Awoo.

'The Simpsons' under threat from cancellation

PaddyFancy

Fulfilling a prophecy first spoken aloud by Troy McClure, a Fox executive has confirmed to The Wrap that The Simpsons is “no longer profitable for the network”

$20 bucks says that translates to "we got a 'new' Seth McFarlane show on the backburner."

• Thumbs Up 4

$20 bucks says that translates to "we got a 'new' Seth McFarlane show on the backburner."

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

The.Simpsons.S21E10.Once_.Upon_.a.Time_.in_.Springfield.jpg

These gags seem so awkward now. ._.

I dunno, I knew the show would end someday but, for some reason at the back of my mind I always pictured the show going beyond 30 seasons or some other impossible number.

• Thumbs Up 1

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... i really cant think of anything else to say right now. This is terrible news.

So, is it actually confirmed yet that the 24th season will be the final one? All I've heard is the odd bit of hearsay so far.

I like Family Guy and American Dad! *puts up huge flame shield* unsure.png

I am kinda sad that the Simpsons might end but also kind of glad that it might finish because I think its getting old now.

The movie was meh, the trailers showed you the most funny parts and new episodes are just uninteresting to me now.

I've had fond memories of the older episodes but I've seen some really good recent ones as well, so it's hard to condemn the show altogether since I've barely watched it ever since it turned to what others call shit. At least we got a pretty kickass movie out of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Alas, the Simpsons are no more :( this show had stellar run, it may have gone downhill in the recent years but not nearly to the point where I'd call it shit(like certain other things). No matter what, I think Homer and the rest will live on in our hearts forever. DO'H!

All good things come to an end eventually so I'm going to enjoy the hell out of everything I like while it lasts :D

I'm not surprised. The voice actor salaries have been an issue more than once over the show's history. Here's a quick recap of their salaries over the history of the show (not including any backend profits such as DVD sales):

+------------+------------+

|Timeframe   | US$/episode|

|1989-1998   |	    30,000|

|1998-2004   |	   125,000|

|2004-2008   |	   250,000|

|2008-2011   |	   400,000|

|FOX'S OFFER |	   250,000|

|VA'S OFFER  |	   280,000|

Wasn't expecting the show to get cancelled in the first place, it's one of Fox's long-running cash cows. It would kinda be a dumb move if they ended the show.

I'm not surprised. The voice actor salaries have been an issue more than once over the show's history. Here's a quick recap of their salaries over the history of the show (not including any backend profits such as DVD sales):

|Timeframe   | US$/episode|

|1989-1998   |		30,000|

|1998-2004   |	   125,000|

|2004-2008   |	   250,000|

|2008-2011   |	   400,000|

|FOX'S OFFER |	   250,000|

|VA'S OFFER  |	   280,000|

I find it amusing that the voice actor's pay more than tripled at a stage where most people believed the show to have already jumped the shark. If anything, you'd have thought they'd be making the biggest money back when the show was in its prime.

Also, if those figures are correct, where did all the rumours of "They each make $8 million a year" come from? These figures certainly seem more believeable.

Edited by -Mark-

Also, if those figures are correct, where did all the rumours of "They each make $8 million a year" come from? These figures certainly seem more believeable.

$400 000 per episode

22 episodes per season

$8 800 000 earned per season

Problem?

Eh, I'm not extremely phased by it staying. (Though I'd love to see one of MacFarlane's shows go first.) I barely watch the show. It would just seem weird that a show that has ran for so long would be cancelled, so I kinda didn't see it going anywhere, at least for now.

Also, Futurama is so much better.

Edited by Sapphire

Renewed for 2 more seasons? Why am I not surprised! Don't get me wrong, the Simpsons was funny, and the movie was great, but it's gotten stale to the point of where it needs to end its run. I wonder what kind of ratings its getting these days anyway?

According to this website, the last episode only got 6.12 million. Last season's average was reportedly 7.10 million, which was the lowest ever.

Here's a page which also sums up a bit about recent ratings from the last season and its finale, to put things in slightly more context. Its unashamedly willing for the show to end, but seemed to be one of the few places last week that knew the show would continue, despite any staff dispute.

Must say I haven't bothered watching The Simpsons in years excluding one episode I did accidentally end up watching recently about Norwegian immigrants and it was terrible, so I can't have been missing much.