Awoo.

A change in the monarchy!

Mick

http://socialitelife.com/kate-and-williams-first-born-daughter-could-be-queen-photos-10-2011

Surprise! I'm not from the UK and I'm actually posting a topic about something going on over there. I'm a bit surprised no one has posted something about this. Yeah, I know this is a UK based site and I figured you have probably heard this. I just overheard my mom talking about a change in the monarchy and I just had to Google it.

Sorry I couldn't find a real good news link this. Maybe someone here will provide a better news link to this. Discuss it.

I'm a bit amazed that they changed after sooooo many years. What's your 2 cents on this? I'm curious to know since many of you are from the UK.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mick

• Mollfie

• Covskin

• Velotix von Skruviktorrius

You may be interested to learn that most of us Brits are utterly indifferent to the Royal Family as an institution one way or the other.

You may be interested to learn that most of us Brits are utterly indifferent to the Royal Family as an institution one way or the other.

That does surprise me. Does that mean even you guys are sick to death of the media's crazed obsession with the royals? Because I was a little creeped out looking at the newspapers and tabloids when I was in the UK.

That does surprise me. Does that mean even you guys are sick to death of the media's crazed obsession with the royals? Because I was a little creeped out looking at the newspapers and tabloids when I was in the UK.

More than sick to death of it. Then again, I'm a casual republican, so eh.

Yeah most people aren't all that bothered about the Royal family. Although equally a lot of people don't want them gone, because it's tradition and they bring in tourism, but they don't think they're very interesting or all that important. Most people tend to think that the Royal family don't do anything and therefore kind of resent them. I do know a fair few people though who were all excited about the Royal wedding.

I do think that the throne should go to the first born regardless of sex, and that they should be allowed to say no or give up the throne if they want to. I think that people forget that it's always first born boys because we've had the Queen for such a long time.

I don't understand the notion, that ''most'' Brits don't give a damn about the royal family. I assumed that the popularity surrounding the royal wedding (as well as the extra holiday that went with it) and the reactions surrounding Diana death said the exact opposite. Don't get me wrong, were not as obsessed as people on the outside think we are about them, but damn would there be a massive outcry if they were gone.

It's a sliding scale of caring. For me, I don't mind important news being relayed (such as things like this) but not all the gossipy bullshit. But then, I'm against gossipy bullshit anyway.

I don't understand the notion, that ''most'' Brits don't give a damn about the royal family. I assumed that the popularity surrounding the royal wedding (as well as the extra holiday that went with it) and the reactions surrounding Diana death said the exact opposite. Don't get me wrong, were not as obsessed as people on the outside think we are about them, but damn would there be a massive outcry if they were gone.

It depends. The Royal Wedding is a big deal, and it was also the angle of a 'commoner' (who is not so common) marrying a Prince. With Diana she wasn't just a Princess, she did so much good and was generally seen as a wonderful person.

I do think that there would be an outcry if the Royal family were removed but mostly because of tradition rather than any one really liking them. It happens with a lot of things, we might not like something but if you try to remove it then we'll all rally around and try to keep it because we're used to it being there lol.

There are still a lot of Royalist out there though.

People were obsessed with the Royals during Will and Kates wedding primarily because Kate and later her sister Pippa were determined to be HAWT.

Trollface.jpg

Outside of the Middleton's (who are barely Royal) nobody gives a flying fuck about the Royal family.

I feel some people here are giving their own personal views and assuming the whole country agrees.

The Royal Family are still a big deal here, but it partly depends as to an individual's background and even age on whether they accept that fact or not.

Don't believe me? See how many days go past without at least one major news outlet running a story on the Royals. BBC1 have just had a series about their Official Residences. There were stories about Prince Phillip's birthday. We've had 2 Royal Weddings, and even the one that tried to stay low-key was the main news of the day. Harry's trip to the Artic. Beatrice, Eugenie and Sarah Ferguson (ex-Royal, I know...). And of course, this week you've had the story about succession...expect to hear a fair bit more about that one in the future.

Would we ever get rid of the Royal Family? I'd say there is a generational gap which differs here, but there's still enough youth that would gladly keep them. I don't expect them to disappear in my lifetime.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a republican myself, so I would celebrate the abolition of the royalty. I have a serious moral objection to anyone inheriting a position of power and influence in the state. True, we have a "constitutional monarchy", that has no real power, and the main power of the state is invested in the elected House of Commons, where it belongs; nevertheless, the reigning monarch is still an influential figure who has done nothing to earn or deserve that influence. It's an archaic institution that we simply do not need in this day and age. Moreover, I don't believe it would harm our tourist industry, either, because getting rid of the monarchy would not get rid of its place in British history. For example, I don't see the French tourist industry falling apart because they got rid of their monarchy; France, like Britain, is an ancient country with a long and fascinating history that people can still enjoy, no matter what kind of government it has today. Moreover, I think we do ourselves a tremendous disservice in assuming that no one would have any interest in Britain if we joined most of the modern world and became a republic. Is that really all we think we have to offer tourists from around the world? I don't believe that. There's so much more to Britain than the monarchy.

But, yeah, I know not everyone agrees with me. I've had enough arguments about this to be quite aware of that fact, so far be it from me to assume that I speak for a silent majority. I have no such illusions. Indeed, I think most people probably disagree with me.

Anyway, that's not what this topic's about, but I felt the need to say it. Personally, I think that, as long as we have to put up with this throwback to the dark ages, we should do everything in our power to make it as fair and equal as possible. So, I'm in favour of changing the line of succession to allow the eldest child to inherit the throne, regardless of sex. This change is well overdue and I don't know why it wasn't implemented decades ago. Hell, get rid of the line of succession altogether and have the next monarch elected from among the potential heirs. Anything that undermines this outdated institution will suit me just fine. Supporters can't play the "tradition" card when all the tradition has been excised from it, after all. And, of course, I am totally against the law forbidding marriage between the monarch and a Roman Catholic. I despise the Roman Catholic Church, but that doesn't mean I dislike Catholics and I hate this kind of institutional discrimination by the state a whole hell of a lot more than any church.

Edited by Eon

And, of course, I am totally against the law forbidding marriage between the monarch and a Roman Catholic. I despise the Roman Catholic Church, but that doesn't mean I dislike Catholics and I hate this kind of institutional discrimination by the state a whole hell of a lot more than any church.

Ignoring the rest of your post, as from reading it I gather you'd rather not debate the issue again. Apparently in this new Bill is also a statement that says Catholics are welcome again. Which is good.