Awoo.

truTV Presents: World's Dumbest...

Nepenthe

200px-TruTV_WD_Logo.jpg

Because I like logos, and you do too.

World's dumbest what? Well, it depends upon the episode.

Basically, the show is a countdown of 20 the most insipid or outrageous events caught on camera. The clips are punctuated with extra commentary by a large assortment of C-list celebrities, namely writers, comedians, and former actors. The most common themes are Criminals, Drivers, and Partiers, although the show covers other topics such as Tourists, Brawlers, and Competitions.

The show has a wildly varied schedule and has slight marathons whenever truTV feels like it, but it can most reliably be seen at 7PM EST. Or you can watch it legally on YouTube anytime as the actual production studio has begun uploading hundreds of segments.

This show regularly takes up a large chunk of my time on the web. It's not only the comments made about the videos that makes it funny, but the strange narrative by a few voice actors who tend to dumb down the video's subjects whilst making sure every foreign language sounds the same.

The recurring commentators will also take shots at one another, and certain personalities themselves have become recurring gags. Tonya Harding is derided by almost everyone for her obliviousness, while Brad Loekle remarks on Judy Gold's loud mouth who in turn takes nice digs at his homosexuality. Loni Love's the cheerleader for fat people and remarks on her own appetite, and Leif Garrett's long police record and rampant drug abuse is always made apparent. It's all self-depricating, but still in good fun.

So does anyone else watch it? Any favorite clips, commentators, or lines? Here's a favorite clip of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNxdSleORjs

Edited by Nepenthe

My favorites are the ones (regardless of the topic) where they get people who in theory could still get work if they wanted to, but for whatever reason don't bother. Like when Gary Busey or Frank Stallone do episodes of it. Especially the former.

Edited by TGaP Tornado

I never even knew Sylvester Stallone had a brother until this show started airing, so I can only imagine what that guy's marketability actually is. And Garey Busey's got that Adam West-rambling personality and some damn weird looks nowadays.

But speaking of Frank, I just love his distaste for China and Russia, if for nothing else than the big American flag they always superimpose behind him when he goes on his tirades. Such a cranky jerk. xP

I have all of Season 2 and Season 3 downloaded onto my iTunes. It's pretty much my most watched show these days.

I don't really have a favorite episode theme though...maybe the standard Criminals episodes, but I also enjoy watching the Dumbest Drivers segments. I also liked the Dumbest Shoppers episode from Season 2.

My favorite guests from there have to Godfrey, whenever he shows up, and that one Patrick fellow who's a writer (I think his name's Warburton? idk), especially the latter. His sarcastic quips in that monotonish voice never fails to make me smile.

The only monotone writer I know of in the cast is Billy Kimball- wears glasses? If so, yeah I like him too. His humor's so positively deadpan. "It could've been worse. Uh, he could've been hit by that car a fourth time."

Mike Trainor is also a funny guy. I suppose he fulfills the wacky and hilariously loud role for the group?

The only monotone writer I know of in the cast is Billy Kimball- wears glasses? If so, yeah I like him too. His humor's so positively deadpan. "It could've been worse. Uh, he could've been hit by that car a fourth time."

Mike Trainor is also a funny guy. I suppose he fulfills the wacky and hilariously loud role for the group?

No idea why I was thinking "monotone" was the right word....but yeah, deadpan nails what I was talking about. Thanks for reminding me about Billy Kimball though, I like hims a lot as well. As well as Mike Trainor...

Yeah, if the name is not Lori or Judy, I probably like him or her.

Most of the clips are just funnier on their own without the commentary or added sound effects. Some of the comedians are talented, but most of the time they're really obnoxious and distracting.

But then again I hate truTV with a burning, white-hot passion so I may not be the guy to talk about this.

Edited by The Soldier
  • Thumbs Up 1

Love this show. Although there was this one episode where they made a gay joke about a bull fighter getting a horn shoved up his arse. Not making this up.

Nothing's really off-limits in that show, and usually when they say it is, one of the cast members is almost contractually obligated to be an asshole about it. One particular clip involved a truck that caught on fire at a Middle Eastern off-roading competition. You can guess where it went from there.

Oh, I love this show!biggrin.png

Used to watch it on my TV room but somehow it won't let me change to the channel anymore. Now I have to watch it in either the living room or my parent's room.

My favorites have to be the ones about criminals, drivers and "smartest inventions." Anything else like partiers I pass on because it's mostly people who get drunk and I really don't find that as amusing as seeing criminals failing.

I usually watch this with my Dad and he and I find the commentary just as funny.

Most of the clips are just funnier on their own without the commentary or added sound effects. Some of the comedians are talented, but most of the time they're really obnoxious and distracting.

I agree with you on this.

Once in awhile their commentary is descent, but their overuse of commentary and sound effects grind my gears after awhile.

Edited by Techno Rhymes

World's "Smartest" Inventions is my favorite of the series. I just love how they poke fun at awful the products that were advertised are.

They're usually putting on World's Dumbest "Criminals" whenever I see that show on TV. I think I might have seen a few others, but..not nearly as much as those lists. It's not a show I regularly watch or anything like that, but I do think it's pretty funny, so I'll be more than happy to leave it on if I happen to catch it while flipping through the channels or something.

There's one on right now that I've been listening to while working on my Advertising homework.

I had forgotten that Daniel Baldwin was occasionally on this; and it's fun to watch him on it because even though he has become ridiculously fat of late he still sounds almost exactly like Alec, so you can pretend there is an honest-to-goodness A-lister doing the commentary for this stuff.

Edited by TGaP Tornado

My sister watches this, to be honest I find the actual accident funnier than the commentary behind it, I mean yeah some are funny, and other times they just suck. How many seasons is this into now.