Awoo.

Sonic X animation styles

Vertekins

I'm pretty sure that the characters in the SaTBK 2D art were all traced out of their 3D Unleashed/colors/generations models.

• 1 year later...

Wow. Haven't seen this thread in 3 years now? (And I still have the same avatar. Go fig.)

Most of the images posted here are gone, so it's almost impossible to tell what anyone's talking about.

One thing I did notice as I was looking around through the thread is that the animators would reuse certain character frames again and again; often repasting characters on other characters. I believe one image had Sonic looking like Knickles because they traced over him. It is lazy and cheap. Can't believe people could overlook some of this stuff.

I believe one image had Sonic looking like Knuckles because they traced over him. It is lazy and cheap.

Whaaaaat the fuuuuuu--

I HAVE to see this! I knew for a very long time that Sonic X had some of the worst animation I've ever seen (even Kirby looks better!) but this just makes it even worse!

Whaaaaat the fuuuuuu--

I HAVE to see this! I knew for a very long time that Sonic X had some of the worst animation I've ever seen (even Kirby looks better!) but this just makes it even worse!

I need to see this too. First there was Red Sonic in the classics, then Blue Knuckles in X.

I believe one image had Sonic looking like Knickles because they traced over him. It is lazy and cheap. Can't believe people could overlook some of this stuff.

I need to see this too. First there was Red Sonic in the classics, then Blue Knuckles in X.

a4o46w.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Red Sonic? And when was there a blue Knuckles in X?

a4o46w.png

How on earth did you find that mess? I thought the Sonic X screencaps site was lost forever. 

... Yeeesh, worse than I remember. They elongated Sonic's nose so it would match the length's of Knuckles. 

But here's an interesting pair of shots for you all, look at these two images.

greeneyeknux1.pnggreeneyeknux2.png

Knuckles is in the same pose, but his hands and mouth were sloppily changed.

Ironically enough, Sonic does actually turn red in a few frames in episode 54 :lol:

2rr41o8.png

This occurs for about 3 frames until the colourist seems to realize that he's blue and so he changes color

zj6zpu.png

You'd think that in the era of digital paint, coloring issues wouldn't be a problem.

On the plus side, the backgrounds were actually decent in that shot and not just a pencil tool paint job.

Not to mention Knuckles' eyes are green in those pictures!

Oh so that's the one! I've seen that picture before, yet I've only noticed now that it really does look like a blue Knuckles with Sonic's spines, some slight alterations and the biggest nose ever. It looks so wrong! XD

I don't think anything matches that time they found that underground forest and a bunch of characters were standing on a boat looking in one direction, something happens on the other side, and they all jerkily slide to the other side of the boat.

Man did Akom work on this show?

I don't think anything matches that time they found that underground forest and a bunch of characters were standing on a boat looking in one direction, something happens on the other side, and they all jerkily slide to the other side of the boat.

Man did Akom work on this show?

I posted this a while back (The producer of this show was TMS, believe it or not.):

INFO TIME:

Right then now, it's my turn to take a stand here. After a bit of snooping around, I managed to find some juicey information.

Sonic X's animation producer was Kenji Mizunuma, and from what I've seen, this was his first and only time as a animation producer. All of his other positions in other shows have been as:

Producer- Bakugan: Battle Brawlers

B'tX: Producer

B'TX Neo : Producer

Lupin III: Return of Pycal: Producer

New Gigantor : Production Assistant

Reporter Blues : Producer

Shin Kyojin no Hoshi II: Production Progress

Soccer Fever: Producer

Soreike! Anpanman: Yuuki no Hana ga Hiraku toki: Assistant producer

So you can guess whether or not he was the best person to lead this project or not in terms of its animation. His most prominent episodes were:

Episode 2: Infiltrate Area 99

Episode 4: Get the Chaos Emerald

Episode 6: Fierce Battle: School Wars

Episode 14: Chase After the Hero Sonic

Episode 17: Knuckles Clenched Fists of Anger

Episode 22: Summer Vacation

Episode 25: The Last Chaos Emerald

Episode 31: Gamma the Wanderer

Episode 34: Sonic the Fugitive

Episode 35: Escape from Prison Island

Now onto the subject of consistancy. It's a general rule in most hand-drawn animated series today that if you want to save the most amount of money, you should outscource your inbetween animation to other outlets. However, this can become a big problem when there are too many studios working on one show. As such, here's a look at the companies that worked on the inbetween animation vs the key animation.

Inbetweeners-

Anime Sport

Click Ani

Dr. Movie

Front Line

HYOIN Animation

JEM Animation

Mizo Kikaku

Studio Boomerang

Studio Dabu

Studio Koa

Studio NASA

Studio Takuranke

Sunshine Corporation

Tokyo Animation Center

Triple A

Wao World

Key Animation-

Click Ani

K Production

Studio Boomerang

Yea, that's a big difference. It's no wonder why Sonic seems to be different in almost every episode he's in.

Now the question is begged as to how much animation the key animation studios did, and what is their history within animation.

From what I scrounged up, Click Ani has done jack since and before Sonic X, so we can guess how experienced these fellas could have been as a whole.

Now the other two, these guys certainly have some recognizable animation under their belts.

Studio Boomerang -

These boys have worked on very noticeable animation productions, such as, The Detetctive Conan Movies, The Gundam OAVs, Spirited Away, and Fullmetal Alchemist. Don't get too excited though, Studio Boomerang's involvements in those projects were rarely ever Key animation. They usually served their time as inbetween animation, or supporting animation. I think I counted about five times when/where they were/are the Key studio, excluding Sonic X. However, some of their latest Key animation endeavors has been the critically acclaimed anime, Tiger X Bunny, so they must be doing something right. But going back to when they were working on Sonic X, these guys had barely touched Key animation.

K Production-

These guys have some stuff under their belt in terms of Key animation. They served at Key animation for Death Note, Bakugan: New Vestroia, and Tekkaman: Blade II. They mostly served as an inbetween studio for most of their projects.

As for the painting staff who made those grievous coloring errors. The job was divided among five different studios .

Dr. Movie

HYOIN Animation

Mizo Kikaku

Sunshine Corporation

Sunshine Digital

So it's anyone's guess as to who's to blame.

And that's all I've got in terms of technical information for now everyone.

• 1 month later...

Wanna see some perspective fail? Here's some perspective fail. 

Big lost his left arm in the great war.

sonic_x_cap_by_davis_lightheart-d7d18zf.

• Thumbs Up 8

No one else will post this, but Sonic X outright ruined Gamma and Beta's fight. What was an incredible fight (with great music) in the original is this battle against still pieces of cardboard. Look at how many still shots they cheaply use to get a fake impact. (And this is the Japanese version)