Awoo.

Discussion of Super Forms(And possibly other alt forms)

Blazey Firekitty

I don't care about how Eggman would appear with a super form, but I really don't want it to happen. Why? It's out of character. What makes Eggman stand out as a character is his reliance on brains rather than brawn and having him battle with sole physical strength would mean taking away his weaknesses and unique qualities. And I feel that would be a bad thing because it would Gary-Stuify him to a certain degree.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperStingray

• Phos

• Blazey Firekitty

• Dr. Mechano

If Eggman gets a super form, congratulations, he's now no different than the monster of the week.

If Eggman gets a super form, congratulations, he's now no different than the monster of the week.
I don't think that's entirely the case; the threat is still Eggman himself. My only problem with it is that the idea isn't true to him.

I agree with those who would rather not see Eggman go Super.

Firstly, I can't help feeling that his form would need to be an inverse/negative form, given that he's a villain. That's not a judge on his character, but rather the fact that I'd prefer the Super form to remain a trait of the hero characters.

Secondly, and more importantly, one thing I like about Eggman is that he's not super-powered and doesn't rely on brawn. It would destroy that distinction if it turned out that he could attain a super form. He's a threat because he's a genius who can build almost any weapon, including advanced A.I. and whole battle fleets. He doesn't need a Super form and I feel it would be a superfluous addition which would only degrade him instead of making him cooler.

You guys forget that the Rule of Cool defeats any and all logical reason for any one particular character to go super.

The day Big gains a super form and (accidentally) saves the day before Sonic can is the day I die happily.

You guys forget that the Rule of Cool defeats any and all logical reason for any one particular character to go super.

The day Big gains a super form and (accidentally) saves the day before Sonic can is the day I die happily.

Rule of Cool only works if the action in question is indeed cool. I'm not saying super forms aren't cool, but first and foremost it has to work properly.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Big the Cat save the day, accidentally or not, but having a super form does not tie well with his characterization.

Rule of Cool only works if the action in question is indeed cool. I'm not saying super forms aren't cool, but first and foremost it has to work properly.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Big the Cat save the day, accidentally or not, but having a super form does not tie well with his characterization.

What characterization, pre tell, does a super form tie well with?

If you ask me I'd say someone about taking action straight on, physical prowess, and not overly powerful to start with.

I'm starting to think that this series can really lighten up by incorporating Japanese-stylized humor and surrealism.

I'm starting to think that this series can really lighten up by incorporating Japanese-stylized humor and surrealism.

This.

Wherein the goofy comedy characters are funny not because they fail, but because they succeed against all odds in a comically spectacular manner. I've always found this method preferable to the former.

^I'd accept it as long as it isn't canon. When you start making such large parodies that completely contradict the continuity into the main series, or worse, make it a recurring parody, your pretty much setting yourself up for tremendous backlash.

Determination unwavering unwavering confidence, and nerves of steel.

^I'd accept it as long as it isn't canon. When you start making such large parodies that completely contradict the continuity into the main series, or worse, make it a recurring parody, your pretty much setting yourself up for tremendous backlash.

A parody is when something makes fun of something else, affectionately or mockingly.

Simply incorporating something humorous into the existing series wouldn't be considered a "parody" at all. It'd just be lighthearted shenanigans.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

I think they did try some of that in Unleashed. Even though it was received as shallow Saturday morning cartoon humor for whatever reason. And I like this new running gag of Sonic hitting the ground face first from the ionosphere.

But I'd certainly like to see some more lighthearted overtones and humor. Maybe even throw a few lampshades in there.

Edited by A Ham Sandwich

I am against seeing anymore Super forms, they get boring quick, and take so much away from the special feeling you first got by achieving it. To be simple: they make Sonic's super form less unique. If everyone and their illegitmate dog-child gets a super form what makes Sonic or the other few that first had them special????

That plus the put minimal effort into design of the super forms...hmm..yellow with red eyes and upturned quills...that wasn't original the second time let alone the third *glares at Silver*

Darkspines was lame, I don't wanna see that again...unless we get a Secret Rings sequel *crosses fingers not*..and the Gold Armor Sonic was still a bit lame...but seeing as those "storybooks" can be viewed as non canon, and maybe just Sonic daydreaming after reading a book or something, those stupid forms can be forgiven.

The only forms I can accept for characters would be if they brought back Knuckles and Tails' super forms (Tails' not so much). Seeing as Knuckles is a guardian I can see him having a super form, but I'd only like to see it if it were his proper super form ie; the fluro pink one with longer dreadlocks, and maybe give him insanely super strength....none of this "golden aura" crap from Heroes.

On the topic of Eggman, I wouldn't mind seeing him have a super form, but I think he's more suited to it being through his mechs, like a powered up version of his ultimate battle armor or bot or something.

If he were to just be "all him" getting a super form, I'd like it to be some kind of tecno-organic thing...like Eggman sprouting mechanical bits out of him, in a grotesque sort of way. I don't see him all musclely or glowing majesticaly...lets face it he the bad guy (or supposed to be) so a darker form would be more fitting.

So in general, no, please no more super forms.

The only forms I can accept for characters would be if they brought back Knuckles and Tails' super forms (Tails' not so much). Seeing as Knuckles is a guardian I can see him having a super form, but I'd only like to see it if it were his proper super form ie; the fluro pink one with longer dreadlocks, and maybe give him insanely super strength....none of this "golden aura" crap from Heroes.
To be honest, I never really cared for Tails having a super form either; it's not his style. And I detest that "golden aura" as well. Not because it looks lame, but because it tries to put Sonic above Tails and Knuckles, just making them look like lackies rather than individual characters with their own traits. Edited by A Ham Sandwich

I wouldn't recommend Eggman being given a superform a la Chaos Emeralds because we're already starting to have such redundancies with characters being able to go Super Sayian 2 in possession of them.

Now if you wanted a more physically badass Eggman, he'd need to go for something else. He could actually work out for one, or he could devote some time into developing some chemical to enhance himself much stronger without taking such time to work out.

Or he could use his genius of robotics and use it to enhance himself rather than ride in vehicles.

We've got several different ways to go with this, the only thing needed is how to write it in...and that can be a cinch or a challenge depending on how it's executed.

As for the cast we have, leave it to Sonic, Blaze, and Shadow for the forms...and I guess Silver, since he already has it. Only thing that would be advisable is to stop making them as strong as a god. They can be super powerful, but still have some form of weakness that balances out. We have the ring meter, or health bar (a la Unleashed), but nowadays I don't think that's enough.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

That plus the put minimal effort into design of the super forms...hmm..yellow with red eyes and upturned quills...that wasn't original the second time let alone the third *glares at Silver*
Hey, don't blame Silver; he's just the latest in a long line of unoriginal super forms. Really, Sonic is the only one that does anything more than change color, and even that's just super sayan hair.

If he were to just be "all him" getting a super form, I'd like it to be some kind of tecno-organic thing...like Eggman sprouting mechanical bits out of him, in a grotesque sort of way.
This could be pretty interesting, actually. Maybe a bit darker than the series should be, but fits a hell of a lot better than "generic DBZ guy" Eggman.

Not because it looks lame, but because it tries to put Sonic above the Tails and Knuckles,
Sonic is above Tails and Knuckles.

Sonic is above Tails and Knuckles.

That's exactly the problem. Sonic may be the star of the series, but when they try too hard to emphasize that it only serves to make the other characters seem dull. A lot of the characters in this series are hard enough to respect at this point, but marginalizing them like this will only make them seem weaker than they are and make Sonic seem stronger than he is. Edited by A Ham Sandwich

I could easily see Eggman going super and using the Chaos Energy to make a giant robot made of pure energy. His physical form wouden't need to change, but put a Chaos-Charged Eggman in a giant Eggman Robo made of pure energy, and you have the most badass final fight ever.

PLEASE SEGA.

Not because it looks lame, but because it tries to put Sonic above the Tails and Knuckles, just making them look like lackies rather than individual characters with their own traits.

I think it just looks lame, and it's another instance of them ignoring something that was established when Sonic really meant something. Either that, or they aren't really super forms.

Hey, don't blame Silver; he's just the latest in a long line of unoriginal super forms. Really, Sonic is the only one that does anything more than change color, and even that's just super sayan hair.

Sonic's quills originally did more than point up, they went wild. Silver looks bizarre in his super form, they apparently didn't consider it when they were designing him. His quills already do stuff when he's normal, and when he's super, the big quills look cantilevered off the back of his head.

A parody is when something makes fun of something else, affectionately or mockingly.

Simply incorporating something humorous into the existing series wouldn't be considered a "parody" at all. It'd just be lighthearted shenanigans.

par⋅o⋅dy

   /ˈpærədi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [par-uh-dee] Show IPA noun, plural -dies, verb, -died, -dy⋅ing.

–noun

1. a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing: his hilarious parody of Hamlet's soliloquy.

2. to imitate (a composition, author, etc.) for purposes of ridicule or satire.

3. to imitate poorly or feebly; travesty.

That's exactly the problem. Sonic may be the star of the series, but when they try too hard to emphasize that it only serves to make the other characters seem dull. A lot of the characters in this series are hard enough to respect at this point, but marginalizing them like this will only make them seem weaker than they are and make Sonic seem stronger than he is.

Making them just like Sonic isn't going to make them less dull. Expand their own abilities rather than leach off of others.

Oh no I don't blame Silver (I actually quite like the guy, his design is cool, and his story and powers too, my qualms come from the fact they cast him as another hedeghog, and his super form. I know its not his fault, but they really need to stop the generic super form thing. I love that Blaze is original, I was half expecting her to go yellow and blah blah blah same stuff as usual, but she didn't and thats what makes her form cool)

This could be pretty interesting, actually. Maybe a bit darker than the series should be, but fits a hell of a lot better than "generic DBZ guy" Eggman.

Yeah, I can't see Eggman as the "shining golden aura force of power", he essential is (or should be/was) the main antagonist, or "badguy"...so its much easier to view his form (if he has one) as an ominous dark thing, and what better direction to go with than robotics: the thing he's known best for!

Not because it looks lame, but because it tries to put Sonic above the Tails and Knuckles,

My main problem with that whole scene (absolutely loved Heroes otherwise though) was that everyone was expecting it to happen, after the generic trend of monster of the week and super sonic always being the final fight, we all thought "Aw! Awesome! A triple-powered Super fight! With Tails and Knuckles!" But then we got let down by them only being tag-alongs. I don't think Sonic really overshadowed them...more Sonic Team failed.

The only additional form I'd like to see is something that emphasizes Knuckles' Master Emerald power. I'd say maybe even kill Shadow's super form for a while, since he doesn't need one to be powerful or interesting. My ideal solution would have Shadow get a bunch of interesting chaos powers based on the number of emeralds he has, but Sonic is the only one who gets all seven in the end in order to achieve super form. That and something with Knuckles. Silver... forget Silver. Blaze makes more sense.

Edited by Badnikz

I'm fine with Super forms being in the games and I'd love for them to go back to what they originally were instead of how they are now. 100% in the game bonuses instead of just end of the main story fanservice.

As for who should get them? Pretty much what other people have said. The characters who make sense to have them.

Sonic is the original one to have a Super form, so of course he should keep his. Burning Blaze is perfectly fine as well, considering it's a transformation using the Sol Emeralds instead of the Chaos Emeralds. Shadow's Super form is fine considering he's Sonic's equal in a lot of ways. As for Silver, well.. I like him as a character, but I don't think it's necessary for him to have one.

Tails? As much as I liked running around as Super Tails in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, I don't really think it fits him as a character. Same with Eggman. I'm all for the two of them using the Chaos Emeralds in their various creations but using the power within their own body to bash someone's head in isn't an idea I'm too keen on. Not unless they were wearing some sort of mechanized suit that was able to utilize their power or something. That'd be kinda cool.

Knuckles' Super form I'm all for returning, but I understand that it isn't necessary so I shouldn't beg for it back. I still think he kind of deserves one considering his friendly rivalry with Sonic (one that's been going on long before Shadow came into the picture) as well as due to his knowledge of both the Chaos Emeralds and Master Emeralds and how they work. It just kinda makes sense for him to have one, you know? Maybe not use it, but at least have one. To me, at least.

In response to what Badnikz said, I think some sort of transformation involving Knuckles and the Master Emerald would be extremely awesome, but I greatly fear the backlash from it so that idea should probably stay just that. An idea. :(

I'm not saying that a form like that should make a regular appearance, but maybe just one game (preferably one that centers around the red guy) where a last ditch effort is needed to save everyone and the Master Emerald is required not just in the conventional way that involves negating the power of the Chaos Emeralds. One where sheer raw power is needed and the Chaos Emeralds aren't enough. The Master Emerald is supposed to be more powerful, you know.

Then there are the Storybook series Super forms. Those (thus far) being Darkspine Sonic and Excalibur Sonic. I like both of them, actually. Primarily because they made way for two of the coolest Super form battles that have ever been in the games. I really wish that the Super form battles in the main series were this good.

I'm tired of all this mindless headbutting people at hypersonic speed crap. Why not have Super Sonic be the badass that was at the end of Sonic Chronicles? Yeah, you were just tapping and sliding the stylus to do all those moves but it was still awesome. Can you imagine what it'd be like to control that sort of Super Sonic outside of a stylus oriented game? I'm making myself excited just thinking about it.

..Well that's all I have to say. Wasn't expecting to type out so much.

Edited by Chooch