Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

VideoGamer.com Plays December 4, 2011

Martin Gaston, Previews Editor - Sonic Generations, PS3

Aah, Sonic - back again, I see. While it's a given that I'll play most Sonic games, I found Generations a real curious beast. Moments that are fantastic routinely clash with instances that simply baffle me, creating some kind of weird bipolar game that you're playing smack bang in the middle of a genuine identity crisis. It certainly doesn't help that SEGA can't seem to decide whether it prefers Classic or Modern Sonic, instead juggling the two together and creating a slightly disjointed mix that never quite sits right.

For the most part it plods along in a fairly adequate fashion but then, at times, you get a nod to something great from the series and you're hit with a glimmer of hope that reminds you what it was about Sonic that got you so excited to begin with - and then, as quickly as it appeared, it's gone.

Other games featured include Mario Kart 7, Batman: Arkham City and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

http://www.videogame...ber_4_2011.html

This isn't really a *review* per se, but Video Games AWESOME did a live stream on Generations. They played it up to City Escape, and it seems they really enjoyed it.

That was painful to watch at times. It's not that the level of skill is annoying, it's the way they both go about playing. They expect the game to just correct their mistakes. The lame jokes don't help either. Still, it was interesting to see their reactions to the game overall.

Edited by Lungo

I stopped reading after this:

They got that last year with Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 and many still moaned that it wasn’t good enough (it was).

And this:

Sonic is celebrating his 20th birthday at a picnic with the stupid, awful friends
Edited by thebluenosedreindeer
  • Thumbs Up 2

I stopped reading after this:

And this:

As Joker said in The Dark Knight..."And heeere we....go"

I'm already 2 steps ahead of you two.

Every passing moment I feel that every sign of story is going down the toilet...

At least most of the reviews are positive, hopefully Sonic Team is inspired to try even harder.

Can somebody tell these people and everyone else to get off the fucking bandwagon and be legit in the criticism for once with Sonic characters? That shit has sail so far away from 2006, they're just trying to beat a dead horse for the beating.

Seriously, if the characters had more than just 5 sentences throughout the whole game and actually did shit that was stupid and awful then I'd be saying something else, but damn this is beyond ridiculous. At least the internet is slightly following suit, but if they're going to hate something why don't they at least do it accurately instead of "Oh Sonic's friends are here. Boo!"

Exactly! They didn't even say jack squat about why Sonic's friends are stupid and annoying, they're just saying it for the fun of it... professional journalists my ASS!!!

Edited by KrazySanta14
  • Thumbs Up 5

The only time Sonic's friends annoy me in this game is during the final boss fight but calling them annoying and stupid just by them being there and you can completely avoid talking to them in the game is stupid. It's to the point now that anybody who is not Sonic is a shitty character for no actual good reason.

Edited by candied sugar plum1984

Can somebody tell these people and everyone else to get off the fucking bandwagon and be legit in the criticism for once with Sonic characters? That shit has sail so far away from 2006, they're just trying to beat a dead horse for the beating.

Seriously, if the characters had more than just 5 sentences throughout the whole game and actually did shit that was stupid and awful then I'd be saying something else, but damn this is beyond ridiculous. At least the internet is slightly following suit, but if they're going to hate something why don't they at least do it accurately instead of "Oh Sonic's friends are here. Boo!"

I'm convinced that its a trend to hate on anything Sonic related now.

For the first time in years, pressing start on the title screen led straight into playing a stage. No menus. No cutscenes.

Sonic Colours did that too...lets face it, that game is non-existent now.

Edited by KrazySanta14

Sonic Colours did that too...lets face it, that game is non-existent now.

Sonic Colours? what's that? it's eatable? *trollfaec*

In any case the comments in siliconera are SUPER positive and the article praises the game. That's one more positive for Generations. ;)

So I'm guessing this topic is pretty much nearing its end since the reviews are trickling down.

Still wanted to see if gametrailers was going to a 3ds review video.

Edited by goku262002

hey question; where do I post my own review? These are all professional.

Post it here.

Well i couldn't agree more.

Indeed it's the 1st time in history someone said that the handheld version is inferior to the console and not as good handheld game as the previous Sonic titles.

Okay; this is pretty much my own review:

Story: a little cheesy. Sonic goes through time and saves his friends and meets his younger counterpart. Then they run and restore time. I felt that there wasn't much of a story and it was hard to get and follow. I think this might be better without a story because this game felt like it had none and that the writers put it in at the last minute.

Gameplay: The gameplay for Modern Sonic was awesome, the best modern gameplay out there. The boost for a sense of speed makes racing through the stages more exciting and the moves you also gain make it easier as well. I can't say the same for classic Sonic. Poor classic Sonic. He had potential in gameplay but it seemed like the messed up. Maybe it was the leveling or what not but I felt like it was poorly executed. Games like Sonic 4 or what not did the 2-D gameplay just right with the right sense of speed and the course. Generations didn't really do a good job of doing so.

Concept: The concept of bringing back old stages and music is awesome. I even got to change the stage and challenge music; ie: I used the Sweet Mountain theme while fighting the Time Eater. I also liked playing old stages like loved; like Crisis City and Green Hill. I think that Sonic Team out did themselves in this department.

I also liked how you can use Sonic's friends to help you out in challenges and how they were optional. Rival battles were great; of course the Silver one is my favorite and the music for the Shadow one was awesome. Metal Sonic wasn't that good though.

Graphics: Graphics get better with every game (except for Sonic Adventure 1 and 2); nuff said.

Overall: All and all, this game is pretty much eh. What's special about it is that you can change the act music to ones you collected from the challenges and you can play the challenges as you please. Plus the stages. However, it wasn't really into this game. I think the game would have been more enjoyable to me if I got to play as someone other than Sonic and young!Sonic. I was hoping that the others would do something other than cheer him on.

Also the time eater was the worst boss I've played. It was very confusing and the boss itself was terrible. I spent days trying to figure out how to beat this guy. Overall I'd give this game a 6.5 for a score. (id say more on video tomorrow)

Edited by Haruhi Clause

I'm convinced that its a trend to hate on anything Sonic related now.

LOLWUT? Ever since 2006 or 2008 it was ALWAYS a trend to make fun of/criticize Sonic. Unfortunately some people still think this applies. :/

In fact, on IGN's review of both the HD and 3DS version I saw this comment:

"It's time for Sega to admit that Sonic needs to enter retirement."

Thankfully all the replies to both posts disagree.

Speaking of which IGN has their 3DS review up. 7/10.

http://ds.ign.com/ar.../1214126p1.html

Really glad that they finally saw the flaws of the inferior cash-in title and give it a lower score.

Oh and one last thing....i saw this:

"no chao garden means no purchase of this game. :( "

*facepalm*

Edited by ModernHentaiQuillScrooge
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh and one last thing....i saw this:

"no chao garden means no purchase of this game. sad.png "

*facepalm*

My God, the Chao Garden is so overrated...GO PLAY SOME POKEMON!!!! DAMN MAN! dry.png

• Thumbs Up 4