Awoo.

The Sonic Stadium's 11th Birthday!

Dreadknux

Best part of the rap

Me: Wait was it written or recorded

Chris: Written

Chris: If it had been recorded I would have /removed/ strikes

As always, happy birthday TSS, and congrats to the Dreadknux and the team for another successful year! I won't ramble on about my whole history with the place, but I've been a proud member since the early 2000's, and still check out the news every day, even if this is my only visit to the forums for the year.

I only joined on October 1st this year,

But I have been Stalking viewing TSS and SSMB for about 4 Months,

For that reason I've got nothing to say sad.png

Best part of the rap

Me: Wait was it written or recorded

Chris: Written

Chris: If it had been recorded I would have /removed/ strikes

I'd completely forgotten about that (and the rap) entirely. Ah, fun.

As always, happy birthday TSS, and congrats to the Dreadknux and the team for another successful year! I won't ramble on about my whole history with the place, but I've been a proud member since the early 2000's, and still check out the news every day, even if this is my only visit to the forums for the year.

Nice location, Xnic. Catch you on George Street. ;P

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not a poster anymore, it's safe to say that much. I sometimes come in and have a look, even attempted to return to the board a few times but I don't know, I just can't get a firm grasp over it any longer. And I don't mean that in the sense that I'm not fond of this place or the people here anymore, that's absolutely not the case. I'm still a Sonic fan as well. I just lack the drive to actually post. Maybe I should make a new years resolution concerning this, or something.

But I still have a great, big love towards this place despite my infrequent visits here these days, like a person who rarely has the time to properly visit his parents but still loves his old home. Because that's what SSMB was for me for a very, very long time - a home in the internet. The rebirth of my love for Sonic coincided with my first steps towards the wacky world of internet and I soon found myself registering to a fair few Sonic forums to frolic with my fellow fans. A day felt incomplete without a SSMB visit. A lot of people I hold dear today I met here. I could listen to SSR for ages while browsing all the forums refreshing them time and time again. In these past few days I've read a few topics here and there and made a couple of my own after noticing people were having some sort of celebration; despite the fact that I hardly know anyone anymore and feel somewhat outside to the current social circles among the forum, I still felt like this was a home.

Memories? I remember a lot of things. I remember browsing every page and corner of the old TSS site, watching videos and downloading songs over and over again back before we had such things as YouTube or concept of mp3 hosting being dodgy. I remember the first promise of Sonic Smash Cards. I remember the first big ass post I saw from Roarey who would later on become a rather important person in my life. I remember becoming a mod and feeling really proud of myself and my post; I remember my reputation as the mod who'd resolve things before the report things even hit my inbox. I remember omega13a. I remember a certain someone infamously breaking the server temporarily. I remember the rings system. I remember how you could buy a midi to play in your profile with the rings, and how at the time we actually thought of that as a good idea. I remember the Shadow People topic and the immense pwnage LSnK unleashed upon it with my help. I remember Jake's sarcastic period and his snow leopard character, back before he was the friendly and cuddly little guy we know today. I remember a lot of people's past characters, traits and names. I remember the fluff board. I remember the never-ending arguments whether the fluff board was a blight or a fountain of joy, and the resulting countless attempts to stop people nesting there and not posting anywhere else. I remember the sprite teams; I remember TAEM FROLLIC, the greatest sprite team ever composed. I remember the Battle Card Craze; I still actually have the majority of the ones that I-think-it-was-Jake made at the time when it was still new and trendy. I remember Joshu's iconic top-hat-and-moustache avatar. I remember the topic where someone genuinely speculated whether there's a deeper meaning behind the recurrent checkered squares in the games. I remember [you]. I remember teh and borken. I remember the Christmas Calendar we staffers organised one year, including the clusterfuck-esque rendition of the Chipmunks christmas song we all collaborated in. I remember the difficulty of trying to come up with April Fools gags that would somehow reach the levels of past ones which grew more ambitious each year: my favourites were the year where we released a metric ton of news on April 1 of which some were genuine and some fake, and the year where we decided to take it easy and simply mess around with the word filter, to the confusion of many chilidog fans. And that's not even the tip of the memory iceberg.

And most of all I remember a lot of people. Too many to count. A lot of amazing people that richened my life during those early years, a lot of people who I interact regularly these days outside the forum and who have become important friends, and a couple of people who were quite frankly utter dolts and idiots but who were still a part of the overall experience.

It's a fine place. Thank you staffers - founders, past and current - for the everlasting dedication to keep the place up and the spark to have it here as a beacon for any new Sonic fans and as a meeting point for them to get together, and thank you everyone who's ever been here for keeping it alive. Have a good birthday SSMB. I may not post anymore but god I love the place.

Edited by Flint
  • Thumbs Up 6

I can't remember when I joined but it was definitely a time when I didn't expect to be here today, let alone become a moderator.

I don't really have too many memories to recount because I'm terrible at that thing, but yeah I've had a lot of fun in this place and it's hard to imagine that I've been here for at least five years. I've met a lot of wonderful people here and I think my online activity would have been really quiet if it hadn't been for them.

Joining the staff team also helped shape my passion for the site; for the longest time, I felt that I was losing touch with SSMB and all of a sudden I'm talking to this crazy person named Pelly who basically gets me to be a mod, and ever since I have sincerely loved working with this bunch. It's not just being a mod that keeps me here, it's knowing that I'm working alongside these genuinely awesome people and I know that even if any of us were to leave, we would still have that special connection.

Oh and I noticed that the search function seems to be fixed, this is the best birthday present ever.

• Thumbs Up 6

HAPPY (LATE) BIRTHDAY - u-uh... *Snaps fingers..* Sega forums! No wait... Uhh... Damn, uh... Nsider? No... Devianta-- no... (What is the name of th--?!) 4Chan? No, wait... This is a Sonic Fan site so... SONIC! Sonic Cult. SonicHQ. Retro? FangamesHQ? Wiki?! SSMB?!!

SSMB! Yeah, see I remember. How could I forget? I first came here in late 2008, during the heated war over Sonic Unleashed. I'll admit, my first impression of SSMB wasn't all that great. With of all the noise that was going on that the time, I was only using this site for new Sonic info and nothing more. I didn't even try to branch out to other boards and topic - just give me my news and I would be on my way.

Also, I use to be insanely optimistic and not in a peaceful way. So at the time, where Sonic was slammed more than a crappy wrestler, there were moments where I lost my mind over nothing. When someone was pessimistic, all I could think about was too retaliate. (Sort of makes me glad that the forums started over. See, what happened on old SSMB, stays on old SSMB...)

But then, things cooled off and I actually started chatting with other users, looking into things on here other than Sonic, and I began to appreciate the community a little more... Then much more. Hell, this site freaking grew on me. And overtime, I became more open-minded with opinion about the Sonic franchise. I'm still very optimistic, like with most things, but more understanding than before. These days, I'm willing to hear people out and act according to their response. It feels good and I get answers easier that way.

What I like about this site the most? Well it's definitely the community. I've meet some awesome people on here, and got to know most of them. Also, I like the vibe I get from this website. It feels realistic, yet relaxed most of the time. It's not too serious for the most part - not to goofy to where being such isn't fun - and is not one of those site that threw in the towel, letting trolls run amuck. I feel like I can come on here and chill, you know?

But yeah, the community. The cool things you guys can do and the things you know. Whether its technology, art, politics, history and etc., I actually learned a few things when reading some of your posts. And nothing comes off as a lecture, but more of a conversation. So I don't mind being corrected, if that moment comes.

So yeah... Happy late birthday, SSMB! And normally, I don't splurge on a website, but what the hell? You guys deserve it! To celebrate this moment, everyone will get a copy of Sonic Generations! That's right, everyone gets one from the store of their choice... Near their location... With their own money.

What? sounds like a million dollar idea to me! Well, for Sega and Sonic Team at least. tongue.png

Edited by Dr. Hipster YoshiUnity
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well...I'm a new guy...so you may now proceed to "Haha! You don't have many memories!"

._."

Anywho, though. SSMB is one of the best places to come for Sonic discussion on forums. It's amazing. Happy B-Day SSMB!

Well...I'm a new guy...so you may now proceed to "Haha! You don't have many memories!"

._."

Why would anybody do that? huh.png You're not new if you've been here for 5 months. wink.png

And I guess SS's Birthday is gonna be the whole week. =D