Awoo.

Silver makes a better villain?

Chaos Walker

Silver-the-Hedgehog-Rival-Sonic-Generations-Screenshots-3.jpg

Seeing the new screenshots from Silver's reveal, I can't help but think: HOLYCHEESETHAT'SAWSOME! Silver's psychic powers have been massively overpowered, but in a good way. And then the thought crossed my mind: "Silver is so much cooler as a villain."

What do you think? What if Silver had been written as a pure villain? Could it work? How would he be different?

Its definitely a step up from being a Trunks rip off, but I don't see it happening, Silver is pretty much an established hero at this point so him being a villain wouldn't make a lick of sense.

His powers are better suited to being a boss (when they aren't as crappily designed as in '06), but he still looks like a joke. I couldn't take him seriously as a villain, looking like that.

I'm not really sure what his motivations for villainy would be, either.

I don't really see Silver as a serious villain. Sure he opposed Sonic because he was mislead, but other than that, and it was already stated, it all comes down to motives and why he wants Sonic 'defeated once and for all'.

I'm not really sure what his motivations for villainy would be, either.

Silver: No one will make fun of mee anymore!!!

Silver is a black sheep isn't he? He's not a particularly an interesting hero, and there's no way he can be taken seriously as a villain, what's left for him?

Edited by Shadic93

If being a villain means getting rid of his whinyness, sure. But his design would still be there...

I think I'd not like him either way.

Neither his personality nor the aesthetic of his appearance work well for a villain. I personally think he's a rather silly and superfluous character anyway, and I don't think that switching his allegiance or underlying motivation will make him any more interesting. I don't actively dislike the guy... I just really don't find anything appealing about his design or characterisation. I could take him or leave him. Meh.

Nothing about him makes me think he'd be a worthy villain, yeah he's psychic and normally that'd come across as an intimidating power... That is until you see Silver's design.

If you could alter Silver's design to look menacing, yeah it could work. I don't mean a flat out redesign, but you just need to make something to where he can be seen as a villain.

Of course, there's also the matter of making his actions to be believable. Silver was nothing more than a misguided hero in Sonic 06, so if you're going to make him a flat out villain you need to have something that changes his personality to be something villainous. A big part of what makes a character a villain in the first place is their actions and their thoughts towards said action, and those of you who use Silver's design against that are looking at the wrong thing. You may not like it, but that holds no bearing towards whether he'd be a villain.

But still, you have to get over the fact that Silver is a Hero to make him a Villain. You can't make him a villain simply because of his powers.

If you could alter Silver's design to look menacing, yeah it could work. I don't mean a flat out redesign, but you just need to make something to where he can be seen as a villain.

Of course, there's also the matter of making his actions to be believable. Silver was nothing more than a misguided hero in Sonic 06, so if you're going to make him a flat out villain you need to have something that changes his personality to be something villainous. A big part of what makes a character a villain in the first place is their actions and their thoughts towards said action, and those of you who use Silver's design against that are looking at the wrong thing. You may not like it, but that holds no bearing towards whether he'd be a villain.

But still, you have to get over the fact that Silver is a Hero to make him a Villain. You can't make him a villain simply because of his powers.

r, and I think he simply makes a better rival/boss then villain.

Edited by Shadic93

Nah. Silver is hero. Of course if I could I would make both Shadow and Silver Villians but at this point in series its almost impossible story wise and even if it wouldnt make much sense.

So yeah Silver is good where he is.

This would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that three other characters already have this role, and even if I don't consider that, his personality doesn't really warrant it. Making Silver another rival is so damn redundant, espcially since their "Rivalry" is based on a misunderstanding rather than mutual dislike or competitive streak in the other.

Didn't they have a rivalry in Sonic Rivals? Or are you going purely by what happened in 06. Also, he seems to be focused on whatever mission is required at the time, not letting anyone get in his way (including duplicating their chaos control or trying to kill them.) If his mission requires it, he'll work with him, or against him, depending on the circumstances.

Didn't they have a rivalry in Sonic Rivals? Or are you going purely by what happened in 06. Also, he seems to be focused on whatever mission is required at the time, not letting anyone get in his way (including duplicating their chaos control or trying to kill them.) If his mission requires it, he'll work with him, or against him, depending on the circumstances.

And then in Colors hes randomly nice out of nowhere, its inconsistent so we have no idea how he's supposed to act.

Thinking about it, Silver's design might have worked for a villain if they turned it into something like Ix. He already looks a bit like an evil Silver when he's in mysterious villain mode.

And then in Colors hes randomly nice out of nowhere, its inconsistent so we have no idea how he's supposed to act.

His mood is dependent upon the situation. That's not inconsistency; it's him reacting accordingly to his environment. Is there any reason why Silver would be as mean while having fun at a theme park as he was in Rivals while trying to save his homeland from people getting in his way?

Edited by Nepenthe

His mood is dependent upon the situation. That's not inconsistency; it's him reacting accordingly to his environment. Is there any reason why Silver would be as mean while having fun at a theme park as he was in Rivals while trying to save his homeland from people getting in his way?

Because its such a far cry, in Rivals hes a jerk to everyone who gets in his way or tries to help him and wasn't exactly on friendly terms with Sonic, and then in Colors he and Sonic are talking like they've been friends for awhile.

Edited by Shadic93

Silver as a villain really won't work.

His report came in today and he got an F for evil. :P

Besides I don't think we'll ever take Silver seriously anyways after "ITS NO USE!" :P

Because its such a far cry, in Rivals hes a jerk to everyone who gets in his way or tries to help him and wasn't exactly on friendly terms with Sonic, and then in Colors he and Sonic are talking like they've been friends for awhile.

How is it a breaking of suspension of disbelief to be noticeably angry, upset, and frustrated with the constant image of your friends and home burning in the back of your mind while you're on this arduous journey to fix it and have to compete with every Tom, Dick, and Harry you run across to do so, and to be calmer during a visit to a theme park when it can be assumed your home and family are also relatively safe? I myself can have a bit of a mood swing when someone simply calls me a bad name and thus become noticeably colder to people than I'd normally be in more fun situations, and you're telling me Silver isn't supposed to be a lot nicer than usual when nothing's going on or there's a fun atmosphere pervading about? Was his appearance in the Olympics where he was all smiles and high-fiving Yoshi like a bro also cause for concern?

Silver could actually work as a villain, in the sense where he's not on Sonic's side.

Let's say another threat happens in the future and Silver must return in the past to stop it from happening. But this threat happened BECAUSE Sonic, say, saved the world from something again. So Silver decides to stop Sonic from saving the world from this thing at all coast because what'd happen if he did would be even worse.

But in the end, he doesn't manage to stop Sonic but after Sonic beats that thing and the threat related to that appears, Sonic and Silver team up to defeat it.

Silver could work as a one-time villain, like Shadow.

Thinking about it, Silver's design might have worked for a villain if they turned it into something like Ix. He already looks a bit like an evil Silver when he's in mysterious villain mode.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

Silver could actually work as a villain, in the sense where he's not on Sonic's side.

Let's say another threat happens in the future and Silver must return in the past to stop it from happening. But this threat happened BECAUSE Sonic, say, saved the world from something again. So Silver decides to stop Sonic from saving the world from this thing at all coast because what'd happen if he did would be even worse.

But in the end, he doesn't manage to stop Sonic but after Sonic beats that thing and the threat related to that appears, Sonic and Silver team up to defeat it.

Silver could work as a one-time villain, like Shadow.

True but you also have to think about how plot holes come into play. Silver trying to stop Sonic from creating a time paradox could work but it's a slim chance and could backfire. The one time villain thing is, or was, the classier way to go.

Edited by Abominal Taz

I think Silver's design is actually perfect for a ridiculously fruity villain.

Of course he's already established as a hero so I wouldn't want that messed around with. But we really don't know much about his personality considering it changes so much. If anything I'd like to see that expanded on.

• Thumbs Up 3