Awoo.

Sony's Andy Stewart to query Sega about PSN Sonic games?

Badnik Mechanic

So I was reading the PS Blog regarding this weeks store update... and there was a rather interesting comment on the first page from Andy Stewart who is a member of the playstation store team.

For those not keeping track.

Whilst XBLA and Steam have had pretty much every classic Sonic game including Sonic Spinball for a great many month now, the PSN has only just started to recieve them this year.

When Sega started doing their Sega Vintage promotion on the PSN, it's seen Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 being released on the store, along with Comix Zone, Altered Beast, Streets of Rage 2 and Golden Axe.

However, with regards to Sonic, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic Spinball have not yet appeared with no reason as to why, and no signs of this ever appearing.

However, on todays store update entry If you scroll down to comment number 40. You see this from PSN member sir_gunnalot

Third time’s a charm (maybe I should stop posting this comment at about page 6)

Since “the competition” have all the Sonic the Hedgehog Megadrive classics (1,2,3,& Knuckles and Spinball), and we have Sonic Adventure and Sonic 4 (and Sonic CD is incoming), I was just wondering if there is any word on the last of the Sonic Megadrive games coming to the PSN? We don’t have Sonic & Knuckles or Sonic Spinball, while Xbox Live and Steam do.

To which the Andy Stewart replied with...

Not sure to be honest, will chat to SEGA about it.

Well now? It's better than being ignored right?

There isn't any technical reason why the PSN can't have those games on it, Sonic 1 & 2 are exact same as the versions on XBLA (they even have the same bugs =p ).

Something similar did happen a while ago with Sonic Unleashed's DLC (unless I'm getting mixed up) one part was released on one system (or it might have been a store) but never brought over to the other. Had it not been for AAUK it would never have been brought over to every store on every system (again I don't remember the exact details, only that it wasn't on something so AAUK had to make some calls to ensure it was on the next update).

So we might be seeing some kind of comment regarding Sonic 3's future on the PSN as well as spinball. Now... that said... if you are a PS3 user, don't let them forget about this, when they do their store updates, keep asking about it, in fact ask on the US PS blog too when that updates, because I'd really like to see those games on it, doubly so if they offer them as freebies for PSN+ users =D

edit: Turns out Sonic Spinball isn't on XBLA... Oh well... *Continues to read a newspaper*

Edited by Hogfather

In the Sonic section at PSN there is a Unleashed section but when I open it theres nothing there.

Weird, did they planed it but then something happen or what?

Just to note, XBLA doesn't have Sonic Spinball. And it's not like it's impossible to play Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles on PS3. Just get Ultimate Genesis/Megadrive Collection. On-demand download is another story.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just to note, XBLA doesn't have Sonic Spinball. And it's not like it's impossible to play Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles on PS3. Just get Ultimate Genesis/Megadrive Collection. On-demand download is another story.

There is a bit of a difference between those versions.

The stand alone games have online support for one thing, leaderboards and online co-op/vs modes. The compilation version does not have any of that.

Not to be a party pooper, but i doubt it will happen. There have been many polls about releasing S3K to PSN, all of them with a majority vote of yes. SEGA Representitive Aaron Webber treds those forums, so i'm sure it's been mentioned.

However, Sonic 4 might see a price drop. We've talked to Ken Balough on those forums, and i think he's taking it into consideration.

Not to be a party pooper, but i doubt it will happen. There have been many polls about releasing S3K to PSN, all of them with a majority vote of yes. SEGA Representitive Aaron Webber treds those forums, so i'm sure it's been mentioned.

Do any of those poll voters own or represent an online store service which has has a weekly revenue intake thats in the millions of dollars that also has a direct line to Segas sales department?

I suspect that they might be willing to spare an elevator ride to discuss the details if they were in that position.

Something similar did happen a while ago with Sonic Unleashed's DLC (unless I'm getting mixed up) one part was released on one system (or it might have been a store) but never brought over to the other. Had it not been for AAUK it would never have been brought over to every store on every system (again I don't remember the exact details, only that it wasn't on something so AAUK had to make some calls to ensure it was on the next update).

I think this is what you're referring to. Yeah, the DLC didn't come to the EU PS Store until nearly a year later when a fan got in touch with AAUK and he then sorted it out.

There is a bit of a difference between those versions.

The stand alone games have online support for one thing, leaderboards and online co-op/vs modes. The compilation version does not have any of that.

Depends on the game. Sonic 2 understandable, although in the end no one is playing its 2P mode online on a regular basis. The XBLA version of Sonic 3 doesn't have multiplayer period. Leaderboards for the classic Sonics specifically are pointless since everyone's found a means to max out your score in all those games.

Thus, you do not need them on PSN.

Yeah yeah whatever.

Do we really need to dig up the Xbox version of that as well as the many PC compilations as a counter? Not to mention how that specific collection now out of print anyway.

Or can we all start to get a life and actually discuss the possability of them being up for download as their own seperate things instead of trying to be funny?

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 2

Do any of those poll voters own or represent an online store service which has has a weekly revenue intake thats in the millions of dollars that also has a direct line to Segas sales department?

I suspect that they might be willing to spare an elevator ride to discuss the details if they were in that position.

True, Sony are masters at business. And no, i'm not being sarcastic.

I still think Sonic 4 might see a price drop soon.

mega-drive-ultimate-collection-box.jpg

Lol.

Most owners of that game have stated that those are butchered ports. ntm they added Sonic & Knuckles but not Sonic 3.

The collection is a waste of money. I'd rather have one game ported well opposed to a bunch of butchered ones.

Edited by Solkia

Lol. I'm assuming you don't know much about that collection.

Most owners of that game have stated that those are butchered ports. ntm they added Sonic & Knuckles but not Sonic 3.

The collection is a waste of money. I'd rather have one game ported well opposed to a bunch of butchered ones.

The ports are the same as the PSN/XBLA Re-releases.

Sonic 3 is there. Sonic Knuckles is there. No Lock-On though.

The audio is just horrible on both the collection and the PSN/XBLA-versions.

The ports are the same as the PSN/XBLA Re-releases.

Sonic 3 is there. Sonic Knuckles is there. No Lock-On though.

The audio is just horrible on both the collection and the PSN/XBLA-versions.

Lol.

Do we really need to dig up the Xbox version of that as well as the many PC compilations as a counter? Not to mention how that specific collection now out of print anyway.

Edited by eXtaticus

mega-drive-ultimate-collection-box.jpg

Lol, I platinumed this game, and got all the trophies from Sonic 1&2.

The needy Sonic fanboy in me wants their to be a downloadable version of Sonic 3 on PSN. To re-complete my collection lol.

The 360/PS3 Genesis collection had sound problems. ESPECIALLY with Streets of rage 3.

^ The re-releases use identical emulation technology, with equally trashy audio emulation.

And unfortunately, the only way to get anywhere near pixel-perfect emulation of the MegaDrive is Kega - though the next best thing down from that is the official PC-format emulator. There doesn't exist a piece of software on any console capable of Kega-grade levels of accuracy, and that's a fact.