Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

Despite the damn WARNING SIGNS they still complain about bottomless pits. I have seen most levels in this game and I don't see NEARLY as many bottomless pits as there were in Unleashed. There seems to be only a little bit more of them than in Sonic Colors, which had very little, and they still complained about those last year. As for difficulty, the game looks pretty damn easy. I think they start to get butthurt by Planet Wisp, I mean have you seen that monster? ohmy.png Looks pretty beastly. Even with that though, it frustrates me that harder games of the same genre like NSMBWii and DKCReturns, which was hard as fuck and had bottomless pit EVERYWHERE, can get reviews of 9's or high 8's yet nobody seems to bitch on their difficulty and if they do they don't dock points at all.

I swear if this game gets a lower meta critic score than Metroid Other M...angry.png

I had very low expectations for the reviews so some of the complaints like "a secondary cast exists" and "it's the game's fault I can't Homing Attack" aren't surprising in the least. What is surprising though is GAF's fervent defense of the game from some of these reviews. That actually matters more to me in the grand scheme of things and is part of the reason why I don't feel so defensive.

Another part is because of the general horribleness of game criticism as serious dissertation. It's a young medium and fraught with all of the problems young literary mediums face, only it's unfortunately been held hostage for the longest by the dudebro hardcore gaming culture that gets off on the tired conclusion that all modern Sonic games and ideas are inherently inferior by way of being modern Sonic games and ideas.

This attitude and subsequent pandering to the masses isn't going to change any time soon, although what might speed up the process an inkling is if Sega were to respond again but without the sarcasm they leveled to Jim Sterling- a serious, eye-brow-raised response to a stupid question like "why is an 20 year anniversary title not celebrating only the first four years?" At the very least, it would probably be really good for PR. The folks at Sega are witty enough to pull it off. I also wonder, do some of you actually post these review nitpicks in these sites' comments sections? It would be helpful if you did; otherwise it's kind of preaching to the choir. xP

• Thumbs Up 7

I know the fanbase can get a bit crazy at times...but I really hope reviews pick up tomorrow...because this shit is disgusting.

All fan rage is well fucking deserved here...all of it. I wouldn't even have problems with the scores if the shit they complained about was legit..like Classic Sonic's rolling sucking....but no...we are getting the stupidest shit imaginable as excuses.

Edited by V0YANT
  • Thumbs Up 6

Okay, weve been raging about this for a few pages now, so lets just forget about it and hope for better, less shitty reviews in the near future

Maybe they should change it for one bigger with big letters saying WARNING! BOTTOMLESS PIT AHEAD! Maybe then they'll notice

Maybe they should give them a 'Super Guide' or maybe an option to skip the entire level ala Super Mario 3D Land :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I forget which reviewer(s) said it, but they said something about how beautiful and artistic the level design is in the classic era, but yet the Modern Era is plagued with unoriginal, horrible, and uninspiring level design. Then they began to rant on wondering why anybody would even want such levels as Crisis City or Seaside Hill in this game is beyond them. I find that very egotistical, as most reviewers somehow have the crazy idea that anything past the classics is horrible, even after the lukewarm reception of 4/Unleashed and positive reception of Colors/Generations. This is not true, not one bit.

I gotta ask, what's the reviewers problem with Seaside Hill? From the gameplay I saw, Seaside Hill looks beautiful and has better level design then Green Hill and Chemical Plant Zone.

Maybe they should give them a 'Super Guide' or maybe an option to skip the entire level ala Super Mario 3D Land tongue.png

WHY stop there? Why not just cover the entire ground with nothing but boost pads and make the whole level a straight line? And while we're on that, make it so bosses have an "EPIC" mode, where you only hit the boss once to win and the only thing you have to dodge is a single wall of spikes. Or maybe just take Sonic 1-3, or SA1/SA2, lump them all together and call it Sonic "When he wasn't Bad", but dumb down the dialogue and story so even a half dead MONKEY could understand it!?

• Thumbs Up 3

The sad thing is, given the less critical reviewers for Nintendo games, the 3DS version may actually surpass the console version on Metacritic.

• Thumbs Up 1

The sad thing is, given the less critical reviewers for Nintendo games, the 3DS version may actually surpass the console version on Metacritic.

Reviewer: WTF this has too many pitfalls, I GIVE IT A 2/10!

To be serious for a minute or two, why do reviewers complain about bottomless pits when they have been in platformers for years. It's like if the game does not have an invisible wall to keep you from falling off of something its bad. The friend complaints are also rediculous, it's the 20th anniversary, God forbid we include characters who have been in the game or appeared within those 20 years...

Edited by Silencer226

On the bright side at least the comments(most of them at least) Seem positive.(and even at times defend points the critics found bad) Although a few are still wary on wether it's a worth purchase. Or at times just say"oh well sega... another bad one"It really shows who blindly trusts reviewers. I mean it's disappointing these reviews will make people like or hate the game without them checking it out themselves.

Clunky Controls? Every game has control problems and what not, but when in your review, (I'm looking at you IGN) you boost into a wall, then proceed to boost into another wall, fuck up again, and blame it on the game's controls, that is a no-no

Well fuck I guess Omachoa needs to say this the next game....

"Boost is a very powerful tool...only use it when your safe and had a lot of practice or you might fucking kill yourself."

Founded my ass...Sonic controls swell at low speeds this is not Unleashed...its human logic not to go OMFG fast on unfamiliar seemingly dangerous terrain especially when your playing a game with levels that get harder as you progress.

Are you going to go 90 Miles Per Hour in a foggy night down a snake like road? No...and if you did your a fucking idiot. Your even more of a fucking idiot if you blame the foggy night for the crash you got in instead of blaming yourself for poor judgement.

This logic applies to all things in life even general gaming.

Its common fucking sense.

You know what Sonic Team needs to do...make a Sonic based survival-horror-platformer so that people will be scared shitless to boost and hopefully they will get it then.

Edited by V0YANT
  • Thumbs Up 6

Sonic Team should definitely consider mocking the player next time in case they die. Have Omochao come in and be like "What idiot would boost towards lava when you saw it a mile away?!"

Hoo boy, I can see a lot of rage here.

Edited by Omnis Doc Invictus

Also, GI's review got me wondering. Exactly how are the other places looking at this?

I took the liberty of going on to GameSpot forums and they have a dedicated topic on GI's review of the game which is almost no different from how we've been reacting to it. And that made me think that we have a much stronger base than what we're normally familiar with.

Then again, there's also the risk that those guys are just as big a fan as we are, so how that adds weight depends on your mileage.

EDIT: And good to see GameTrailers finds it favoriable...now to watch the review.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Yay, another 8. ^^ I hope the next reviews are 8s and hopefully we'll get an 9.

A 8.1 Awesome "Sonic hasn't been this good in years." So are we keeping count of how many times a variation of that phrase is going to be mentioned in a review?

Edited by sonfan1984

This......was a good review.

Though I am annoyed about how he showed cheap deaths of the Sky Sanctuary platforming section and then immediately switched backed to Modern Chemical Plant's 3D as if it was better >>.

Edited by Soniman032-