Awoo.

Generations 3DS Chat - Oh look guys new rules (p.58)

Jimbo

If they removed that "terrible design choice" then the player could literally let go of the controls during the 2D sections and just wait for rings and for the weak point to open.

I did that several times out of sheer boredom and still got rings anyway - probably because three of Time Eater's four attacks (in the Classic part of the battle) aren't actually aimed at you at all; they just point wherever the routine tells them to, over and over again. I'm glad that there is a logic behind it - that is, that you get more rings for doing well and fewer for doing badly - and I don't have a problem with that logic, either. What I do have a problem with is that it isn't clear. Also that that part of the battle is incredibly boring and drags on too long, considering that Time Eater's huge glowing weak spot is right in front of you the entire time. You're not waiting to be able to hit it. You're waiting for the game to give you a targeting reticule.

Anyway, after working on it for a few weeks, I finally beat all of the missions. Really annoying that the only way of unlocking them that they actually tell you about is Play Coins; I know that there's some kind of supporter point gauge that sometimes unlocks them, but I don't know where it is, and I don't really care about uploading times to online leader boards or anything. I think my original idea for being able to unlock missions by S-ranking their associated act/stage/boss is still better. As to the missions themselves, as suspected, they're just the same challenges shoved into every single level in the game. The inconsistent quality of them is really baffling. Sometimes a mission will ask you to do the whole of the original level under certain conditions, others of the same mission type will build a whole new mini-level. And the time limits in some cases clearly should have been lowered but weren't. The Radical Highway Act 2 Perfection mission sums this up perfectly - a time limit of, what, five minutes, and you can complete it in literally ten seconds. I appreciate the actually new challenges created there, but for a short challenge then the time limit needs to be really low to make it an actual challenge; it should be right down to the wire - and to be fair, a few do do this, but not nearly enough. The "Die-Hard" mission type is pathetic; beat a level without checkpoints, basically. Who cares? And Perfection is a travesty - because the Boost requires rings to power it, they couldn't just take all the rings out of the level and have you fail just for dying, so when you get hit, your reason for failing feels so inauthentic. If they still used the trick system from Rush and Rush Adventure - a neat way of giving you something to actually do whilst bouncing around uncontrollably or rail-grinding - then that wouldn't be a problem. Also, one of the Rush Adventure mission types they dropped could've been good here - medal-hunting. Those really encouraged you to find out about parts of the level that you might not normally encounter.

And all of those missions that exist for obvious padding actually crowd out better missions that could have existed. There are no missions whatsoever for the rival battles, and the final mission, the Time Eater boss, gives you too generous a time limit; I messed up a few times and still had a minute and a half to spare. The special stage missions were pretty much the same; there wasn't really anything going on there that you didn't do in the original stage, and that's probably true of several of the other missions, too. They could've cut a fair few of them and added some more interesting ones, but no. Actually, one of my criticisms of Rush Adventure's missions is that they'd have been better off cutting half of them, but I'll give Generations 3DS this, at least for most of them you're unlocking something better than a single sound effect.

But then again, the Collection Room unlockables are pretty baffling. I don't understand why you can't unlock and listen to the game's own music. And a lot of the selections of music and artwork seem pretty random! I'm glad that we got to see some concept art for Rush and Rush Adventure, since that's actually pretty relevant if you're playing a 3DS Sonic game. But what on Earth was the rationale behind the selection in the Models exhibit? Models of Big and Omega... but not Blaze? She's in the HD version of this game, there's a level from one of her games in the game, but when the Hell did anyone last see or care about Big and Omega? I really don't know what they were thinking there.

All in all, it's a very disappointing first game for Sonic on the 3DS, especially compared to Sonic's DS games. They're really going to have to up their game for the next Sonic 3DS game - and hopefully quit this lame as all Hell downgraded handheld version gimmick they've got going, and give us something original. Because this game seriously shouldn't be impressing anyone. It's uninspired and uninteresting, and really feels like it doesn't know what it's doing or what it's trying to be.

• Thumbs Up 4

Bravo, FFWF!

I don't agree with all your points, but it's been too long since I've seen a great deconstruction that doesn't require swearing or comparing features to fecal matter in order to get the points across. Nay-sayers could learn a lot from you.

• Thumbs Up 4

Bravo, FFWF!

I don't agree with all your points, but it's been too long since I've seen a great deconstruction that doesn't require swearing or comparing features to fecal matter in order to get the points across. Nay-sayers could learn a lot from you.

You say that as if there's actually something to learn. If you have a problem with how people express themselves, that's on you.

Regardless, I quite enjoyed reading your post as well, FFWF. Kudos for writing a great description of your problems with the game, and having the patience to weed through that piece of shit to begin with.

Thanks, guys. I try to write an analysis that actually gets to grips with things and provides examples and reasoning. It sure turns out long-winded, but I'm glad there are people with the patience to read through that (as I've seen far shorter posts dismissed with a quick "tl;dr" in the past).

Played and finished it yesterday, it was quite enjoyable, though awfully short. Radical Highway Modern made me cry.

• Thumbs Up 1

You say that as if there's actually something to learn. If you have a problem with how people express themselves, that's on you.

To those who've had or who are currently having trouble with the Time Eater, I'm just gonna copy-paste what I wrote and got on the SEGA Forum.

Alright. To let you know immediately, until you realize how exactly this boss works, it will be the most toughest, and possibly the most aggravating Super Sonic-exclusive boss you might ever come across. In fact, I think it still is for me.

That's right. Doomsday Zone, Perfect Chaos, FinalHazard, the Moon, True Area 53, Metal Overlord, Nonaggression Gemerl, Devil Doom, Egg Salamander, Solaris, Egg Wizard, Perfect Dark Gaia, Nega Mother Wisp and even Time Eater (HD) have nothing against Time Eater (3DS). While the HD version was annoying because of the constant "THAT'S A HOMING SHOT! CAREFUL SANC!" and the difficult-to-pull-off "Can't Touch This" achievement/trophy, the 3DS version can appear as either well done or unfair.

Now some of you may be asking yourself: "VizardJeffhog, you ruffian, what the devil are you speaking of?" while some of you may already be agreeing with me. Here is exactly everything you need to know prior to fighting this guy.

First off, Rings.

Unlike past Super form-battles, you start off with 100 Rings. You'll soon come to realize that Sonic Team/Dimps have been very generous with you, seeing as Rings don't appear very often during this fight, not to mention that you will be held off by constant onslaughts of the roboticized chronophage.

The first two hits should be done without too big a problem. However, from the 3rd hit onward to the 7th, be sure that you will have enough hair on your head to pull off.

Every time you land a hit in the 2D sections, a massive amount of rings will appear! Technically, if you don't touch anything, you should be able to draw a massive portion in.

As for 3D, there will be rings grouped in a circular pattern. However, it will get tougher keeping attention on these throughout the battle. More on that later.

Secondly, in the 2D parts of the battle, every time you get hit by any of the Time Eater's attacks, that same attack will be repeated. So, if you've been hit by the Homing Shots, the Time Eater will send more of them. If you've been struck by the thin green lasers that start to come by after the 2nd hit, the attack will be prolonged. If you've been hit by a giant energy beam, the Time Eater will do it again. You don't get hurt, but it keeps away any possibly Ring you might be getting. What you will need to do is dodge attack after attack and pray that Rings will show on the screen and that you're directly in their path, but their appearances are extremely rare and distant (time-wise) in between.

All I can tell you here is to dodge, dodge, freaking dodge. For the Homing Shots, approach the Time Eater onto either the top or bottom corner and fly around to maneuver in between the attacks or just around the screen and avoid their direction. As for the green lasers, stay on either the top or bottom right corner (against the Time Eater again) and move if the orbs that will shoot said lasers appear right where you are. Finally, the giant laser/energy beam: follow the same instructions as shown with the small green ones. Take note that more and more green laser orbs will appear as the fight drags on, going from one to about three, now making it harder to dodge.

Finally, when in 3D, there is one thing you must worry about, and this is maybe the most frustrating element in this fight. The arms. They don't appear the first time you go into 3D, but the second time onward, the Time Eater's arms will keep shoving you further and further away from your target: boosting is futile. You will have to stop and move around using the B button to keep away. The arms bash against you pretty freaking quickly, and if you're already too agitated, either calm down or put the game down and take a break. Gather your wits, keep calm, keep your reflexes sharp, then go ahead and keep dodging the arms. Keep in mind that their movements might be incredibly unpredictable at times.

Again, the fight drags on, more rings are lost, and you might already be past the point of no return where the only remaining option is to wait for your dwindling rings to hit zero and/or restart.

The Time Eater also possesses another attack in 3D in the later part of the battle which involves the creation of a clock. Basically, avoid the big and small hands of the clocks he sends to you and get to him.

As for the final phase, it should not be too difficult. Just dodge the green lasers and aim for the Time Eater!

Time Eater 3DS was really easy once you saw the pattern, although don't expect an S rank straight away, or even on your first, second, third, or indeed even fourth replays.

Another pro-tip, when dodging the clock hands, Super Sonic moves as if tethered to the center of the screen. When you stop pushing the control stick he'll snap back to the center, just as the control stick does in real life. Basically, move the control stick to where you want Sonic to be within the circle of the clocks.

It's still tough to dodge them, requiring just a little luck, but it helps to understand how Sonic moves here.

• Thumbs Up 1

I seriously found Time Eater on 3DS easy as hell, just long. I love the game but there's just no replay value for it...

The 3ds version, in my opinion, was amazing. Not as good ad the 360, but amazing. At LEAST 7.5/10

Does anyone have the faintest idea how to get to that alternate spiral path in the background that skips out the platforming section I'm on? I've spent ages looking for it, but can't for the life of me find a way onto it from earlier on in the stage. =|

I've done that many times, and didn't. ;___;

Not my video, but I was watching a few 3DS vids to convince myself I wasn't missing anything.

This will show you how to get to the spiral. Some nice concepts in the level, but so much open automation and literal highway in the sky. Ugh. The speedhighway remake was so much better executed in comparison. I just can't get over those random rails in the sky that are just there as a lazy way to do alternate paths. Such. Horrible. Design.

Edited by Tiller

Good bloody Lord that level could not be any worse. And Tiller, I don't think they video shows how to get to the area Mark was talking about. The section he was pointing out is at 2:40 in your vid.

Welp my bad. There are two spirals. Another bad mark of game design... your set pieces are near indistinguishable. :L

Edited my post. Found a video that did get to it. Though holy shit at the level skipping.

Edited by Tiller

• 9 months later...

Neat, knew there was a thread for the 3ds version somewhere around here.

Hey guys, our buddy Melponto got a 3DS capture board and is now doing runs of levels from the 3DS version in 720p!

check it out:

More on his channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Melpontro

Mel' if your looking at this, get a video of the gallery mode in the 3DS version! love to see some of those concept arts in HQ for a change.

• 1 month later...

Just a bit of a bump here! I'd like to share my thoughts on this, after a year of owning it.

A while back I used to vastly prefer this version to the console version. Why? Mostly because the console version got boring after a while, and once I was done with the story I felt no reason to be compelled to bother with the game anymore. So the 3DS version had me hooked due to being portable.

But now after playing it fairly recently...I changed my mind. This version is absolutley horrible. Any level after the Classic stages are nothing but death traps.

I tried speedrunning Radical Highway Modern, and it's virtually impossible to stay on the higher path without falling down and being stuck with those barrel things, which hover over pits. The Classic version suffers from the same problem.

Classic Emerald cost, I literally cannot get an S rank on this one no matter how hard I try. Those stupid wind patches slow me down, preventing me from getting that rank.

Modern Water Palace is okay, but the Classic version pretty much forces you to go underwater.

Now there's Tropical Resort....could have been fun if there weren't so many enemies and hazards in your path. Especially that flame that circles around a statue.

The bosses.

Big Arm is okay. But I wanted it to be longer ;A; The stage area is a little small and I still don't know what to do when it's doing that block thing with it's arms. A lot better than the Death Egg Robot.

I can't remember Biolizard too much, I'll have to replay it more to give a better review.

Egg Emperor....I actually enjoyed this one, it's a nice chase boss and it's great to actually have more freedom after the last two bosses being confined to small areas.

The races.

I didn't enjoy them too much. It's hard to win actually and as it is I can barely beat Metal Sonic. And I still don't see how Silver is so fast in this...Shadow has too many blockages and walls in the way for it to be entertaining.

The special stages are fantastic...I really enjoyed these a lot, and I even made it my own personal goal to S Rank these and achieved it. Now I replay them to constantly beat my highscore/get a faster time. I've memorized all 7 levels pretty well.

Now here's just a few little things that annoy me:

-Classic Sonic's homing attack cant be used on crates like Modern's. Why? That was a stupid decision.

-I found it weird when Classic Sonic learns the HA and the boost via story...would have been interesting if Classic got a boost upgrade, but that would make him play too much like Modern.

-Classic's Homing Attack is forced, not optional. I don't mind it personally, but if someone's playing this to relive the Genesis days they're going to be disappointed.

It's a decent game, but overall I'd probably avoid it. I would have traded it in by now if I didn't enjoy the missions and special stages so much, plus I still want to try and S rank every stage/boss/level.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who loved Colours DS so Dimps really screwed up with this one. They've fallen so far from grace...what happened? I loved the Advance series but after that everything was hit and miss.

-I found it weird when Classic Sonic learns the HA and the boost via story...would have been interesting if Classic got a boost upgrade, but that would make him play too much like Modern.

Sorry but Classic only learns the HA. Modern learns Stomp, that's about it.

He learns boost at the very end of the game but it's only a story event and doesn't learn it via gameplay. That's what I meant. ^^; It's like how he tried to homing attack in the console version, only this time he succeeds.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's random. There's no way to unlock missions without spending play coins. You might unlock some after playing a level 10 times, or playing everyday for a certain time though, that's what I got.

I thought you could get some for free by Streetpassing with someone who also owned the game and had that mission