Awoo.

Sonic X animation styles

Vertekins

At first, I didn't find anything strange in that picture...Then I saw Charmy...

Yeah, Charmy’s thing is dishin’ out first sting

Jesus Christ CHAnga this is golden.

247.JPG

The SEGA forums wanted to have a go too.

That's... actually so disturbing i can hardly even laugh at it... blink.png

Ah, yes. The animation of Sonic X. Has anyone mentioned the fact that they reused certain frames? Like in Episode 19 where they used the scene of Amy pulling out her hammer which came from Episode 2?

070amy.jpg

The actual scene ^

058amy.jpg

Same scene, different episode. Only they flipped the image and changed the background. Laziness I tellz ya!

• Thumbs Up 6

They do that alot in shows like Pokemon as well, the reusing animation stuff- but I let that show off the hook because it's a long series with no end in sight and they've gotta stretch that budget. Sonic X on the other hand pretty much had a set number of episodes from the beginning so that excuse can't really be used with it.

Edited by Jingle Ferno

Ah, yes. The animation of Sonic X. Has anyone mentioned the fact that they reused certain frames? Like in Episode 19 where they used the scene of Amy pulling out her hammer which came from Episode 2?

070amy.jpg

The actual scene ^

058amy.jpg

Same scene, different episode. Only they flipped the image and changed the background. Laziness I tellz ya!

Well spotted! I never actually noticed scene-reusage in certain episodes before.

I did find a very odd colouring error. Knuckles with green eyes in episode 3;

greeneyeknux1.png

greeneyeknux2.png

Looks incredibly weird.

Green eyes! AHHHHHH! XD

I always found Sonic X to be extremely cheap in the animation department, and the 3D effect when Sonic spin dashes was out of place. Now I'm remembering all those times Sonic saved the day with a single spin attack xD

• Thumbs Up 1

Well spotted! I never actually noticed scene-reusage in certain episodes before.

I did find a very odd colouring error. Knuckles with green eyes in episode 3;

greeneyeknux1.png

greeneyeknux2.png

Looks incredibly weird.

When I look at that...I think that they might have used Sonic as a template. It looks too intentional to be a color error.

Never liked much of the CG to be honest, like, pretty much every shot of the X Tornado for example. It just felt and looked lazy to me.

Edited by Jingle Ferno

Never liked much of the CG to be honest, like, pretty much every shot of the X Tornado for example. It just felt and looked lazy to me.

Too bad the media seem to have a CG fetish nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 5

Too bad the media seem to have a CG fetish nowadays.

Not that it's a bad thing, sometimes movies use it in a very great way (Pixar comes to mind) Sometimes they use it in a very wrong way. (The Smurfs come to mind, I don't care how good the movie is, they look plain ugly.)

You know, in my experience of animation, I find the concept of reusing certain scenes to be rather good if the particular shot is good enough. One particular example comes from Disney. They reused shots all the time to save on budget, but they used them tastefully.

However, in Sonic X's case it reuses the same animation almost five seconds after the first frame, that is the most tasteless form of budget saving right behind everything Hannah-Barbera did.

• Thumbs Up 3

You know, in my experience of animation, I find the concept of reusing certain scenes to be rather good if the particular shot is good enough. One particular example comes from Disney. They reused shots all the time to save on budget, but they used them tastefully.

However, in Sonic X's case it reuses the same animation almost five seconds after the first frame, that is the most tasteless form of budget saving right behind everything Hannah-Barbera did.

Well that's all well and good. However, when you choose to do something like that you gotta be consistent with your animation style. It just looks out of place when everything else is done in a different way and then you stick in two scenes that were not even close to that style. However, I do understand that it's all about time and money when it comes to animation. And sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do

Oh Disney has done that so often and my eyes would boggle whenever I saw it. Movies like, Robin Hood, The Arisocats, and maybe 101 Dalmations. Of course I didn't actually notice this at all until I got older.

But it makes sense. I think this was back when Disney didn't have a lot of money. Eventually one of these movies pulled them out of financial trouble. Don't remember which it was. But oh well.

Edit: I think it was Robin Hood. Despite it being "teh furreh" version. It's got to be the most popular rendition of the Robin Hood legend in the world.

Edited by Dejablue

Well that's all well and good. However, when you choose to do something like that you gotta be consistent with your animation style. It just looks out of place when everything else is done in a different way and then you stick in two scenes that were not even close to that style. However, I do understand that it's all about time and money when it comes to animation. And sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do

It's just a matter of tracing over the original scene with a new artist (or in this case, the same artists for that particular scene). It's not that hard and it can be pretty fun to look at it again when done right like in jungle book. The characters remain the same as their original models, only mimmicking the other ones.

However, Sonic X took a cheaper route and didn't even bother to make the characters look consistent when traced.

Ergo this previously posted pic.

069sonknux.jpg

It's just a matter of tracing over the original scene with a new artist (or in this case, the same artists for that particular scene). It's not that hard and it can be pretty fun to look at it again when done right like in jungle book. The characters remain the same as their original models, only mimmicking the other ones.

However, Sonic X took a cheaper route and didn't even bother to make the characters look consistent when traced.

Ergo this previously posted pic.

069sonknux.jpg

Edited by Mephiles550

Well it IS a anime/cartoon, with very cartoony anthromorphs (way more cartoony looking than the usual anthromorph design that's for sure), so your typical limb strecthing and wacky facial expressions is to be expected.laugh.png

But yeesh..the animators where pretty dag horrid, sloppy, and lazy with animation here.

milesstretching.png

vectorgettingpwned.png

chrismilesscaredfaces.png

Oh wow, we've got some of their top-notch quality animation right here guys

As badly drawn as these moments are, each one you posted lasts a second or two at most, and I thought the animation from first pic was funny (in the context of the scene) when I saw it recently, almost hearkens back to AoSTH stuff.

Also, is it bad that when I watch anime, the comedic moments when the characters randomly break into a more cartoony style like this are my favorite moments? I dunno what it is, but, they just feel more alive and less..."stiff" to me when they do that stuff.

Edited by Jingle Ferno

ok guyz, the previous posts i did, saying thoze pics were quality animation?

...i was wrong. Horribly wrong.

3c341af5-4f5e-409b-9f41-23fef25ab11e.jpg

NOW THIS IS TRUE STATE OF THE ART ANIMATION AM I RIGHT GUYZ

Edited by ModernHentaiQuillScrooge
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ok, stop, stop, stop. This is getting out of hand here. I refuse to believe that the animators, no matter how bad they were, would make such a terrible drawing. That has to be a mock up of all things. Unless I see the episode where that abomination came from, I don't believe it.

Pretty sure it's edited, his mouth looks like it was drawn in a way that it's supposed to be at the side of his face, and his eyes, it's utterly impossible for someone to do that on purpose....unless they were having a reeaaaly off day. I could always be wrong though...

Edited by Jingle Ferno