Awoo.

Potential Main Themes of Sonic

Unknownlight

Okay, so we all know that, strangely, the Sonic series has never been able to get a "main theme". There's many people who like this quirk about the series—it allows for infinite variation in the music styles and genres per game, as, since the music has never been consistent, there's nothing to compare new songs to to decide whether it sounds "Sonic-y" or not.

But let's just say Sonic Team decided one day that, yes, they were going to pick a main theme for the series. What would they do? Would they pick from the music the series already has, or compose something original? For that matter, if it were up to you, what would you do? Would you want a new song or do you think a previous song in the series works well enough?

I personally think that if Sonic Team were going to make a main theme, they would use something original. However, if they didn't, I think they'd probably use either the title theme of Sonic 1/2, Green Hill Zone's theme, or Live and Learn.

Me? I don't think I'd choose any of those. The title theme of Sonic 1 could be good, but it's a bit short, and I'm still not quite sure about the copyright status of that song. Green Hill Zone should only be used for Green Hill Zone (but as long as we're doing that, I'd probably want to make Green Hill Zone a more staple location in the games instead of just making a ton of copies of it like they've done so far). As for Live and Learn, I think that song should be used as no more than "the generic song that plays for a few seconds whenever something exciting happens".

For a main theme...hmm, tricky. I do like the title themes from

and
(yes, I know, I know, but I like it) but I wouldn't really want either of them used. I also like Menu 2 from Sonic Heroes, and I think that a mellow version of the song could be used as the BGM of early-game cutscenes and/or spliced into other music, but it wouldn't do well as a main theme either.

I'm going to say I'd like an original theme. My idea is a song that starts as a remix of the Sonic 3 Act Clear theme but then continues on into its own song. Occasionally it'd splice in different well-known themes from the series in a sort of partial medley, but for the most part it'd stay with its own thing. I'm imagining something vaguely resembling The World Adventure from Sonic Unleashed mixed with Genesis-era level themes.

So anyway, that's enough of that. Share your thoughts. smile.png

I'm one of those people who is fine with the lack of main theme, but if one had to be chosen, it should be the S1 opening. It's already instantly recognizable and is being remixed for the Generations main menu theme again. I think the only thing cementing its lack of status as the main theme is the fact that it's simply not used enough.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly the way the series has been all over the map in style and tone, I can't imagine picking a main theme at this point. Give it a few years to settle and you might be able to pick something appropriate, but as it is...

...Because Video games are suppose to have different music themes for each games?

The only exception I can see is Generations, since it's based off the history of Sonic. I could see the game having maybe a mix of all the main themes or something.

...Because Video games are suppose to have different music themes for each games?

Honestly the way the series has been all over the map in style and tone, I can't imagine picking a main theme at this point. Give it a few years to settle and you might be able to pick something appropriate, but as it is...

There's not many franchises (not just video games, I mean films, tv shows, everything) that don't​ have some recurring riffs. The Sonic series is a glaring exception.

This is a hypothetical topic, guys.

Edited by Unknownlight
  • Thumbs Up 1

Look, having recognizable pieces of music is usually to a series' benefit, for the same reason we use the same characters rather than replacing them every game. You build up something recognizable, familiar, comforting, creating a more unified feel...rather than jumping around from one random thing to another like a spastic superball.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be all down for the Sonic 3 title theme to become the main theme throughout the series. We already use the end act music for things and I think the main theme is pretty catchy and could be remixed to fit each game.

So its a bad thing that Sonic does roll with the crowd?

I was answering Nintendoga's question. I've already given my opinion on the series' lack of a recurring theme.

Plus, what franshices do you know that has the same theme?

From what I played of the games, Star Fox feels like it. Sure, Star Fox and Star Fox 2 had two whole entirely different soundtracks, and so did Star Fox 64. However I feel that many are not aware of the time before Star Fox 64, and it feels like every game after that point remixes and re-uses the music from that very game.

Sonic doesn't have much in the way of familiar leitmotifs that tie the series together. It really reflects how separated each game is from each other (pre-Unleashed, anyway), which I think is problematic.

I agree. While I'm not really a fan of Eggman's 06 theme, I definitely appreciate the sense of continuity it gives Unleashed and Colors. We need more stuff like that.

Sonic doesn't have much in the way of familiar leitmotifs that tie the series together. It really reflects how separated each game is from each other (pre-Unleashed, anyway), which I think is problematic.

The only thing I can thing of is the "results" theme actually. And even that was absent in Unleashed and Colors

Edited by Soniman032-

Plus, what franshices do you know that has the same theme?

You're joking right? Heck, Nepenthe's list isn't even scratching the surface.

Agreeing that I love familiar songs. Eggman's new theme and the drowning music are about the only ones that come to mind though and I think that's a shame.

I'd like a really cool arrangement of the Sonic 1 theme if we had to pick something existing as a main theme. I find it boring as is, but with some tweaking and different instruments it could be good. I also love love love the arrangement of It Doesn't Matter from SA2's first scene, so I would be great with that. I wouldn't be against a totally new song though, either.

A seamless blend between electronic synth-style music and heavy, melodic rock would be absolutely fantastic; give Jun Senoue a MegaDrive and a guitar to work with, and the outcome would doubtlessly be utterly unbelievable.

I'd really like to see two of Sonic's themes mixed in with eachother. Say for example the intro to Sonic 1 or Sonic&K, with it doesn't matter or open your heart.

As you can see, I'm in favor of having a vocal theme.

I think each game is fine with having it's own theme, but for cutscenes and stuff I think Sonic's theme should be an orchestrated (or rock, or a mix of the two) version of the original S1 title screen theme. But besides that I like the variety of different themes for each game.

Then again, I wasn't too fond of Endless Possibilities or Reach for the Stars. They had great orchestral boss remixes, but the main themes themselves sounded pretty lame to me. His World was cool, but I preferred the instrumental versions since I didn't like the singing that much. I think the Genesis - Gamecube eras had much better main themes. If the rest of the games' themes sound like this style, I'd prefer we go back to the S1 theme.