Awoo.

Samsung & Apple Go To War

Patticus

Samsung versus Apple  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Whose side are you on?

• Fuck 'em up Samsung, fuck 'em up good.
    • Kick their imitating arses, Apple Overlords.
    • Sony forever!

Samsung wants the iPhone 4S banned in Europe. The Korean company, which makes the Samsung Galaxy S2, has fired off a legal challenge to the newly announced iPhone.

iphone-4s-banned.jpg

Samsung claims that "Apple has continued to flagrantly violate our intellectual property rights and free ride on our technology". Them's fightin' words!

In the run-up to the Apple announcement, Samsung was poised with a fistful of patents, ready to pounce upon the new iPhone, whatever it turned out to be.

Now that that Apple has announced the iPhone 4S, an upgraded version of the iPhone 4, Samsung has wielded the injunction stick and swung the banhammer down. The two injunction motions have been filed in Paris and Milan today, with more injunctions to follow in other countries "after further review".

The legal challenge is based around Samsung's claim that Apple is using technology for which Sammy owns the patents. Patents are like copyright for inventions, and today's injunctions refer specifically to Wideband Code Division Multiple Access (WCDMA) standards for 3G mobile handsets. Oh, those.

The two companies are locked in knock-down drag-out legal battle, like two giant atomic lizards grappling in mortal mutant combat. Apple claims that Samsung has copied the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad with its Galaxy phones and Galaxy Tab tablets, even down to the packaging and accessories.

Apple managed to get the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Tab 7.7 banned with similar injunctions, so Samsung is countering with the patent claims.

The iPhone 4S goes on sale in the UK, US and parts of Europe on 14 October.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/iphone-4s-ban-sought-by-samsung-50005508/

To my mind, I think that Samsung has a pretty good reason to be hating on Apple after the shit they pulled. If I were a Samsung executive, I'd be seeking to piss all over Apple's shiny white parade whenever the opportunity arises.

But no matter who loses, the only winners will be the patent lawyers involved.

I forgot that Polls existed on IP Board forums.

But yeah, I generally like Samsung's products, so like, I'm on their side with this.

My god! Theres a poll! On SSMB!

Is this a sign of the end of the world?

Urm... Not sure what to think at this stage since theres so many patent challenges going around. I wonder what the potential cost to Samsung will be if they get the injunction, but lose the final court battle?

Mind you... I suspect they'll settle it out of court.

I got an iPod Nano, and a Samsung Tocco Lite mobile. Unfortunately I am not a fan of phones at all so I can't side with anyone, least of all Samsung. I hate phones, full stop.

If only to spite Apple's frequent and flagrant abuse of patent laws to reinforce their de facto monopoly on this stuff, I'm fully behind Samsung telling Apple to piss off.

• Thumbs Up 2

Definitely on Samsung's side for this one. Apple's been pretty much monopolizing in the market for super-smartphones, and definitely in the market for tablets.

That, and I just plain hate Apple for their ridiculous prices on laptops.

I personally hope that Crapple get all that they deserve; a good kick in the bollocks from Samsung, if only for a little revenge.

SONY ALL THE WAY!!!!! I Fucking LOVE the Xperia Arc!!!

What's that? Apple vs Samsung?

Oh yeah......forgot about that...

So...er...yeah. Apple should fuck right off. I mean the iPhone 4 and the 4S are undoubtedly formidable smartphones, that you cannot argue with. However, their constant "Innovation" nonsense and constant claims of being the "first" were getting on my nerves. Now that they're literally trying to monopolise the market by having competitor products removed from shops, they can fuck right off. That is bullshit.

I hope the 4S does get banned. It would hit Apple where it really hurts.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmmm, Apple were constantly used as the nicer opponent to Microsoft...but now they've become Microsoft. But at least Microsoft was bluntly forward in its under-handed court cases. Apple seems to work on pulling obscure and wishy-washy patents out of its ass...

Seriously, Samsung are a better company by far in general. I've dealt with Apple reps at work, they're cunts. Samsung reps? Rare, but great guys. Apple tripped over success with the iPod through pure marketing and teenage peer pressure. Is it the best on the market? Is it fuck, the Sony Walkman wipes its ass with the new Nano.

Multi-touch screen...1 inch wide. Wasn't the main draw of iPods ease-of-use?

• Thumbs Up 1