Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

Hopefully the PS3 version does better than the 360 version...that will honestly be enough for me. Where is Vandal Review on the game...they are registered in meta and gave the game a 8.5 and we knew about their review on the 31 of October.

Gamereactor of Finland gave the game 7/10. They said its a good but not a fantastic Sonic game. They also said something about the Hedgehog engine. Mainly how it represents Sonic Team's ''tunnelvision'' and how Generations is the best game by far that uses the engine. And they think Colors is still a better game...(why...?)

The PS3 version IS doing better than the 360 version, on Metacritic the PS3 version has a score of 79/100...the 360 version has a score of 76/100.

They're both the same game so how can they even have different scores?

Well, some are console exclusive sites/magazines reviews, some make the review in one console and some make an overall review (excluding portables) that's how you have such variation in the Metascores

The PS3 version IS doing better than the 360 version, on Metacritic the PS3 version has a score of 79/100...the 360 version has a score of 76/100.

They're both the same game so how can they even have different scores?

Because of magazines/sites that only review one version of the game.

Well if the PS3 version on meta manages to pull off an above 80 then I consider it a victory.

But the complaints these people are making are fucking stupid as these complaints should apply to all platfomers in general. I guess from now on we are only going to get easy as fuck games like Sonic Colors.

Edited by V0YANT

GameSpot has uploaded videos showing Sonic Generations gameplay, so I guess that their review will come out soon.

Edited by KrazyBean14

8.2/10. On scores that are given on a 1-5 scale, just multiply the score by two.

That's not mathematically sound (you'd never get a "1/10" with that method). When converting one range to another, the minimum of the source (1/5) should be mapped to the minimum of the target (1/10). Same goes for the maximum. With that, a score of 4.1/5 corresponds to 8/10 (actually 7.975).

Anyway, I don't know and don't care how metacritic does it. I've always thought they are a joke. Different publications use different scales and standards so that metacritic's average is quite worthless.

GameSpot has uploaded two videos showing Sonic Generations gameplay, so I guess that their review will come out soon.

They posted 3 videos, one of each Classic era stage. biggrin.png

God, they're awful.

They posted 3 videos, one of each Classic era stage. biggrin.png

God, they're awful.

Indeed...they should REALLY learn how to Drift and Quick-Step in the Modern levels as well.

inb4bawwthecontrolssuckass...whilst it's clearly their fault.

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 4

That's not mathematically sound (you'd never get a "1/10" with that method). When converting one range to another, the minimum of the source (1/5) should be mapped to the minimum of the target (1/10). Same goes for the maximum. With that, a score of 4.1/5 corresponds to 8/10 (actually 7.975).

Anyway, I don't know and don't care how metacritic does it. I've always thought they are a joke. Different publications use different scales and standards so that metacritic's average is quite worthless.

I just wanna see reviewers be honest for once.

"My reflexes weren't quick enough. 6/10"

>w>

Only in a perfect world.

• Thumbs Up 8

This game has probably the least amount of bottomless pits ever aside from Sonic Colors and it even has a sign that SCREAMS BOTTOMLESS PIT. They really need to make the review copies so that Omochao calls the reviewers idiots in the next game if they die so much "Don't boost here if it is a platforming section. What are you retarded?" Not really seeing the cheap deaths complaints being validated besides, this game has a free port of the original Sonic game so shouldn't that make the game get an automatic 10/10 by their retro fanboy logic?wink.png

I tried to post my thoughts on Amazon, but apparently it was inappropriate (too much cursing and insults I guess): So I'm going to sum it up here:

WARNING! Lots of fanboy rage upcoming!

Reviewer Bias

It's what the title says. I've put myself through the agony of reading the poorly written reviews of IGN, Gametrailer, Gameinformer, and so on...

And I honestly cannot believe that after all this time, after all the things SEGA and Sonic Team have done to try to please these types of people...

THEY STILL FIND A WAY TO NITPICK THIS GAME TO THE GROUND.

Seriously, Why can't they just fucking grow up already? Throughout each of their reviews, these complaints were most common:

1) Clunky controls: What clunky controls, you're goddam boosting in areas you aren't supposed to be boosting! OF COURSE YOU'RE GOING TO GODDAM CRASH!

2) Bottomless Pits: EVERY GAME HAS THESE, and yet you exclusively call out only Sonic on it; what? do you want no pits at all? Are you so blind that you can't even see the incredibly obvious RED GLOWING SIGNS that clearly tell you there is a bottomless pit?!

3)Shitty Friends: Now I know this is a very touchy subject for some of us, and I do think they WERE kinda useless in the game, both story and gamewise, BUT COME ON! If you are going to call them that, at least provide a better reason other than "They are shitty because they exist!"

4)Later levels Suck because they aren't classic levels: GameInformer, you have just succeeded in pissing me off even more than usual. THIS is your best argument!? This game covers 20 YEARS of Sonic, both good and bad, what on earth do you think is going to happen? The SEGA PRs have been talking about this for the past 6 months!

In Conclusion:

It is pretty evident from this that these reviewers are clearly looking for every possible way to sneak any reason to lower the score of Sonic Generations due to their own petty biases. I might be sounding like a butthurt fan, but you cannot seriously look at any of their reviews and tell me the bias and sheer hatred for anything that remotely resembles the Era they hate isn't there.

Hell its would be so much better for everyone if they just outright admit tha they just want Sonic to be stuck in an eternal loop where nothing but remakes of their favored era of games was released so they can rub it into the faces of REAL fans who actually want Sonic to get better, and not be slowly killed by the cycle of STAGNATION!

TL;DR YesImad!

• Thumbs Up 8

You know, I'm not the greatest at this game. Modern style gameplay is still something I'm getting used to, and I have had some rather embarrassing deaths so far.

BUT... I wouldn't mark the game down for it. The game does not cause cheap deaths; the players do, and I think this game has been designed so that it's VERY clear when a pitfall will happen.

People also seem to forget that bottomless pits existed as early as Sonic 1. :/ And they're all over in many different platform games. It's just dumb how people have a blatant double standard when reviewing Sonic games.

Gamereactor of Finland gave the game 7/10. They said its a good but not a fantastic Sonic game. They also said something about the Hedgehog engine. Mainly how it represents Sonic Team's ''tunnelvision'' and how Generations is the best game by far that uses the engine. And they think Colors is still a better game...(why...?)

Gamereactor Finland and Gamereactor Denmark reviews are translations of the Swedish review which is the one that goes up on Metacritic. Denmark's would go up on Metacritic if it weren't a translation. The Hedgehog Engine complaint was a misinformed statement in regards to the reviewer assuming that it's what defines the Unleashed game play. I told him about it and he tweaked up his main review accordingly.

• Thumbs Up 7

Gamereactor Finland and Gamereactor Denmark reviews are translations of the Swedish review which is the one that goes up on Metacritic. Denmark's would go up on Metacritic if it weren't a translation. The Hedgehog Engine complaint was a misinformed statement in regards to the reviewer assuming that it's what defines the Unleashed game play. I told him about it and he tweaked up his main review accordingly.

I thought it looked familiar, i just thought they copy pasted the beginning mellow.png

Eurogamer gave it a 7/10:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-02-sonic-generations-review-review

They're probably the first people to legitimately complain about bottomless pits. What I mean by that is that they don't complain about them being "poorly communicated" or any crap like that (heck they even acknowledge the big fat red sign), but rather imprecise air controls. I still disagree though. Manoeuvring yourself through the air isn't that hard in Generations (easier than it is in Colours), the platforms are as wide as elephants and even then you have tools like the jump dash and stomp.

However, there was one comment I found really, REALLY pointless:

By contrast, series mainstays like a set number of lives and numerous bottomless pits were certainly in vogue back in those days but should perhaps be facing retirement by now - or at the very least, handling of greater delicacy than Generations can muster. Using up four out of five lives completing a level and then dying halfway through the next one because you only had one left, only to be plonked back at the start with five again, feels poorly thought through. Why not just give us five lives at the start of each new level?

I'm sorry, but out of all the things to devote an entire paragraph to from their, quite frankly, fairly brief review, they choose LIFE COUNT?! I swear not even us crazy Sonic fans who notice the tiniest of details noticed shit like this.

Eurogamer gave it a 7/10:

http://www.eurogamer...s-review-review

They're probably the first people to legitimately complain about bottomless pits. What I mean by that is that they don't complain about them being "poorly communicated" or any crap like that (heck they even acknowledge the big fat red sign), but rather imprecise air controls. I still disagree though. Manoeuvring yourself through the air isn't that hard in Generations (easier than it is in Colours), the platforms are as wide as elephants and even then you have tools like the jump dash and stomp.

However, there was one comment I found really, REALLY pointless:

I'm sorry, but out of all the things to devote an entire paragraph to from their, quite frankly, fairly brief review, they choose LIFE COUNT?! I swear not even us crazy Sonic fans who notice the tiniest of details noticed shit like this.

What was their reveiw score for Mario Galaxy 2?

Half that game was platforms floating above a giant pit of death. Not to mention it employs the exact same live-system. So then why is it a problem in Generations?

Its a problem in Generations cause all people want to do is go in fucking straight line and go fucking fast.

• Thumbs Up 5

360 version raised back to 78 by now, so both PS3 and 360 are separated by 1 point, but more important, they are doing good

It's a problem in Generations cause all people want to do is go in fucking straight line and go fucking fast.

But then it would be slammed for having the "Boost to win" syndrome, as some reviewers pointed out in Unleashed.