Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

I also like how he criticizes the Classics by basically saying "either go fast and get hurt all the time or go slow, so it's not Sonic". GET SOME SKILLS MAN!

From bagofgames

There’s a problem at the heart of all modern Sonic games.

3D Platformers are inherently less linear than their 2D parents, which implies an emphasis on exploration. You’re not just running from left to right on a fixed path; you can move 360 degrees! But exploration is completely the opposite of what Sonic’s about. The path from A to B has opened up- and not being stuck on a strict path means your likelihood of death rockets sky high. There are enormous drops all around you (they couldn’t be seen from a 2D perspective), and when moving at top speed it’s easy to hurl yourself into an abyss.

Sonic Generations does much to compensate for this conflict of interests. These levels are extremely linear; there are far fewer paths to choose from, and invisible walls have been put in place in several areas where difficulty may arise.

This may sound like dumbing down, but…well yes. Yes it is. But these measures are wholly necessary for this half of the game to be enjoyable. The modern sections really are just stupid fun, and if you think that’s a damning indictment, I want nothing to do with you.

These later levels forget they’re part of a Sonic game. Some modern levels slow down for a bit of precision platforming (and no, that term doesn’t exist, thank you for asking) which doesn’t work at all when you’re in the mindset of a hypersensitive supersonic hedgehog. You have to adjust the way you view the game without any kind of warning, which is the least that could have been offered.

Again Another guy that gives generations a GOOD score for the WRONG reasons. Seriously What the hell is so bad about platforming and exploration in a sonic game. They can't play them or something. Exploration and speed can work together. Finding better paths rewarding you with speed, Other areas that have more platforming sections. These guys even out loud say they like modern sonic with invisible walls,Boost to win gameplay.

He hates the upgrades why? What is so freaking bad about OPTIONAL upgrades to your character. it doesn't break the game in any way without them.

At the end he says he has to give it a cause Because of the last 4 stages(Yeah because they involve interaction with the stage and we can't have that in a sonic game. We just need Straight level the game and sonic will be all fixed. That or all 2d sonic.(Although sky sanctuary i think he liked...)

Q

Emptylifebar-Unfortunately though, despite all of this, Sonic Generations is destined to be the next on a long list of games berated by fans. This is simply because the Sonic Fanbase will never be pleased with and will never agree on what they want. They’re so split down the center that nothing Sega can ever do will ever make them truly happy and thus Sonic games will continue to receive mediocre attention at best for this very reason, even when they actually do accomplish their goal.

Someone hand me a gun....Thats all i can say.

Edited by the hedgehogs boost

HURR ME WANT SPEED SPEED SPEED!!!

OH NOES, INTRICATE PLATFORMING!! ME NO LIKE, THIS BAD! ME ONLY WANT TO GO FAST!!!

There, condensed the review for those who don't feel like reading all of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dude this guy just keeps making a fool of himeself. He basically just said:HURR DURRCLASSIC IS GOD AND MODERN SHOULDN'T BE IN 3D. His comment:

I apologize for not making this clear enough in the review- the “intricate platforming” is the GREATEST STRENGTH of the Classic acts- but it became an enormous problem in the modern portions of the game. You just CAN’T do that sort of platforming with Sonic in 3D, his speed doesn’t allow for it.

You just CAN’T do that sort of platforming with Sonic in 3D, his speed doesn’t allow for it.

Now that opinion is just BULLSHIT! It was initially like this in Sonic Unleashed because the controls weren't fit for this method, hence the Werehog. Now they CAN and SHOULD implement 3D platforming in the Modern style because Sonic Team's got the controls down to the point where the player CAN platform in 3D. Plus, the intricate platforming makes the speed much more rewarding and much more interesting to play. The Sonic series is a high-octane, high-speed platformer for a REASON.

Jeez…! :angry:

• Thumbs Up 2

At this moment, I see no point in getting pissed off with his reasoning. It's very true that every fan defines Sonic at least a little differently, want different things out of the series, and want different outcomes for it.

I mean, yeah, from our viewpoint, he's pretty incorrect. But from his, he feel like that's the way Sonic should be, wrong or not.

Ok so i got the new game informer since i have a gamestop reards account and guess what?Inthe feedack section some people decide to complain aout the generations review.Oh that would be great if their responses were good.

with every bit of respect i owe you guys, i really need to get something off my chest. why is it that whenever a actual good game like generations or a new resident evil or silent hill comes out you critisize it? yet whenever a new crappy game taht has no changes whatsoever like zelda SS Or modern warfare 3 comes out you give it a perfect score. I find your reviews horribly bias against certain games.

The other guy hasn't even played a sonic game and ays it deserves a 9 while saying he wants to buy it because of the bad things they said.

The response?

You really showed us kyle.Your plan to play a bad game because we criticized it for being bad is a bold new approach to consumerism that were sure sega will appreciate.

Oh shut it tim! I really have had enough of your dickery. Both times you had the chance to explain why you found the game bad. But instead he replies saying "Well it's bad because it's bad". Seriously if this game was in all new locations it still have modern and classic we all know the score would have changed. Classic elitist. And yes We want sega to make 3d games more like this.

Im slowly starting to hate my folks for getting me a subscription to this trash as a birthday present (seriously, they couldn't have gotten me one to Nintendo Power or....ANYTHING ELSE?).

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok so i got the new game informer since i have a gamestop reards account and guess what?Inthe feedack section some people decide to complain aout the generations review.Oh that would be great if their responses were good.

The other guy hasn't even played a sonic game and ays it deserves a 9 while saying he wants to buy it because of the bad things they said.

The response?

Oh shut it tim! I really have had enough of your dickery. Both times you had the chance to explain why you found the game bad. But instead he replies saying "Well it's bad because it's bad". Seriously if this game was in all new locations it still have modern and classic we all know the score would have changed. Classic elitist. And yes We want sega to make 3d games more like this.

Wow... What. a .Fucking. Douchebag. See, it's bullshit like this among other things is why I will NEVER sign up for an Edge card at Gamestop. I don't care if it saves me 10% off of used games, I don't want your crappy magazine anywhere near my mailbox. What a waste of trees...

• Thumbs Up 5

I got the card from GameStop but I told the guy that I will only sign up as long as I don't get GameInformer in the mail. Before I use to just throw it in the trash after I scan through it once.

Edited by sonfan1984

I'm sure they got better responses that actually broke down what they found wrong with the review and what they found good. But NO. They had to choose the ones that made the sonic fanbase look like a joke that doesn't know what their talking about so they seem like the hero's.

@GROOSE

Maybe their trying to tell you something.

Edited by the hedgehogs boost

I got the card from GameStop but I told the guy that I will only sign up as long as I don't get GameInformer in the mail. Before I use to just throw it in the trash after I scan through it once.

You should recycle them instead tongue.png

Seriously, all this Sonic hate for no good reason is getting really old really fast...no wait, it IS old. I just don't know WHY Critics can't play Sonic games for the life of them?! Instead of blaming it on their own incompetence, they, as usual, blame it on the game.

*sigh*...I give up, I'm going to solely rely on my OWN opinion about Sonic games from now on. Screw these so called 'Proffesional Reviewers'

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 4

*sigh*...I give up, I'm going to solely rely on my OWN opinion about Sonic games from now on. Screw these so called 'Professional Reviewers'

Sonic is the only game franchise in which I DON'T use reviewers for, I'd rather find out myself....or use youtube playthroughs to try to gauge it before I make a purchase. Reviewers are definitely prone to bias much like everyone else, but you would have figured they have learned how to at least TRY to be professional.

Hm...

Wonder if theres any guidelines for reviewers? It might help curb the stupidly written reviews we see.

Edited by goku262002

It's reasons like these that I try to usually stay away from judgng a game based off of what official critics like that think. Though sometimes, I do agree with them, most of the time, I don't. In cases like this, they usually just tend to pick on what they like or don't like. If their favorite stage didn't make it in or they don't like Modern Sonic's remix for Chemical Plant Zone, those clearly must be reasons to lower the games score.

Critics should be there to rate the material by the quality, not by their opinions. Yes, there is a slight framerate drop from time to time and maybe the controls will lag on you once or twice, but it's not even that huge of a deal because it barely happens, and once it's over, it's over. Why not focus on something more like the beautiful graphics, the tight controls that work most of the time (Except for the occasional lag like I mentioned, but that's far between from each other), the great level design, and how fun it is to play a game like this. That's what you should be rating a video GAME from. Some critics know what they're doing and some don't. Now, I'm not saying Sonic Generations needed a high score from everybody..but if you gave it a low score, I expect clear and reasonable descriptions as to why, same as I would if you were to give it a high score, but..to each his own, I guess.

This same thing applies for regular people as well, other individuals who play a game and judge it. It's normal for the human mind to judge things, it's what we do, but when people judge a game like this based off of their opinions, they just go by what they personally like or don't like, not by what the game actually has to offer. Like they say, "everybody's a critic."

Edited by krazystitch
  • Thumbs Up 2

1%of critics know what they're doing and 99% don't.

fixed.

Edited by Enigma2Me
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you basically want to sum up everything I said, then yes.

Edited by krazystitch

Then again it's GAMEINFORMER, I expect that kind of douchebaggery from them. They have little to no interest in Sonic anyway and the only way a Sonic game will gain their attention is if it's yet another rehash/remake/port of a classic game or a new 2D game trying to be classic and it gets bonus points if the game happens to use the classic Sonic design.

Their Generations review pretty much shows that they hate all the games or anything past 1994 even if it's good or decent and I'd knew from the start that GI will be one of those reviewers that will rate the score down for not having enough classic era stages even when it's been said many many times that there will be stages from the dreamcast and modern era.

So yeah, we know that GameInformers are a bunch of douchebags and I doubt complaining about it on the reviewers blog is going to help. They're going to ridicule the fanbase if we did that.

Edited by sonfan1984

Oh an idea, We should review the reviewer instead of complain. shove alittle bit of their douchebaggery back in their faces.

gi1e.jpg

Edited by goku262002

Taco-Man Plays Sonic Generations

It's pretty evident that he hasn't touched a Sonic game in the last 5 years. The video is mostly filled with him mindlessly bashing Sonic's friends and clips of Sonic '06 (as if they're relevant).

Edited by Neon