Awoo.

Sonic's ideal characterization topic

Chaos Warp

Well, if they tone down some aspects like the lame puns and stuff, I'm fine with the current characterization. I do feel Sonic's short temper is over looked though. More of that here and there would be good.

Sonic short temper is overlooked because it has been overblown currently with Knuckles.

Sonic short temper is overlooked because it has been overblown currently with Knuckles.

Knuckles has always been described as being a hot head, even back in the Sonic 3 manual so him being one isn't really that much of surprise.

While it's on my mind, I'll bring up the topic of Sonic and girls. Sonic has always struck me as the kind of character who would play the field. As a fast moving dude, he'd never really settle down and stick just to one girl. He seems to be more of a "hit it and quit it" kind of guy. To that extent, I would say that Flynn's kinda doing with wrong, as Sonic seems to be way too focused on an actual relationship with Sally. However, I do understand that Flynn is playing it that way to tease and troll the shipping camps, so I can tolerate it for that reason. (Bringing up the Son/Sal ship just to fire an Omega Missile at it, the crafty bastard XD)

Enerjak-Knuckles holding Sonic by the throat and Sonic cracking one-liners? I think I'd remember reading that... What issue is this again?

Enerjak-Knuckles holding Sonic by the throat and Sonic cracking one-liners? I think I'd remember reading that... What issue is this again?

Enerjoke, Ener-jack-in-the-box, Enerstate, Jumping Jack, etc, etc

Hes also a jackhole who dates his best friend's girlfriend just because, and really?

Fiona was never Tails girlfriend. Tails feelings for Fiona were one sided and creepy.

There's a time and a place for humor. Namely times where it doesn't detract from the situation or paint Sonic as someone who doesn't take the situation as seriously as he ought to.

You mean like in Colors?

Fiona was never Tails girlfriend. Tails feelings for Fiona were one sided and creepy.

One sided? Maybe. Creepy? Starting wonder if I should even bother with that...

Also,

My favorite version of Sonic is Satam and Archie.

I don't like Sonic's personality in the games. I find it to be lame.

It seems like Sega tries too hard to make him sound cool.

You're really one to talk when Sonic in the Satam kept spouting about how certain things were "Way past cool" and incredibly lame one-liners. If anything it was Satam where it overblew how hard they tried to make him sound cool. Like it all you want, but keep it accurate, dude.

You mean like in Colors?

The thing is, Game Sonic still knows where to draw the line and act serious where it is necessitated. He clearly took the Egg Nega Wisp seriously in Colours because he would not permit Tails to fight it alongside him, even putting Tails' safety above his own ideology.

Other times, it's fairly obvious that Sonic knows he can take down Eggman's other robots because they look like pushovers to him. Hence, he acts light-heartedly.

In Archie issue 184, it was established that Knuxerjak (I'll call him that XD) was a seriously dangerous threat. He pwned Shadow with ease and it's made pretty clear that it's not Knuckles anymore. Hence why Sonic would have little reason to take the piss out of him like he tends to do with normal Knux. Seriousness where the situation dictates is the line between a Sonic you can take seriously and one you just can't and if anything, stepping over that line makes Sonic feel stupid.

I'm all for Sonic making jests but not when it's been well established that he knows when it's time to get serious.

One sided? Maybe. Creepy? Starting wonder if I should even bother with that...

Well Tails pretty much took his feelings for the robot Fiona and transferred them to the real thing. I find that pretty creepy.

The thing is, Game Sonic still knows where to draw the line and act serious where it is necessitated. He clearly took the Egg Nega Wisp seriously in Colours because he would not permit Tails to fight it alongside him, even putting Tails' safety above his own ideology.

Yet at the same time, Sonic was still making fun of Eggman's speeches while at the same time guarding Tails. Plus, at that particular moment in the comic, Sonic was directly challenged by Enerjak to make more remarks. Of course he's gonna take up the invitation and lay the verbal smackdown! What else is he gonna do, beg for mercy? Really any other response in that situation would be out of character for Sonic.

Well Tails pretty much took his feelings for the robot Fiona and transferred them to the real thing. I find that pretty creepy.

That sounds more like you're looking for excuses, but whatever dude. I'm not going to argue with you over it.

Curious about something now; what do you lot make of AoStH Sonic's characterisation?

I like it. AoStH Sonic, unlike SatAM Sonic, wasn't a jerk by any stretch of the word. He was just a friendly, fun-loving guy with an inflated ego. Unlike SatAM Sonic, he very rarely felt the need to feed that ego by putting others down. Practically the only characters he was truly snippy and sarcastic towards were villains, which was fine since they of course deserved it.

Also, he seemed closer to Tails than any other version of the character. And if there is one thing that i think 99% of us fans can agree on when it comes to Sonic's characterization, it's that he and Tails should be like a total bff's.

... but then again, AoStH's might have gone a bit to far by having them sleep in the same bed. Seriosuly, can you imagine the game versions of the characters doing that? The word "awkward" wouldn't even begin to describe that scenario!

(Although im sure a certain Flyboy Fox would'nt mind it...:P)

... but then again, AoStH's might have gone a bit to far by having them sleep in the same bed. Seriosuly, can you imagine the game versions of the characters doing that? The word "awkward" wouldn't even begin to describe that scenario!

(Although im sure a certain Flyboy Fox would'nt mind it...tongue.png)

Then again, it might've just been a mistake by the artists, plus it was never really brought up again.

My ideal characterization of Sonic?

For starters, I'd take the Sonic from Colours and expand him. Given that the series has been going on for 20 years worth of adventures, it makes alot of sense that Sonic doesn't really take his adventures that seriously anymore and sees them as a bit of a 'just another day' kind of thing. I also like his natural banter with Tails and Eggman. However, I'd like to add to that a little bit further by making Sonic a recognized hero - after saving the day as much as he has and going on so many adventures, Sonic should be recognized by the human populace as a celebrity of sorts, as he is in Sonic Jam's 'Man Of The Year' short, and some later episodes of Sonic X.

In effect, I'd give Sonic and Eggman the Batmanification treatment. Sonic would be something of an anti-hero in the eyes of the world, recognized for saving the day and being a charismatic figure, but also feared to an extent because wherever he goes, trouble is sure to follow and thousands of dollars worth of damage will likely be done (see: the first part of City Escape). We also see a little bit of this in the Black Knight; Sonic isn't afraid to be seen as the villain so long as he thinks he's doing the right thing. Such would also be true of Eggman, who would be considered an international villain and wouldn't just be wandering around like he's never tried destroying/conquering the world. Together, they'd be seen as an inseperable, infamous pair who are always attempting to one-up each other like in Colours, sometimes for no reason other than simply for something to kill the time. That said, even with the cockiness of Colours and an element of infamy to him, Sonic would still have to show elements of his heart of gold, and the odd moment when he is pushed to his limit and shows emotions such as anger, which he normally keeps below the surface.

So in essence, I'd like to see the qualities of Sonic and Eggman being highly exaggerated and put under the spotlight. It'd be nice to see them represented as recognizable icons of great fame, as they are on the mural of Hidden Palace - their rivalry is so persistent that it even permeates time, showing up as murals in the past and being paralleled by great historical figures such as Gerald Robotnik and his own hedgehog creation.

But I'm pretty sure the way I've worded it makes it sound incredibly tacky and cliche. Oh well~

My ideal characterization of Sonic?

For starters, I'd take the Sonic from Colours and expand him. Given that the series has been going on for 20 years worth of adventures, it makes alot of sense that Sonic doesn't really take his adventures that seriously anymore and sees them as a bit of a 'just another day' kind of thing. I also like his natural banter with Tails and Eggman. However, I'd like to add to that a little bit further by making Sonic a recognized hero - after saving the day as much as he has and going on so many adventures, Sonic should be recognized by the human populace as a celebrity of sorts, as he is in Sonic Jam's 'Man Of The Year' short, and some later episodes of Sonic X.

In effect, I'd give Sonic and Eggman the Batmanification treatment. Sonic would be something of an anti-hero in the eyes of the world, recognized for saving the day and being a charismatic figure, but also feared to an extent because wherever he goes, trouble is sure to follow and thousands of dollars worth of damage will likely be done (see: the first part of City Escape). We also see a little bit of this in the Black Knight; Sonic isn't afraid to be seen as the villain so long as he thinks he's doing the right thing. Such would also be true of Eggman, who would be considered an international villain and wouldn't just be wandering around like he's never tried destroying/conquering the world. Together, they'd be seen as an inseperable, infamous pair who are always attempting to one-up each other like in Colours, sometimes for no reason other than simply for something to kill the time. That said, even with the cockiness of Colours and an element of infamy to him, Sonic would still have to show elements of his heart of gold, and the odd moment when he is pushed to his limit and shows emotions such as anger, which he normally keeps below the surface.

So in essence, I'd like to see the qualities of Sonic and Eggman being highly exaggerated and put under the spotlight. It'd be nice to see them represented as recognizable icons of great fame, as they are on the mural of Hidden Palace - their rivalry is so persistent that it even permeates time, showing up as murals in the past and being paralleled by great historical figures such as Gerald Robotnik and his own hedgehog creation.

But I'm pretty sure the way I've worded it makes it sound incredibly tacky and cliche. Oh well~

Dont forget Silver and Eggman NEGA!

On OVA

I do keep going on about how I do love Sonic's characterisation in the OVA.

His supposed hot temper shows up, but otherwise aloof, though he just might just choose not help you unless your actually going to die, which I guess isn't SegaSonic, but admittedly I like my Sonic to be a bit of a badboy.

He just generally comes across as a total badass in this anime for me, he was a true 'dude with an attitude' more than SegaSonic ever was.

The only thing is, this quite clearly isn't Sonic from the games, he could indeed be considered OOC and a great deal of people would pass bricks if he started acting like he was in the OVA, which was admittedly a bit of a jerk, and I am quite possibly in the minority for liking him like that, sticking to game material is the best for the series regardless of what I like.

I think Sonic's OVA portrayal makes a nice midway point between SegaSonic's friendliness and loud exuberance and with Fleetway Sonic who I think shows attitude and ego in more realistic ways (the way characters and events reacted to his character was less realistic though), but is horrendously uptight and aggressive.

Of course, Tails in the OVA too, I just find him sooo adorable.

On the games

If I had to choose one game to base Sonic off of, it would be SatBK.

I just adored how he laid the cockiness on real thick in the opening and assumed he knew exactly what was going on, how Lancelot challenged him and Sonic just didn't take him seriously, Sonic's joking about the area being filled with monsters "It's kinda like a halloween party!" and how Sonic boasts about how Merlina's training is too easy.

Of course then there's the relationship between Sonic and Caliburn,the banter between them was very amusing and it was the most believable out of all the duos Sonic has been temporarily put into,this, plus Caliburn's own personality makes Caliburn my favourite one-time sidekick,infact the very moment Sonic first lays eyes on Caliburn they trade comments.

Also quite liking SA1, SA2, Sonic unleashed, and apart from the smarmy lines, SatSR.

I really dislike how much of a ham Sonic became with Sonic heroes, I don't think that ever quite went away, he seemed to get the idea that preaching about the super power of Teamwork, spouting out pseudo-smart statements about how running is the answer to everything (If you have time to worry,then run.) and more recently, monologuing and drawing out jokes are good idea, with that ego? I don't think so, see people with egos; they always strive to keep grace and composure, they do try to be cool, often, they try too hard, and get themselves into problems because of it, that means he's going to be more reserved than that.

He has a couple of cheesy lines in SaTBK (like the comment about the monsters) but they're actually pretty funny rather than annoying, I don't mind a few lines like this, especially as he's been like that in some way for quite some time now, and it can be a good source of amusement.

If there's one thing I'll add, it's that they should expand a little more on Sonic's uneasiness around water. Not to the point that it consumes his character, just amusing little nods here and there. I just find it ridiculous how he's on the ocean for the entirety of SRA and his 'fear' never comes up yet Blaze's Acrophobia and Marina's ghost fear is brought up. Same thing goes for SatSR too. There's water all around him in Pirate Storm and yet he says he loves coming to the ocean. Errr....what?

Edited by Mysterics

Sonic IMO should be like Kid Flash from Young Justice, more focused on making him acting like he's the coolest and a insta snarker. Tails should be his Robin. Someone who grounds him everytime he does something incredibly stupid and immature.

I practically enjoyed how Sonic was in Sonic X; it was kind of a mix of his personalities from the games and the TV shows. basically cocky, carefree, kind and even showed sympathy in sorrowful moments, while displaying anger in others. he also was capable of showing a much more serious side which was clearly seen in the SA2 adaptation story arc - especially in the fight against the final hazard and the subsequent use of Chaos Control with Shadow to get the Ark back up in orbit.

if you want a more comical effect for a joke once in a while; keep the fear of water thing he displayed. I for one thought his attempts at super speeding off the deck of a ship trying to use the momentum to get to a nearby iceberg and epic failing hilarious.

Edited by Shinigami
  • Thumbs Up 3

I practically enjoyed how Sonic was in Sonic X; it was kind of a mix of his personalities from the games and the TV shows. basically cocky, carefree, kind and even showed sympathy in sorrowful moments, while displaying anger in others. he also was capable of show a much more serious side which was clearly seen in the SA2 adaptation story arc - especially in the fight against the final hazard and the subsequent use of Chaos Control with Shadow to get the Ark back up in orbit.

if you want a more comical effect for a joke once in a while; keep the fear of water thing he displayed. I for one thought his attempts at super speeding off the deck of a ship trying to use the momentum to get to a nearby iceberg and epic failing hilarious.

I'm gonna be in the minority and disagree, I think Sonic was possibly the most boring character in X, at least later in the show's run anyway. After the first season, he gradually lost most of his cockiness, and other quirky traits and by the time season 3 came around he was the most infallible character on the main cast, he had no glaring negative traits, and he had lost most of the things that made him distinct as a character, he became more of an everyman basically.

Oh wait, 182 actually. Found it.

...Sonic trapped by an enemy and mouthing off in his face even though he knows he's likely about to get hurt?

Yeah, Sonic would do that. Sonic would totally do that. 'Sides, Enerjoke kinda provoked him to it, and all things considered, Sonic is a cocky deadpan snarker. I do like those appropriate times he gets serious, but in this case I think Enerjak was asking for it. ;)

I've got a mixed opinion on Archie-Sonic. There's a lot of his characterization I think is off (womanizer and tendency to kiss Sally's ass, fighting Tails, etc.) but seeing as how it's such a big comic series, there's a lot that's decent, too. They just make him conform to their plot ideas too much for the sake of his character.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

I practically enjoyed how Sonic was in Sonic X; it was kind of a mix of his personalities from the games and the TV shows. basically cocky, carefree, kind and even showed sympathy in sorrowful moments, while displaying anger in others. he also was capable of showing a much more serious side which was clearly seen in the SA2 adaptation story arc - especially in the fight against the final hazard and the subsequent use of Chaos Control with Shadow to get the Ark back up in orbit.

Actually, he defied his fear of water by jumping off and risking falling in, even after falling in several time he kept going for it,because he was frustrated being stuck somewhere he couldn't run, cue other characters trying to convince him on how he needs rest, he eventually gets the picture and agrees to stay on the boat, fear of water intact, but convinced enough that he won't fall.

I'm gonna be in the minority and disagree, I think Sonic was possibly the most boring character in X, at least later in the show's run anyway. After the first season, he gradually lost most of his cockiness, and other quirky traits and by the time season 3 came around he was the most infallible character on the main cast, he had no glaring negative traits, and he had lost most of the things that made him distinct as a character, he became more of an everyman basically.

I see where both of you are coming from, I think Sonic in Sonic X was fine at first, then Sonic started kissing Chris's ass and his characterisation went downhill from there, and it got real bad in the Meterex saga...

Before he turned into an' everyman', Sonic X's version of Sonic could actually be rather a jerk sometimes, which considering I'm quite fond of Sonic in the OVA this is something I'm more than lenient with, and found it entertaining while it lasted.

And Shadic93, you're in the majority for thinking Sonic in SonicX is boring.

Edited by Mysterics

• 5 months later...

BUMP!

So, Sonic's character. Something that many of us enjoy to discuss.

Myself, I think Sonic`s Storybook character was the best. He was cocky without being overly cocky, had a sympathetic side, and all of his traits were fairly well balanced. I know this is a pathetic post to bump the topic with but 1. I`m lazy and 2. I don`t feel much else needs to be said.

I know this is a pathetic post to bump the topic with but 1. I`m lazy and 2. I don`t feel much else needs to be said.

Yeah it sure is. It's not like this hasn't been discussed to death so many times in the past. :V