.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it's worth remembering that when it comes to Doug and James' cameo appearances, both of these two are heavily rooted within indie movie making and directing. I don't think the point including them was ever to make people look at them and go "oh god what is Nostalgia Critic and AVGN doing here" rather than it was two dedicated entrepreneurs in the same field of subject lending a hand to a fellow movie creator. The whole underground scene when it comes to things like movie making, comics, music etc. is so widely in-sync that an outside perspective isn't nearly the same such as it is when it comes to internal reasoning. It doesn't exactly worsen the deal that both Doug and James are fans of the aspect of Sonic that they both grew up with.

Similarly Egoraptor is just a person who has insane amount of recognition with voice acting being able to pull off a stunning range of impressions. He's done professional voice work for video games and even apps too, and despite having a widely recognizable shtick to his entire persona there are many times he's done performances that are really hard to discern or equate depending on their context. Then again I'm not hearing many people complain nearly as much as about his inclusion.

But on the flip side I do see the merit in criticizing the cameos considering the movie's qualities make it look like more of a joke and almost a jab at Hollywood perceptions.

I see where you're getting at.  As independent film makers themselves, it would only make sense for Doug and James to be included in an independent film based on something they grew up with, but that doesn't make their roles any less baffling.  I mean, I don't mean typecast, but a cameo is most effective when it features them doing something they're known for, and To Boldly Flee aside, Doug Walker isn't exactly known for portraying a soldier, nor James Rolfe a news reporter.

Also, the reason I didn't criticize Egoraptor's appearance is because I didn't know he was in it.  I've only seen Egoraptor's face once in one of Doug's videos, but otherwise, I only know him as the guy that does the funny Awesome videos.

Actually watched it.
Little to say that hasn't been too often:
I think a large problem with this film is that they didn't work with goals much more available to them, something better could be done with the same budget and time with completely 2D animation or ripped models, Sega don't even always create them from scratch, re-using old ones or altering them. Sonic also could look a lot more like he has actual quills without literally rendering them individually, same with fur, he wouldn't look like he's shedding either.

Something like this could have even given them the time, working-time and/or viewing-time, to create a better story and better-stuff-in-general, though it could be too far gone, I guess.

Edited by Mysterics