Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

Odd, I liked Perfect Chaos more than the Time Eater...despite the fact that Perfect Chaos is a Monster of the Week.

Odd, I liked Perfect Chaos more than the Time Eater...despite the fact that Perfect Chaos is a Monster of the Week.

The original perfect chaos boss battle in SA1 wasnt really that impressive to me. Generations greatly improved on it and it was much more a challenge IMO

I loved the Perfect Chaos battle. Actually felt like an extension of normal Sonic gameplay as opposed to a jarringly new (and oftentimes poorly implemented) gameplay style used solely for one battle.

With Perfect Chaos, the controls were shit, it wasn't very thrilling, the monster looked downright idiotic, and it was an incredibly boring fight (if I can even call it that) in general. The original, of course. They actually make it fun in this game.

The Time Eater fight is weird to control, and I didn't really know what I was doing. I did, however, know that that was a homing shot. Could it have been better? Much. Was it good? Not really. Did it suck? No. There are worse final bosses in this series alone.

• Thumbs Up 2

With Perfect Chaos, the controls were shit, it wasn't very thrilling, the monster looked downright idiotic, and it was an incredibly boring fight (if I can even call it that) in general. The original, of course. They actually make it fun in this game.

The Time Eater fight is weird to control, and I didn't really know what I was doing. I did, however, know that that was a homing shot. Could it have been better? Much. Was it good? Not really. Did it suck? No. There are worse final bosses in this series alone.

I loved the generation's boss battle. I don't see how you can say he looks weird, now I look at the dreamcast one and im like geeze XD how bad it looks!

Perfect Dark Gaia is by far the worst final boss in the series. Extremely difficult, but for all the wrong reasons.

You're just mad because you can't Press X 60 tiems. >w>

*trollfaeces*

Edited by Modern Inferno

Will dissect that EGM review later on in the day. I will be bring my friends Statler and Waldorf from the Muppets to help me criticize the critic. Might bring Fluttershy just to have a dash of kindness. It will be glorious.

And here is a C&P review i did for the game that I posted on Facebook.

Well it's that time again. That time where I write out a review on a game I played and tag like 5-100 in it. This time it's Sonic Generations for 360.

Well to start off, this game is the series 20th anniversary game. Ya know Sonic the hedgehog is 20 this year. One more year and he'll be able to buy beer and stuff. Anyways Generations is the celebration of...yeah you get the point. The story is VERY simple. Sonic is having his birthday and some random dark creature steals all of his friends throwing them into different points in time. Now it's up to sonic.....and sonic to save them all, defeat this new creature and return life back to normal. Yes I did say sonic and sonic. As in you play as two sonics. Classic sonic, the sonic majority of us grew up with and has a very simple 2D style. And Modern sonic, the sonic that's well older and in 3D. They play fairly different. Classic sonic is basically how you remember him from the 90's. All the 2D platforming, spin dashing, speed shoes grabbing you knew and loved sooo much. While Modern Sonic is (if you've played the games) Sonic unleashed to now. He is equipped with a homing attack, light dash, wall jump and the infamous BOOOOOST that speeds the game up dramatically.

Along the way you'll learn that Classic tails, yes the little fucker that always did the dirty work for you in sonic 2 and 3 is in the game. You'll play through 3 eras that have 3 stages in each. Along with 4 boss fights and 3 rival fights. I won't spoil who those 7 are as it would ruin the surprise but lets just say Eggman (robotnik) is one of them. Back to the stages, these stages are based on what Sega thought sonic fans new and old would enjoy most. Like for instance, Green Hill zone. Yes that very first stage you played when you booted up Sonic the Hedgehog on your sega genesis. We all know you know that level music. Another stage is City escape it's from a different era. If you've played Sonic Adventure 2 on the dreamcast or Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on Gamecube, you know that stage. And if you know it, I'm 100% sure you know that legendary song. "Follow me, set me free.....". All of the stages Sega chose for this game are remakes of the original. And if you are wondering, yes Classic and Modern have their own take on all 9 stages. In total that 18 stages. Along with the stages, you get about 5 missions to go with each stage. Bringing you to a total of about 90 mission in all. Sounds like a task? I've yet to tell you. Even though there are 90 of them, some of the stages can be a real drag. "Collect "X" amount of rings and reach the goal in time". Or an example of a different type of race is, "Race your doppleganger to the end of the stage and WIN". The later is actually quite fun in my opinion.

The music in this game is pretty much a hit or miss. If you've grown with the series and one of the nine stages that were picked use to be one of your favorites, then it's a high chance you'll like the music. Like for instance City Escape's song was remixed, along with Green hill and a few infamous boss fights. If not then well there is always unlockable songs....Adding on to the unlockable stuff, there is quite a bit to get in this game. Music, art, cutscenes...ect. Plenty of stuff to do. You unlock these thing by completing the game, beating missions and collecting red rings.

Now lets talk about the gameplay. Classic sonic is straight 2D. Nothing more nothing less. He plays very similar to how he did in Sonic 2. But not all of the physics are perfect. You can spin dash down a hill, but for some reason lose momentum. Don't know how that works but ehh. Classic's spin dash is unbelievably powerful. If you need that boost of speed, spin dash is your choice. Modern is a mix of Sonic colors, a wii game that was released last year and Sonic Unleashed a multiplatform game that was released about 3 years ago. Modern sonic is a mix of 2D and 3D platforming, basically what Colors and Unleashed are. It works great, switching back and forth from 2D to 3D. Modern is like I said earlier equipped with boost, homing attack, sliding, quick step, drift and ring dash. Unlike his younger self, he no longer spin dashes. There are major improvements from Colors and Unleashed in Modern's gameplay. Sonic moves much better at high speeds, and is fairly easy to control at low speeds when platforming matters most. Each character can unlock and buy skills in the game. Some skills are trash, while others change the game. One skill is time brake, which slows time down itself. Another is power brake that stops you no matter how fast or slow you are moving. If you like to speedrun games, then you'll want to jump on leaderboards.....which this game has. Right now I rank in the top 50 in most stages. Meaning there are some brutal players out there. Graphically, this game is amazing. There is some slowdown in select areas but not game breaking.

My final rating for this game....

9 out of 10. There is no other Sonic game that comes close to beating this game.

318303_265420833497610_100000890864199_801654_597541855_n.jpg

Edited by Super Eternal
  • Thumbs Up 1

Y'know this is going to be the first time in a loooooooooong while that were going to see PC reviews! Not since Heroes i think (No i'm not counting side stories ala Riders or SEGA All Stars games)

This should get interesting. Keep an eye out for PC reviews now that the PC version is out.

Current score for Metacritic is 78 again for the PS3 version.

360 version is 77.

Edited by Mephiles550

The PC Version is so far from my knowledge superior to that of the Console Versions...I will lol if the PC version end up getting the highest scores.

Most of the technical stuff in the PC version is non existent if you have a PC that can handle it it.

Edited by V0YANT

Before I got the game I was quite annoyed that Generations has a lower score on Metacritic than Colours. Now that I have the game and have beaten it, I'm not sure I'm that angry at that any more. Strange as it may sound......maybe it deserves a lower score than Colours. I honestly didn't feel the magic I felt when playing Colours. I dunno, I cant explain it. Even with all the nostalgia going for it, I don't feel like I was enjoying it as much as Colours. Cutscenes were disappointing too. Colours had way better cutscenes imo and were way funnier. Cutscenes didn't really get good until the Time Eaters identity was revealed. I have no idea why they felt the need to have such a lack of Robotnik in the cutscenes. We didn't get any good Robotnik dialogue until the final two cutscenes. Also Sonic Team screwed up majorly with the ranking system. I know they want the games to be accessible to a wide audience, but was there really any reason they had to make S ranking so pathetically easy?

It's a good game and I'm going to continue to play the hell out of it, but I just wasn't enjoying it as much as Colours for some reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

Before I got the game I was quite annoyed that Generations has a lower score on Metacritic than Colours. Now that I have the game and have beaten it, I'm not sure I'm that angry at that any more. Strange as it may sound......maybe it deserves a lower score than Colours. I honestly didn't feel the magic I felt when playing Colours. I dunno, I cant explain it. Even with all the nostalgia going for it, I don't feel like I was enjoying it as much as Colours. Cutscenes were disappointing too. Colours had way better cutscenes imo and were way funnier. Cutscenes didn't really get good until the Time Eaters identity was revealed. I have no idea why they felt the need to have such a lack of Robotnik in the cutscenes. We didn't get any good Robotnik dialogue until the final two cutscenes. Also Sonic Team screwed up majorly with the ranking system. I know they want the games to be accessible to a wide audience, but was there really any reason they had to make S ranking so pathetically easy?

It's a good game and I'm going to continue to play the hell out of it, but I just wasn't enjoying it as much as Colours for some reason.

I sort of feel the same but I can't point my finger to why that's the case. I think part of it may be the thin story but also having just 1 real act per sonic per zone. 2 acts per sonic for 1 zone would be great as every zone feel like they're over very quick. I also am not feeling alot of the music remixes. Colors's soundtrack was overall more epic than the remixes. Planet wisp's remix also fails to sound better or even on par with the amazing orginal of colors.

I like generations alot, but like you said, i'm not getting the feeling of wow each time I stop playing while with colors I did strangely.

Edited by Djawed

To be honest I can see where people are going with colors from an overall package due to the thin story, but I still feel as if the gameplay largely makes up for It. I didn't have high expectations on the story. I haven't really cared about the story once I realized how Colors was starting to handle things.

It would be nice though to care about story aspect again though.

Edited by V0YANT

See I don't understand that notion. Generations is from a gameplay perspective, better in almost every way compared to Colours. Controls are better, level design is better. Its just a thin plot, which seems to be causing all the dismay. Which I find odd, because the writing is better than Colours, inspite of the lack of cutscenes.

I dunno, I for one loved the fact that there wasn't dialogue in every single scene. Sonic's animations in certain scenes were so brilliant, that no dialogue would have conveyed so much emotion. The only thing that was a problem, was the game's total isolation and emptyness. There was no atmosphere or sense of impending doom. There was no frame of reference.

• Thumbs Up 5

You know what kind of dissapoints me about generations..? Normally when you progress from stage to stage, every stage becomes slightly better and better. This was very much the case in colors. I remember loving the shit out of every new unlocked stage.

In sonic generations there is no raising bar. It kind of goes up and down and stays mostly in a straight line. I loved sky sanctuary as a "3rd" stage. From ther it should have only gotten better and better, yet what you get after that is city escape, a stage that feels like a second stage instead of a 5th stage. Speed highway is awesome but not on par with what it should be(but still very awesome). And then seaside hill is a bit of a mess. I also feel that the stages don't feel unique or very much from each other. Sky sanctuary again is a very good example for both modern and classic. I felt that crisis city existed mostly of flat platforming and a bad gimmick.

In short, the bar doesn't raise throughout the game. I felt like sky sanctuary was the peak and then it was just good to okay to sometimes meh. The stages could have felt alot more unique from each other.

I think that's what lacking compared to colors,,, kinda. I dunno correct me if i'm wrong but in colors I felt every new stage theme felt unique not only in aestethics. But the bar was also raised from each new stage.

Edited by Djawed

You know what kind of dissapoints me about generations..? Normally when you progress from stage to stage, every stage becomes slightly better and better. This was very much the case in colors. I remember loving the shit out of every new unlocked stage.

In sonic generations there is no raising bar. It kind of goes up and down and stays mostly in a straight line. I loved sky sanctuary as a "3rd" stage. From ther it should have only gotten better and better, yet what you get after that is city escape, a stage that feels like a second stage instead of a 5th stage. Speed highway is awesome but not on par with what it should be(but still very awesome). And then seaside hill is a bit of a mess. I also feel that the stages don't feel unique or very much from each other. Sky sanctuary again is a very good example for both modern and classic. I felt that crisis city existed mostly of flat platforming and a bad gimmick.

In short, the bar doesn't raise throughout the game. I felt like sky sanctuary was the peak and then it was just good to okay to sometimes meh. The stages could have felt alot more unique from each other.

I think that's what lacking compared to colors,,, kinda. I dunno correct me if i'm wrong but in colors I felt every new stage theme felt unique not only in aestethics. But the bar was also raised from each new stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will say this though. After bothering to play a bunch of the challenge acts, I'm VERY surprised at their quality. So far they've all been great fun except for one where you had to get Rouge to use her....wiles to distract enemies. That one was just plain stupid. As for the rest I've played they might as well have been required acts as far as I'm concerned. A lot of them feel like full fledged act 2s, act 3s etc. Maybe a lot of my disappointment is down to the fact the 2 main acts per zone are over with so quickly. Just as I'm starting to have fun it's done with. Just felt incomplete in a sense. Those mandatory short acts in addition to the big acts for each zone in Colours made the overall zone feel more fulfilling I guess. I reckon if Generations just forced me to play some of the challenge acts I'd have been more satisfied with each zone.

By the way one other thing I'd like to mention that just plain sucks in Generations. Super Sonic. I mean seriously, what the hell? Is there even a difference between classic sonic and classic super sonic besides animation? I don't even notice a speed increase, and the jump has barely changed. Then we have modern super sonic....ugh. Completely useless. Yay they added the ability to fly really fast this is awesome......oh it's over? But I had tons of rings. Stupid idea to have flying eat up rings so quickly. What's the point if I can only use it for a few seconds? It wouldn't have been so bad if flying was a separate button from boosting, but now it means you cant even boost with super sonic let alone use the cool new flying ability. Bottom line: Super Sonic sucks in this game. Worst playable Super Sonic ever.

Edited by Robuttnik
  • Thumbs Up 1

I will say this though. After bothering to play a bunch of the challenge acts, I'm VERY surprised at their quality. So far they've all been great fun except for one where you had to get Rouge to use her....wiles to distract enemies. That one was just plain stupid. As for the rest I've played they might as well have been required acts as far as I'm concerned. A lot of them feel like full fledged act 2s, act 3s etc. Maybe a lot of my disappointment is down to the fact the 2 main acts per zone are over with so quickly. Just as I'm starting to have fun it's done with. Just felt incomplete in a sense. Those mandatory short acts in addition to the big acts for each zone in Colours made the overall zone feel more fulfilling I guess. I reckon if Generations just forced me to play some of the challenge acts I'd have been more satisfied with each zone.

By the way one other thing I'd like to mention that just plain sucks in Generations. Super Sonic. I mean seriously, what the hell? Is there even a difference between classic sonic and classic super sonic besides animation? I don't even notice a speed increase, and the jump has barely changed. Then we have modern super sonic....ugh. Completely useless. Yay they added the ability to fly really fast this is awesome......oh it's over? But I had tons of rings. Stupid idea to have flying eat up rings so quickly. What's the point if I can only use it for a few seconds? It wouldn't have been so bad if flying was a separate button from boosting, but now it means you cant even boost with super sonic let alone use the cool new flying ability. Bottom line: Super Sonic sucks in this game. Worst playable Super Sonic ever.

On the note about Classic super sonic, he has more aerial control and jumps higher. That's the only thing I noticed. Modern is fun but it's so short lived that I understand why people hate this version.

On the note about Classic super sonic, he has more aerial control and jumps higher. That's the only thing I noticed. Modern is fun but it's so short lived that I understand why people hate this version.

The greatest aerial control and highest jump for classic sonic in Generations could be accessed well before unlocking Super Sonic by just buying the buying the Mega Drive controller...
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just wrote up my short second opinion Sonic Generations (PS3) review to go with Slingerland's main TSS review. Should hopefully be on the site later tonight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Worst playable Super Sonic ever.

People underestimate this Super Sonic. Yeah, its over fast, but the dude will pretty much always fly through the fastest route. I imagine this could be quite the learning tool for getting through tricky areas. He can basically skip over the most technical stretches of track. Half the battle is holding off on that trigger finger until just the right moment.