Awoo.

Silver's potential...

CrownSlayer’s Shadow

Sup e'rybody? The Devil of SSMB here! (what the hell did you think my member title said? Translate it why don'cha?) And he just thought of another radical notion!

So we all know about Silver right? Resident butt monkey among the many of you, debuted in a terrible game, powers cranked up to 11 in Generations based on the preview images, that sort of thing. Well this just gave me a jolt of ideas. It should be no surprise to any of you that Silver has a very limited use in this series outside the role of a "time cop", but lately, I've begun to have a few ideas to broaden his use. That very topic got me on the idea of having Silver as a villain. Now let me get this out of the way, there's no way in hell I believe Silver would actually be a villain on purpose at all. But that's where I got a more expanded use for the idea. Instead of making Silver a willing villain, why not have him as an unwilling one?

The summary of the idea was basically to have Silver jump through time for whatever reason: he could be traveling to stop an event from affecting his time period, an accidental rift forces him into this time period, or he may be time traveling for a vacation. But at any rate, he get's captured and mind controlled by a villain to become subservient to them and is used as an living instrumental weapon of psychokinetic destruction at the whim of his captor. Many of you say that you couldn't take Silver seriously as a villain, but I personally beg to differ and believe this is the very way he could become somewhat of a villain. Well...okay, he wouldn't be much of a villain, but still it's just an idea. The interesting thing about this is that it completely sidesteps using Time Travel as a basis for the plot - everything would take place entirely in the present until Silver is finally released from his shackles as a mind slave to whoever captured him, and then he can simply time travel back to his time period at the end, or another plot could be about finding a way to get Silver back to his future since no character truly knows how to time travel at this point and (unless Generation shows otherwise beyond Time Eater screwing things up) and all events in that plot are still grounded in the present.

Who would that captor be? The original idea I had in the "Silver as a villain" topic was mainly to make use of the Nocturnus clan and bring them into the series canon, but Eggman is equally more than capable of being able to make some device to bring Silver under his control. I just wanted to see what Silver would look like in one of the Nocturnus' suits. tongue.png (I may actually sketch one up myself to get an idea)

But that's just a small idea of this topic. The real meat of the topic is for many of you to brainstorm potential uses for Silver outside of the time cop role. After tons and tons of arguing about Knuckles needing to guard the Master Emerald (and I will shove an active grenade down your throat, kick you square in the balls/vagina, and shoot you with a spartan laser if you EVER start that debate in this topic IN THAT ORDER!), I've came up with 11 ways Knuckles could get involved based around that restriction and even found a way to break him free. For Silver, it's quite a different story as the most we've come up with is a way to break him free by having him stay in the present. The only other idea aside from that would be to have Sonic get transported into the future by some freak accident and find a way to get back to the present.

This is gonna be very difficult, I know. (it might not even get enough responses to it) But if you ask me, that's the fun that goes into the brainstorming process. In case I need to be clear, this is for the game canon. You can use Archie as a way to bring some ideas to the table, but this is for a potential story in the game canon. I know it's not ever going to get to Sonic Team, but who cares? Don't answer that...

DISCLAIMER: NO suggestions on killing the character! Don't even joke about it either. This ain't gonna be the topic for it. NO EXCEPTIONS! ¿Comprende?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Oh for the love of...

Anyway Silver yeah, his problem is that his story is pretty much a dead end, his future is screwed up and he has the to fix it, but once that's over with, what else is there? I mean its obvious Sega still counts him a recurring character and he can't have the same excuse every time he appears, so here's my solution.

Have Silver come back to the past for the same reason, but rather than go back to the future, how about he stays in the past? To ensure that the future he went through never comes to light, his screentime can be devoted to figuring out how things work in the past as opposed to his own time and adjusting to them, a fish out of water basically. I'd also develop a one sided rivalry between him and Shadow, why? Because from what I've seen of Silver, he's a naive idealist, an inexperienced kid who thinks he can take on the world, so naturally he would see someone like Shadow as a villain or maybe someone who shouldn't be trusted, and Shadow being who he is would probably blow him off, or see him as a nuisance. Maybe Shadow belittles Silver's idealism and tells him he should grow up, while Silver rebukes that he'll never give up his beliefs, it would be a clash of Idealism vs. Cynicism basically.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh for the love of...

There, I'm not posting it anymore.

I kinda already covered the "keep him in the past" part near the end of my OP. Even then, could you think of more plot based uses to get him involved beyond the cynicism vs idealism and figuring out how the past works? Or would you exhaust yourself brainstorming?

Yep. Its difficult.

But there are some ways to make him more usable. First he should stay in the past and cooperate with GUN to prevent bad future from happening. He wont tell them about next Adventures because of fear of paradox. This way we can establish Rivaly beetwen him and Shadow.

Its hard to make him usable outside of "Time Cop" role. Its like part of character like M.E in Knuckles case. We just neec to make him stay in past and BOOM! We have another backstory not affecting appearances like in Shadow's case. The same deal with Blaze really.

Good to see someone post something about silver other than LOLPOTHEAD.

I dunno, I can't really see him as a very intimidating villain. I can't really think of a reason as to why he would go villain that wouldn't come across as cliche.

Edited by Solkia

Good to see someone post something about silver other than LOLPOTHEAD.

I dunno, I can't really see him as a very intimidating villain. I can't really think of a reason as to why he would go villain that wouldn't come across as cliche.

It's not just villain roles, dude. It mainly to use him for more than just a time cop. Basically, brainstorm a way where he could come to the past without making the plot involve too much of his future or to broaden his use beyond "lol, I'm from the future!" Make him more involved as a character without him being redundant.

My idea of having him mind controlled to work for a villain does that with near to nothing about the future, as everything would happen completely in the present.

I always thought silver was an interesting character and in order to redeem this character can't just have him come from the future without knowing anything about him. Personally I don't think him being mind controlled would help flesh out his character. I would rather him in a game that is once again centered around him saving the future but this time with a little more character development of silver and more justification of why is he doing this. Because face it we know very little about and his future seem very unstable as it is so I don't see why we can't have a game that gives silver a decent backstory like *coughShadowhadcough*.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always thought silver was an interesting character and in order to redeem this character can't just have him come from the future without knowing anything about him. Personally I don't think him being mind controlled would help flesh out his character. I would rather him in a game that is once again centered around him saving the future but this time with a little more character development of silver and more justification of why is he doing this. Because face it we know very little about and his future seem very unstable as it is so I don't see why we can't have a game that gives silver a decent backstory like *coughShadowhadcough*.

And exactly how long would you expect that to pan out? This isn't limited to Silver's character, dude. This is about increasing his longevity and use in the series. That's why I had the idea of having him mind controlled, as it sidesteps a whole lot of the issues regarding his limit as someone protecting his time period. The only thing it violates is the character's actual character, but that's the whole freaking point behind having him mind controlled in the first place, so it side-steps that issue and becomes more understandable.

Silver being from the future is going to be obvious at times, but at this point it can also be predictable and ran thin the more you keep involving plots about it unless you can come up with other ways to keep it fresh. And to keep the character from falling down that path, we're going to have to think outside the box. Simply having him come to the present and explain what he's doing is not exactly going to do that, because you can only run so far with it before it gets stale. One way to work around that is to send our characters from the present into the future, and learn about it, and therefore learn more about Silver when they cross paths with each other.

But what more can be done beyond that? That's the aim here. One other solution is to make him a time cop, but unless someone can give that a fresh jolt of ideas, that sounds like it won't go any further beyond that, and I also happen to think it can become quite a Deus Ex Machina in future plots.

Then there's keeping him in the present, but I want to use his connection to the future a bit more before placing him in that position.

Well for one I would at least give the character the same treatment as knuckles was back in sonic adventure. That game was one of the best characterization of knux thus far and I feel that a game centered around silver and trying to get to know the character a little more that just throwing him in the line of fire would help. That way we can finally show that silver got what I takes to be in future games without people BAWWWING about him how the character sucks so much give him a chance for once.

Silver being from the future will be obvious just like knux connection the emeralds or blaze being from an alternate dimension that's where their from that is what make silver unique to be honest. I like how you said sonic should come into silvers domain try to help him in the future. This would help us understand why is his future so unstable, why is he such a jackass, why is he trying to save everyone. That would make a better scenario than being mind controlled just to get away for the fact that he's from the future.

To be honest I don't see the reason in just keeping him in the present just cuz. It takes away the uniqueness of the character and really doesn't make sense in the first place. Just because we cant think of any way to bring silver in without getting the future involved, we just say fuck it just keep him in the present. I feel that silver has a lot of untapped potential that hasn't been used yet and I can work if they really want to put the work in on this character.

Here's an interesting thing. He does something terrible in his future (perhaps as a result of PTSD like Shadow,) and has to prevent it from happening. Thus, he has to go back to the past to find his parents and kill them before he is created. Thus we learn who his parents are, along with some more of his backstory, and it might be good for character development. Also, a scene similar to the one below would be awesome (start from the beginning so it makes sense.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW-8-92slek&feature=related

Ok I just came up with idea. Its like half-Time Cop idea. First Silver is from Future so in order to get involved he or other chars need to Time Travell. He and Blaze are in very difficult position because of this.

Now lets make a game where Sonic, Shadow and rest go to the Future. This may be caused by Chaos Emerald since we remember that Chaos and Sol Emeralds are similar and latter can transport someone, somewhere when certain dimension/time period needs help.

So that Future will be destroyed by some new Villian (Lets clear Silver's issue before involving Nega and Blaze to this mess). EGGMAN of course will be transported too. Lets say he will unite with that new Villian (this may cause some hillarious scenes by the way).

So Heroes lets say Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Shadow and Rouge will meet like 2 new characters there. One will be one-time character that will work in Rebellion. Later Heroes will meet Silver who will explain this whole mess. Othe new character will be very important for Silver in future games.

Listen I dont read Archie but I heard that Silver has a master there. So I watched Silver Saga (Sonic Universe) and thought "Hey thats kinda nice idea". See Silver is Very powerfull (As we can see in SG screenshots) but he is young (I mean younger than Sonic. Sonic is 15 while Silver is 14) so he would need a master to understand his powers. So we will let Heroes meet his master as one of Rebellion Leaders and then Silver lets say will report. And then he will explain everything (Insert joke where Master mistakes Shadow and Sonic for Silver here).

Okay later they will defeat the threat and everything will be fine for now in future. And at the end Master will say to Silver that he should be in present to help avoid Crisises like one that just happened. So he will travell to past and stay there BUT he still will travell to future and have contact with his Master. I think it would be pretty nice since explanation of his appearances in games could be explained in 2 ways:

1.He is trying to prevent something but he dont say this to anyone to not create pradox. Or he would explain it later on.

2. He is just helping Sonic and/or others to prevent EGGMAN/any other Villian from doing bad things.

What do you guys think.

I think Silver's a great character :) In order to bring back his abilities in Sonic games I suggest we get to know more about the character and his background. For future Sonic games if Silver appears again, playable or non-playable I'd like to seem him in his world for once I wouldn't mind Sonic having the choice to exploring in hub worlds and entering different planets or it could be something else different or similar. I'd like to see what the future is like maybe to connect with the storyline like his world being in danger could link to the main storyline of the game which means he's involved maybe we see a different side of the Future that we never expected he's mentioned it's a bright future but what if this time it could turn around into something worse it could be the work of his enemy - Eggman Nega It's just a thought though I'd like to know more about Silver since it's happened to other characters I would like him to be playable again and I'm sure they can improve his gameplay. Also a different side to the character when he's in The Future....

^^That seems overly complicated just for the sake of it, I can make a much more simple version, Watch and behold.

The game stars Silver(Obviously), The triple threat along with Amy, and a new personal antagonist for Silver, Eggman isn't in this.

So the game opens with a boss fight and you play it as Silver, hes fighting against *Insert Generic Villain name here* as hes about to take over the future for himself. Silver being the desperate guy he is believes the only way to stop him is to banish him from his time, so Silver pulls out *GASP* a time stone(Yes those are returning, a game about time travel deserves a mention to the time stones) as he charges Generic the Villain he shouts Time Control, as the villain disappears in a blinding flash of light so does Silver as he was too close to the blast. Silver wakes up in Sonic's era(Obviously not realizing this at first) inside of a jungle, cue first zone, after Act 2 Silver manages to get his way out of the jungle and find a familiar emerald shrine. Silver is amazed by the huge emerald before him, but before he can approach it, Knuckles manages to stop him, believing him to be a thief. Just before the two can fight(I wanna avoid character fights if I can, I kinda think they're overused in this series) the second boss of the game shows up, he is one of the generals of generic the villain who was caught in the flash that brought him and his master to the past. Silver explains to Knuckles who the guy is, then Knuckles engages in the boss, you learn Knuckles` controls, etc. etc. beat the boss, afterwards Silver tries following him, but Knuckles forces him back down and makes him explain just what was going on, Silver really not having any choice decides to explain his situation, after hearing Silver out, Knuckles apologizes for his hostile attitude earlier and decides to help him in his quest to make

up for it. This is when the focus switches back to Sonic, and Tails who are helping Amy with some shopping.

I'll probably do more later because I'm lazy.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think I have an idea or two regarding how Silver can have some relevance without dropping his unique "status" as the "character from the future". Admittedly though my ideas might not exactly work in a more serious story setting, and generally the way I have them right now, they'd only really work if Silver was living in a "Good Future".

One of the first ones is for maybe Silver to become tied in with some kind of historical society in his time, and by becoming a researcher for them he has more reason to travel back to get first hand experience with one of his universe's greatest heroes (Big Sonic of course tongue.png). This helps open up a more friendly role for the character (since most of his other roles have had him as a more competitive character), while also making him less of an overall focus to the plot of the game he's appearing in (since he's been a bit of a spot-light hog in some of his past appearances).

Another idea, more suited for a spin-off really, would be for there to be some kind of giant sporting event (think the World Grand Prix in Riders kinda thing) taking place in Silver's time, so he takes a little trip backwards to ask Sonic and pals (assuming they're on friendly terms) to join his side. Taking this route would also maybe allow for some more unique environments for the stages to take place.

Another possible one would be that Silver would have to travel back in order to obtain a material that is perhaps unobtainable in his time, with the catch being that in the main timeline Eggman or whatever other villain of the day happens to using as well (the material itself could be anything, from some kind of plant that Eggman is maybe using as his latest robot battery, to fur from a certain particular species of friend who has been kidnapped tongue.png). This way you also tie Silver into the main plot, but without all the drama of "SAVING THE FUTURRRRRRR!" :V

...And that's the ideas I got so far, now ready for dissection from anyone who feels like it tongue.png

^^That seems overly complicated just for the sake of it, I can make a much more simple version, Watch and behold.

The game stars Silver(Obviously), The triple threat along with Amy, and a new personal antagonist for Silver, Eggman isn't in this.

So the game opens with a boss fight and you play it as Silver, hes fighting against *Insert Generic Villain name here* as hes about to take over the future for himself. Silver being the desperate guy he is believes the only way to stop him is to banish him from his time, so Silver pulls out *GASP* a time stone(Yes those are returning, a game about time travel deserves a mention to the time stones) as he charges Generic the Villain he shouts Time Control, as the villain disappears in a blinding flash of light so does Silver as he was too close to the blast. Silver wakes up in Sonic's era(Obviously not realizing this at first) inside of a jungle, cue first zone, after Act 2 Silver manages to get his way out of the jungle and find a familiar emerald shrine. Silver is amazed by the huge emerald before him, but before he can approach it, Knuckles manages to stop him, believing him to be a thief. Just before the two can fight(I wanna avoid character fights if I can, I kinda think they're overused in this series) the second boss of the game shows up, he is one of the generals of generic the villain who was caught in the flash that brought him and his master to the past. Silver explains to Knuckles who the guy is, then Knuckles engages in the boss, you learn Knuckles` controls, etc. etc. beat the boss, afterwards Silver tries following him, but Knuckles forces him back down and makes him explain just what was going on, Silver really not having any choice decides to explain his situation, after hearing Silver out, Knuckles apologizes for his hostile attitude earlier and decides to help him in his quest to make

up for it. This is when the focus switches back to Sonic, and Tails who are helping Amy with some shopping.

I'll probably do more later because I'm lazy.

Yeah I am overthinking things but I doubt Time-Stones will return. And judging by current series writting we could get some hillarious scened with Knux and Silver. Like Silver meditating for whatever reason (trying to sense power of that new Villian?) and Knux is like "What the heck you are doing?".

Other than that I likr your idea. But I doubt it could be used for Main Series game. It would be canon like Rush tho. But I could see it on Vita or 3DS. (Probably Vita since 3DS would probably have another Rush)

Yeah I am overthinking things but I doubt Time-Stones will return. And judging by current series writting we could get some hillarious scened with Knux and Silver. Like Silver meditating for whatever reason (trying to sense power of that new Villian?) and Knux is like "What the heck you are doing?".

Other than that I likr your idea. But I doubt it could be used for Main Series game. It would be canon like Rush tho. But I could see it on Vita or 3DS. (Probably Vita since 3DS would probably have another Rush)

Never say never, if thinks like The Chaotix can return, anything can come back. And I'm really going for a general synopsis more than anything, I'll probably commission someone to write this story If I can.

I don't see why it can't be used as a main series game, especially since it does the one thing Sega are so afraid to do, actually bring in more characters into the series and not have them be background NPC's at best. All of the characters are optional and play generally the same aside from their special abilities(Speed, Flight, Power, Hammer, and Psychokinesis respectively)

Never say never, if thinks like The Chaotix can return, anything can come back. And I'm really going for a general synopsis more than anything, I'll probably commission someone to write this story If I can.

I don't see why it can't be used as a main series game, especially since it does the one thing Sega are so afraid to do, actually bring in more characters into the series and not have them be background NPC's at best. All of the characters are optional and play generally the same aside from their special abilities(Speed, Flight, Power, Hammer, and Psychokinesis respectively)

It would be one of 2 games (with first being SatBK) to lack EGGMAN. And thats why I think it wouldnt be Main Series game. If its Main Series then there has to be EGGMAN. I dont have problem with his absence but others can have.

And multiple playables are MUST for next game (at least for me) and this would be nice to have balanced number of 5 playables first.

It would be one of 2 games (with first being SatBK) to lack EGGMAN. And thats why I think it wouldnt be Main Series game. If its Main Series then there has to be EGGMAN. I dont have problem with his absence but others can have.

First off: Eggman doesn't have to be anywhere, a game doesn't necessarily need to have Eggman in someway shape and form, just like how a game doesn't need characters like Knuckles or Shadow, a story should use whoever they feel is appropriate, because the story is more or less about Silver I want an antagonist that he can focus on rather than share Sonic's.

First off: Eggman doesn't have to be anywhere, a game doesn't necessarily need to have Eggman in someway shape and form, just like how a game doesn't need characters like Knuckles or Shadow, a story should use whoever they feel is appropriate, because the story is more or less about Silver I want an antagonist that he can focus on rather than share Sonic's.

I know and I have absolutely no problem with this. But other probably will have. But I see what you want to do here. It would be kinda like Rush Adventure but in Sonic world right? I actually liked how Whiskers and Johnny did as one-time Viilians. It was fresh.

I know and I have absolutely no problem with this. But other probably will have. But I see what you want to do here. It would be kinda like Rush Adventure but in Sonic world right? I actually liked how Whiskers and Johnny did as one-time Viilians. It was fresh.

Fuck those people, if they can't accept change, they need to take off the nostalgia goggles and smell the roses.

Besides this can easily be rectified by actually making the substitute villain an interesting character in his own right, no one minded Whisker and Johnny as the new villains and I'm actually kind of mad that Eggman took over their role.

Fuck those people, if they can't accept change, they need to take off the nostalgia goggles and smell the roses.

Besides this can easily be rectified by actually making the substitute villain an interesting character in his own right, no one minded Whisker and Johnny as the new villains and I'm actually kind of mad that Eggman took over their role.

And this is the problem of modern gaming journalism. 100% agree on whole post not only bolded thing.

I was gonna say how I disagree, but then you brought up the subject of how Silver needs an antagonist which changes things.

Of course, the problem would be making an effective antagonist. There's Nega, of course, but there's also the potential to create a new one...of course, who knows the reception with that? Nega's reception is blurry to say the least, but I've not seen much in support of the character myself as he's usually called an Eggman recolor or something along those lines (not that they'd be wrong, but still).

However, it depends on the plot. A general thing in mind for Silver is that if he were to come to the present, he'd more than likely be facing Eggman; If everyone else were to come to the future, everyone else would be facing whatever threat Silver is facing, and it doesn't necessarily have to be Eggman.

I was gonna say how I disagree, but then you brought up the subject of how Silver needs an antagonist which changes things.

Of course, the problem would be making an effective antagonist. There's Nega, of course, but there's also the potential to create a new one...of course, who knows the reception with that? Nega's reception is blurry to say the least, but I've not seen much in support of the character myself as he's usually called an Eggman recolor or something along those lines (not that they'd be wrong, but still).

However, it depends on the plot. A general thing in mind for Silver is that if he were to come to the present, he'd more than likely be facing Eggman; If everyone else were to come to the future, everyone else would be facing whatever threat Silver is facing, and it doesn't necessarily have to be Eggman.

I don't know about you guys, but i think Nega is perfect for the role of being Silver's current antagonist. Heck, after being left to die in a world bursting in flames and monsters, the guy's next move is KILL SILV!wink.png

Edited by Revlis1