Awoo.

The Visual Style of Sonic

Indigo Rush

If SONIC '06 compared to Unleashed told me anything, it's that everything around Sonic should adapt to him design-wise in regards to not looking as if it (Or Sonic) crept from the darkest depths of Uncanny Valley.

When I walk around Soleanna, I can't help but think "Goddamit this looks so awful it's almost....no...IS painful" regarding the realistic and ugly realistic humans at that compared to a broad, vastly different-looking bipedal hedgehog. Unleashed inspired the opposite thought, because it's as if Sonic Team learned from SONIC '06 and made the humans in the hubs compliment Sonic, not contrast with him.

Sonic Chronicles also seemed to get this right with the humans next to the main characters. Maybe not to the expert degree of Unleashed but still charismatic as well as suitably designed.

As for visual style, more of Unleashed plz. Really couldn't fault that in any way, shape or form personally. The models were the best of ANY Sonic game as well as their animation and the levels are rendered gorgeously and so well that they still don't detract from Sonic for all their realism.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperStingray

• Phos

• lounge

• redmenace

One thing I love about Unleashed's design is that it took the real world and made it larger than life. Everything was hugely made everything stand out and while it's based on real world ideas, everything was bigger than life, like the giant tree in Mazuri, the huge glaciers in Holaska, the humongous skyscrapers in Empire City, etc.

FUND IT.

Seriously, though, that would make a fine visual style. Totally surreal without being ridiculous about it.

I've always thought the Sonic Shuffle intro looked really lifeless. They look like animate statues made out of that shiny plastic that Samsung covers all their TV's with.

All of the Sonic Shuffle character models are actually just cel-shaded versions of the Adventure models. If they're going to do a cel-shaded game I want them to take inspiration from Jet Set Radio, that game is 9 years old now and is still gorgeous to look at.

The Sonic shuffle models definitely aren't the Adventure models. I've seen a rip of them, each of Sonic's quills has about six faces. If not for the cel shading, it would look like a 3DO game. And this game still had horrible loading times.

I actually like all the different styles, which at the end of the day only happen because of people complaining all the time lol. I don't mind that they're all different either, it keeps it fresh and interesting to me, I like to see what it's going to be like next.

All of the Sonic Shuffle character models are actually just cel-shaded versions of the Adventure models.

Not really. If you look at the picture in the OP, Sonic is still is a bit pudgy and has shorter legs than he has today.

Blinding colours ahoy, the Sonic classics, Adventures and Heroes all fit into these. I don't see why a futuristic approach can't go hand in hand with this, the latter levels of each one of these show good examples. I loved Unleashed as well but like some pointed out, even more colourful and unreal the better.

The Sonic Shuffle one looks cool and everyone who has played or seen videos of Jet Set Radio knows SEGA knows how to make this awesome (cel-shaded characters and 3D "real" environment). The CANVAS Engine could be another option, which would look really cool as well, but a Sonic game can't deal with this engine because of the drawing limitations (there's some itchy edges in VC, I wonder what would happen if a gazillion things needed to be drawn as quickly as a Sonic level needs to be). It might work for cutscenes, but not for the whole game. (I think)

All of the Sonic Shuffle character models are actually just cel-shaded versions of the Adventure models. If they're going to do a cel-shaded game I want them to take inspiration from Jet Set Radio, that game is 9 years old now and is still gorgeous to look at.

This.

If SONIC '06 compared to Unleashed told me anything, it's that everything around Sonic should adapt to him design-wise in regards to not looking as if it (Or Sonic) crept from the darkest depths of Uncanny Valley.

And this.

Edited by redmenace

I like the slightly chubbier look. Sonic has been made so streamline and thin now to appeal to the anorexic society. He was still the fastest thing alive when he was small and dumpy why did that change? I do like them having eye colours though that I like a lot I ... oh my God Sonic Shuffle opening video is lovely! Thank you for sharing that.

I also agree with Verte, Sonic is looking fine but the stuff around him lacks depth and adaptation to fit in with him.

In terms of the best looking... Unleashed with more Adventure-like humans and some Riders futurism.

But otherwise, as Mollfie said, it's interesting to see different styles... cel-shading would be a lovely addition in a spin-off game.

I like the slightly chubbier look. Sonic has been made so streamline and thin now to appeal to the anorexic society. He was still the fastest thing alive when he was small and dumpy why did that change?

Because times change. They'll never stay the same forever. ^_^

...and why are you calling folks anorexic for liking the style? I favor the streamline Sonic because it shows a trait of athleticism for him, how does that make me anorexic?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Because times change. They'll never stay the same forever. ^_^

This is a video game series we're talking about. A video game that series that definitely does not benefit from continuity.

Also, a teardrop is the most aerodynamic shape. With the round body and quills on his back, the old design forms one.

Edited by Phos

Hmm.. I like most of Sonic's designs but a cel-shaded blend of both his classic and post-Adventure styles would be cool! ^_^

Also, a teardrop is the most aerodynamic shape. With the round body and quills on his back, the old design forms one.

So does the new one. ;)

So does the new one. ;)

Not as well. Even the old design is pushing it, but the newer one, especially the awful one used in 06, there's too big of a gap in the shape for that to work.

I love the zero gravity sonic render at the SSMB top banner. Great detail (especially on the gloves). Cool dimensions, Nice glasses. Everything the new sonic should stick with.

I can tolerate and even enjoy the Riders designs for the Riders series, but seeing them anywhere else would be dreadful. The're made to compliment the style of the Riders games because it's all about Extreme Gear and futuristic designs. I positively adore the futuristic and sci-fi fantasy crazytude of them, they share that trait with Sonic CD and Heroes to a lesser extend, so I'd love to see that part return for the main series. But yeah, not the character designs.

I love the zero gravity sonic render at the SSMB top banner. Great detail (especially on the gloves). Cool dimensions, Nice glasses. Everything the new sonic should stick with.

Those look like snowboarding gloves. They (kind of) make sense for Sonic Riders, but anywhere else I'd wonder why Sonic is wearing gloves like that. Way too hot for regular climates because they aren't breathable, and they'd take forever to dry if they got wet.

And are you talking about the glasses that are too small to cover his eyes!?

When I was younger and saw the Sonic Adventure art with the bigger legs, I thought that Sonic had grown up. He still had the round body (although not as big I know) but had bigger legs. The change wasn't that abismal to me.

Not as well. Even the old design is pushing it, but the newer one, especially the awful one used in 06, there's too big of a gap in the shape for that to work.

The new design actually seems to have a better teardrop design to me. In the oldest designs, his quills were apparently very flat whereas in the new one, they stick out further and are much more streamlined.

And I never really saw what the big deal about the 06 proportions was. I really only think they were poorly received because it seemed awkward compared to Elise's.

Edited by A Ham Sandwich

Those look like snowboarding gloves.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Actually the same amount of glove detail in that render can also be found in ShtH's renders (his gloves are normal).

And are you talking about the glasses that are too small to cover his eyes!?
I think the glasses are meant to only cover his pupils. He shouldn't even be have glasses covering his eyes, I just think they look cool when he leaves them on his head.

The old one looks more like two congruent balls stacked on top of each other if you ask me, but whateva... B)

Sometimes it really amazes me that people really give that much of a damn about what Sonic looks like. As long as he's sleek, blue and spiky, that's enough for me unless he looks retarded*.

Level design is a whole different story though. Not sure if it's really related to the topic at all, but it really irks me when ultra-realism and classic-cartoony features go hand-to-hand in the same game. Most 3D games before Unleashed do this to an extent, but Sonic '06 is an especially bad offender in that springs, boost pads and arbitary loops look REALLY out of place. I don't mind either art direction seperately, but mixing them together tends to make hideous results in my experience.

*If you want my definition of what "retarded" looks like in relation to the topic, Egoraptor's Awesome the Hedgehog animation pretty much sums it up.

Edited by Blacklightning

Sometimes it really amazes me that people really give that much of a damn about what Sonic looks like. As long as he's sleek, blue and spiky, that's enough for me unless he looks retarded*.
People tend to nitpick when they're bored on forums. Even I do it.

Level design is a whole different story though. Not sure if it's really related to the topic at all, but it really irks me when ultra-realism and classic-cartoony features go hand-to-hand in the same game.
SA2 had some ultra realistic environments (Metal Harbor), and I didn't find it out of place. I actually found it cool to see a someone like sonic, running thru a place like that. Instead of the stereotypical checkered hills.

I kind of know what you mean, when a realistic environment looks bland like White Acropolis. But I think it's okay as long as the environments look cool.

I can't help but think that a cel-shaded Sonic would be cool, but otherwise, I'd like to see a mix of SA2 and Heroes- the lighting effects of Heroes, and the... well, everything else of Adventure 2.

Pretty much this. I can understand if people prefer the original design simply because they genuinely like it better, but I just don't like when people exaggerate the difference simply because the latter is associated with worse games. Whether they go for the classic or modern design, I'm fine as long as he looks good. But one thing I do think is important is his green eyes if only for the purpose of characterization. While I am fine with his classic design, one can really see his passion much better through his irises. Edited by A Ham Sandwich

I was just pointing out an interesting facet of the classic design. It only comes into play if his body is level with the direction he's moving in, which is hasn't been since they dropped the wheel o feet, or during the Super Peel Out.

Another issue with it is that it doen't do a very good job at existing in 3D. I found this out when I was making a classic styled model. It was looking pretty good from most sides, but then I turned it around and discovered that there's no way to make the gaps between the quills look cool. Apparently, the point of making them larger is to hide the roots.

Also, rigging his hips would be far from easy. I still think the tan ares should be part of a sphere, though.