Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

I wasn't hating on them, I was just pointing out that people in the Sonic fanbase tend to hate on IGN for being what it is.

I wasn't directing that at you, but to people in the Sonic fanbase who keep on saying IGNorant.

IDC about the review itself, I'm just happy that IGN gave it a 8.5. I'm also actually surprised nobody mentioned it got an Editor's Choice label.....although I disagree with sound and (definitely) graphics, I kinda hoped that they would give it a 9.

I think the most surprising thing for me was this. In the comments section, a troll comment appeared saying that they should kill off the series.

The comment was later flagged for review and people are actually defending the franchise. o_o

Check it out in the spoilers below:

This comment was flagged for review.

- what are you smoking? they finally nailed what Sonic needs to be for a new generation and you think it's time to call it quits? It was time to call it quits a couple years ago when there wasn't a good Sonic game in years and years... but now that they finally put out a great one, it's time for MORE!

idiota...

- haterz gonna hate

- Ever since Sonic Colors, after all these years, I think that Sega has finally found the holy grail of not making Sonic suck. So, now that Sonic is getting back on track you say that they should kill the series?

- I'm not even a big Sonic fan, and still I could tell you're obviously trolling. Please, find more productive uses of your time.

Not to mention that people still can't believe that finally a good Sonic game (not counting Colors) came out.

EDIT: This is pretty much what I've seen here people saying about the review and/or score.

Edited by Zinos

An 8.5, huh? While the review score is nice, I guess, both the video and written reviews themselves leave a lot to be desired.

I don't hate IGN in specifics...video game sites just make me cringe in general. 90% of them can't even write like a professional, and they don't use descriptive language. It's basically "like", "hate", "annoying", "perfect"...

That's a separate topic, though. Good to see a nice score. I'd point out that, as hardcore Sonic fans, the game might be a 9 to us. I got ripped for that last time, though. Good stuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

Destructoid just made an article on Sonic Generations' high pre-order count. Jim said that the review will come out before the game's launch.

Link to the article.

Sonic Generations is out on November 1 and all signs point toward a promising little game. We'll have our review before the game's launch, so make sure to check it out. It's going to be worth a read.

Will it be positive? Well we'll have to wait...

Edited by Neon

"And we're ready to love him again"

Again? A lot of Sonic fans have always loved Sonic, classic or modern, while acknowledging some games as being terrible. The actual score was higher than I thought it would be, but the reviewer seems to like making assumptions.

Well the main thing wrong with IGN's review is that I think he showed a bit to much fanboism and his personal opinions which affected the score (At least I think)

Keep dat shit out of mah reviews.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dissident, you just floored me. Killer post.

That's what frustrates me about gaming journalism. It's so...empty and based on shallow opinion with little reason or objective criterion. As a writer, it's extremely obvious.

Oddly, I kind of like Nintendo Power still...if only because they still try to be professional.

• Thumbs Up 2

Jesus Christ what is wrong with some of you? IGN finally gives a Sonic game praise and you nit pick the shit out of everything they don't like. They finally say that Sonic is back, and something they don't like is suddenly a blasphemous outrage? I think some of you need to chill out.

The problem, as so many of the others before me eloquently (or not) put it, is that they may have given Sonic Generations a good score, but their reasoning behind most of their points in the actual review are poorly written and have little to no detail as to WHY they dislike/like something. Also they have a tendency to fall back on overgeneralization and stereotyping to cover a game, so they never judge the game on its own merits.

Example: Sonic's friends are annoying; WHY? Is it because of subpar voicework? Did you dislike the way the characters interact? Did the AI of the characters intefere with the side missions?

• Thumbs Up 3

If this post comes off as whining coming from an idiot kid from a daycare center, then I don't know what to tell you. I expect more from something that's sole purpose is to sway my opinion.

If anything, you've swayed quite a few readers here yourself after dissecting the shit out of how shallow IGN's review, if not reviewers in general, can be.

• Thumbs Up 3

The part that bugged me in the review was when he said something along the lines of "clunky controls." Which if they are, all the power to ya, but don't show the clip where you forgot to drift the corner and ran into a wall when explaining this. It's like dishonest representation.

And maybe we will focus on important things? Like nobody noticec that Shadow has Rings and boost gauge in upper left corner of screen durning battle.

Dis is like some kind of...weird 15 year old Sonic Fan Prodigy from teh future.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jesus Christ what is wrong with some of you? IGN finally gives a Sonic game praise and you nit pick the shit out of everything they don't like. They finally say that Sonic is back, and something they don't like is suddenly a blasphemous outrage? I think some of you need to chill out.

It's because he failed to explain any of his criticisms in a way that made any sense. What we got was a high scoring review meant to basically act as a shield for his lack of context and reasoning.

Same way you, I and many of us needed to chill when Sonic 4 Episode 1 got good reveiws. There is something wrong with the things that Jack DeVries wrote. Not the number. I'm happy with the number. I'm dissatisfied with the 2 pages worth of meaningless, empty and contextless words.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think any of you actually CARE about the review. I think you just want IGN to eat shit.

Where the hell did you get this from? Did you even READ any of the comments people have been posting? We care very much about the review, hence why we're disappointed that the review was poorly written. I don't hate IGN at all, I just want them to write reviews where they actually back up their points and not write two pages of (for the most part) worthless text. For professional journalists that get paid to do this, this is simply unacceptable.

• Thumbs Up 3