Awoo.

Mr. Robot

Chaos Walker

270px-E102gamma.png

Anyone miss this guy or his gameplay? Would you like to see him come back in a spinoff or party game? Or maybe some crazy plot twist involving Chaos Gama that brings back the original?

Me:

Gamma seems to be a fan favorite for the same reason as Shadow could be: He was established as likable, then died, and never changed in the hearts of fans. I liked Gamma for his simplicity, design, and gameplay. Yes, I liked his spaztic platformer shump, and I really think it could have been built on if he had stayed around. (Instead it was inherited by clunky tank characters.)

We already have Omega (despite his immense hatedom that continues to baffle me), might as we'll make use of him and not drag Gamma's name through the mud

Edited by Soniman032-
  • Thumbs Up 2

GAMMA!!!

To be honest, I do miss his gameplay. It was one of my favorites out of SA1 and it would be nice to see a little nod to him in generations. I think that if Sonic Team ever decides to test their skills with other characters again(I think they should), then they should give Omega Gamma's gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gamma is a decent character and yet wholly forgettable in the grand scheme of things. His relevance in the main goings-on of SA1 was fairly minimal at best, decreasing the overall impact of his suicide. Plus, his gameplay shtick's been kind of upended by Omega anyway. I don't really miss him, nor am I sure you can bring him back in any meaningful manner considering his original animal is gone forever.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gamma was a great character. His story was one of the few truly smart pieces in the series, and it was surprisingly tight and powerful for the series' first attempt at telling detailed stories. But his death is essential to that story, and I can't imagine any attempt at bringing him back that doesn't cheapen it. Even aside from being dead, his arc ended, and any attempt to give him a new one would be forced and would likely lead to him overstaying his welcome. He was a character in a story with a definite end, and that's part of what made it work; if you try to write a story with no end, there's a very high chance it'll turn into a zombie, walking eternally, but with no spark of life in it.

So no. Gamma must not come back. Ever.

Gameplay is a different matter entirely, but to be honest...it really wasn't good. You could salvage the broad strokes; platforming, gun, lock-on, maybe the time mechanic but I was never too fond of it. But Gamma was clunky, the gameplay simplistic, and the time gimmick barely ever came into play...if you wanted to make something from it, you'd have to build so far beyond it that it wouldn't be Gamma's gameplay any more.

• Thumbs Up 8

I don't really miss him, nor am I sure you can bring him back in any meaningful manner considering his original animal is gone forever.

While I don't personaly support bringing back Gamma, I do think the writers could BS it in. First of all, that bird only flew away. It wasn't gunned down or anything, and for all we know it's still out there. Secondly, I don't think the animals are directly connected to the robot's consciousness. Gama's parts were used in Chaos gamma, and Omega. I think a clever (or stupid) writer could easily work with those.

Gamma was awesome, but the developers should respect the fact that his story had a very good ending and he should not be brought back. I think he came back in Sonic Battle, but I haven't played that so I can't really criticize it.

Omega isn't as cool, but he's been established enough that they might as well stick to him and let Gamma's moment stay in the past.

I think he came back in Sonic Battle, but I haven't played that so I can't really criticize it.

It was just a copy.

I'd like to have Gamma come back in a party or racing game, or in another game's 2p Vs mode.

Cameos like we saw in Sonic Adventure 2 or Sonic Battle will suffice, really. The original is gone, and it's better if he lives on through little nods, the biggest one being Omega himself, though they are completely different in personality.

I think the SA2 route of making a ton of drones modeled after Gamma would be the better idea, particularly as various worker bots in Eggman's base stages. I think it's a good idea to add more variety to Eggman's already colorful and diverse robot army.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to say that it is incredibly ironic when least known characters like Nack the Weasel are mentioned more than Gamma. This is the first topic on the internet that I've seen so far that actually focuses on Gamma; searching his name on, say, Retro wouldn't give very spectacular finds. I last counted 4 times his name came up on the site a number of months back, and that's when I gave up looking.

Gamma is dead, unless he appears in generations he should stay that way or else risk suffering Shadow syndrome if brought back. For gameplay though, I honestly wouldn't mind a spinoff title involving either Omega or Eggman in his mech with gameplay similar to Gamma/SA2 Tails & Eggman (though it would obviously be improved from those games), But ONLY IF it is kept in that spinoff title and not tacked onto a main series title; don't want another werehog now do we?

Don't we remember the LAST time Sega brought a certain character back from the dead? So no.

Not to mention we have Omega and if Sonic Team ever decides to use him again Gemerl from Sonic Advance 3.

I've always wondered what Omega thinks of Gamma. In Heroes he implies that he thinks that Gamma was weak. Maybe he could find some of Gamma's files or something.

Don't we remember the LAST time Sega brought a certain character back from the dead? So no.

Yeah, that had more to do with poor handling than the simple ressureftion of the character.

Not to mention thqt said character's "death" was incredibly ambiguous to where they had more than enough wiggle room to bring him back, comPared to Omega being shot at point blank and then exploding. Details are an importnat thing.

Yeah, Gamma's the nicest character in the games. He's a robot, yet he willingly sacrificed himself to save a tiny little bird ;_; It would be nice to see him reborn if that was handled properly.

If Gamma HAD to come back, I'd prefer it was a one time thing that ended with him dying again.

If Gamma HAD to come back, I'd prefer it was a one time thing that ended with him dying again.

That's the thing, "again". A character coming back and dying again doesn't have the same impact as the first time; it's a small-scale version of the superhero comic revolving door issue.

That's true. But what would you do with Gamma if he came back? Make him lead a pacifist party or what? It would be better to make him die again, but not in a tear-jerking way. More like something ironic or cynical for a change. Sonic's world is so crappy that Gamma could be brought from the dead just to point it out.

I could certainly see a sort of "If anyone's going to stay behind it's me. I've all ready died once, I don't belong in this world anyhow, etc, etc ( *insert death)

Or Eggman just undoes him. Like "I brought you back but you're being a pain sooo.... good bye. (*pushes button, explosion)

Personaly I think what they did with Chaos gamma was best, and I wish they had played more with the " 'You remind me of someone imporant to me' 'Yeah well I'm not' " thing.

Edited by Chaos Walker

That's the thing, "again". A character coming back and dying again doesn't have the same impact as the first time; it's a small-scale version of the superhero comic revolving door issue.

I disagree. And I'm going to use the Megaman franchise as an example.

Zero, a well established character holds a record of dying 3 times in the series, one in MMX1, again in MMX5, and again in MMZ4, and he was resurrected each time. Out of all these deaths, it was his third one that had the greatest impact and was the saddest. And he still came back, although in the form of an artifact centuries later. None of those resurrections were considered cheap or bad in any way, and he is still seen in a positive light.

So it really depends, as redundant saying this is, on how its handled. Really, that just seems to be the answer for just about everything regarding fiction, because while we say these things should be a rule or norm, there are a number of ways people have gotten away with flat out breaking them in front of our faces and not a fuck was given.

That's true. But what would you do with Gamma if he came back?
I wouldn't bring him back in the first place.

Zero, a well established character holds a record of dying 3 times in the series, one in MMX1, again in MMX5, and again in MMZ4, and he was resurrected each time. Out of all these deaths, it was his third one that had the greatest impact and was the saddest. And he still came back, although in the form of an artifact centuries later. None of those resurrections were considered cheap or bad in any way, and he is still seen in a positive light.
I'm not a hardcore Mega Man fan and I don't really follow the fanbase, but I always got the sense that his repeated deaths and resurrections were kind of a joke.

I'm not a hardcore Mega Man fan and I don't really follow the fanbase, but I always got the sense that his repeated deaths and resurrections were kind of a joke.

As a hardcore Mega Man fan, I half agree with this. I mean, on the one hand, it's a somewhat important character trait for him. He's a very selfless person, and willing to sacrifice himself for his friends. On the other hand though, repeat an action enough times, and it lends itself to absurdity. "Warning, Boss Fight? Self destruct activated."

But then again, Zero is a fucking tragic figure when you think about it. Nothing has ever gone well for him. He sacrificed himself to let X get to Sigma in X1, e had to kill his love interest in X4, and her brother who was his friend as well, found out his existence was responsible for pretty much every robot conflict since the start of the X series, sacrificed himself to save X's life in X5, was revived only to be in the shit that was X6-X8, had to be locked away and left to rot for years so his system could be re-calibrated, awakens years later with no memory and having to fight against a clone of his now dead best friend X, and then has to kill a human being (Dr. Weil) in order to stop a space colony from crashing, therefor becoming a maverick, and then dying as the colony explodes, leaving behind another love interest to mourn him for the rest of her life.

And don't get me started on his "soul" or "identity" being placed in a little battle armor attachment. I can't think of a single worse way to go through the rest of my life than as being worn as skin by some cocky teenager.

I know this is kind of off topic, but I always thought that Gamma was a girl (even though robots don't have genders.), y'know since gamma had the Mother Bird in him, and Beta had the Father Bird, but I have no idea how the birds affect their gender.

Ah yes, Gamma. His story was perhapes the only story told in the Sonic series that truly significantly moved me (but then again, Tails gaining some more confidence by defeating Eggman by himself in SA1 was pretty touching as well, in a happy, beautiful way rather than a tragic one).

And regarding whether i would like him to come back to life somehow, im gonna have to say no. Let's allow him to rest in peace, and just let the beautiful memory of him live on.