Awoo.

Why is Tails considered physically weak?

Exploder

I don't know who in SEGA made this decision, but after his particularly badass fight with the Egg Walker in SA1 Tails has pretty much been stripped of any ability to fight physically for some reason. (Except for the handheld games, maybe.)

All the main games after that depict him as being so reliant on technology, particularly the Tornado it seems, that frankly he's now practically a cripple compared to Sonic, Knuckles or even Amy. And that it's pretty much the only reason for his character now. He doesn't even fly that much anymore.

Also, am I the only one who rolled my eyes when in Colors, Sonic told Tails 'We? I don't remember YOU fighting off any insane robots'? With the implication being he can't?

You know what? Maybe in Tails' next spotlight appearance (whether he's playable or not) there should be a massive EMP detonation in the area he's in that disables all technology within a 100-mile radius. Then a whole bunch of robots come in and he has to get out of that situation solely with his physical and intellectual abilities. Now that would be character development as well as an acknowledgement of this...issue.

So just why? They used to understand the concept of a Badass Bookworm, but it's clear they don't anymore. Hell, they don't even really seem to remember his NAME or most distinctive physical features!

• Thumbs Up 1

Tails can decapitate robots using his two tails

I don't see how he's a weakling. I can however, see how pudgy he is, and it's overwhelmingly cute.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no idea why he's considered physically weak. He has two AWESOME weapons sticking out from above his butt. He can pound the crap out of badniks with those things. Or slap them into orbit. Or blow them into each other. Or any other number of attacks. He had some good attacks in Sonic The Fighters and for a while it seemed like his tails would be getting the usage they deserve. Now he barely even flies with them. They're nothing more than a quirky namesake and talking point.

Certainly, there should be things that Sonic can do that Tails can't - Sonic can spindash through certain materials and his spines are sharp, so he can cut/slice things. But Tails' tails should be a formidable force in their own right. I have no idea why they're not.

• Thumbs Up 6

I could definently understand them getting rid of Tails' spindash and rolling jump, because based on species he really has no justification for having it - it was originally designed for Sonic on the justification that his spines let him function like some kind of fucking buzzsaw, so it begs the question of how Tails is supposed to do the same thing with nothing on him but fuzz. All the same though, the only thing he's had going for him physically lately is the asscopter, and even that I haven't seen in an absurdly long time. I know he's been relegated to the token inventor/mechanic plot device nowadays, but at the very least you'd think we would've gotten the tail whip back by now.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be fair, Tails always was pretty weak compared to the others. I do recall that in S3K, Super Tails couldn't destroy walls by just running into them like Super Sonic and just plain ol Knuckles could. He still needed to Spin Dash.

Tails can decapitate robots using his two tails

I don't see how he's a weakling. I can however, see how pudgy he is, and it's overwhelmingly cute.

I suggested this a little while back in a different topic. Grab the robot's body with on Tails, snap it's heck with the other. A cute yet deadly force. Also, it would boost his self esteem a little bit, and would be good for character development. Problem with the robot scenario would be that they should be deactivated by the EMP. Now if they're badniks and subsequently animal-powered, that would work. We need to come up with a moveset for Tails utilizing his Tails for melee attacks, instead of just using technology for everything. I'll get back to you on that.

Depends on what extent you mean by physically weak.

Tails was never a powerhouse to begin with, I think we all know that, but he is capable of rivaling the amount of destruction Sonic is capable of on his own. He hasn't been getting in any kind of action since...Sonic 06? (I was going to stretch it all the way to SA2 myself)

So I wouldn't call him physically weak than I would consider him a strong character. He is physically capable, that much should be known at least.

People who say that Tails is weak have obviously never spammed the Rhythm Badge/Jet Anklet in Sonic Adventure. They only just started wussing him up in Heroes (inb4wooooahmyheadisspinning). But pre-Heroes Tails was certainly a boss. And that Super form. MY GOD, THAT SUPER FORM.

nfr_42_comic.jpg

Edited by The Place-Rocker
  • Thumbs Up 6

Tails certainly doesn't need to be a powerhouse. It's fine if his physical strength is average at best. But it's an absolute shame and a travesty to not use his two tails for more than what they're currently used for (i.e. pretty much nothing).

I always thought it was because he was both young and the stereotypical "smart guy" who usually isn't that strong. Up until SA1 (and I guess you can say SA2) I thought Tails was somewhat equal in strength with Sonic just like how Luigi is somewhat equal in strength with Mario.

Yeah, and honestly, the only thing Tails ever does now is fly and build shit that allows him to conveniently resolve a tough situation.

For example:

"AW SHIT SON ALIENS TOO BAD WE CAN'T TALK TO THEM"

"HEY SONIC IT'S OKAY I JUST NOW BUILT THIS DEVICE THAT ALLOWS YOU TO TALK TO THEM"

"OMG TAILS YOU SO SMART"

Edited by The Place-Rocker
  • Thumbs Up 1

Because he's what...8 years old?

Tails is one of the youngest characters, he can't be a juggernaut. Sure he's competant, but not strong.

Because he's what...8 years old?

Tails is one of the youngest characters, he can't be a juggernaut. Sure he's competant, but not strong.

Funny you should say that, because there are characters both younger and smaller than him that as it stands right now, could easily outclass him. Charmy and Cheese spring to mind pretty quickly. Even more interesting is that this implies strength comes with age, when if anything the exact opposite has happened to Tails later on in the series.

Hell, it's not even like the age gap between the stronger characters is particularly large, or that they're especially old in of themselves. To the best of my knowledge there's only two characters barring Eggman so far that are even out of their teens yet.

Oh god ,I thought I saw the last of this on the Sega Forums:"Baww, Tails should use less tech, and more physical moves, Baww"

I admit he's got a more defined role beyond just the sidekick, but I admit I would like to see more use of his namesake when was the last time Tails used those things?

The only reason I think people consider him weak because of the stereotype: "Smart equals Weak" "Strong equals Dumb" blah blah.

Really its once again comes down to the bad writing of the series, the fact that the only part of Tails that's really given focus are his smart attributes, so naturally people think he's weak, just like how people see Knuckles as a moron.

I wouldn't say he's weak per se, but he's obviously not going to be on the same level as Sonic or Knuckles whom both have 7/8 more years of experience under their belt, so expecting him to do the same feats as them is kind of expecting too much.

I could definently understand them getting rid of Tails' spindash and rolling jump, because based on species he really has no justification for having it - it was originally designed for Sonic on the justification that his spines let him function like some kind of fucking buzzsaw, so it begs the question of how Tails is supposed to do the same thing with nothing on him but fuzz. All the same though, the only thing he's had going for him physically lately is the asscopter, and even that I haven't seen in an absurdly long time. I know he's been relegated to the token inventor/mechanic plot device nowadays, but at the very least you'd think we would've gotten the tail whip back by now.

Well, I'd argue that he can make his tails sharp like helicopter blades, but I see what you mean.
I admittedly considered that as a factor in his spinjump at first, but then I remembered his jumping animation.

Tails_spin_jump3.gif

You know, the one in which his tails are outside the spinball at all times.

Edited by Blacklightning

Just wanted to drop in some factoids on Tails' mechanical genius prior to Sonic Adventure.

In Sonic 3, the manual states that Tails invented an emerald radar, in Tails Adventures, he invented the multi-purpose Sea Fox mechanism and in Sonic the Fighters, he invents a giant space ship modeled after his tails.

I admittedly considered that as a factor in his spinjump at first, but then I remembered his jumping animation.

Tails_spin_jump3.gif

You know, the one in which his tails are outside the spinball at all times.

Oh, I totally forgot about that animation. So instead of changing the animation, they wussify him?

Just wanted to drop in some factoids on Tails' mechanical genius prior to Sonic Adventure.

In Sonic 3, the manual states that Tails invented an emerald radar, in Tails Adventures, he invented the multi-purpose Sea Fox mechanism and in Sonic the Fighters, he invents a giant space ship modeled after his tails.

Not to mention all the work he's done on the Tornado, even if it was originally Sonic's plane in the first place.

Oh, I totally forgot about that animation. So instead of changing the animation, they wussify him?
You know, it's funny you should bring that up too - he does in fact wrap his tails around himself while jumping in '06... but it just so happens to be the only game in the series that doesn't allow you to kill things by jumping on them. Which is a shame really, because considering how unwieldly ring bombs are it's an ability that he definently could've used.

The only time I considered him weak was in Unleashed, when he needed Sonic to save his ass from those Gaia montesrs he apparently couldn't defeat himself. -_-

^ I'd say that was pretty much the absolute nadir of his character, his Dethroning Moment of Suck, and showed just how much (not) Sonic Team cares about him even until now.

^ He got better tin Colors, though IMO.

Except making jokes and making a machine to communicate, he didn't do anything. He still held back seat the whole game so it's like whatever. But yeah Tails was dethroned of his goodness when he pussy'd out and ran from those gaia creatures. He freaking took on Eggman head on by himself in Sonic Adventure and Adventure 2. And to add on he did fight chaos. I'm sure that should have been enough for him to at least slap one of the gaia creature then if there was no effect run off.

Yes he's smart, and can do basically anything Eggman could too, but without us seeing it again. I really consider Tails weak now. He lost it for me.

Except making jokes and making a machine to communicate, he didn't do anything. He still held back seat the whole game so it's like whatever. But yeah Tails was dethroned of his goodness when he pussy'd out and ran from those gaia creatures. He freaking took on Eggman head on by himself in Sonic Adventure and Adventure 2. And to add on he did fight chaos. I'm sure that should have been enough for him to at least slap one of the gaia creature then if there was no effect run off.

Yes he's smart, and can do basically anything Eggman could too, but without us seeing it again. I really consider Tails weak now. He lost it for me.

When I said that, I guess I meant in terms of communication/character development towards Sonic. Not to mention he almost ended up fighting Sonic via Eggman's mind control.

Edited by Ananze