Awoo.

An official apology for being a total and clueless bastard

Velotix von Skruviktorrius

Does that mean you have topics about without us knowing. Makes me paranoid *puts tin-foil hat on*.blink.png

I am sure that you members have established a well-hidden Member Only Zone with record topics on every member of staff. *Shivers*

• Thumbs Up 3

I am sure that you members have established a well-hidden Member Only Zone with record topics on every member of staff. *Shivers*

We have one, but only banned members can access it.

scary.

Edited by Colasaurus Rex
  • Thumbs Up 3

New rule, everybody gives the mods a hug everyday forever.

I'll start with Sean. :D

(for serious though, I do love you guys)

Edited by Indigo Generations

New rule, everybody gives the mods a hug everyday forever.

I'll start with Sean. :D

(for serious though, I do love you guys)

I would mind 'hugging' Pelly all the time!tongue.png

quagmirePunch.gif

Giggty!biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 3

I like how this was a serious topic, and then Remy and Diz derailed it into luls too... xP

(Relating to the OP, I think it was really nice of you to apologize in that way. =3 I think that takes guts and I appreciate that, even if I'm not a mod/staff/whatever. Also, I never saw Wolfy as enigmatic. xD)

*holy hella long post about modding*

The "How Well Do You Know Your Mods" activity we did a while back certainly showed that while some of you may be familiar with our individual moderation habits and styles and our viewpoints on certain topics discussed on the forum, there really is a LOT you don't know about us!

Heck, there's still some people on this forum who express surprise over my gender tongue.png You'd think pretty much everyone would have the lowdown on that by now.

I've been putting off with doing a response myself for a number of reasons, particularly because what I was originally intending to say has already been covered nicely by Pelly, and also cause the only thing I'd consider saying to you isn't something I'd want to talk about while assuming the guise of a staff member, let alone in a public topic like this. It's an awkward situation most of us got placed here with and I'm glad most of it got cleared up here so we can hopefully go on and be completely okay with each other.

Either way we might be locking this topic soon cause it seems like most of what we can possibly say has been said and we don't really want it to derail into spam/joke fest.

If I'm allowed to quote a certain favorite movie of mine though, I'm just going to say that; you're not an asshole, Velo. You're just trying hard to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

The "How Well Do You Know Your Mods" activity we did a while back certainly showed that while some of you may be familiar with our individual moderation habits and styles and our viewpoints on certain topics discussed on the forum, there really is a LOT you don't know about us!

Heck, there's still some people on this forum who express surprise over my gender tongue.png You'd think pretty much everyone would have the lowdown on that by now.

YOU MEAN YOU AREN'T A GUY?!

MY LIFE IS A LIE

• Thumbs Up 1

Before this gets locked then and thanks folks for the responses; I literally didn't know what I was going to read when I logged in if I even still could today: now I've been able to sleep on it and do some iRL work - busy year ahead of me - there's one last thing I have to add.

What I, and everyone else here, needs to learn to appreciate is that as members, if we're getting genuinely irritated by something that's happened on the Internet, it's time to take a break. We can just turn around, walk out and take a breather for however long we need to. The mods can't really afford to do the same thing without quitting completely, however. They might get a day's breather at the most, but so long as they keep up the moderation mantle, they're stuck here whether they're in the right frame of mind for moderating at the time or not.

Just be aware of that when thinking about being a passive-aggressive (or aggressive-aggressive) dick on the Internet, regardless of the reasons why. It's very easy to lose sight of that, but it's invaluable to always keep it in mind. Look at what happens when you don't. And of course, don't use the report button lightly. :)

In my case, given what's happened, I think I'll be leaving that button alone on my own part from now on.

Keep in mind we are people, and even if you don't realize it your attitude can come into play and affect us as a team....and the fact that we're working for free and have to deal with hours of work, criticism, drama, bullshit, and anything you can think of and then on top of it deal with stuff like the above can be really /really fucking/ sucky. I'll make a note of a personal moment. I remember one time when the forum was going through one of its rowdy spells (much like now) and I was spending hours and hours on the boards trying to mod things, oftentimes feeling completely overwhelmed. At the same time I (and the rest of the staff) were dealing with countless things members couldn't see, from reports that basically very rudely commanded us to do certain things or criticized other stuff, to pm's we were sent from people we punished or didn't which could be very biting and rude (I've been sent PM's rude enough to make me cry and want to quit modding, and other staff have dealt with the same....and usually the people who send them don't get punished because we try to suck it up), many members of the staff team were either so frustrated they didn't want to deal or were considering leaving the team altogether, and we were also dealing with a lot of personal drama between the members behind the scenes....and let me tell you that is the absolute worst stuff to deal with.

• Thumbs Up 1

As staff we have access to all your posts, pre-edited posts (only if we saw them unfortunately hint hint IB), deleted posts/topics, reports, PM's you've sent any staff member (because if they're regarding mod action we do share them), PM's that you've sent that have been reported, history of members (both personal and their staff logs/strikes), and more.

What the hell is this witchcraft and why doesn't the board I mod appear to have such a feature?

No no no I meant before we edit them or times we save them in the staff forum

God I wish we had like a way to see all edits (and know how truly bad at spelling you are >:3)

No no no I meant before we edit them or times we save them in the staff forum

God I wish we had like a way to see all edits (and know how truly bad at spelling you are >:3)

Oh I see. That's actually not a bad idea.

It doesn't help that you set your gender to 'Not Telling.'

Just saying tongue.png

On SSMB, Not Telling = Girl. :v

What the hell is this witchcraft and why doesn't the board I mod appear to have such a feature?

On another forum I frequent, the mods claimed to be able to do so, though it's a vbulletin forum. (every forum on the internet seems to be a vbulletin board these days...Another reason why I like this one.)

Edited by Inferno

Aw Wolfy, you're a bro. You know the staff door's always open for you if you ever decide to come back.

(oh and he's right about the overreacting part, I guess I should put a halt to those plans about cowboy-riding nukes on a beeline to some of your guys' houses Strangelove style, ohohoho)

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks for the kind words, Velotix. I've never seen any sign of you being a problem for the mods around the forum, though from what I've read here it was going on in pm's, so I obviously wouldn't have seen it. Glad to see you're resolving things now smile.png

By the way, it boggles me, why would you even say crap in reports anyways? Or anything in the report besides the report itself for that matter.

Seriously, when I make reports (which is admittedly very rarely <.<) all I put in it is a very brief statement of what the report is. It's usually not even a full sentence; if it's spam, for example, I just put the word "spam" because I don't really see why the mods would need anymore information than that.

Well, this has certainly been something to witness. Having been aware of what has been happening... I can only say that, Velo, it's good of you to pick up yourself and want to work harder at understanding what the mods and admins go through. It can seem like an easy gig to anyone from the outside looking in. But as Pelly said, there's a lot of commitments to the role of mod/admin.

Each member of the team we have here is an absolute superstar, and even though my workload at the moment doesn't give me a lot of time to have a hands-on involvement, I love each and every one of them to bits. There's a reason I tend not to cycle through too many moderators (although a lot of the decision I always leave to the mod team as they are on the front lines) - to be a moderator on SSMB you have to be an absolute pro, and although there are always people that can be considered good enough for such a role, it really is a huge ask.

I think this topic has been handled respectfully on all sides, and that's a great thing. Shows how far the SSMB has come as a community. And that there are still people who want to be a big part of this forum, years after they first joined, really shows something in you as a member too. So thanks for taking that first step. Naturally, we don't want to have our arses kissed - that's not why any of us do what we do. But a fair bit of respect for your fellow member is what we try to instill in everyone, and it's good that you've acknowledged that.

I'm going to lock this topic now, but let's just say I've had fun reading this topic, despite the circumstances in which it was actually created. Shows that there is some hope for humanity left after all. :)

• Thumbs Up 9