Awoo.

[ARTWORK] The Seven Chaos

Nepenthe

How silly of me. I forgot to put the topic title. X.x

What-ho! Another one of these? Yes, because it's an idea I've had floating in my head for years and am just now getting around to having the guts to post it.

Basically, this particular project allows SSMB artists to collaborate and create a Sonic-themed poker card deck. The face of each card will be decorated with custom art of characters originating from the video game universe. The list of characters is equally distributed but nonetheless exhaustive: 27 pre-1998 and 27 post-1998 characters, alternate forms, robots, bosses, and narrative characters- major and minor- have been selected so hopefully everyone has a favorite character represented that probably wouldn't have been otherwise. Even the Small Animals have been remembered.

The God-tier goal, if people are willing to help out even further and the higher-ups are cool with it, would be to actually get this baby printed up and distributed online and at conventions for free so you could actually play with the cards and express your nerdiness that much more. But let's leave the legalities and financial issues out of it for now and focus on at least creating a unique portfolio piece.

MODE OF OPERATIONS:

Guidelines:

• Characters must adhere to their most recent canon physical attributes as determined by SEGA-originating artwork. So Sonic's eyes have to be green unfortunately, but Fang's will stay black and pure. Characters must also be in full view- No cropping. Otherwise, you're free to render these characters in any traditional or digital medium (sans spriting and editing) and non-suggestive pose you wish. If you request any references, me and my partner Kamicciolo will be more than happy provide them for you.
    • If you don't want to risk any problematic cropping when the images are scaled down, note that the dimensions of a standard playing card are 2.5 x 3.5 in. (6.35 x 9 cm) or 180 x 252 pixels. Suits, numbers, and the back of the cards will be of a standard design unless willing members volunteer to customize those aspects too.
      • Face cards, aces, and jokers must possess an embellishment. I've not decided between things like a simple background, English royal clothing, heraldry stylings, or other ideas. As these cards will be left for last anyway, I'll let you guys figure that one out as well.

Production:
        • Artists are free to choose any character not assigned to a face card until the end, and subsequently assign their chosen character to any suit and number that they see fit. You're allowed to only choose one of each at a time, and characters and spaces are first come first serve. If this method of assigning becomes problematic, the stipulations will be subject to change as seen fit.
          • Sketches of characters must be critiqued and approved by me or Kami before your final coloring can begin; color must also be approved. If your image isn't approved, we'll provide proper critique as well as optional red-lining assistance (drawing corrections on the actual piece) if you choose. While there's no timetable set for images to be completed upon assignment, two weeks at maximum for both stages would be preferable. Note that this may change depending upon the overall work ethic of the group as well as outside interest. Both sketches and finished drawings can be either uploaded directly to the forum or linked to from an image hosting site.

• For those who want to participate but aren't that artistically inclined, you're free to collaborate with another person on a single picture. Both participants however must confirm which character they would like to take; no speaking for the other potential partner.

[*]For now, artists can do up to three cards, collaborations included, so you can either do a fly-by submission or have more of your work displayed if you so choose. Furthermore, exceptions for emergencies and time management can be made, and if you need to leave the project abruptly for any reason at any time, see below.

Joining and Leaving:

[*]This project will best thrive with a variety of art styles and talent levels. Ergo, if you think that another artist would benefit this project, shoot me or Kami a name and a link to an online gallery and we'll be happy to check it out.

[*]If you're aware of an upcoming absence that'll interfere with your current drawing, let us know as soon as possible so we can discuss how your current work will be managed. We're completely understanding of emergencies as well, but in the event of one, send one of us a PM and your character will be saved. However, an unannounced leave for any reason may dictate that your character be reassigned as seen fit.

[*]You may be kicked off the project permanently for frequent absences, bad time management, behavioral shenanigans, or a combination of all three that bring significant disruption. But I trust you guys to be responsible and keep your composure. xP

Advertising:

Not a requirement, but a happy suggestion: A link to this project in your sigs would be most appreciated. :3

Card Assignment

SPADES

K: Shadow

Q: Blaze

J: Metal Sonic

10: Black Doom

A

HEARTS

K: Sonic

Q: Amy

J: Charmy

10: Bark

7: Omochao

A

CLUBS

K: Tails

Q: Cream & Cheese

J: Espio

9: Werehog

A:

DIAMONDS

K: Knuckles

Q: Rouge

J: Vector

10: Jet

A: Silver

HIGH JOKER: Super Sonic

LOWER JOKER: Eggman

Unclaimed Classic Characters

Small Animals

Motobug

Crabmeat

Buzz Bomber

Chomper

Mighty

Ray

Silver Sonic

Fang

Wendy Witchcart

Speedy

Great Battle Kuku

Bean

Bark- Edward_Elric

Flickies

Tails Doll

Metal Knuckles

Unclaimed Modern Characters

Big

Gamma

Tikal

Chaos

Maria

Omochao- redhellc

Omega

Egg Pawns

Eggman Nega

Black Doom - D-Metal X

Jet - ProfessorZolo

Wave

Storm

Silver - Hipster YoshiUnity

Mephiles

Shahra

Marine

Merlina

Werehog- Nepenthe

Professor Pickle

Chip

Wisps

Orbot & Cubot

Questions, comments, concerns, excitement?

ps: I haven't forgotten about my submission for the Daz collab; just been busy with college. I'll get that done this weekend ASAP! ;3

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 2

No Gemerl, SU? For shame. D:

Can I draw Black Doom as 10 of Spades?

Look mang. Sonic's got a lot of shitty friends. D8

And you know you can. =P

Look mang. Sonic's got a lot of shitty friends. D8

And you know you can. =P

Shitty? Ouch, he's one of my favorite characters. ;;

Also, does the sketch have to be in pencil, or can we give you inked line-art? O:

Interesting's a good thing, right? xP

And sure thing.

Well, put it this way- I don't think this is a thing that's been tried before. So yeah, I'd say that's a good thing! ;)

Thanks a lot! Is there a deadline for this? I don't recall seeing one mentioned.

Shitty? Ouch, he's one of my favorite characters. ;;

Also, does the sketch have to be in pencil, or can we give you inked line-art? O:

Be careful sayin' that round these parts. =P

Anyway, the sketch counts as the line art you're working with, so it can be either pencil or digital. So long as the character is there and relatively cleaned up, it counts as a sketch.

Well, put it this way- I don't think this is a thing that's been tried before. So yeah, I'd say that's a good thing! wink.png

Thanks a lot! Is there a deadline for this? I don't recall seeing one mentioned.

Well-p, that makes me feel right good. x3

And I didn't set a deadline at all for the entire project. This is going to be a fairly flexible thing, and there's hurdles in getting it printed and distributed that I can't really foresee due to my inexperience- namely getting Sega's permission to actually print it and the money to pay a company to do so. Pro decks are expensive as hell. D=

However, you have a month for each piece starting out. Holidays are coming up, which means people will be traveling, shopping, and spending time with their families, so you have plenty of time for each separate entry you do.

Edited by Nepenthe

Sounds...interesting.

I'm tempted to take Marine (because seriously, who else will), but I'm way out of practice and kind of flaky, so I'm not going to make an official reservation request until I know I can contribute something worthwhile.

Coolies. Both of you are down.

Also, redhellc, do you want to specify which card you want Omochao on? =P

Hmm... That flexible deadline sounds appetizing. (Considering that I'm working on a art/story project, atm.) And this idea really intrigues me. Its something a little different, and I like different! Almost as much as I like the color red - and pointy things! Yay, diamonds!

Now what character should I choose...? As much as I would love to choose Shahra, Merlina or Omega... I think it will be a little more wiser for me to pick Silver. (Meh. Bonus points for being one of my favorite characters.)

So Silver/Ace of Diamonds for me!

Edited by Hipster YoshiUnity

• 7 months later...

Alrighty then, this can't be too difficult... Flexible deadline sounds good for me... So I'll take... Big the Cat as the Ace of Spades please.

• 1 month later...

Has there actually been any progress with this ambitious project yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, sounds interesting. I'd like to take the Wisps but before I confirm that, I have a question. All of the wisps will be in one card?