Awoo.

Sonic's ideal characterization topic

Chaos Warp

So I've seen a bunch of people around here talk about how Sonic is off character in *insert sonic game here*. So let me ask you: what is Sonic's ideal character? Myself, I believe the ideal Sonic would be Storybook Sonic mixed with cockiness and arrogance from Roger Sonic (but not so much that he does not care for his friends anymore).

Thoughts?

I'd more or less agree with you. I figure it's okay to have Sonic come across as a bit of a jerk as long as he's a "jerk with a heart of gold." Like, he'll tease and insult people, even his friends, but deep down he actually has a lot of compassion behind his cool and confident exterior.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ideal Sonic characterization?

Take 2 parts SatSR + SatBK characterization which includes apathy regarding how others perceive him and modesty with a touch of pride, add a dash of Colours' snappy wit and bromance with Tails, beat in some SA2 and Unleashed badassery and resourcefulness and you have the ultimate Sonic in terms of what makes Sonic...well, Sonic.

At least in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey Verte is in this topic, get ready for a rant people.

Anywho, I'm pretty fine with the way things are now.

Sonic is caring, compassionate, somewhat modest, Cocky, and overall goofball and all of those traits apply greatly in Colors.

I would tone down the amount of lame puns though, the character should flow naturally and not make lame jokes just to cater to a lighter audience.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's wrong with my rants? >.> <.<

If there's one thing I'll add, it's that they should expand a little more on Sonic's uneasiness around water. Not to the point that it consumes his character, just amusing little nods here and there. I just find it ridiculous how he's on the ocean for the entirety of SRA and his 'fear' never comes up yet Blaze's Acrophobia and Marina's ghost fear is brought up. Same thing goes for SatSR too. There's water all around him in Pirate Storm and yet he says he loves coming to the ocean. Errr....what?

• Thumbs Up 2

You're so mean.

It was the Grammar Nazi inside of me.

Anyways, I quite liked how he was in Colours; though from what I've seen around that was apparently the worst thing ever and I might just have liked him because he wasn't voiced by Griffith, so I dunno.

So I take it you weren't a fan of Griffith?

It's not so lengthy this time. o_O

I agree with mostly what she said. If they could nail that down then Sonic would be perfect to me.

I really do enjoy him in Colors, though, jokes and all. <.<;

Edited by sonfan1984

What's wrong with my rants? >.> <.<

.......nothin......

If there's one thing I'll add, it's that they should expand a little more on Sonic's uneasiness around water. Not to the point that it consumes his character, just amusing little nods here and there. I just find it ridiculous how he's on the ocean for the entirety of SRA and his 'fear' never comes up yet Blaze's Acrophobia and Marina's ghost fear is brought up. Same thing goes for SatSR too. There's water all around him in Pirate Storm and yet he says he loves coming to the ocean. Errr....what?

Its funny because Naka only came up with that because he thought Hedgehogs couldn't swim. Its also ironic that it gets portrayed in alt. media and spin offs way more than in the main series of games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Verte feels strongly about certain things - in particular, Sonic's characterisation - but I feel that her 'rants' are as well informed and sensible as they are passionate, and they're a joy to read (: So please, don't be deterred by comments about your lengthy responses, Verte. I for one enjoy them immensely.

For me, Sonic was pretty darn good in Colours. The Holy Grail for me would be keeping enough of his humour and quirkiness (and definitely the dynamic with Tails) whilst toning down the goofiness just a little for a game with a slightly more mature tone. I say mature rather than dark, because I think that Sonic should always be colourful and fun - and Colours was SO much fun - but keeping Sonic as such a colourful and amusing character in a game aimed at a slightly older crowd is the real test in my eyes.

• Thumbs Up 9

Its funny because Naka only came up with that because he thought Hedgehogs couldn't swim. Its also ironic that it gets portrayed in alt. media and spin offs way more than in the main series of games.

I was amused in one of SatBK's Camelot Castle's missions. Sonic enters a waterway under the castle and expresses in a very relieved voice his gratitude that it's shallow. In SatSR's Dinosaur Jungle, Shahra inquires teasingly if Sonic can swim when he yells out loud after the bridge he's on collapses. I cracked a huge smile at both of those XD Not to mention he expresses disgust in SatBK's Deep Woods when he comes across marshland and continues to complain whilst crossing it, unhappy that he's "Covered from head to foot"

It's these little touches of dialogue that make Sonic so endearing and as it's on the "Doesn't like water" front, makes him more vulnerable-sounding. I'd like to see more of that in the main series. Of course there's one of his answers to Brenda's questions in HD Unleashed "I can't swim...." (Note the leading off on the answer, seemingly implying shame) and his very VERY funny drowning animation.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was amused in one of SatBK's Camelot Castle's missions. Sonic enters a waterway under the castle and expresses in a very relieved voice his gratitude that it's shallow. In SatSR's Dinosaur Jungle, Shahra inquires teasingly if Sonic can swim when he yells out loud after the bridge he's on collapses. I cracked a huge smile at both of those XD Not to mention he expresses disgust in SatBK's Deep Woods when he comes across marshland and continues to complain whilst crossing it, unhappy that he's "Covered from head to foot"

It's these little touches of dialogue that make Sonic so endearing and as it's on the "Doesn't like water" front, makes him more vulnerable-sounding. I'd like to see more of that in the main series. Of course there's one of his answers to Brenda's questions in HD Unleashed "I can't swim...." (Note the leading off on the answer, seemingly implying shame) and his very VERY funny drowning animation.

I'd prefer if it was portrayed as an actual fear rather than a strong dislike. There's a hilarious scene in Sonic X where he, Knuckles and Rouge are exploring a sea cavern, when Sonic confronts a small body of water, hes apprehensive about going in, but before he can leave Knuckles drags him in anyway and when he gets out he acts as if he was going to die. Its one of the few genuinely funny scenes in X.

I'd prefer if the fear was played up more, but mainly for laughs.

• Thumbs Up 2

So I take it you weren't a fan of Griffith?

No, but that wasn't my point. I was attempting (and failing, it seems) to mock a specific line of reasoning I've heard for why his Colours characterization sucked and why you are wrong for thinking otherwise.

No, but that wasn't my point. I was attempting (and failing, it seems) to mock a specific line of reasoning I've heard for why his Colours characterization sucked and why you are wrong for thinking otherwise.

....No one hates Sonic because he isn't voiced by griffith anymore....at least not here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nevermind. If I told the joke so poorly that I can't even explain it, I probably shouldn't have attempted it in the first place.

Edited by TGaP Tornado

....Jesus that's one glaring spelling error.

Where? I did not see one.

(I bet it's right in plain sight, but I'm not good at seeing stuff like that that the spellchecker does not see, sorry about that.......)

Where? I did not see one.

(I bet it's right in plain sight, but I'm not good at seeing stuff like that that the spellchecker does not see, sorry about that.......)

Topic title.

Topic title.

Ohhhhhhhh that. Man, now I feel like an idiot. Anyway, back to topic. I agree with BlazeyBakeneko and I think he/she worded it very well.

Well, if they tone down some aspects like the lame puns and stuff, I'm fine with the current characterization. I do feel Sonic's short temper is over looked though. More of that here and there would be good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, if they tone down some aspects like the lame puns and stuff, I'm fine with the current characterization. I do feel Sonic's short temper is over looked though. More of that here and there would be good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe because him having a temper seems off? Amy & Knuckles are the temperamental ones, we don't need a third. I do however wish his impatience was played up more though.

I have to agree - Sonic never struck me as the type to have a short temper, despite it being stated. I just see no evidence of it. He should be impatient, definitely, but I don't think he needs to have a temper. He's too laid back for that. He wants to get going, to do things, to move fast... but because he's energetic and excited to do things and he's optimistic and forward-looking, not because he's frustrated and angry at anyone.

• Thumbs Up 7

I have to agree - Sonic never struck me as the type to have a short temper, despite it being stated. I just see no evidence of it. He should be impatient, definitely, but I don't think he needs to have a temper. He's too laid back for that. He wants to get going, to do things, to move fast... but because he's energetic and excited to do things and he's optimistic and forward-looking, not because he's frustrated and angry at anyone.

Exactly, Sonic doesn't need a temper per se, but it would be nice to see what gets under his skin, what annoys him.

• Thumbs Up 1