Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

If they don't know most of the original musics, they really can't enjoy them as much as we do.

They're excellent tracks in their own right. While you can certainly appreciate them more if you're a fan, they should still be great to those hearing them for the first time.

A 7.5 for graphics is far too low. Even just playing the demo, I feel this is one of the prettiest games I've seen in a long time. Sure, it doesn't have the realistic, melancholiness of Battlefield 3 or Gears of War 3, but it has such charm and character oozing from every frame. It looks fantastic. It deserves a 9 for graphics at least.

And the music is great too. But I guess you have to be a fan to truly appreciate it and we all know IGN isn't.

• Thumbs Up 6

LOL Call of Duty Black ops Sound was rated an 9 from IGN. U Mad?

You can hear every bullet throughout the entire game. All 74,582 of them.

• Thumbs Up 9

A 7.5 for graphics is far too low. Even just playing the demo, I feel this is one of the prettiest games I've seen in a long time. Sure, it doesn't have the realistic, melancholiness of Battlefield 3 or Gears of War 3, but it has such charm and character oozing from every frame. It looks fantastic. It deserves a 9 for graphics at least.

And the music is great too. But I guess you have to be a fan to truly appreciate it and we all know IGN isn't.

Yeah! The Graphics should've got an 8 at least!

Read the IGN review.. Is it some kind of in-joke between game news/review outlets to use the word "annoying" as many times as possible during a review or preview of a Sonic game?

"Annoying friends", "Annoying voices" etc.

I've always noticed it, but for generations it's been twice as bad as usual. I honestly don't get it. It's like they can't remember why they hate the rest of the Sonic cast anymore, so just settle for "annoying" as justification for hating them.

Anyway, nice to get the 8.5, its a great score, even if the review itself read more like a 9'er.

• Thumbs Up 4

Is this a fact? Because i did not know this.

I don't remember claiming it to be fact. Just what I feel it deserves.

• Thumbs Up 2

For a positive review, the critic still managed to sound negative, constantly harping on about shitty friends and voice acting. Regardless, this does look fun.

Guys, what's with all of the bitching? This is like the TSS comments.

WHY YOU NO HAPPY WITH GOOD SCORE?!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Damn...y ou DO get the Emeralds via the bosses after all. IGN said it best: "This game needed a separate Chaos Emerald stage, a trippy, dizzying, infuriatingly difficult mini-game that makes you earn the emeralds, instead of just being given them." It's a shame, they could have easily swapped out just 7 of those "dud missions" for 7 special stage-styled levels, where you collect the Emeralds, and have the bosses just be... well, bosses. That, and the fact that Classic Sonic only fights 2 bosses instead of having the boss count split evenly down the middle seem like the only things Sonic Team screwed up on the conceptual level.

But yeah, overall seemed like a solid review, and I can agree with some of it. The controls DO have a few rough moments from what I played in the demo, but nothing too crazy. I thought the graphics were phenominal, but it sucks that frame-rate issues make a return. But the soundtrack is fucking amazing, I'm ashamed that they even considered giving it such a subpar score... the bastards. Also, I don't think 6 bosses is too few, given how lengthy and massive each of their battles looks to be.

It's good to see the game getting such high scores though! I'd love for it to get a Metacritic score of a 85% or more... though we all know other critics will take the flaws IGN brought up and magnify them 20 times over, so that probably won't happen.

Edited by EXshad

Guys, what's with all of the bitching? This is like the TSS comments.

WHY YOU NO HAPPY WITH GOOD SCORE?!!

They are idiots. That's all.

HEY EVERYONE SHUT UP. At least it got an 8.5 so shhhh before they decide to kill the score.

I see nothing wrong with the reviewer having these criticisms. You're all taking his opinions too seriously.

Also, it's so immature to hold a grudge against the whole site just for them having some negative criticism about Sonic. It's crap like this that makes this fanbase look like a childrens daycare centre.

• Thumbs Up 4

I see nothing wrong with the reviewer having these criticisms. You're all taking his opinions too seriously.

Also, it's so immature to hold a grudge against the whole site just for them having some negative criticism about Sonic. It's crap like this that makes this fanbase look like a childrens daycare centre.

LMAO! Childrens Daycare centre.

This "reviewer" has personally insulted me and stripped all meaning from my existence with this review. If anyone needs me I will be in the bathroom sobbing uncontrollably while I cut my wrists.

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't really have a problem with the review either. It seemed like a pretty well put together one compared to ........ Uh yeah. Only thing I have to question is the visuals. Uh we all see the game. There is no damn way the game should have gotten a 7 in visuals when it does deserve at least a 9. I'm sorry it's not the perfect RAGE, Battlefield 3 (god this game is great) or gears of war. But even he has to admit the game looks fantastic. Just stop and look at seaside hill.

• Thumbs Up 1

Score good. Review, meh (and before you say anything, I read the written review and watched the video review). As regards to the controls, I can't say I agree. If it was as regards to the physics, maybe. But sites like IGN never delve into that sort of thing as regards to Sonic game scores (hence why Sonic 4 averaged around 80 I think), but controls I have to disagree. It controls like a dream. Better than any 3D Sonic game before it in my opinion. They nailed the balance just right.

As regards to Classic Sonic's jump being "floaty", what are they smoking? Considering EVERYONE that complained at all about the jump said it was too HEAVY, how can it be too floaty now? I was one of the guys who found little problem with the jump myself, but if they're going to complain about something, they should at least complain about it properly.

As regards to Modern Sonic's control issues, I think that's because they're playing it with the wrong mentality. They should not be constantly thinking "LET'S GO THROUGH THIS AS FAST AS POSSIBLE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!" They should be thinking "Okay, let's properly maintain a good solid speed so that this is a smooth run", and Sonic definitely has the proper tools to do this, even from just playing the demo. Those points in the video review for example, where he just crashed into walls. The section clearly had quite fairly sharp turns in it, and as a result he should have instinctively slowed down just a tad to pull off a good Spindash Drift round those turns. I really dislike it when reviewers do that (blaming the game for their own shortcomings).

I also disagree with him as regards to graphics and sound. The visuals are vibrant and it all flows beautifully. Frame skips may be an issue, but even then I think it deserves at least an 8. As for sound, I found it was a soundtrack where there was at least something for everyone. But apart from that, music is such a sketchy subject since everyone's views as far as what good music is are different. I for one, also would've given this at least an 8.

Oh, and the comment part way through the video where he said "one's like Sonic 4, the other's like Sonic Colours" just made me facepalm.

However, to this guy's credit, I will say that at least he was able to properly appreciate the fact that this is designed first and foremost to being a homage to 20 years of Sonic history.

So again, good score (and I'm particularly happy it got an Editor's Choice award), but meh review.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't really have a problem with the review either. It seemed like a pretty well put together one compared to ........ Uh yeah. Only thing I have to question is the visuals. Uh we all see the game. There is no damn way the game should have gotten a 7 in visuals when it does deserve at least a 9. I'm sorry it's not the perfect RAGE, Battlefield 3 (god this game is great) or gears of war. But even he has to admit the game looks fantastic. Just stop and look at seaside hill.

Agreed! This game has some of the best water effects I've seen as well.

It's probably because of the framerate issues.

I'm happy with the score and think it fits the game perfectly fine, but the entire review made it sound like he almost wanted to hate the game, mostly due to the tone of his voice.

7.5 Graphics

Looks great in motion, but not as nice when everything stops. Framerate issues pop up somewhat regularly.

Oh wait you are playing the review copy. Not the retail one. From what I've seen in gameplay, no framerate crap.

7.0 Sound

Hit or miss soundtrack, but cool remixes. Improved voice acting (everyone is 70% less annoying). The sound effects are all spot on.

Okay I'll give you that one.

8.5 Gameplay

Two great types of levels, both awesome examples of Sonic at his finest. The boss battles are weak though.

Actually I bet the bosses are pretty weak. Perfect Chaos did seem nice though.

8.5 Presentation

An awesome interactive hub world, and a story that, while inconsequential, is enjoyable. The Sonics have a great dynamic.

Wait what? Did he say enjoyable story?

8.5 Great (out of 10)

Good review in general. I think I'm ready.

*looks down*

Are you ready buddy

*wiggle wiggle wiggle*

yeah.

Edited by Eternal BOOOOOOOSH
  • Thumbs Up 3