Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

Speaking as someone who hangs around the Escapist forums a lot, I can pretty much confirm that most everyone there has nostalgia glasses on. All the time. Easily the most cynical bunch I've seen online.

Yeah, they're in that phase of life where everything just sucks for them, eh?

I'm a regular Escapist lurker, and I've seen a lot of pessimism and cynicism there. They have a lot of knowledgable moments to be fair, but that doesn't detract them from the hat they have going for them.

Yeah, they're in that phase of life where everything just sucks for them, eh?

I'm a regular Escapist lurker, and I've seen a lot of pessimism and cynicism there. They have a lot of knowledgable moments to be fair, but that doesn't detract them from the hat they have going for them.

Exactly. While there are a fair number of members in their 20's and even 30's, it seems like most of the Escapist's members are in the high school crowd. And even the older ones tend to be pessimistic as hell. I guess it's understandable, as most people find the site through Yahtzee.

Exactly. While there are a fair number of members in their 20's and even 30's, it seems like most of the Escapist's members are in the high school crowd. And even the older ones tend to be pessimistic as hell. I guess it's understandable, as most people find the site through Yahtzee.

His misanthropy kinda spreads to other people. laugh.png

In my case, it started before I knew about Yahtzee. But at any rate, the positive light is starting to spread with only the more bitter parts staying away or acting like blockers towards others. This review is obviously not going to make that much of a impact against it, especially when you consider his review for Skyward Sword. I have NO idea how Zelda fans have reacted towards that, but the way he ripped into it makes me think they wouldn't be happy. laugh.png

Oh, the Zelda thread was complete and utter chaos. Read it at your own risk. Seriously. blink.png

While we're talking about the Escapist, I'd be curious to hear what MovieBob has to say about Generations. I know he isn't a major Sonic fan, but he spent an entire two episodes of GameOverthinker (Another show of his that isn't on The Escapist) talking about the franchise before, and if nothing else he would at least be more fair and have some interesting commentary. Then again, he also suggested killing every character aside from Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and Amy. But at least he acknowledged that some people like them, and didn't insult them in the process.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh man, I didn't know Yatzhee made a review already.

All in all, what I expected from him, a good critical look at Generations.

I dunno why, but his cynical smartass remarks and intellectual metaphors always makes me go back to his reviews, wether ya like 'em or not.

Speaking as someone who hangs around the Escapist forums a lot, I can pretty much confirm that most everyone there has nostalgia glasses on. All the time. Easily the most cynical bunch I've seen online.

Now where have I seen this before......hmm, I wonder where....

Edited by Nintendoga

At least Yahtzee put more thought into his criticisms than "

and "
The complaining about Sonic's friends and 06 was tiring, but Yahtzee is usually pretty negative, so maybe he was just scraping the bottom of the barrel for stuff to complain about. He could've complained about things that are a lot more important than general character selection and representation from a negatively recieved game, so I say we got off pretty easy with this one.

At least Yahtzee put more thought into his criticisms than "

and "
The complaining about Sonic's friends and 06 was tiring, but Yahtzee is usually pretty negative, so maybe he was just scraping the bottom of the barrel for stuff to complain about. He could've complained about things that are a lot more important than general character selection and representation from a negatively recieved game, so I say we got off pretty easy with this one.

Well then again, there's not that much to complain about in a 2 hour game, unlike normal games that have more then 8+ hours.

and before anyone starts, no, Generations isn't bad because it's short. If I'm paying $60 for a 360 game, I expect the quality and length of other 360 games. Not just the quality, with the length of a Genesis game.

Edited by Nintendoga

Oh, the Zelda thread was complete and utter chaos. Read it at your own risk. Seriously. blink.png

Oh, I'm DEFINITELY going to read it after this. :lol:

It's soo going to be worth the shock value.

While we're talking about the Escapist, I'd be curious to hear what MovieBob has to say about Generations. I know he isn't a major Sonic fan, but he spent an entire two episodes of GameOverthinker (Another show of his that isn't on The Escapist) talking about the franchise before, and if nothing else he would at least be more fair and have some interesting commentary. Then again, he also suggested killing every character aside from Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and Amy. But at least he acknowledged that some people like them, and didn't insult them in the process.

GameOverthinker probably gets one of the biggest passes in regards to things like the Characters, and he shows a lot more respect than you would see from other outlets. If anything, he probably wouldn't think too much of the characters, or may even reverse it and say that the characters probably should've done more. But I'm probably asking for too much hope here in that regard.

But we still have a long way to go in regards to the reception of the other characters. Also, I find it funny how Yahtzee put Knuckles in the same category as suck as Blaze and Rouge in his Generation's review. :lol:

But we still have a long way to go in regards to the reception of the other characters. Also, I find it funny how Yahtzee put Knuckles in the same category as suck as Blaze and Rouge in his Generation's review. laugh.png

It's not like Knuckles really do anything nowadays. Alot of the extended cast don't really do anything except for Sonic and Tails. It's a shame.

I think you guys are being a little harsh on Yahtzee. The thing is, he's never liked the 2d to 3d gameplay of the most recent Sonic games, so I'm not sure why people are expecting him to like it now just because most of the bugs got ironed out of it. I do think he missed the point of the modern levels though. He said that he was expecting Sonic Team to try and make us forget about 06 when the point was to take a level from 06 and stop it from sucking.

@CSS: Ironically, Yahtzee is nearly 100% correct on his Skyward Sword review. Everything he stated, I had previously pointed out to myself as well.

I'm not sure why people hate Yahtzee and see him as stupid. He's actually a really intelligent reviewer who takes the problems of a game and exaggerate them with his jokes. My favorite review for him thus far is the Infamous vs Prototype review.

In any case I haven't watched the Generations review, but I know this show enough to know how this is going to go.

GameOverthinker probably gets one of the biggest passes in regards to things like the Characters, and he shows a lot more respect than you would see from other outlets. If anything, he probably wouldn't think too much of the characters, or may even reverse it and say that the characters probably should've done more. But I'm probably asking for too much hope here in that regard.

And I'll go ahead and say I believe the GameOverthinker is the biggest piece of shit on the internet right now. He was so good until he got on Screw Attack, then he faltered, but was still good. His list to do to save Sonic though is exactly what I thought it'd be, though I was hoping for more. However, it completely blew me out the window when he suggested to let Robotnik experiment on Sonic as a explanation to why Sonic has his speed.

But the real reason why I began to dislike him was his Heavens to Metroid episode where he basically called all players who disliked Samus' potrayal in Other M as Japanaphobes and said Samus had a personality of a brick originally. That episode specifically clued me in that TGO in reality of all his fame and glory uses the Appeal to Authority Fallacy to make his statements sound more credible, and it takes having a strong knowledge in a subject his talking about to know he's full of shit most of the time. The only thing I took from TGO is whenever someone talks to me, I always keep an open mind about it and do my own reasearch if I'm that interested in it.

@CSS: Ironically, Yahtzee is nearly 100% correct on his Skyward Sword review. Everything he stated, I had previously pointed out to myself as well.

Eh, so it looks like Zelda fans are similar to us in some ways...aside from their games getting stellar reviews.

I'm not sure why people hate Yahtzee and see him as stupid. He's actually a really intelligent reviewer who takes the problems of a game and exaggerate them with his jokes. My favorite review for him thus far is the Infamous vs Prototype review.

People probably hate him because they completely miss the point that he exaggerates flaws on purpose. I look at him as the kind of guy that is jokingly hard to please, and if you actually manage to make a game where he enjoys and can't find many flaws to exaggerate then you've made a hell of an accomplishment.

That's why I can't hate his review of the games I like, because he does that with almost every other game he plays and is funny to boot.

And I'll go ahead and say I believe the GameOverthinker is the biggest piece of shit on the internet right now. He was so good until he got on Screw Attack, then he faltered, but was still good. His list to do to save Sonic though is exactly what I thought it'd be, though I was hoping for more. However, it completely blew me out the window when he suggested to let Robotnik experiment on Sonic as a explanation to why Sonic has his speed.

But the real reason why I began to dislike him was his Heavens to Metroid episode where he basically called all players who disliked Samus' potrayal in Other M as Japanaphobes and said Samus had a personality of a brick originally. That episode specifically clued me in that TGO in reality of all his fame and glory uses the Appeal to Authority Fallacy to make his statements sound more credible, and it takes having a strong knowledge in a subject his talking about to know he's full of shit most of the time. The only thing I took from TGO is whenever someone talks to me, I always keep an open mind about it and do my own reasearch if I'm that interested in it.

That's interesting. I didn't like Samus' portrayal in the game either, but I was never against giving her a voice or more personality if it looked lacking.

Interesting that TGO decide to make an attack like that.

Well then again, there's not that much to complain about in a 2 hour game, unlike normal games that have more then 8+ hours.

and before anyone starts, no, Generations isn't bad because it's short. If I'm paying $60 for a 360 game, I expect the quality and length of other 360 games. Not just the quality, with the length of a Genesis game.

Interestingly, if you remove ALL the filler from Unleashed, it's really not much longer. Sonic Generations has 99 levels and 7 bosses. The main difference is how much filler there is and how much you're tasked to complete before you can win the game.

Like i said its what i expected from him so i didn't expect him to have his mind blown or anything. its not as ripped apart as his unleashed review was (and he was basically wishing death on SEGA at that point). did he ever explain why he never did a colors review (even though he said he did like colors in that generations review)?

Interesting that TGO decide to make an attack like that.

It's not completely without warrant. A lot of fans and gamers in general believed Samus was portrayed the way she was because Japan stereotypically has a thing for submissive women, and it's constantly supported by the large amounts of anime where the woman is vulnerable a lot of the time until the plot demands for her to change. Like Sonic, Metroid is a western success, but does poorly in the Japanese market due to different tastes. It also doesn't help that the Director/Creator of Metroid directly stated that he had never thought of a personality for Samus before Other: M, so it's obvious he never took into account of the previous games and just made her the stereotypical anime woman.

TGO was basically trying to attack that specific point, but he worded it so badly that it made it seem like he attacked all gamers. Saying Samus had no personality beforehand though is 100% incorrect. Even if you don't take into account of her actions, Metroid Fusion clearly has dialogue with Samus monologuing where they gave her more depth.

• Thumbs Up 2

His list to do to save Sonic though is exactly what I thought it'd be, though I was hoping for more. However, it completely blew me out the window when he suggested to let Robotnik experiment on Sonic as a explanation to why Sonic has his speed.

Actually, I rather liked his story idea. It certainly gives Tails, Knuckles, and Amy relevance to the story, way more so then anything SEGA has recently done with them. I don't want to see the franchise rebooted into it or anything like that, but as an alternate universe spin-off of some sort? I'd play that.

Gotta love how all the really positive reviews come when all the hype for review scores of the game has died down...

• Thumbs Up 5

Yahtzee posted his blog post which usually elaborates on his previous review, but this time he just made jokes about Sonic fans, and used All Stars Racing (?) as an example of why Classic Sonic should be afraid of his future. Then he spends the rest plugging one of his games.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/9378-Sonic-the-Poacher

I thought the comments section was full of people that said "Well i thought the game was pretty fun." I never saw anyone say "Well what did you expect?" Also why mention sasasr? That game was looked upon in a positive light by almost everyone. Why not mention 06,black knight, sonic heroes(ps2)?