Awoo.

Mississippi's proposed Amendment 26 to ban birth control and abortion

Mega

Taken from dailykos.com:

On November 8th, the voters of Mississippi will be considering a "Personhood Amendment" (Amendment #26) which would give a fertilized egg more rights than a live born woman, and would outlaw abortion and birth control. The threatening part about this amendment (and others like it proposed in all the other States) is that it could be a vehicle to be used in the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade and thus make abortion and birth control illegal throughout the country. This High Tech Uterine Occupation should scare every progressive and every woman. But, the Democratic Party is not working to organize against this dangerous amendment. The word hasn't gotten out about how to help fight this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note to SSMB: I'm in Mississippi right now. I live there. There isn't a bunch of crazies. I promise.

I agree with the OP in that a woman should have the right to choose.

Unrelated: Isn't there a cut-off date where the baby can no longer be aborted? I can't seem to remember.

• Thumbs Up 1

Women deserve the right to choose whether or not to have children, and that right should never be infringed upon.

Birth control is absolutely necessary in today's society, and abortion is sometimes necessary too; the latter usually having long-term mental and emotional consequences for the former mother-to-be (and when it doesn't, when the woman aborts casually and on a whim, she probably would've given the kid a shitty life anyway) which frankly ought to be considered punishment enough.

I don't have anything against Mississippi itself, since I know not everyone is the same. However, I feel really uneasy knowing that the legislation would propose something like this, especially since other states plan on doing the same thing.

This is absurd and there's no way it'll survive a challenge to the Supreme Court. Still, the very fact that it's being considered is twisted as Hell.

The biggest problem with crazy people is that they breed like rabbits.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is absurd and there's no way it'll survive a challenge to the Supreme Court. Still, the very fact that it's being considered is twisted as Hell.

The biggest problem with crazy people is that they breed like rabbits.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unrelated: Isn't there a cut-off date where the baby can no longer be aborted? I can't seem to remember.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

As unpopular as this opinion is, I don't personally feel that abortion is right, unless there's extreme circumstances. It just doesn't seem fair to terminate the existence of another person (or person-to-be, however you choose to look at it). Birth control is good, though, because it prevents unwanted pregnancies in the first place. So overall, this proposed law isn't a very good one.

• Thumbs Up 3

I stand corrected. We're screwed.

You don't know Clarence Thomas, Antonin Scalia, and John Roberts?

I stand corrected. We're screwed.

EDIT: Even though you're right about Thomas, Scalia, and Roberts, I'm still unconvinced it would survive the Supreme Court.

Kagan, Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Kennedy, and Breyer will note vote in support of this law and I'd wager that Alito wouldn't either.

Edited by SpookyMulder

As unpopular as this opinion is, I don't personally feel that abortion is right, unless there's extreme circumstances. It just doesn't seem fair to terminate the existence of another person (or person-to-be, however you choose to look at it). Birth control is good, though, because it prevents unwanted pregnancies in the first place. So overall, this proposed law isn't a very good one.

Don't be afraid to share your opinions! Even if (and especially if) they're unpopular. Makes the discussion more interesting.

Note to self: Avoid Mississippi. Full of crazies.

Banning abortion is bad enough, but birth control? These people are stupid, evil, or both.

;____;

But yeah, it's mostly stupid people 'round these parts. This is really dumb and they should feel bad.

had no idea AMIOOZ was from the Mississipp' too.

*jaw drops at the proposed bill* You've GOT to be kidding me!!

Whoever proposed this bullshit "amendment" needs to be impeached… :angry:

I was going to mention the Catholic domination of the Supreme Court, but turbojet beat me to it. This is precisely why these state initiatives to ban abortion--and, in some cases, even birth control--are popping up now. No one dares to challenge them in court, in case it does get to the Supreme Court and the Catholic majority there decides to impose their anti-choice doctrine onto the American public and overturn Roe v. Wade, in which case the floodgates are opened and every self-loathing religionist who thinks sex is evil unless you're breeding will seize the opportunity to impose their anti-human ideology upon everyone else. I was deeply disappointed that Obama appointed another Catholic to the Supreme Court. Ideally, a person's religion ought not to disqualify them from any position in the government, but you'd think that more care would be taken to make a bench that was more representative of the public as a whole and not disproportionately favouring one religious point of view over all others.

I hope the people of Mississippi are reasonable enough to resist this effort to curtail sexual freedom and personal choice that has no rational basis whatsoever and is simply a religiously motivated assault upon human rights and upon women's rights in particular.

• Thumbs Up 1

On November 8th, the voters of Mississippi will be considering a "Personhood Amendment" (Amendment #26) which would give a fertilized egg more rights than a live born woman,

Abortion's one of the few issues that it's difficult for me to take a solid stance on. The definition of life, at least in the spiritual sense, is as subjective as the phenomenon of life itself, so I can't blame anyone for being on either side. I mean, some of the food we eat is metabolized into sex cells- does that mean throwing away my food is equivocal to killing my unborn child? I doubt many would say yes, but this seamless cycle between life and death, organic and inorganic, makes it clear that universe doesn't discriminate living entities from the non-living. You're never completely alive or completely dead; everything is something in between and even then the entity in question is only capable of proving how alive it is to itself. Cogito ergo sum, right? If you ask me, one can argue that life begins anywhere before, during or after conception but it's only after the development of the brain that one can say it has consciousness tantamount to a soul. But I think if you've waited until the third trimester, odds are you plan to go through with it anyway.

Edited by SuperStingray

I'm a little divided on this one to be honest...

Aborting a baby certainly does seem wrong to me, but honestly, what if it's not her fault? I'm sure someone's mentioned it before, but there IS a thing called rape...

As for the birth control aspect of this, I can understand that, as honestly, many people consider having sex, without the plan of children to be immoral... Sex IS NOT supposed to be just sex to a lot of people. People should face the consequences if it was their CHOICE.

I dont understand why other people want to decide for the woman. It's her choice. People are nuts.
Edited by Eon

I dont understand why other people want to decide for the woman. It's her choice. People are nuts.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I agree with making and Keeping Abortion illegal. I've very christian and very pro life. Hell, the doctor that perfected the procedure of abortion stopped after terminating over 100 or more pregnancies because he finally saw the heartbeat and realized it was alive.....ALIVE!

I disagree with outlawing birth control....I...I mean...so.....why.....who..................wtf...............

• Thumbs Up 1

If I were a woman, I would NEVER have an abortion when there is a perfectly great other option to just let the kid get adopted to a family that will hopefully love and cherish the child. But it's up to the person on whether they want a abortion or not, and we should not take that right away from them. And trying to make birth control illegal is even more idiotic. Pills are our friends people.

• Thumbs Up 1