Awoo.

Sonic generations open world gameplay

KHCast

With what we've seen from sky sanctuary and seaside hill for modern sonic it seems like a giant step in the right direction for sonic. It seems like we've been shown what sonic team can do with their modern sonic gameplay. Exploration,speed and platforming all in one level. Boost hallways seem to be limited. How much do you think has changed from unleashed and colors. Do you think The gameplay needs a lot of tweaking still. Im personally fine with the way it's going right now.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• Eternal EX

• Voyant

• KHCast

A lot has changed and I think it's the right way to go. I am 98% percent happy (just need to fix homing-attack-to-move-on syndrome) with the way the level design is (in terms of Seaside Hill and Sky Sanctuary. Green Hill, while very fun, is a little to linear for my tastes, and City escape is great, just not as great as SS or SSH) and the only changes I want made are to the gameplay.

I want the boost not being usable if you are not already running at full normal top running speed, for the boost to be filled like it was in Colors, and for sliding to be replaced with rolling/spindash, so we can have an alternate way of gaining speed when we want to conserve boost. Other then that, awesome!

EDIT: Oh, and maybe give the boost some acceleration. That would be good as well.

Edited by Chaos Warp

I can't really judge until I play through it, but from what I've seen and heard it sounds like Sega is really stepping it up a notch in terms of quality and fun gameplay. The only thing I'd like to see more of are arena boss battles rather than all straight-path bosses for Modern Sonic (though Colors made them a bit different thankfully). Other than that it looks like things are coming along great!

A lot has changed and I think it's the right way to go. I am 98% percent happy (just need to fix homing-attack-to-move-on syndrome) with the way the level design is (in terms of Seaside Hill and Sky Sanctuary. Green Hill, while very fun, is a little to linear for my tastes, and City escape is great, just not as great as SS or SSH) and the only changes I want made are to the gameplay.

I want the boost not being usable if you are not already running at full normal top running speed, for the boost to be filled like it was in Colors, and for sliding to be replaced with rolling/spindash, so we can have an alternate way of gaining speed when we want to conserve boost. Other then that, awesome!

This is the perfect answer for me. It contains everything I also want st to do to make the gameplay better. But as of now it feels like a great blend of the adventure games design and modern gameplay. Hopefully spagonia,crisis city and PW and speed highway offer as much quality as SSH and SSZ.

I can't really judge until I play through it, but from what I've seen and heard it sounds like Sega is really stepping it up a notch in terms of quality and fun gameplay. The only thing I'd like to see more of are arena boss battles rather than all straight-path bosses for Modern Sonic (though Colors made them a bit different thankfully). Other than that it looks like things are coming along great!

Yeah i would also was hoping for some arena bosses. But with the modern gameplay i could understand the difficulty doing that. Although these bosses look fun.

The level design is definitely improved, but it still needs work, and I have very little faith in the core mechanics of modern Sonic gameplay.

Well, i think that is the near-to-perfect sonic gameplay, it just need moar spindash, and, i was thinking, isn't Adventure more linear than Sky Santuary for example? it's the 3rd stage and its have so many paths!. I love both adventure but i think this is better for Sonic, oh and the other day i was playing Colors, then, for some reason i wanted to play SA2, and at the start i stating to press the B (in the GC controller) to boost :P its was very funny and i think now prefer the boost over the spindash

• Thumbs Up 1

The level design is definitely improved, but it still needs work, and I have very little faith in the core mechanics of modern Sonic gameplay.

From the way modern sonic looks in SSH and SSZ he seems to control fine. Gameplay looks fine to me. It controls definitely better than Unleashed and colors from what I've heard.

Hopefully spagonia,crisis city and PW and speed highway offer as much quality as SSH and SSZ.

I'd be satisfied if they all had different blends of open-platforming and Unleashed design. For example, Green Hill would be the extreme linear end of the spectrum, and Seaside Hill/Sky Sanctuary the other extreme.

I haven't seen the footage, but I've got a pretty good idea of what it's like based on the descriptions I've heard. It definitely sounds fun, but I still think there's some changes that should be made to the Modern formula overall. I'm not nearly as doubtful of the Modern style as Diogenes, but I'll agree that it needs some improvements.

As I've said before, the BOOST needs to start being an actual boost and stop being instant acceleration. I want the boost to be capped so that you can't use it unless you're already going a certain speed. It doesn't have to be capped at a high speed, but it would bring back that concept of speed as a reward and momentum based gameplay. Right now there's no reason why you should be able to go from a standstill to running through a loop just by pressing square.

Edited by SpookyMulder
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven't seen the footage, but I've got a pretty good idea of what it's like based on the descriptions I've heard. It definitely sounds fun, but I still think there's some changes that should be made to the Modern formula overall. I'm not nearly as doubtful of the Modern style as Diogenes, but I'll agree that it needs some improvements.

As I've said before, the BOOST needs to start being an actual boost and stop being instant acceleration. I want the boost to be capped so that you can't use it unless you're already going a certain speed. It doesn't have to be a high speed, but it would bring back that concept of speed as a reward and momentum based gameplay.

Sort of like Sonic Advance 2?

From the way modern sonic looks in SSH and SSZ he seems to control fine. Gameplay looks fine to me. It controls definitely better than Unleashed and colors from what I've heard.

Well the controls/gameplay of Modern seems to be a mesh of both Unleashed and Colors so im sure it will be better then both of course.

Well the controls/gameplay of Modern seems to be a mesh of both Unleashed and Colors so im sure it will be better then both of course.

It seems to have some SA in there as well but not as noticeable.

Not at top speed. He still moves kinda stiff like Colors and Unleashed. But it is better than colors for sure. Hated how that controlled in 3D.

Yeah, I mean when it comes to the platforming in this game. Like in Seaside hill. I get a huge Sa gameplay vibe there. Of course because it's the dreamcast era but it still feels very Sa driven. But yeah at top speeds it's definitely gone.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I mean when it comes to the platforming in this game.

But yeah at top speeds it's definitely gone.

Edited by Razor Wind
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think that's what Dio meant when he expressed distaste on the core mechanics of Modern gameplay.

Modern gameplay can be the slickest it's ever been and ever will be, but that gameplay is still defined by using boosts and a trick system to fill a boost gauge up. Because of this, the stage has to be catered to the boost and trick facets of the gameplay a majority of the time, which means an excessive amount of long paths to encourage the use of the boost. Boost - the way boost is used now, at least - can't be used in tight spaces, contained platforming segments, and round open-worldish areas to its full capacity, so if any of them are being used, they're not going be there for long. And if you try to nerf the boost in an effort to circumvent that and bring in more of those types of stage designs, then you're chipping away the defining feature of Modern Sonic gameplay, effectively implying that it's an ineffective gameplay style.

Speed-based open world platforming for a majority of the levels, or long strips of land to promote the use of a boost feature. You can't really have it both ways.

Why does the boost have to be the defining feature for it to be Unleashed style? It has other features you know, like the drift, stomp, and quick-step. If used effectively, I don't see why these moves can't be used in a more open-type level.

Edited by Chaos Warp

Why does the boost have to be the defining feature for it to be Unleashed style? It has other features you know, like the drift, stomp, and quick-step. If used effectively, I don't see why these moves can't be used in a more open-type level.
All of those moves are small beans compared to the boost. It dominates the gameplay, and it doesn't really have much use in places it can't dominate.

All of those moves are small beans compared to the boost. It dominates the gameplay, and it doesn't really have much use in places it can't dominate.

Why does having the boost have to mean Unleashed-style level design? If they nerfed the boost and made it less prevalent, we could have SSH/SS level design for all the levels.

Speed-based open world platforming for a majority of the levels, or long strips of land to promote the use of a boost feature. You can't really have it both ways.

That's not what Sky Sanctuary said.

Why does having the boost have to mean Unleashed-style level design? If they nerfed the boost and made it less prevalent, we could have SSH/SS level design for all the levels.

If you nerf the BOOOOSH, you'll basically be playing Colors. Did you not notice how much BOOOSH was nerfed in that game? You went from blinding speeds in Unleashed to just above SA1 speeds in colors. Don't blame it on the console because then I could go back a gen and slap you with F zero.

Edited by Eternal X

And then what's the point of having the boost?
  • Thumbs Up 1

Its getting funny how people are trotting out SSZ and SSH as the holy grail of 3D level design (and id be inclined to agree), but none seem to give actual examples.

And then what's the point of having the boost?

A method for speedrunners to test their skills in a heavy platforming game?

• Thumbs Up 3