Awoo.

Patticus

Fucking sweet, saw the 3 trailers yesterday the moment they came out.

Trevor is boss. Imagine that Catalina(from SA) and Gran Torino(or Jack Nicholson) had a kid. You get Trevor.

Michael reminds me of... Charlie Sheen... a little. But much more angry hehe

And Franklin, yep, he's CJ. I saw some Grove Street graffiti on his trailer, so who knows? The guys were also wearing green, it seems obvious.

Edited by Jango

If Grove Street is in the game, it'll be really interesting because of the implications that will have on the universe... though it's easily handwaved by saying that GSF exists in both timelines.

Overall looks pretty nice. Three different characters, presumably all with their own stories... this is going to have a lot of replay value, I can tell already.

As one of the many who enjoy San Andreas the most, seeing such blatant Grove Street-Ballas references makes me smile inside.

The reason for the delay was because the game got a massive overhaul.

We got a ton of new info today. In spoiler because it's long.

Here's the main new info that was revealed.
Source is here, (it also has links to other sites that also have info probably not listed here.)

Features

• You can buy property; houses, garages, businesses and marinas can all be purchased for extra revenue sources.
  • You can pick up hitchikers, do stunt jumps and flying challenges, take part in yoga, golf, tennis, bike races and triathlons.
  • iFruit, the game's new phone, can be used to snap pictures and upload them to Rockstar's Social Club
  • The phone also has apps. In addition to the camera there is internet, contacts, social media, a calendar, and a replay missions app. There are three more Rockstar hasn't yet revealed.
  • A combat roll has been introduced for moving between cover
  • Liquor store and ATM robberies is possible.
  • Side missions will be making a return. One would involve Michael in Vinewood Boulevard racing a starlet away from the paparazzi.
  • Citizens will react to what you do, and if they see you robbing someone they could alert the police, film you, or even try to take you down themselves.
  • Hunting animals.

Customization

• Player customization - tattoos, haircuts, clothing
  • Vehicle customization - paintjobs, wheels, window tints, grills, spoilers, along with robust performance upgrades to suspension, engine, brakes, and more that make meaningful changes to the way vehicles feel and handle
  • Weapon customization - Silencers, scopes, extended mags, laser sights, and more

Police Encounters:

• The classic wanted system will be making a return - with five stars instead of the usual six.

Skill Categories:They make the police encounters sound better, too. In this new game, we can still try to escape the circular zone that flashes on the mini-map when cops come after our malcontent protagonist(s). But, this time, we'll be able to try to hide inside that alarm radius, if we'd like. The cops will use a line-of-sight system, so they won't just magically know where you are. If they have a helicopter in the sky, they'll be able to see plenty. And you'll see them use hand signals to communicate what they're doing.
- Kotaku

• Each character is rated in a series of skill categories: Stamina, Shooting, Strength, Stealth, Flying, Driving, Mechanic, Lung Capacity.
  • Each character has a 'Special': Franklin is an adrenalin junkie and can slow down time while driving; Trevor has a frenzy mode, where he does double damage, takes half damage, and has a unique melee attack; Michael has his own version of bullet time
  • Specials are governed by a meter, it drains after use and recharges slowly
  • Other skill categories are shared and can be improved by completing missions, side missions, activities and more
  • Trevor will always be the best pilot, Franklin will always be the best driver but each can improve their proficiency a little
  • One of the skill categories is stealth, suggesting players will be able to take different approaches to missions

Map

• Similar to previous GTAs, the map isn't landlocked (surrounded by water).
  • The map 3.5 times the size of Red Dead Redemption in terms of playable area above ground. Five times if you count underwater area.
  • The geographical scope is huge and spans:
  • Mountains
  • Rivers
  • Lakes
  • Military bases
  • Farmland
  • Desert
  • Dense urban environments...and more
  • An underwater ecosystem exits, "the sea is teaming with fish and sharks"
  • A deer and a wildcat were spotted in the mountains.
  • Treasures can be found underwater, but NPCs will be looking for them too
  • Shipwrecks, sharks, hidden treasures and more could be found underwater
  • The entire world is populated with fitting wildlife and inhabitants unique to specific areas

Heists/missions

• 'Mini heists' are used to teach the player about preparation. Players must secure vehicles, outfits, masks, the getaway vehicle.
  • These build up to a bigger heist where the execution must be flawless. They'll require the right crew (which you can recruit) and players will have to decide on the cheap option, which results in less skilled people, or paying more for skilled crew members that will take a larger cut of the money.
  • These additional characters will be able to specialize in different areas such as wheelman, gunman, technician, and so on.
  • Hiring the same crew members across several heists (assuming they survive) will allow their skills to improve
  • There will be visual and audio alerts from your other characters so you're not completely caught off guard in case things get hairy.
  • You can attack targets by stealth or brute force. This will affect the content of the heist.
  • A huge payout to split between the crew
  • After-action report that tallies your total cash haul, each surviving member's cut, and any profit you managed to earn

Refinements to combat:

• Fluidly run and gun from the hip while still maintaining complete control of the reticule
  • 'Combat jog' that allows you to move at high speeds with your weapon out, but not raised.
  • Camera pulled back when zoomed in over the shoulder to open up players' field of vision
  • Combat roll to move strategically from cover and evade incoming fire
  • Reticule switches from white to red to identity an enemy
  • Tiny 'X' flashes over the reticule when targeted enemy is killed
  • Variable targeting options including free aim, soft lock, and hard lock (similar to Max Payne 3)
  • Smoother transitions when moving in and out of cover

General

• The character selection wheel is split into four triangles: Franklin, Trevor, Michael, and your multiplayer character
  • Some boats will include gear such as wetsuit, flippers and tanks for diving
  • GTAV rewards exploration, there's no signposting underwater, so you'll have to find the treasure the hard way
  • Dives won't offer massive payoffs, but will "help grease the wheels"
  • Pressing Down on the d-pad will drop the play in and out of multiplayer.
  • There are subtle differences in the way each character moves to reflect their personalities; Michael is slower and deliberate.
  • Rockstar says there will be five times as many pedestrians in GTAV as there were in Grand Theft Auto IV
  • There's a "crazy level of detail": Tourist buses can be boarded for a tour of celebrity homes, film posters are plastered on the walls, men in comedy costumes try to corner you outside the Cathay Theatre, including the Superman-like Impotent Rage and Master Chief riff, Space Ranger.
  • You can switch between Franklin, Trevor and Michael during a cutscene, manually, or automatically when the AI takes control for you
  • Each character has a job to do, how much you switch yourself in or let the computer do, is entirely up to you
  • If you die the game reloads to the last checkpoint, even if two other characters are alive
  • Although it's up to the player when they switch, dialogue will suggest ideal moments. For example, when Michael and Franklin are being overwhelmed by snipers, Michael might ask for Trevor's help.
  • There is a wider field of vision, and players can run-and-gun
  • There are some restrictions to character switching, such as how you can't abandon a character while you have a Wanted Level. Lose the heat first! The character selection meter will let you know when you can swap out.
  • Michael's obsession with classic films translates into in-game set pieces based on real world movies. In the demo the three characters mount a heist very similar to the one from Heat.

Fun Facts:

• Franklin alone has more textures than the entire ped population of GTA: San Andreas
  • Largest selection of vehicles in any GTA game
  • Largest selection of weapons in any GTA game

Also opposed to what was said earlier, the game actually has tons and tons of minigames, instead of only having a few.

This is amazing.

Also a little backstory on our main protagonists

All three characters have their own lives, own circle of friends, enemies, associates, and hobbies and they'll be living out their life while not in the player's control. When off mission, you can play as any of these characters or even just focus on one the entire time. It's up to you, but you'll want to play as all three if you want to experience everything possible as there will be things that only certain characters can do.

Franklin – Young, smart and ambitious, Franklin is comfortable working on either side of the law. Franklin works with his friend, Lamar repossessing cars for an unscrupulous Armenian car dealer by the name of Simeon Yetarian. His work there brings him into a chance encounter with Michael. Franklin is a very able driver and loves his cars. Franklin lives in South Los Santos.

Trevor -- A sociopathic ex-army pilot who’s not without some charm. Trevor and Michael worked together on criminal jobs prior to the events of the game, but that was a long time ago. Trevor now lives in a trailer amongst the meth dealers and biker gangs out by the Alamo Sea, in Blaine County.

Michael - Once one of the most wanted men in America thanks to his reputation as a highly skilled bank robber, Michael is long retired, living in an informal witness protection program afforded to him by his powerful contacts inside federal agencies. Despite his success, Michael is miserable: he’s in a loveless marriage to his wife Amanda and he’s disconnected from his two spoiled children, Tracey and Jimmy. On the surface, Michael appears to have everything, but instead he’s bored, frustrated and seething. Michael’s only outlets are spending his days drinking whiskey, watching old Vinewood action movies, the occasional visit to his therapist – and ultimately, returning to the life of crime that brought him to this position in the first place. Michael lives in a well-appointed mansion, complete with swimming pool and tennis court in the upscale neighborhood of Rockford Hills.

All three characters have their own lives, own circle of friends, enemies, associates, and hobbies and they'll be living out their life while not in the player's control. When off mission, you can play as any of these characters or even just focus on one the entire time. It's up to you, but you'll want to play as all three if you want to experience everything possible as there will be things that only certain characters can do.

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 6

Okay so when Rockstar said the game "wasn't up to their standards", instead of meaning "we need to polish a bit" they meant "this game needs to be a hundered times more awesome than it is right now or we suck". This game is amazing. How does this game keep getting more and more amazing! Everything sounds fantastic! Property buying, treasure hunting, skills like in SA, specials and man oh man a wanted system with a line of sight mechanic. Yes! I know some people were disappointed when R said they wouldn't be in but people were still hyped. This game, man, this game. Rockstar is amazingly awesome for going the extra mile for what was basically their own personal standards.

You know how we say 'this reminds me of GTA: SA?

Well...

Our memories are too kind on this game =p

• Thumbs Up 2

So the first GTA game to have killer sharks. Oh this'll be good. The San Andreas folk who wanted JAWS finally got what they wanted.

Overall, sounds awesome. I love how games that come out later on a console can do so much more due to the better technology... compare how San Andreas had so much more than Vice City, and this looks like it's going to vastly outperform GTA V and stretch the console to its full capabilities.

I'm digging how property has returned; I hated the property system of GTA IV with so much passion. I want safehouses on every corner.

Praising the classic Wanted system. I hated so much about what GTA IV changed, and I'm really glad they're going back to a lot of the things I enjoyed about San Andreas.

Overall sounds like we're looking at San Andreas: the Remake in terms of capabilities and feel. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Biggest letdown? No gang wars! I missed turning half of Los Santos green. :(

You know what'd be cool? People have been talking a lot and making hoaxes about Big Foot and Leather Face that they should put some easter egg to troll people about it.

You know what'd be cool? People have been talking a lot and making hoaxes about Big Foot and Leather Face that they should put some easter egg to troll people about it.

Since it looks like we're given given a SA remake that will be to IV what SA was to VC, I see no reason not to include something like that...

I mean, it can't be any more terrifying than being savagely mauled by JAWS while looking for things underwater.

Man, I remember the shark myth from SA. I spent countless hours looking for it under the sea. I still hear my cousin yelling: -LOOK IT'S THERE!, but it was always a dolphin. Years later I discoreved that the shark model actually existed, but he was never used. I'm glad he will finally have his revenge in V. And I wonder if we will be able to shoot underwater. Perhaps the scuba comes with a harpoon?

Edited by Jango

Guess what time is it? YEP, TIME FOR SCREENSHOTS:

DAMN.

1280.jpg

Looks familiar?

1280.jpg

See the rest of them here.

• 2 weeks later...

GTA V Special and Collector's Edition:

We are proud to announce full details of the Special Edition and Collector's Edition of Grand Theft Auto V - which will be available for worldwide pre-order starting today from participating retailers.

As an additional bonus, those who pre-order any edition of Grand Theft Auto V (including the Special Edition, Collector’s Edition or the standard retail edition) between now and September 17th will get access to pilot the Atomic Blimp in-game vehicle.

actual_1369261225.jpg

High above the streets of Los Santos floats the Atomic Blimp, hawking Los Santos’ finest tire company (whose products are available in any LS Customs garage). Pre-order now to gain the ability to pilot the most iconic and leisurely aircraft in the Los Santos skies (please note that all pre-orders made before today will also get access to the blimp).

The Grand Theft Auto V Special Edition includes:

• Full retail copy of Grand Theft Auto V

• Collectible SteelBook with Exclusive Artwork
    This special SteelBook features double-sided, never-before-seen artwork of Michael, Trevor and Franklin. Custom color and metallic treatments bring out the detail of the artwork created exclusively for this SteelBook.  

• Blueprint Map
    This exclusive, additional 21.5” x 26.75” map displays a blueprint view of Los Santos and Blaine County. Cryptic markings indicate locations for fast cash and other points of interest for the up-and-coming entrepreneur.  

• Special Ability Boost
    Michael, Franklin and Trevor each have a unique special ability. With this boost, the special ability bar will generate 25% faster.

• Stunt Plane Trials
    Single player Stunt Plane Trials let you take on additional aerial challenges spread throughout Los Santos and Blaine County.

• Bonus Outfits, Tattoos and More
    Michael, Franklin and Trevor get bonus outfits in their wardrobes, character specific tattoos at tattoo parlors, and special deals from shopkeepers across Los Santos and Blaine County.

• Additional Weapons
    When visiting Ammunation stores in single player, merchants will have special weapons in their inventory available for free: the Pistol .50, Bullpup Shotgun and melee Hammer.

actual_1369261683.jpg
The Grand Theft Auto V Special Edition. Click here for more detail.

The Grand Theft Auto V Collector’s Edition includes all the contents of Grand Theft Auto V Special Edition as described above plus: 

• Grand Theft Auto V Security Deposit Bag with Logo Key
    Inspired by the heists in Grand Theft Auto V, this custom 10.75” x 8.5” money bag features a pop-up style lock and laser cut logo key to secure important items. The reverse side features a pressed Rockstar Games logo on the security mount with a framed ID window.

• Grand Theft Auto V New Era 9FIFTY™ Snapback Cap
    This exclusive New Era 9FIFTY™ cap features an embroidered Los Santos logo on the front, a stitched, black Rockstar Games logo on the wearer’s left side, a Grand Theft Auto ‘V’ logo applique on the opposite side, and snapback closure for an adjustable fit.

• Custom Characters for Grand Theft Auto Online
    Get classic Grand Theft Auto characters to use within the Grand Theft Auto Online Character Creation System.

• Unique Vehicles and Garage Property
    Players will instantly receive a garage to store custom vehicles. In single player, the garage will be stocked with the 1930’s style Hotknife hotrod and the CarbonRS sports bike. In Grand Theft Auto Online, players will get the high-end Khamelion electric car.

actual_1369261754.jpg
The Grand Theft Auto V Collector’s Edition. Click here for more detail.

The Grand Theft Auto V Collector’s Edition comes packaged in a premium outer box featuring a foil embossed Grand Theft Auto V logo on the top, finished with a matte, scuff-resistant film lamination, housing all of the contents. 

The Grand Theft Auto V Collector’s Edition and Grand Theft Auto V Special Edition are the perfect way for fans to celebrate the return of GTA, with special digital content and exclusive Grand Theft Auto V physical items. Grand Theft Auto V Collector’s Edition will retail for $149.99, while the Grand Theft Auto V Special Edition will retail for $79.99. All versions are now available for pre-order until September 17, 2013 while supplies last.

WANT.

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 1

All that extra content looks great! I most likely won't be getting these special editions though, I hope Rockstar will eventually release them individually in the near future.

Also, OMFG WE CAN DRIVE A BLIMP NOW?! GOTY FOREVER!

Edited by TheCakeMiester

Got a text from GAME this evening informing me that the GTA V Special Edition is exclusive to them and costs £64.99. It requires a £10 deposit.

Yeah I read about the editions this morning tomorrow I am switching my pre-order from standard to collectors. Can't fucking wait for this game man.

New screenshot of the submarine.

gta5-screen.jpg

It's interesting to notice the fact that this particular screenshot hasn't been edited for promotional purposes (the GTA V logo is missing from the corner, unlike the other screenshots).

It looks like normal gameplay but without the HUD.

11th June update

9 new GTA V screenshots!

1280.jpg

gtav_1231.jpg

gtav_1221.jpg

gtav_1211.jpg

gtav_1201.jpg

gtav_1191.jpg

gtav_1181.jpg

gtav_1171.jpg

gtav_1161.jpg

There's also some details on the recently announced PS3 bundle here.

Edited by TheCakeMiester

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the double post, BUT GET HYPED!

“Will we ever see some GTA V gameplay?”  – @ASTR4Lx

Yes. Soon (or in September if you don’t want to see it before you play it… it’s up to you) – the first Official Gameplay Video is on its way...

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/50871/asked-answered-gtav.html

They also released a new screenshot which perfectly captures everyones reaction to this:

actual34894374.jpg

Woah! They're actually gonna give us a gameplay video soon? That's really fucking rad! I don't think they've ever done that before with a GTA game.

There's also some more interesting tidbits within this Q&A

>Each of the 3 protagonists (Michael, Franklin and Trevor) have their own missions and side activities that only they can do.
>Some missions may require one of the protagonists, two or even all three of them.
>You can play as Trevor, go find Micheal and hang out with him or Franklin, or annoy them as you wish.
>You cannot kill one of the protagonists while playing as another (ie. You can't kill Michael while playing as Trevor or Franklin, and vice versa)
>Every edition of GTA V will include a blueprint map of Los Santos and Blaine County, but the Special and Collectors edition maps will include hints to find secrets in the game.
>Since Xbox 360 discs have a limit of 8GB of space on one disc, the 360 version of the game will come with 2 discs. One that you will need to install game data to the hard drive, and the other to play the game. PS3 versions will only need one disc.
>GTA V gameplay and multiplayer info coming very soon.
>PC version is being considered, but not in full development.
>Rockstar is finding a way to stop hackers and modders in multiplayer lobbies to keep the game fun and fair.
>There will be NO DIFFERENCE in gameplay on 360 and PS3
>No delays baby! This ain't GTAIV, this is GTA fucking V

• Thumbs Up 1

Aaaaaaaaaaaah shit I'm so hypeddddddd

They've never done this shit before, so fucking excited.