Awoo.

Eddie Lebron Sonic Movie: New Teaser Trailer!

slam422

If you guys are so smart, then why don't you go make a movie? Hm? There's so much freakin' negativity surrounding this, it's so freaking stupid! You need money and computing power to RUN better grade special effects... You need people who actually know how to attain the special effects properly without crashing the computer, and you need a team of people to make a movie. A low budget movie means they can only grasp onto the people they can get, can only use the tools they have, and so on so forth. Try to afford the special effects team from Avatar. Go waltz over to Stan Winston Studios and the folks at ILM, two of the biggest special effects studios that I know, and try and hit them up for a low budget movie. They're gonna shake their heads and laugh. The cost of a movie period is highly influenced by the professionals behind it. So ya, go load up Anim8or on your crappy hard-drive and try to make a Blockbuster movie with your super special effects of doom with MSPaint and your sound effects of craptastic proportions from Audacity. Don't even get me started on the effort that's put into sounds in general. There's a complete score. Orchestrated if you will.

There are people that design and make the costumes. There's people who make the music. There's people who make the sound effects. There's people who map out the scenes. There are artists working around the clock on the scenes. The animators are trying to make the characters come to life, animating them. I have no idea if they used the motion capture in the movie, but seeing it's low budget, I feel that perhaps they didn't. So that's time and effort into keying every little motion frame, and then adding it to the recorded footage, adding environmental shading to the characters, making sure they work alright, adding the textures which are done in a seperate program and then uploaded, maybe tweaked, and tweaked again until it's just right... Everything has to flow as smoothly as possible with what tools they possess.

When you're starting new with people who have little to no acting experience, it will be awkward. It happens. Yes, they could do a better job. Yes, they could do this or that. But that's how an actor really becomes an actor is by the experience they earn with each little thing they do. It just makes me mad when people have no flipping idea what they're talking about in the first place. Reading through this thread, there are a lot of people who actually HAVE no idea. There's is an ENTIRE team behind the production of a movie. Go behind the scenes. It's chaos. Trust me.

Stop focusing on the negative side already. Go make your own movie if you dislike it so much, and get back to me when you do. I'll get my popcorn.

Oh dear, the "Let's See You Do Better" counter-complaint, again? Allow me to offer a simple rebuttal:

Um, no offense, mon, but this whole "Let's See YOU Do Better" counter-complaint... it still ain't a good one. Just because I most likely can't do better, doesn't mean he and his work are free from criticism.

I went into the fan film expecting to be entertained to some degree. I was not entertained by any degree. What, exactly, is the problem with my having this opinion of the work?

• Thumbs Up 4

I have no issue with people disliking the movie. But saying that the people behind the movie could have done better pisses me off because while maybe they could have, the effort is what counts. And I don't mean like "oh hey you drew a stick man and made him dance". I mean the SERIOUS effort put into something like this. A lot of people don't and can't grasp how hard and troublesome producing a movie like this can and is. Bash the movie all you want, whatever. It's not like anyone can stop you. I don't care. Like many others on this thread, I'm just stating my opinion. And yes, I would like to see someone do better. I encourage it. Go right ahead. If it wasn't for fans, Sonic wouldn't even exist. Sonic was made to entertain the public. If Sonic didn't have fans, he would flop. And fan movies wouldn't exist. Period. And with fans comes assholes. So expect people to be butting heads a lot. It's gonna happen.

ANYWAAAAY, I enjoyed the movie (part one?). I've seen worse, so this was actually a sight for sore eyes for me. His mouth was a little weird, but eh, to be honest the whole "mouth all over the face" thing is weird. How the hell does his mouth do that in the first place? And COME ON, Jaleel White. Seriously. It makes me happy to hear him voice Sonic again, whether it's official or just for fun. Reminds me of watching cartoons on Saturday morning when I was a kid C:

I have no issue with people disliking the movie. But saying that the people behind the movie could have done better pisses me off because while maybe they could have, the effort is what counts. And I don't mean like "oh hey you drew a stick man and made him dance". I mean the SERIOUS effort put into something like this.

You can put a lot of effort into something and it can still be bad, and if you're gonna release something subpar to the audience, they have the right to criticize.

Bash the movie all you want, whatever. It's not like anyone can stop you. I don't care.

If you guys are so smart, then why don't you go make a movie? Hm? There's so much freakin' negativity surrounding this, it's so freaking stupid!

Not sure I believe you.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can put a lot of effort into something and it can still be bad, and if you're gonna release something subpar to the audience, they have the right to criticize.

Not sure I believe you.

It's a low budget movie. As simple as that. I was explaining WHY it's low budget because a lot of people don't get it. And probably still won't unless they've worked with a studio or some production first hand. And I really don't care. To you, it looks terrible. To them, it's an accomplishment all in itself. At least they gave you the privilege to watch it and throw a tantrum about it.

I'm not even touching on the whole "Not sure I believe you" because I already explained why I'm mad. Stupidity makes me angry. And this thread is full of it.

I'm not even touching on the whole "Not sure I believe you" because I already explained why I'm mad. Stupidity makes me angry. And this thread is full of it.

Having the gall to dislike something counts as "stupidity" now?

• Thumbs Up 2

If you guys are so smart, then why don't you go make a movie? Hm? There's so much freakin' negativity surrounding this, it's so freaking stupid! You need money and computing power to RUN better grade special effects... You need people who actually know how to attain the special effects properly without crashing the computer, and you need a team of people to make a movie. A low budget movie means they can only grasp onto the people they can get, can only use the tools they have, and so on so forth. Try to afford the special effects team from Avatar. Go waltz over to Stan Winston Studios and the folks at ILM, two of the biggest special effects studios that I know, and try and hit them up for a low budget movie. They're gonna shake their heads and laugh. The cost of a movie period is highly influenced by the professionals behind it. So ya, go load up Anim8or on your crappy hard-drive and try to make a Blockbuster movie with your super special effects of doom with MSPaint and your sound effects of craptastic proportions from Audacity. Don't even get me started on the effort that's put into sounds in general. There's a complete score. Orchestrated if you will.

There are people that design and make the costumes. There's people who make the music. There's people who make the sound effects. There's people who map out the scenes. There are artists working around the clock on the scenes. The animators are trying to make the characters come to life, animating them. I have no idea if they used the motion capture in the movie, but seeing it's low budget, I feel that perhaps they didn't. So that's time and effort into keying every little motion frame, and then adding it to the recorded footage, adding environmental shading to the characters, making sure they work alright, adding the textures which are done in a seperate program and then uploaded, maybe tweaked, and tweaked again until it's just right... Everything has to flow as smoothly as possible with what tools they possess.

When you're starting new with people who have little to no acting experience, it will be awkward. It happens. Yes, they could do a better job. Yes, they could do this or that. But that's how an actor really becomes an actor is by the experience they earn with each little thing they do. It just makes me mad when people have no flipping idea what they're talking about in the first place. Reading through this thread, there are a lot of people who actually HAVE no idea. There's is an ENTIRE team behind the production of a movie. Go behind the scenes. It's chaos. Trust me.

Stop focusing on the negative side already. Go make your own movie if you dislike it so much, and get back to me when you do. I'll get my popcorn.

I have no issue with people disliking the movie. But saying that the people behind the movie could have done better pisses me off because while maybe they could have, the effort is what counts. And I don't mean like "oh hey you drew a stick man and made him dance". I mean the SERIOUS effort put into something like this. A lot of people don't and can't grasp how hard and troublesome producing a movie like this can and is. Bash the movie all you want, whatever. It's not like anyone can stop you. I don't care. Like many others on this thread, I'm just stating my opinion. And yes, I would like to see someone do better. I encourage it. Go right ahead. If it wasn't for fans, Sonic wouldn't even exist. Sonic was made to entertain the public. If Sonic didn't have fans, he would flop. And fan movies wouldn't exist. Period. And with fans comes assholes. So expect people to be butting heads a lot. It's gonna happen.

ANYWAAAAY, I enjoyed the movie (part one?). I've seen worse, so this was actually a sight for sore eyes for me. His mouth was a little weird, but eh, to be honest the whole "mouth all over the face" thing is weird. How the hell does his mouth do that in the first place? And COME ON, Jaleel White. Seriously. It makes me happy to hear him voice Sonic again, whether it's official or just for fun. Reminds me of watching cartoons on Saturday morning when I was a kid C:

I said it in the pet peeves  topic and I'll say it again.  If we don't point out what was WRONG with the movie, how could he or anyone else hope to improve?

That being said, the whole "you can't do any better!" argument is completely without merits.  Yeah, I can't do even half the CGI that he did, but then, why would I want to?  That's the argument that pretty much negates it all.  I also can't wiggle my ears, but then, why would I want to?

The point of a movie, or at least a movie of this particular type, is to be appealing.  Not just to the people who know all the effort it takes to go into a movie, but to all people.  Or at least in this case, all people who are into Sonic, and as you can see, it failed to do that miserably.  With that said, I can and do appreciate the efforts Eddie put into making it... but that doesn't change the fact that the movie is awful.

And let me make one thing clear.  I -love- awful movies.  Not in the hipster way, but in the way that some movies are just so bad that they're entertaining.  Not to mention, if it weren't for bad movies, we would never know what makes a movie good.  This movie, on the other hand, left me bored stiff.  I had a chuckle here and there had the horrible Sonic model, but overall, at the end, I felt I could have put those ten minutes of my life to better use.

Long story short, effort isn't the only thing at matters and the whole "YOU GUYS CAN'T DO ANY BETTER" is a silly, pointless fallacy.  Just because most of us can't do better doesn't mean it wasn't a terrible, terrible movie.

If you want us to "focus on the positives," then I guess that's fair enough, though.  Let's see...

I'll get back to you on that one.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm not even touching on the whole "Not sure I believe you" because I already explained why I'm mad. Credible criticism makes me angry. And this thread is full of it.

Corrected.

This being a fan made thing doesn't, in any way, shape or form protect it from criticism. I've seen quite a few fanmade projects that overall were much better made than this both in execution and result without anywhere near the amount of funding, back-up or resources.

Effort is worth so little when the result is as painfully misguided and as bad as this. Makes me feel sorry for the effort that's gone into it actually because it could've gone towards making something that's even decent.

I've heard that Eddie wants to pitch this to Sega and turn this into a series or something. Is he going to succeed?

Not in a million years.

This film wasn't even Sonic. It was a mish mash of internet celeb cameos featuring a version of Eggman that completely missed the point of his personality in an effort to echo a parody i.e SatAM Robotnik, a Sonic that is so horrendously ugly that makes '06 Sonic look downright likeable and a story that didn't know what the hell it was doing and was all over the place, devoid of interesting exposition.

No reason for SEGA to give the green light to this amateurishness when they have the resources to pull off something much better.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's a low budget movie. As simple as that. I was explaining WHY it's low budget because a lot of people don't get it. And probably still won't unless they've worked with a studio or some production first hand. And I really don't care. To you, it looks terrible. To them, it's an accomplishment all in itself. At least they gave you the privilege to watch it and throw a tantrum about it.

Why do we keep forgetting the fact that a large chunk of the indie and animation scene puts out good work regularly for free and without large groups or studio backing? Just go to YouTube and you can find all sorts of films that hobbyists and students created that are actually great without the aid of all of the tools and money Eddie had at his disposal. Why do we also keep forgetting the fact that the problems with the film are not only limited to the aesthetic things that undoubtedly cost the money? A good script, good editing, good pacing, and good staging- the fundamentals of film- do not inherently rely on the amount of money tossed at them. Hell, the Transformers franchise cost hundreds of millions of dollars and it's still a giant clusterfuck because it doesn't understand the fundamentals of good film-making. 

So while you talk about stupid, why do you keep bringing up the budget? This budget excuse is stupider than the majority of criticism that has been leveled at this film because it's completely irrelevant. Same with the "At least they made a film" excuse. So they were able to put together a series of images. Big deal; you know how much film exists in the world; how many reels, feature films, television shows, and shorts are out there; even commercials? They're competing with all of that. Eddie and his team don't deserve to be spared criticism just because they finished a film. In the grand scheme, that's unremarkable.

• Thumbs Up 7

I have no issue with people disliking the movie. But saying that the people behind the movie could have done better pisses me off because while maybe they could have, the effort is what counts. And I don't mean like "oh hey you drew a stick man and made him dance". I mean the SERIOUS effort put into something like this. A lot of people don't and can't grasp how hard and troublesome producing a movie like this can and is.

If I put a ton of effort into taking a dump, the result is still shit.

Eddie is a big boy - he doesn't need people to defend him and reward him for trying. He released a sub-par fanwork to the public; if he doesn't want criticism, then he shouldn't have posted it.

Just watched this, finally.

pPaPe.gif

Why is Sonic made of cake frosting? X:

I have to admit, though, I somewhat enjoyed hearing Jaleel White voicing Sonic again. Seeing Doug Walker was nice, but ultimately, I found it tough to care for any of the soldier characters. Perhaps it was because I went in expecting the movie to primarily focus on Sonic, or maybe it was the rather hackneyed script.

Overall, I give it a meh/10.

Also, is this Eggman based on the SATAM Robotnik? Did the SATAM Robotnik have this style of attitude or a similar plan?

Edited by D-Metal X
  • Thumbs Up 4

It's really too bad they didn't have something like this in the movie:

Am I the only one that find's this incredibly charming? No ugly cg ships as far as the eye can see.

Atleast this guy got the glorious mustache right. 

The costume is a thousand times better as well...

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

real_life_eggman_by_sonicblaster59-d5ry5

Am I the only one that finds this incredibly charming? No ugly cg ships as far as the eye can see.

It's missing the wrecking ball-n'-chain, though...

• Thumbs Up 6

I've heard that Eddie wants to pitch this to Sega and turn this into a series or something. Is he going to succeed?

Speculation abounds that Sega will shut him down if anything despite it not being for profit.

I hope this DOES open their ears to possibly making an actual Sonic movie sometime though. Given that they've buddied up with Disney recently, hey, who knows?

I just hope the plot isn't terribad.

real_life_eggman_by_sonicblaster59-d5ry5

Am I the only one that finds this incredibly charming? No ugly cg ships as far as the eye can see.

You mean glorious AND sexy?

I wonder... If they continue, will he have one of these??? It couldn't be CGI, it would have to be something physical. CGI would probably look too awkward against him.

• Thumbs Up 1

You mean glorious AND sexy?

I wonder... If they continue, will he have one of these??? It couldn't be CGI, it would have to be something physical. CGI would probably look too awkward against him.

I would presume yes! The Egg Mobile is probably one of the most iconic things of the franchise by far.

Personally I'm hoping the ending is actually implying everything will be full CGI from now on. That Knuckles model against the background just looked gorgeous to me; it's only when you put the CGI next to real life that it starts to clash really bad.

Wellll they did already add in the CGI with the live people and all... They might end up switching back and forth. But yes, when it's CGI against CGI, it's pretty damn awesome. If they're not using the motion capture for the animations then DAMN, not bad at all either. It has an older game feel to it. I hope they continue to work on it, I'm actually pretty psyched to see where they take it. Maybe it will start to tie in with everything else from the stories. Having seen like twenty minutes of it, it's hard to tell. I get where they were going with making Robotnik so evil, I mean before Sonic came along Robotnik had no reason to pull out his hair (not that he has any anyway). Oh and maybe Knuckles gets different gloves? Or it's just their own design, either way no biggie.

Having seen like twenty minutes of it, it's hard to tell. I get where they were going with making Robotnik so evil, I mean before Sonic came along Robotnik had no reason to pull out his hair (not that he has any anyway).

I... love this.

Suddenly it all makes sense. Robotnik was a smug, confident bastard, with no one to oppose him.

Then I'm guessing much like his Archie and Fleetway counterparts, he gradually goes a bit more batty over time as he's foiled constantly. "How tough can one animal be?!" and such. I assume even if he doesn't descend into craziness, it would nonetheless make him slowly break and become more irrational, until he's transformed into the comical, if sinister, villain we all know and love today.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you guys are so smart, then why don't you go make a movie?

Tell you what.

Give me the money, the resources and the two years of production time.

And I will gladly go make a better movie.

Overall, I just think Eddie was just experiencing throughout. But really, he should have gotten a better story writer.

It's missing the wrecking ball-n'-chain, though...

I'M GONNA WRECK IT!

Edited by Merry Ming Shana
  • Thumbs Up 7

So legitimate criticizing makes us stupid, huh? Well, can't say that never happens here.

Tell you what.

Give me the money, the resources and the two years of production time.

And I will gladly go make a better movie.

I'm with you since people want us to "make a better movie" so fucking bad.

Ya! Exactly! Maybe he'll start to act like the Robotnik everybody knows after awhile.

There are a few things that I'm trying to figure out exactly what they're doing. I mean... Knuckles didn't come in for awhile in any of the series but they threw him right in there. What are they planning? Is Tails gonna be a part of this? I understand the confusion with the robots they're using in the movie, but then again in the old games there wasn't that big of a variety unless they went with the cartoon route, which is actually just... a random mumbo jumbo of stuff. It's not really official I don't think. So if they went with the Archie or whatever any credibility they had is shot. So again, I can understand using those robots in particular since one of the only other main robots was Swat Bots and those aren't really from the games. Just... They're not... from that time frame. It's alright, I'd rather have them than a Swat Bot.

Ya! Exactly! Maybe he'll start to act like the Robotnik everybody knows after awhile.

There are a few things that I'm trying to figure out exactly what they're doing. I mean... Knuckles didn't come in for awhile in any of the series but they threw him right in there. What are they planning? Is Tails gonna be a part of this? I understand the confusion with the robots they're using in the movie, but then again in the old games there wasn't that big of a variety unless they went with the cartoon route, which is actually just... a random mumbo jumbo of stuff. It's not really official I don't think. So if they went with the Archie or whatever any credibility they had is shot. So again, I can understand using those robots in particular since one of the only other main robots was Swat Bots and those aren't really from the games. Just... They're not... from that time frame. It's alright, I'd rather have them than a Swat Bot.

Working on a webcomic with the same premise of combining continuities, I really think that's all Mr. Lebron was aiming for - mixing continuities. If we run on alternate universes, we can assume this story takes place chronologically around the same point as the start of all of Sonic's adventures, hence the Zones and Green Hill. It is, however, an alternate universe, not fitting into any single canon, at the end of the day.