Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

Good score, but the guy failed to mention half of the good points and simultaneously failed to pick out any criticisms of note, beyond occasionally clunky controls. They mentioned nothing about level design other than "HURR DURR Multiple paths" and what the platforming was like. They didn't even describe what the missions were like other than they were mostly "cool" and friends missions were annoying. No mention of unlockables. Also, no noting of physics issues, or level design problems.

AGH, so much they failed to actually comment on at all.

TL;DR

Grateful of the 8.5....thankfully most people will see the number, rather than read the rather empty wall of text, which lacks any really relevant information. It was a 2 page spread on "yeah, I enjoyed it" and not much commentary on the game itself.

IGN gave it 8.5

4.5 confirmed from Destructoid!

*readys RPG and RAGE shield*

I'm ready guys.

Eh, I agree that the comments about Sonic's friends and stuff were silly, but I'm just glad to see a good score for Generations. And an enjoyable story? Sounds good to me!

Eh, I agree that the comments about Sonic's friends and stuff were silly, but I'm just glad to see a good score for Generations. And an enjoyable story? Sounds good to me!

Eh I don't know.

"call on rouge to distract the guards"

Yeah I could see why he may not have enjoyed the extra missions. Some actually don't sound satisfying.

The video review was really boring. The 8.5 the game got is good but I disagree with some of their points like the graphics and the music.

Edit: Disregard what I said about the hate for friend characters.

Edited by Torcano Sanctuary

What exactly did he say about the friends?

Nothing really bad. Just how their missions aren't the best at all and it's good that you don't HAVE to play them. The video review seems better than the written one for some reason.

The 8.5 the game got is good but I disagree with some of their points like the graphics and the music.

Nah the music is hit or miss. Some of us (shadz) can't stand Planet wisps or CE. While other's get nerdasms just hearing "follow me, set me free" (me).

Edited by Eternal BOOOOOOOSH

What exactly did he say about the friends?

I'm literally quoting from the written review here:

After destroying the main Acts, additional, mostly optional Challenges unlock, testing your skills. Sonic faces off against giant enemies, uses classic shields to traverse dangerous death traps, and teams up with his friends to overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Most of the Challenges are fun,though there are duds among the batch (usually featuring an annoying side character).

That's it. He went into no detail as to how they were annoying, or what about the missions in particular was annoying.

I like how someone said reviews are much more important than the score several pages ago, but now it's like this: "Who cares if the review is badly done? Be happy about the score, you ungrateful bastard!".

• Thumbs Up 3

Nothing really bad. Just how their missions aren't the best at all and it's good that you don't HAVE to play them. The video review seems better than the written one for some reason.

People are getting angry over this? Geez..

Also, I didn't really see anything wrong with the written review.

I'm literally quoting from the written review here:

That's it. He went into no detail as to how they were annoying, or what about the missions in particular was annoying.

Ohhh. The truth.

Edited by MarcelloF

UC3 got a 10/10 from IGN, but the review itself was TERRRRRRRIBLE. It was like a 15-year old's impressions from GameFAQs. I thought the 8/10 Eurogamer review was much, MUCH better

Nah the music is hit or miss. Some of us (shadz) can't stand Planet wisps or CE. While other's get nerdasms just hearing "follow me, set me free" (me).

Well that's why I said I disagree with it. I really like the music.

Well that's why I said I disagree with it. I really like the music.

Good with me. Your opinion, my opinion, and the reviewers. Glad we had this great conversation.

Lowest score- 80%

Highest score- 87%

Most common score of 7 reviews- 85% (3)

Average score based on 7 reviews- 83.4%

Verdict: cool.png

Also, not sure what to make of IGNs review. Happy with the score, it's definitely a one that I agree with, but I don't agree with all their reasoning.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

IGN's generations video review on youtube so you can ignore their websites horrible video player.

People are getting angry over this? Geez..

Also, I didn't really see anything wrong with the written review.

A reveiw is an opinion piece, however, all he did was say, "I liked this, but I didn't like that, but I liked this too, so there is more that I like than there is I dislike, so the game is good". Nothing about the level design. Nothing about what the missions played out like, what made some of them more annoying etc. A reveiw is supposed to tell you what a person thinks of a game, but also explain why.

As much as Jim Stirling was hated after his reveiw of Colours, he did his best to cover things that really bothered him as well as things he thought were good (despite being few and far between), not only that, he did his best to explain why and describe how.

That is precisely what this article fails to do.

Ohhh. The truth.

Truth? What truth? You can't have played any of the stages or missions (beyond the Demo'd ones) so there is no way you or I could claim that as being the 'truth'. Besides, he didn't give any details as to why, so its not like we can infer anything either.

A reveiw is an opinion piece, however, all he did was say, "I liked this, but I didn't like that, but I liked this too, so there is more that I like than there is I dislike, so the game is good". Nothing about the level design. Nothing about what the missions played out like, what made some of them more annoying etc. A reveiw is supposed to tell you what a person thinks of a game, but also explain why.

As much as Jim Stirling was hated after his reveiw of Colours, he did his best to cover things that really bothered him as well as things he thought were good (despite being few and far between), not only that, he did his best to explain why and describe how.

That is precisely what this article fails to do.

Truth? What truth? You can't have played any of the stages or missions (beyond the Demo'd ones) so there is no way you or I could claim that as being the 'truth'. Besides, he didn't give any details as to why, so its not like we can infer anything either.

...That they're annoying.

goddamn you guys

this sums up this shitstorm in a nutshell, except replace /v/ with "Sonic Fanbase" because even /v/ of all places agrees with the score

not every reviewer is a bunch of creepy obsessive manchild sonic fanboys like myself and you, of course they are going to have their own opinions on the franchise as a whole. Seriously enough nitpicking it's a freaking 8.5. Who cares if they don't like sonic's shitty friends, or if the music is just "good". or if the graphics etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

Did anyone find it funny how IGN described Classic Sonic gameplay the same as Sonic 4? tongue.png

Lol. For people who haven't seen much of the classic gameplay, That could turn some people off.

Edited by Mephiles550

I'm slightly disappointed that it didn't get a score higher then Colors but 8.5 is still great though. The complaints is still the same common complaints "annoying friends, clunky controls, why would anyone like the vocal tracks in the modern stages" etc but I'm surprise that he likes the story though. Anyway, it's a good score but the review itself is kinda meh.

...That they're annoying.

In the context of this game? Which im sure you have no idea on how they act.

Thats like saying "dont use the characters because they are annoying, even though the game could provide chances for them to be likable."

• Thumbs Up 1