Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

lol That EGM review...Wow. I hate when someone says things like "unfulfilling" without providing any explanation. What does that mean? Seriously? That's like when people use the cliche term "uninspired". It's just a fancy way to say "it sux", it has no more descriptive use and is about as valid a complaint. It has no meaning.

Magazines are dead.

• Thumbs Up 2

I bet that's gonna screw around with the metascore, though. :/ I wish they wouldn't use blatantly biased reviews on metacritic.

I don't think this was already posted, but EGM: 6.5/10. Review by James Pikover.

Review included complaints about "high-pitched, annoying" friends, a "childish" storyline (from the reviewer himself: the cast of Yu-Gi-Oh! might as well be playing Sonic’s friends; and), and gave the 3D gameplay quite the beating, claiming that the levels are "frustrating" because "you can't see where you're going" (boost to win?) and that it's too easy to "make one wrong button press and plummet to your death." Oh and all those levels, missions, and boss fights? They are fun, but overall "unfulfilling." The game also included choppy controls and lacked the oh-so-hard-but very rewarding-moments from the classics. And since it was reimagining older levels from previous games, the game thus lacked "originality."

THE GOOD: Classic Sonic gameplay, online leaderboards (inb4 hacks)

THE BAD: Poor camera, delayed controller response

THE UGLY: It's as kid friendly as Teletubbies

What I read was this:

THIS GAME IS TERRIBLE IT HAS THE 3D GAMEPLAY AND SONIC'S SHITTY FRIENDS AND BOTH OF THEM SUXXXXXXXXXX

AND IT'S FOR KIDS WHICH OBVIOUSLY MEANS IT'S GARBAGE AND IT'S NOT AS GOOD AS THE CLASSICS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW

Now I'll leave you guys to shred this so-called "professional review" to yourselves. Or we could have turbojet and Dissendent make another analysis.

Sounds like someone misses Dan Green.

Jesus. This EGM review actually beats GameInformer for the worst review yet. How the heck did he even land a job as a reviewer?

You know, it says quite a lot when commenters are criticizing reviewers in favor of Sonic of all franchises. Granted, Sonic has a lot of friends, but we haven't seen this kind of support become so mainstream in a long ass time.

To recall on what said, that member is me.

Yes, it's indeed a review copy I've got from SEGA's PR on October 28th.

However, I have no PS3, so I've handed it over to my colleague, so he started his quest to borrow or rent a PS3 for the review VEDJ-F linked to.

Luckily, the review copy worked perfectly on a retail PS3, which my colleague finally found.

He borrowed the PS3, made some video's out of it, and wrote the review.

That's how it all was.

However, our Team no longer has this copy, because the colleague who reviewed this game gave it to the one he could borrow the PS3 from, as a nice thank you.

Now the person he rented from has the review copy, and she's actually very happy with it.

Edge gave it a 5/10

Ouch: http://www.next-gen....erations-review

This review bumped the PS3 score down by 3%

Though I really hope this isn't their full review. Because there's nothing of it. Usually, I feel that Edge's reviews are beautifully constructed and well written, but this one was poor. Apparently Generations good visuals are a bad thing?

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

Wow...the support this game is getting from people...is interesting.

Even in the IGN forums people are parsing Modern sonic's level design and some people are honest to go d impressed....now when people go with there usual trolling antics people start to get angry at them.

The "Classic Sonic" Gimmick really helped get more people to play the games again...a lot of people are enjoying the Modern portions....more than I thought I would.

Watching that Giant Bomb preview showed my why they made the bosses so easy....took im 4 minutes to beat that Death Egg Robo. Imagine the rage all the casual gamers today would feel if they made that boss harder.

To us seasoned Sonic fans...bosses will kinda always be easy. My cousin was playing Generations last night and it took her 6 minutes to beat that boss on her first time. It goes to show you just how much people have trully lost their touch in basic platforming antics compared to the old days.

Edited by V0YANT

Edge is the Pitchfork Media of gaming. Only hipsters listen to what they have to say.

Otherwise I don't really care about the reviews this game is getting. I'm rather enjoying it, even though I'm in the midpoint of whether I'd give it a 7 or an 8. I'll be jumping into the other topics for impressions maybe later.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I admit it took me a few minutes on most of those bosses as well. The standards of gaming have really changed so that if a new platform game was released with 80's level difficulty, I can see a lot of complaints.

Someone on Retro pointed out in the EGM review that they really didn't even play it.

From Cooljerk on Retro.

So EGM's review makes it blatantly obvious that they didn't play the game. At all. So many flat-out lies in the review, the most erroneous being that they claim that Sonic Team didn't make any new stages at all, but rather lifted the level layouts from the old game intact. Before you question this, no, they're not talking about level themes, because they touch on that before. They make a point to say that the levels themes are from old games, and then later, when talking about level layouts, they say that they're exactly the same as the genesis games level layouts.

Then they say that there is no difference between the level layouts in classic sonic's mode and modern sonic's mode, with the only change being that you play classic sonic in 2D, and modern sonic in 3D, but they go through the exact same sega genesis level layouts.

They also say that the game begins in emerald hill zone.

Then they gave it a 6/10 and called sonic team lazy. I'm not even joking.

Edited by V0YANT
  • Thumbs Up 8

How come all the bad reviews this game is gettting are so fucking terrible?

Seriously, it's fine if you don't like the game, but if you're gonna give it a bad score, at least have a fucking clue about what you're reviewing! Morons

Kotaku gets in a jab at these polarizing reviews: http://kotaku.com/5856021/sonic-generations-has-game-reviewers-running-in-circles

It's funny to note that 3 different staffers of Kotaku said a big "YES" to the question, "Should you buy Sonic Generations?"

Think about this for a second. Kotaku. Said you should should buy this game. Kotaku. KOTAKU.

What aren't you getting, other critics?!?!?!

Why is it that whenever Generations gets a brilliant review, some random, asinine review comes out of nowhere and fucks it all up?