Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

You know what I also really dislike? Is the fact that some of these reviewers are acting like Modern Chemical Plant is the best designed Modern level in the game when it quite clearly isn't. Why is this the case? Because it lacks the spice of life. It lacks VARIETY in the 3D sections. A lot of the 3D sections consist of literally nothing more than either grinding on a single rail (not even multiple rails going back and forth, ONE rail), or boosting forward in a straight line, with maybe a quick step section chucked in for good measure. Whilst the 2D aspects of the level look pretty fun, the 3D aspects (for the exception of that very hard to reach path at the beginning and that very brief end section) are very one dimensional.

But then on the other hand they bash levels like Seaside Hill and Crisis City. Seaside Hill in particular looks fantastic. Apart from looking amazing, there's a massive variety of things to do in both 2D and 3D sections. It's pretty hard to describe, it's much easier for you to just watch the video yourself:

There's so much to do and a good amount of freedom to move. One of the things that has made Sonic games great in my opinion is varied level design, and this seems to be an element that EVERYONE misses (well, lots of reviewers and fans alike). Even with perfectly replicated classic game physics, the games would suck if it wasn't for the fact that the level designs were interesting and offered unique platforming sections and gimmicks, whilst offering a good amount of challenge. The levels in Generations do this, the later ones in particular. And what is this about "unclear bottomless pits". Are they fucking serious? There are GIANT RED SIGNS saying indicating where a bottomless pit is. How the heck do you miss shit like this?

One thing I quite dislike is how simplistic these reviewers are when it comes to Sonic level design. Any time a level offers some sort of complexity beyond running fast in a straight line in 3D it's automatic fail. This negative bias needs to stop.

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I can tell, Gamesreactor Norway doesn't go on Metacritic.

*unloads shotgun* oh never mind then. Lol

• Thumbs Up 1

How much does a game have to communicate to a player about pitfalls when they literally put signs saying...there is a pitfall? Are you dense?

callin it now the next sonic game every time you come across a pit omochao will pop up and warn you in the most annoying way possible

then we can sit back a watch reviewers complain that the game held there hand

Edited by i don't like pie
  • Thumbs Up 2

Turbojet, that was such a fantastic dissection of that shitty review that I don't think I have anything to add on. xP

I'm busy today with homework and my own reviews (Sonic Heroes at the moment, don't worry, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBe00FAaado, if I may pat my own back happy.png). I don't feel like wasting my time with stuff literally everyone's already raging about.

I call Gametrailers.

GameInformer's review is an insult against journalism. It's a celebration of Sonic's 20 years, not of his first four.

Absolutely. It's a celebration of Sonic's history, good AND bad. They're celebrating the series without prejudice, which is fantastic for reaching out to its audience.

Basically, GameInformer's review can be broken down to this.

Green Hill: YAY! Sonic 1 all over again!

Chemical Plant: YAHOO! Speedy Gonzalez in murky waste!

Sky Sanctuary: OMG! BEST GAME EVAR!!11!1

Speed Highway: YES! Even more speeeeed!11! Wait, it's from the Dreamcast Era? Eh, okay.

City Escape: Follow me! Set me free! Believe it! A great game in 3D!

Seaside Hill: Hey, what the hell?! Why THIS! Okay, okay. It's just one level from one bad game.

Crisis City: *calls Sega* Dear Sonic Team, why do you put in a level from the WORST GAME EVAR in Generations? Give me my money back!

Rooftop Run: Great, even more recent shit! Who put ME in charge of reviewing this?!

Planet Wisp: Sega, more Classic levels, not Modern junk.

That's it! Stupid Sega, Stupid Sega! No—more—Modern—levels! Classics only now and forever, you pathetic idiots! 6.75 score for your pathetic level choices. You fail!

Seriously, that review was stupid. Their complaint is just as bad as the ones whining about Sonic's Shitty Friends. rolleyes.gif

That's not why they gave Paper Mario 2 a low score. That would actually have been a much better argument. The reason they gave paper mario 2 a low score - after a gushing text review I might add - was because they thought it was too kiddy. Seriously, the entire text of the review was glowing, calling it an amazingly fun game that made them laugh, then they gave it a low score with the explanation that they review games based on the way they think their audience expects the game to score, and that since their audience was into adult games, they wouldn't like paper mario 2. They later backed this claim up a few issues later in an editorial where they said that they don't take their own personal enjoyment of a game into consideration, they give scores based on what they think their readers want the game to get. They said that, since most of their readers play gritty games, they wouldn't like a light hearted game like paper mario 2 and scored it low to keep their readers from playing it.

91-mario-wtf-is-this-shit.jpg

You've got to be kidding me! REALLY! That train of thought is absolutely STUPID! Play the game and critique it on material that work, don't work, and needed fixing. Criticizing it and giving it a score based on your audience and not objective merits is pathetic journalism. God almighty! angry.png

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 8

I call Gametrailers.

I honestly wanted Sterling, but he said some things that I agreed with such as the game being too short, but I see it as a way that there is no way Sonic Team can create longevity.

In reality, I think you do a better job at dissecting these arrogant assholes than me.

Dissident and turbojet

TSSZ's Ultimate Paladins of Justice

Dissecting bad reviews from idiotic excuses for journalists one awesome rant at a time

• Thumbs Up 8

More complaints on shitty friends? I can't believe... Even the mere appearances of Sonic's shitty friends seem to be a poison on the franchise even though interactions with them are both optional and inconsequential. Whatever happened to the days when complaints about shitty friends were really legit criticisms of the shitty alternate gameplay they presented? or hell, even against how annoying their voices were? Now it's all bitchy whining about said shitty friends because they... remind the reviewers of the dark ages and how badly those Sonic games have raped their feelings. Because that's the only possible thing I can think of to even attempt to legitimize any complaints against the shitty friends. There's no alternate gameplay with them, their voices have vastly improved, and you don't even have to interact with them.

Hate to say it, but I don't think we'll have other playable characters for a long time, if ever again. Unless you count what's left of Sonic 4 (probably) having Tails & Knuckles playable, Sola-Sonica games will continue. *feelsbadman.jpg*

And the bawws against the modern levels? More classic elitism and butthurt about recent memories of rape a bad game BAWW. And the difficulty complaints in the later levels? Those little boys ain't man enough to take Planet Wisp by the horns YEEHAW!

• Thumbs Up 6

GI is alright at representing the popular consensus on mainstream hardcore titles, but they aren't trustworthy (due to being tied to Gamestop) and review non-hardcore titles very harshly. It's funny though, I believe they were relatively kind to Sonic '06...didn't it get the same score Generations got? 6.75?

:x ....

*clutches butt in a protective manner*

Now I'm imagining how much that would hurt- curses!!

On topic: Still waiting on Gamespot's review.

More complaints on shitty friends? I can't believe... Even the mere appearances of Sonic's shitty friends seem to be a poison on the franchise even though interactions with them are both optional and inconsequential. Whatever happened to the days when complaints about shitty friends were really legit criticisms of the shitty alternate gameplay they presented? or hell, even against how annoying their voices were?

*sigh* I really hate it when reviewers complain about Sonic's "shitty" friends. That logic is just as stupid as Tim Turi's review from GameInformer bashing Generations HD for having levels aside from the Classic Era. :(

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 1

That GI Review made me puke in my mouth a bit.

Such DISGUSTING journalism.

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 6

*sigh* I really hate it when reviewers complain about Sonic's "shitty" friends. That logic is just as stupid as Tim Turi's review from GameInformer bashing Generations HD for having levels aside from the Classic Era. :(

Sonic Generations got a "Buy It!" from ThisIsMyJoystick.

http://thisismyjoyst...ic-generations/

Brilliant review.

Description for the Buy It rating:

BUY IT: The reviewer believes that the game sits between very good and excellent. Games with this badge of honour will be what we consider nearing perfection. If you are really into games that offer the experience that this does, then it is an absolute must-buy. Hell, it should still be under consideration even if you aren’t, such is the quality of the end product.

Edited by Neon

Not only was that review utter garbage, this "journalist" had the audacity to spoil the last cut scene of the game. I was trying my best to avoid spoilers since the leak. Thanks a lot, GameInformer.

• Thumbs Up 3