Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

To be honest I wholeheartly stand beside deadeye's side. As CCS said it's a fresh of air to see things from reviewers point of view as most of us here are fans with unconsious bias. Selfawareness and objectivity is hard to find in a fanbase sadly.

Mario has already gotten stale in the 2D department with NSMBWii, and by the looks of how people are talking about SM3DS it's getting there with 3D as well.

Mario is already getting stale. It's not a matter of time, it's happening right now.

Very true...I liked Sunshine but it was also 'meh' because it felt like a better version of Super Mario 64 with the F.L.U.D.D gimmick. Super Mario Galaxy was a massive breath of fresh air and I never experienced Mario like that, it is easily my most favorite 3D Mario game ever made.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 though, was disappointing...sure it was fun at first but after a while It felt like a massive DLC pack for Super Mario Galaxy (I'm telling you, if the Wii had a DLC service then Galaxy 1 would've gotten Galaxy 2's stages as DLC), not to mention that since it's just a C&P of Galaxy 1, it didn't have that 'WOW' factor its predecessor did. Super Mario 3D Land is better than Galaxy 2, but not by a whole lot since it's just Galaxy without the gravity gimmick and more references to the 2D Mario games gameplay-wise .

With Sonic games though...I just can't get bored of them, I don't know why but I can't put my finger on it (and no...it's not because I'm a Sonic fan, I'm no delusional fanboy as I know a crappy Sonic game when I see one). I play Sonic games in short bursts but I don't stop playing them altogether.

Well, that's my 2 pennies.

Edited by KrazySanta14

Sonic Team has a wonderful way of surprising the fuck out of you with each new Sonic game, I love that.

One minute he's a werehog, the next minute he's manipulating aliens, and the next he's traveling through time and space with his past self.

With Mario though, you ALWAYS know what to expect. Same tired story, same locales, frankly, it is getting stale. The only time they were being ambitious and trying out new things were Sunshine and Galaxy. Ever since then though....meh

Edited by Sonimas032
  • Thumbs Up 4

Sonic Team has a wonderful way of surprising the duck out of you with each new Sonic game, I love that.

One minute he's a werehog, the next minute he's manipulating aliens, and the next he's traveling through time and space with his past self.

With Mario though, you ALWAYS know what to expect. Same tired story, same locales, frankly, it is getting stale. The only time they were being ambitious and trying out new things were Sunshine and Galaxy. Ever since then though....meh

If only Sonic Team are daring enough to make the writers experiment and write a damn good story then that would be the icing on the cake! The story for Sonic Colours/Generations are not bad by not means but they're too simple.

I want a story which will be fitting for a PIXAR film for a Sonic game for example, PIXAR write family friendly stories but they're still compelling to everyone, regardless of age...Sonic Unleashed almost nailed it IMO, it wasn't OVER THE TOP like the Adventure games and Sonic 06 and it wasn't too straightforward like Colours and Generations, it had its serious moments and it also had its funny moments.

Edited by KrazySanta14
  • Thumbs Up 4

If only Sonic Team are daring enough to make the writers experiment and write a damn good story then that would be the icing on the cake! The story for Sonic Colours/Generations are not bad by not means but they're too simple.

I want a story which will be fitting for a PIXAR film for a Sonic game for example, PIXAR write family friendly stories but they're still compelling to everyone, regardless of age...Sonic Unleashed almost nailed it IMO, it wasn't OVER THE TOP like the Adventure games and Sonic 06 and it wasn't too straightforward like Colours and Generations, it had its serious moments and it also had its funny moments.

Story is kind of meaningless when the rest of the game is crap ya know?

Story is kind of meaningless when the rest of the game is crap ya know?

I was giving an example, I didn't mention anything about the gameplay side of Sonic Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was giving an example, I didn't mention anything about the gameplay side of Sonic Unleashed.

I know, I'm saying story is a small(but still important) package when compared to the actual gameplay, ya know the entire point of making the game in the first place?

Sonic Unleashed almost nailed it IMO, it wasn't OVER THE TOP like the Adventure games and Sonic 06 and it wasn't too straightforward like Colours and Generations, it had its serious moments and it also had its funny moments.

I think the reviews for this game died down.

Yep...and since Sonic CD is out, we now wait for Episode 2 news.

Edited by KrazySanta14

So....now its even lower than Colors?

Damn it all

Only by 1 point. Also, I don't want to jinx anything, but this game still has a chance to go up. I remember how Colors was stuck at 77 (the score Generations has now) until a new review was added in February, which boosted the game up to 78.

Soo...no one remembers the 82 that the PC version got? or is there not enough reviews for that to count?

I don't feel like going through the previous, what, 10 pages again, but anyone around here Spanish (or from Spain)? Then you probably know about the podcast Game Over. I can't find a link anywhere to their review of Sonic Generations, but apparently they gave it a "Run of the mill" rating, just like Sonic Colours. B( AND they had some really stupid reasons for not liking it, to the point they sounded like typical classic Sonic fanboys.

Edited by Gabz Girl

Mario has already gotten stale in the 2D department with NSMBWii, and by the looks of how people are talking about SM3DS it's getting there with 3D as well.

Mario is already getting stale. It's not a matter of time, it's happening right now.

If that's those games are your definition, then I really hope the Sonic franchise lives to grow that stale. Must be great to have a stale franchise with grade A reviews and stellar sales consistently. Heck, I wish Sonic Generations was stale enough to get as good reviews as those two stale Mario games.

• Thumbs Up 6

If that's those games are your definition, then I really hope the Sonic franchise lives to grow that stale. Must be great to have a stale franchise with grade A reviews and stellar sales consistently. Heck, I wish Sonic Generations was stale enough to get as good reviews as those two stale Mario games.

yes, because when games become stale they no longer continue to be good! that makes so much sense right.

Mario games get good reviews because they're generally non-offensive. Mario games never do anything bad, but recently they haven't been doing much good either. Galaxy 2 was the exception.

They get high scores because 1) giving a mario game a low score results in an eruption of people calling you an asshole, and 2) because they're not bad.

and still it's mostly the first one

• Thumbs Up 1

We're really close to getting a hammer for going off-topic, so let's just agree that you find the newer Mario games to be less innovative than the previous Mario games, and that's okay. I'm right there with you - they are less innovative than the likes of Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 64, and Super Mario Galaxy: Games that set the bar for 2D and 3D platformers from their point onward. But the gameplay is still solid, the sales are still high, and the reviews are still excellent. If that's what "stale" means, then...it's a silly word.

Hey, that Gamer Gaia review was pretty good.

• Thumbs Up 1