Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

When it was annouced that new writters come in I was like "Oh! This can be interesting!" and after Colors I was really disapointed. But I said to myself "Well they only had 2 main Characters, Sidekick, 2 Robots and Alien as chatacters so its probably all they could do" so I gave them second chance! This time they had almost whole Modern Cast to use. And now when I hear from 2 reviews (that are only reviews By The Way) that story is bad and stupid I just think that writers dont do their job right. Someone failed at their job and it wasnt Sonic Team.

Screw whatever scores this gets, I'm getting it anyway. This made me want it more!

Don't keep the 'hog waitin

• Thumbs Up 7

But that's two freaking reveiws and they didn't say why! It seems like you're just ready to jump on the new writers neck as soon as a couple of reviews say that they don't like the story. Just because they don't like the story doesn't mean that you won't. I recall people hating on Unleashed story ane even Sonic 06 but there's people who still like those stories anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

No you got me wrong. Those are 2 ONLY reviewx we have now. This isnt coencidence that both first reviews mark game down for story.

If I recall, reviewers didn't like Unleashed's story either. I say you just wait for the game to come out and see for yourself if you like it or not.

OK, lets be honest...who plays Sonic games for the 'diverse' and 'unique' stories?

I do because i happen to enjoy being entertained by the character interacting and getting involved in the plot beyond "Eggman's up to no good! Stop him!" We've come a long way from that and I see nothing wrong and Gameplay should take priority over story I enjoy a well-made story almost to the same extent as the gameplay.

If anything, even tho Sonic 06's story was crap for example, it was the main factor the made most of us who played it play the game all the way to the end despite being victims to the glitches poorly implemented concepts the game was full of.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm not saying game is bad. I am really hyped for it. I'm just saying that this review proved something. That this game is near perfect and its only weakness is writting. In real world if someone from team at job fails he is given second chance, if he fails again he gets fired and thats what I actually hope will happen.

So you want the new writers sacked because two people didn't like a story, that none of us have experienced for ourselves and have hardly anything to go off? Seems reasonable.

Honestly, reviewers complaining about story in a Sonic game is nothing new. Hell Colours was the most well-received story the series has had, so you should probably be taking this negative feedback as a good sign. Calm your tits and wait until you've played the game (or have watched the cutscenes on YouTube) for yourself, because at this point in time your reaction is just silly. :/

Everyone says that but all return again cause they can't live without him!

Cause they want to hate love him

*trollfaec*

So i'd like to make a guess until we are done with the reviews. Generations will take these reviews from the "big" sites(i am basing this to Colors reviews)

IGN: 9,5

Gamespot: 8

Destructoid: 7

1UP: 8,5

GameInformer: 8

GameTrailers: 7

EuroGamer: 9

Joystiq: 9

GamesMaster: 9

• Thumbs Up 1

So you want the new writers sacked because two people didn't like a story, that none of us have experienced for ourselves and have hardly anything to go off? Seems reasonable.

Honestly, reviewers complaining about story in a Sonic game is nothing new. Hell Colours was the most well-received story the series has had, so you should probably be taking this negative feedback as a good sign. Calm your tits and wait until you've played the game (or have watched the cutscenes on YouTube) for yourself, because at this point in time your reaction is just silly. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

No you got me wrong. Those are 2 ONLY reviewx we have now. This isnt coencidence that both first reviews mark game down for story.

I dunno. Videogameszone said it was pointless and Empire said it was moronic, but the others didn't say anything.

in my country reviewers critcizied Colors for story and praised SA2 and Unleashed.

Edited by pppp
  • Thumbs Up 5

And yeah I will play the game, enjoy it and probably bash writing for bad jokes and pointless cutscenes funny thing is that in my country reviewers criticized Colors for story and praised SA2 and Unleashed.

Edited by V0YANT

Not everyone that goes to see a movie is going to like the plot and how its executed...what happens if your country ends up liking the plot in this game? Then what?

Edited by HUNTER297

I wasn't aware that Colors was conceived as badly written. In fact, the only people I've seen not liking Colors' writing is mostly Sonic fans who largely prefer writing of previous Sonic games which, ironically, is more looked down upon by the general public.

Exactly.Colors brought Sonic stories to their funny 90s roots,back when Sonic wasn't generic anime hero #23.That's why most critics liked it.

Which of these feel more like a Sonic cutscene:

This:

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmclkUKitdQ

That's why i can't understand these reviews.Anyone noticed that they just say the story is moronic without explaining why. They just wanted something to complain about.

I wasn't aware that Colors was conceived as badly written. In fact, the only people I've seen not liking Colors' writing is mostly Sonic fans who largely prefer writing of previous Sonic games which, ironically, is more looked down upon by the general public.

Well I am one of those people who prefer Storybook and Adventure writting. What I hate about Colors is that cutscene feel pointless compared to other lightearted platformers with jokes. Ratchet and Clank is good example (Jak And Daxter too but its more serious) in R&C games (Future series) I actually laugh durning cutscenes. Cutscenes were funny but they didnt lose their reason (making story progress) If I could do it then I would change Colors writers to R&C Future series writers (at least for jokes. I still prefer Adventures/Storybook writers tho). In Colors cutscenes are well... Pointless. Boss cutscenes are good example.

No. I want them fired cause they just suck at their job.

And yeah I will play the game, enjoy it and probably bash writing for bad jokes and pointless cutscenes funny thing is that in my country reviewers critcizied Colors for story and praised SA2 and Unleashed.

You keep talking about the cutscenes are going to have alot of jokes and pointless cutscenes cause Colors has them. That's Colors and this is a whole different game. I guess you've already made up your mind that you're going to hate the cutscenes in this game no matter what cause you think that lowly of them and the new writers aren't allowed to do anything with the characters.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

You keep talking about the cutscenes are going to have alot of jokes and pointless cutscenes cause Colors has them. I guess you've already made up your mind that you're going to hate the cutscenes in this game and the new writers aren't allowed to do anything with the characters.

From what I heard from reviews I think they will be like that. And because of fact that this game has the same writers as Colors I just fear it.

Exactly.Colors brought Sonic stories to their funny 90s roots,back when Sonic wasn't generic anime hero #23.That's why most critics liked it.

This:

vidya1

or this:

vidya 2

That's why i can't understand these reviews.Anyone noticed that they just say the story is moronic without explaining why. They just wanted something to complain about.

It's indeed very possible that Generations' story isn't all that good, especially considering no one here has idea as to what it really entails beyond vague plot threads.

And tone and atmosphere are not the only facets of a story. Sure, Colors' cut scenes are lighthearted and thus easily fit into a lighthearted series, but that doesn't excuse it of any other perceivable flaws in areas like narrative, dialogue, and acting. The fact that the general public found it more tolerable than Sonic 06's mess doesn't mean it's suddenly some industry-standard storytelling.

All in all, I think we should wait to experience the story for ourselves before lambasting critics for criticizing it, especially when the game is getting good scores anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I recall, Nintendo Power complained about how the jokes in Colors were "cringe-worthy", but they still gave the game a 9/10.

This:

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmclkUKitdQ

..Even though the first scene doesn't even have Sonic for a fair comparison, I'll be honest and say the first one, but ONLY because I started the series around that time period, so my views are probably not as valid as someone who's been in it since the beginning.

What I want though, is a mix of those, something that everyone can enjoy, fans of both story styles.

Now, if it was a fair comparison, I'd choose that first scene you posted, and then post a scene with Eggman chatting it up with Orby and Cubey, or, I'd take the second, then post the opening scene where Sonic jumps out of the helicopter.

• Thumbs Up 2

From what I heard from reviews I think they will be like that. And because of fact that this game has the same writers as Colors I just fear it.

Yeah but that was only 2 people out of 4 right now...also I expect some cutscenes that throw homages back to old titles....

I already know that going to happen a lot, but not every gamer is going to appreciate the throwbacks and the jokes that were made for the fanbase. Gamesradar is a prefect example as they have already stated that the jokes are aimed toward the Sonic fan audience and they enjoyed them in one of their previews because they were familiar with the games in the first place...

But not EVERYONE is going to get these homages and write them off as pointless especially people just getting back into the series from vaguely remembering what happened in Sonic Adventure.

Edited by V0YANT