Awoo.

Mississippi's proposed Amendment 26 to ban birth control and abortion

Mega

The body thinks it's a parasite. That's why we have a positive virus that causes the body not to reject the foreign organism growing inside. Alas, sometimes it fails, leading to the fetus being ejected in a flow of heavy menstruation.

If you think of all fetuses as a baby, then nature is a real killer.

Heh... That explains a bit more.

I pretty much rest on the idea that it's the mother's decision (hell, even the father, it's his seed too), but abortion is gross to me. I can of course understand instances, but still, ending a potential person like that grosses me out. Yes, I know life can not be fair, but if it were me, I'd rather suffer raising a child than axing it, =X. It could be the worst parents in the world and still have a chance of making a pretty excellent kid come out of it in the end. However, do ban the option of this all together isn't right. Just because this is my opinion, doesn't mean it's right of course, and no one should push that on others.

Where's that desk that I slam my face on? Brb.

Oh, guys. Get this. They're releasing a movie to promote the amendment 26 and showing it before the voting before it gets released nationwide in 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJkN5N6WMOc&feature=player_embedded#

It's about an adopted child who finds out her real birth mother tried to abort her. HMMMM.

Edited by Mega

For fairness sake, I demand a video about a girl who finds out her mother's immune system was about to auto-reject her fetus, and then decides to sue god (or mother nature, if you like) for negligence.

• Thumbs Up 1

http://thinkprogress...ion-discussion/

Now a Republican Senator is pushing to ban discussion of abortion online!

Anti-choice Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) just filed an anti-choice amendment to a bill related to agriculture, transportation, housing, and other programs. The DeMint amendment could bar discussion of abortion over the Internet and through videoconferencing, even if a woman’s health is at risk and if this kind of communication with her doctor is her best option to receive care.

Under this amendment, women would need a separate, segregated Internet just for talking about abortion care with their doctors.

My friend had this to say:

This is the Oath of Office Jim DeMint took to become a Senator:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God."

Since his proposed restrictions on a woman's First Amendment rights are in violation of the Constitution, he needs to resign from office. Immediately. He is an Enemy of the Constitution.

Or rather, she showed me that quote, and I agree.

Edited by Mega

Abortion is one of those issues where the morality of it is such a minefield that the only reasonable position is to leave it up to an individual to make the horrible choice for themselves and the child they are carrying. If the people of Mississippi as a majority really do want this law then it is democratic to pass it, so I don't have an argument there. Disgust and outrage that there are areas in the most powerful country on earth still being dominated by dogmatic horseshit, but not an argument against the democratic process that would allow such a law to be passed. If enough people are that fucking foolish to get a law like that passed, then so be it; I'll just make sure that I never go near the shithouse XP.

• Thumbs Up 5

Abortion is one of those issues where the morality of it is such a minefield that the only reasonable position is to leave it up to an individual to make the horrible choice for themselves and the child they are carrying. If the people of Mississippi as a majority really do want this law then it is democratic to pass it, so I don't have an argument there. Disgust and outrage that there are areas in the most powerful country on earth still being dominated by dogmatic horseshit, but not an argument against the democratic process that would allow such a law to be passed. If enough people are that fucking foolish to get a law like that passed, then so be it; I'll just make sure that I never go near the shithouse XP.

Well said Rorey, well said!

Why can't people let the issue rest? Imagine for a moment that potential mothers weren't terminating fetuses, but babies that were actually born already. Sure, those deaths won't affect you in any personal way because in all likelihood you wouldn't know anyone involved, but I'm certain you'd feel more morally outraged to know that women were taking their already-born babies to have them killed. Now, apply the thought that a fetus has that same right to life as a baby, and boom- you have the pro-life's personal moral outlook on the situation. Note that I don't agree with that position, but I can understand where many pro-life individuals are coming from.

Pro-choice people can't let the issue rest because the pro-life view by its nature involves shutting down services that the pro-choice people believe they not only have a right to but actively need. And pro-life people can't let the issue rest because they feel that foetuses are human beings who deserve full personhood rights, and that their termination is murder, and so they actively fight to stop that. So it's a bit more complicated than simply live-and-let-live.

• Thumbs Up 1

this is total BS ACLU, Planned Parenthood propaganda! I live in Mississippi and if anyone would bother to actually LOOK UP the original initiative you would see that it has absolutely NOTHING to do with birth control pills, going to jail for miscarrying, or anything else they are desperately trying to sell people on who are uninformed and/or too lazy to find out the truth. it is to put an end to abortion. to allow all children to be born. period. and if the mothers life is in danger, they will not risk her life over an unviable baby. BE INFORMED before you believe everything you read on here or hear in the liberal news! the Amendment is short and there are no fine lines. it's not to end IVF either. only to save the babies that are "unused" from being USED as science experiments. but there is absolutely nothing about birth control mentioned in the Amendment.

It's the mothers choice, let her decide what she wants to do and not the state.

People like the poster above there, assuming that they are genually who they claim to be, what exactly does it have to do with you? If you get peggers, fine have your baby and raise it, sit back have a jolly good time. But if someone gets preggers and doesn't want it or feel that they can raise it, let them decide to do what they want instead of living in fear of what 'those people next door think.'

And yeah, banning birth control.

Absolutely fucking crazy.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 4

From what I've heard, the proposal is that fertilized eggs would be considered "people" as far as rights are concerned. The potential for abusing this is staggering, and apparently is already happening.

Also calling clusters of cells "babies" is pretty disingenuous and manipulative. I kill the equivalent of a million "babies" every time I jerk off.

• Thumbs Up 4

If the amendment would essentially grants the right to life to fetuses, then does it not effectively call into question birth control? What birth control does in the process of blocking eggs from being fertilized is also thin the uterine wall, which in turn makes it that much harder for children to be carried to term. If such a pill increases the risk of miscarriage, and assuming this bill passed and fetuses were given the right to life, birth control under the amendment would effectively be considered child endangerment, wouldn't it?

I should warn you that this is predominantly a British website and so throwing around buzzword terms of American paranoia like "liberal news" is going to get you laughed out of here pretty fast.

Regardless, anti-abortion laws are incredibly immoral on so very many levels, therefore even if it has been exaggerated the core proposal of the law is still reprehensible and incredibly dangerous, so not much has changed. Granting human rights to a parasite is as ridiculous as it was before.

EDIT: Oh and just caught this too - that law is actually trying to ban stem cell research again? Now it's even more disgusting.

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan
  • Thumbs Up 3

Abortion is a minefield, but when it comes to birth control then people are just being really fucking stupid.

I honestly think we need some stricter merit system to prevent this kind of stuff from getting into office for birth control alone, because while I can't say much on abortions that have already been said, it's very infringing on personal matters when you try to outlaw birth control. Didn't some group try to do this only to have birth control become legalized some way?

EDIT: Oh and just caught this too - that law is actually trying to ban stem cell research again? Now it's even more disgusting.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

It's the mothers choice, let her decide what she wants to do and not the state.

People like the poster above there, assuming that they are genually who they claim to be, what exactly does it have to do with you? If you get peggers, fine have your baby and raise it, sit back have a jolly good time. But if someone gets preggers and doesn't want it or feel that they can raise it, let them decide to do what they want instead of living in fear of what 'those people next door think.'

• Thumbs Up 2

this is total BS ACLU, Planned Parenthood propaganda! I live in Mississippi and if anyone would bother to actually LOOK UP the original initiative you would see that it has absolutely NOTHING to do with birth control pills, going to jail for miscarrying, or anything else they are desperately trying to sell people on who are uninformed and/or too lazy to find out the truth. it is to put an end to abortion. to allow all children to be born. period. and if the mothers life is in danger, they will not risk her life over an unviable baby. BE INFORMED before you believe everything you read on here or hear in the liberal news! the Amendment is short and there are no fine lines. it's not to end IVF either. only to save the babies that are "unused" from being USED as science experiments. but there is absolutely nothing about birth control mentioned in the Amendment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it embryonic stem cells or stem cell research as a whole?

only to save the babies that are "unused" from being USED as science experiments. but there is absolutely nothing about birth control mentioned in the Amendment.

my point was to let you know that the Amendment has nothing, at all, to do with birth control as stated in the title. I was simply suggesting that people should check their facts before posting lies.

I was surprised this bill was even being considered at all since it seems like a step backwards in society. But then I read it was in Mississippi.

In all seriousness though I don't think I (or anyone for that matter) have a justifiable reason to tell a women what she should or shouldn't do with anything concerning her body. I'm not a woman, I have no idea what having a child growing inside of me is like. Of course if a woman waits until the very last moment possible to get an abortion and the baby is clearly alive, that is when things are an issue.

my point was to let you know that the Amendment has nothing, at all, to do with birth control as stated in the title. I was simply suggesting that people should check their facts before posting lies.

Is it hyperbolic to worry that it could extend to birth control and other pre-conception rights, though? Points have been made in this topic that show there's a thin line, and a not very clear one at that, as to what the bill could in fact be interpreted to entail.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did you check any facts?

Would you mind answering this for me? If someone has an abortion or wants an abortion. What exactly does it have to do with you?

Edited by Hogfather