Awoo.

An aspiring game designer

Chaos Walker

I loooove making games. I use a site called the games crafter (see signature) to make table top games. I have three in the works, one completed that I can't release for technical reasons, another in the final testing phase, and one more that is just leaving the protoype stages. In other words, things are going very, very, very, well. The goal is to simply have the experience, get my name out there, have something nice for a resume, and if I'm lucky make money. In the end though I want to design video games.

I've got one problem: After I have about 5 fully completed games under my belt, I want to get to work on a full TCG with sets and boosters and the like. You know, like Magic The Gathering, Yugioh, Pokemon, Naruto, etc. (just not as popular obviously) I have lots of time before I get started so before then... I want to know what you guys think.

What are your favorite trading card games? Why do you like them? Why do you not like certain others?

Edited by Chaos Walker

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chaos Walker

• Scott

• Vemus

• Velotix von Skruviktorrius

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooh, interesting topic. I say go for it. Personally I'm a fan of CCG games. My favorite being Yu-Gi-Oh, MTG in second. I never got into the pokemon TCG cause I never really got the rules to it, and I never bothered with Naruto cause it's Naruto. Anyway, the ones I do like, I like because of how they're played. Nothing's ever one-sided unless your opponent just completely overpowers you in terms of skill (not to mention the amount of bullshit that can be pulled off). I also like them because of the way that people of absolutely different demographics can come together and get to be friends because of the game. I also enjoy the artwork on the cards, some of it is really cool. I don't like certain others because the rules can be overly complicated, eve when explained in layman's terms. For example, the rules of Yu-Gi-Oh, can be explained fairly easily, same with MTG. However I've found the rules of other games to be a little out there and not make so much sense. I learned in one of my classes that coming up with rules for games is one of the hardest parts of making a game. I say you should definitely make a TCG of your own, it would probably really interesting to see what concept and gameplay you can come up with.

Nice. That does sound like an interesting mechanic. I love games like that, but I never really tried my hand at making any until one of my classes here in college. We had to make a tabletop game of our own. It was supposed to show us that the process of making a game isn't really easy and it takes a lot of thinking. But it was a lot of fun. I'm a game design major at school, so I'm focusing more on making video games rather than card games, but that doesn't rule out anything. A game is a game.

so I'm focusing more on making video games rather than card games, but that doesn't rule out anything. A game is a game.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can you create Table top games like Dungeons & Dragons? that would be pretty cool :P

I'm working on a game myself :D my own game, though it's taking ages, because I'm trying to recreate my local area for the first level, so I literally gotta edit/create a shit tonne of Sprites dry.png

The games crafter has pretty all inclusive resources, which are growning as time progresses. Yes, you could potentially make any sort of Card, board, or other type of table top game. Though there are some restrictions, such as the innablity to order custom designed pieces.

Awk thats what woulda pulled me in, I like games with little plastic character pieces :P If I ever made a bordgame, I would rather create custom plastic pieces to bring the game as alive as I could

I don't do so well with board games anyhow. For some reason my ideas are better suited to card/ video games. It must be because I play more of those. Still, you can custom design the face of the board itself.

I've been reading reviews of a bunch of different TCGs and have been getting new ideas like using the discard pile itself as a resource, or that agressive gameplay is encouraged by an automaticaly refilling hand.

Edited by Chaos Walker

I apologise for not answering your question and I'll probably get back to it in a later post. However:

As a final year Computer Games Technology student, I can safely say this: don't do a Games degree! Do Computer Science!

If you lean towards focussing on games mechanics over art and sound, you'll get nothing out of a Games course that you wouldn't get - and done better - in a CompSci course.

I personally can't wait to get my hands on whatever you end up working on. Making a card game isn't easy, that's for sure. In the small stint i've played Yu-Gi-Oh! for, all i can say is be sure to give a player a chance at coming back after a major burnout. Once you burnout once in yugioh, it's harder to come back because the opponent has that many more monsters on the field by the time you reinstall your first line of defense again. It can be argued that it's part of the game's difficulty and that the deck you use should have a workaround, but if you need to work around the rules, doesn't that make the rules a bad thing? Unless the idea is specifically for you to have to fight the rules to reach your opponent, it tends to detract from the gameplay experience.

Here's also just a random idea that came to me as i typed this post: what sort of weird drawing methods could be done? What if you had 4 small decks or something that each had a different type of card and you choose which one you need or something like that, maybe allowing for semi-stacking cards to set up hands and the like. That could be pretty breaking unless done right, though, but i figure the more stimulus the better, right?

Edited by firelord767

As a final year Computer Games Technology student, I can safely say this: don't do a Games degree! Do Computer Science!

Thanks. That was actually my current plan as my parents don't seem super on board with me making games. So I picked computer science, hoping it would get me somewhere similar. My fascination is with how games work. It's like sweet chemistry to me <3 Of course I've been drawing even before I played games, so I have the advantage of not having to rely much on anyone else to design stuff for me. I come up with my own characters, have an odd nack for interesting stories, though I wish I had learned to play an instrument. Oh well, I'm doing too much as it is.

but if you need to work around the rules, doesn't that make the rules a bad thing? Unless the idea is specifically for you to have to fight the rules to reach your opponent, it tends to detract from the gameplay experience.

This is true of all games. The equivalant of "the rules" in video games would be level design. If your character's moveset is insuficient, you will feel like the level is constantly punishing you for something you cannot do. A great example would be moments where you have to backtrack in Secret Rings. At a time like that you don't feel challenged, just pissed.

For the same thing in card games, there is your example of the difficulty of a come back, or something like not getting any land in magic the gathering. The game should not keep you from winning, your opponent should. (unless you are winning. tongue.png)

Here's also just a random idea that came to me as i typed this post: what sort of weird drawing methods could be done? What if you had 4 small decks or something that each had a different type of card and you choose which one you need or something like that, maybe allowing for semi-stacking cards to set up hands and the like. That could be pretty breaking unless done right, though, but i figure the more stimulus the better, right?

The Bleach card game actually keeps resources (energy) in a seperate deck. You essentially make two decks to play the game with. It certainly deals with the classic Magic the gathering/ Pokemo scenario of getting no resources. (I call that manapation) I will play with the idea though. Who knows, I've had great ideas for mechanics come from the most random of things.

Edited by Chaos Walker