Awoo.

'The Simpsons' under threat from cancellation

PaddyFancy

The Simpsons is reportedly facing cancellation.

The long-running animated series could be axed due to a contract dispute between the show's voice actors and 20th Century Fox, The Daily Beast reports.

The studio purportedly wants the actors to agree to a 45% pay cut or it will cease production on the Fox series. Meanwhile, the actors have offered to take a 30% cut as long as they receive a small portion of the show's back-end earnings.

Earlier today, 20th Century Fox released a statement regarding the contract negotiations, insisting that it is committed to finding a solution to the dispute.

"23 seasons in, The Simpsons is as creatively vibrant as ever and beloved by millions around the world," reads the statement. "We believe this brilliant series can and should continue, but we cannot produce future seasons under its current financial model.

"We are hopeful that we can reach an agreement with the voice cast that allows The Simpsons to go on entertaining audiences with original episodes for many years to come."

Breaking Bad star Bryan Cranston recently signed on to voice a spy on the animated series, while Glee's Jane Lynch will play Homer's new personal assistant in an upcoming episode.

The Simpsons first premiered in December 1989. It is the longest-running American sitcom, the longest-running American animated programme and the longest-running American primetime scripted television series ever.

The Simpsons returns October 16 at 8/7c on Fox.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a343842/the-simpsons-facing-cancellation-over-contract-dispute.html

Even if Fox cancel it, I can see it moving to another network like Futurama did, because apparently the show is just too good to lose.......right?

Bet there will be mixed feelings about this little development. Glee and sadness etc.

I'm torn between not caring whatsoever and being pissed because I assume this is being done for Seth McFarlane-related reasons.

This is no surprise at all. The Simpsons is definitely the best TV show (well one of them) and it would be terrible if it got cancelled. It has been going on for an extremely long time (oh I know I'm being a Captain Obvious, so what...). I can see it moving to another network too.

Oh wow, don't know how to feel about this.

If The Simpsons ever ended anytime soon, I wanted it to be because the creators themselves thought it was time to end it, not because it was being cancelled. And seeing how it's currently got 23 seasons under it's belt, I was kinda hoping it would reach a nice number like 25 to end on.

I'm torn between not caring whatsoever and being pissed because I assume this is being done for Seth McFarlane-related reasons.

If it was I would raeg so hard.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 2

There's many Simpsons fans who are not into the new episodes, so they won't care if get cancels after season 23. I've been a Simpsons watcher since 1990 or 1991 and I like the new episodes. Sure they're not as brilliant as the old ones, but they still have some substance and it's still entertaining. Whenever a studio has to do cuts... I usually see things not going so well. Hopefully things will be different and the show will continue.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe find new Writers?

At this point there really are tons and tons of people who don't like the new Episodes. Has it gone that far that theres some Fan-Fiction in an attempt to live up to the old stories of Episodes? You know how Sonic Fans make Retro-2d Fangames.

Edited by ChikaBoing

They need to get rid of Al Jean. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Simpsons was at its very best when they changed producers regularly, and once Jean came on full-time we saw it take a nosedive and found the show's golden age behind us. They need fresh blood on the writing team and they need fresh producers; not one, but many. Bring new blood in every so often, keep it fresh.

Hmmm, it would be sad if it ended like this. But I which they would end it now I find personally old and tried either that or like others have said bring in new writers and producers to breathe some new life into to it at least.sleep.png

Rebooting Simpsons woudn't work. Theres too many Self-Contained Episodes and Jokes in the Series itself about that stuff.

I prefer American Dad *shot*

The chances of this show going off the TV are impossible, if The Simpsons are cancelled many will RAAAEEEGGGG

Rebooting Simpsons woudn't work. Theres too many Self-Contained Episodes and Jokes in the Series itself about that stuff.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care either way? I mean, yeah, it'd be sad to see such a legendary animated cartoon go down because of a contract dispute, but I've only seen, like, two episodes out of the series in my life, so it probably wouldn't have too big an effect on me.

That being said, it's highly unlikely that they will pull the plug on the series. It has generated far too many fans, and, in my mind, has probably been around far too long to kill over something like this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who doesn't really care either way? I mean, yeah, it'd be sad to see such a legendary animated cartoon go down because of a contract dispute, but I've only seen, like, two episodes out of the series in my life, so it probably wouldn't have too big an effect on me.

That being said, it's highly unlikely that they will pull the plug on the series. It has generated far too many fans, and, in my mind, has probably been around far too long to kill over something like this.

No, good sir. You are not the only one. I'm with you too.

Except I was actually a fan of the show during the Mid/Late 90s. I started to notice the decline in quality so I just stopped watching. Sometimes I do see a new one every now and then. I can't help but cringe all the way through. I can probably name over 20 episodes that are my super favorites from the past, yet the only thing I can think of that they did really funny recently was have the Comic Book Guy appearing in the Cleveland Show. I don't even like that show, it was just on the TV and there he was, saying "Worst. Cameo. Ever!"

It's always best for a show to end on a high note before it becomes a punchline. I reckon' it's too late for that. Unless they can fix it somehow, either way...I'm not interested...

Edited by Dan-imeJ86

For those saying it can move to another network, is that even possible? I mean, FOX -make- the series, don't they?

As for me?.... Eh. The Simpsons jumped the shark a long, long time ago now. Not to say the new episodes aren't at least watchable, but the show is without a doubt an empty, pale imitation of its former self. There are hundreds and hundreds of episodes, anyway. It's not like we'd be seeing the same episodes all that often even if they just showed repeats forever.

I'm only still watching the old Episodes from the 90's over and over again when they air. But I like that it's still running, so that'll make sad of there is no more.

Edited by ChikaBoing

Also, they said it was largely over pay disputes with the voice actors, wasn't it? FOX wanted them to take pay cuts of 45%, they put their foot down at 30%.

Considering the voice actors each make about eight million USD a year (if what I read is true), I think they're being horrifically greedy. The show has what, 22 episodes a year, is it? And each episode is basically twenty minutes. Yes, it's true that their pay should be proportionate to the amount of money the show brings in and is therefore worth, but even so. Even if their pay was cut to four million a year, I they're hardly going to go hungry, are they?

On the other hand, it depends, really. If FOX genuinely can't afford to keep paying them that much because the show is making less money than it used to, then fine. If, however, the show is still raking it in and the company is simply trying to cut their pay just for the sake of cutting costs and increasing their own profits, that's not really right, obscene wages or not.

Considering the voice actors each make about eight million USD a year (if what I read is true), I think they're being horrifically greedy. The show has what, 22 episodes a year, is it? And each episode is basically twenty minutes. Yes, it's true that their pay should be proportionate to the amount of money the show brings in and is therefore worth, but even so. Even if their pay was cut to four million a year, I they're hardly going to go hungry, are they?

So, basically, they are being greedy for not wanting to take a pay cut, except they aren't, except they are.

And no, $360,000 an episode isn't particularly a lot of money compared to what most sitcom stars make; and I would be amazed if The Simpsons didn't make more money now than it ever has in the past.

I've never got why they haven't asked the producers of Futurama to help bolster the show. They knew how to bring an animated prime-time animated sitcom out of a slump.

So, basically, they are being greedy for not wanting to take a pay cut, except they aren't, except they are.

And no, $360,000 an episode isn't particularly a lot of money compared to what most sitcom stars make; and I would be amazed if The Simpsons didn't make more money now than it ever has in the past.

I'm totally behind the actors for this one. I wouldn't want to take a 45% paycut either, regardless of what I was making. I don't think anyone would.

Nobody wants to take a 45% pay cut, but the stars of the Simpsons get paid silly money - until this pay dispute, it was around $400,000 per actor per episode. They're very wealthy people now, and while a 45% pay cut is a lot, I'm sure it won't leave them destitute.

Wow that sucks. I mean I'm not as much of a Simpsons fan as I used to be, but I'd like the show to go on.

Imagine, if there ever was a final episode, almost everyone in the world would watch it, just because it's the Simpsons.

Not really sure what to say about this. I mean, I still like the show... most of the time, even if it's lost a lot of steam over the decade. Still, I wish it was this they canceled to make room for The Cleveland Show instead of King of the Hill.

Edited by SuperStingray