Awoo.

Patticus

Not surprised, but let's be honest here. Does it really deserve a 10?

I've watched a lot of gameplay leaks and I'm not really too keen on what they've changed from IV. But I'll be the judge of that when I get my hands on a copy in the next 9 hours.

So there's something that happens in this game that's no doubt going to cause huge controversy. Nothing new for the series. There is an article from Eurogamer talking about it. Spoilers of course.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-16-is-the-most-disturbing-scene-in-gta5-justified

Edited by BlueTidalGamer

I've got a huge list of reviews and summaries here

• Polygon9.5 - Rockstar has expanded and improved upon so much of what's special about video games as mainstream spectacles, from the playful use of characters to the refined take on world design. The developer's progress makes the aspects of the game left in cultural stasis - the poorly drawn women, the empty cynicism, the unnecessarily excessive cruelty - especially agitating.
  • GiantBomb5/5 - Grand Theft Auto V's unique storytelling meshes well with standard GTA-style action, giving you multiple perspectives on some fantastic criminal activities.
  • TheSixthAxis10/10 - GTA V doesn't break new ground. It's not going to change the world. It is, after all, the fifth numbered title in a well loved series and for the most part it is simply delivering more of what the developers must know the fans want to see. To expect otherwise is idiocy. But it is engaging, compelling, interesting, clever, funny and packed with things to do and see. It's a personal story, or several personal stories, set in a magnificent world that ebbs and flows with thousands of people who all seem to be living their own personal stories. It's a genuine landmark event in the history of videogames and it's one that you definitely shouldn't miss.
  • Joystiq4.5/5 - Grand Theft Auto 5 is an ambitious game, attempting to meld three very different characters together to tell one encompassing story of survival in what amounts to the worst place in America. That story stumbles, but the open-ended gameplay remains a showpiece for the vast amount of content that can be poured into a virtual world.
  • IGN10 - Preposterously enjoyable, breathtaking in scope and bitingly funny, GTA V is a landmark game.
  • Official Xbox 360 Magazine UK10/10 - Paired with storyline missions you actually want to replay - not something that could be said of many of GTA IV's - and you're looking at something that could hold up the next console generation all by itself, even without the considerable potential of GTA Online, arriving as the fourth option on the character-select wheel in two weeks' time. Rockstar's Xbox 360 swansong is probably the console's greatest technical achievement, and as such it's unmissable.
  • Digital Spy5/5 - With a great cast, a huge list of missions and activities, some novel new gameplay additions and one of the most stunning environments we've ever explored, Grand Theft Auto 5 is a masterpiece and a hugely impressive technological achievement.
  • Xbox360Achievement100 - It's been more than five years since Grand Theft Auto IV, but Grand Theft Auto V is most definitely worth the wait. Memorable missions, barnstorming heists, amusing side objectives and an almost impossibly immersive world to explore, make for the best Grand Theft Auto since Vice City and San Andreas. Rockstar has ensured that we'll get to see out this generation with a bang, and Grand Theft Auto V is the perfect swansong. It's a work of unbridled, flawless genius and a game that demands to be played to death.
  • Edge10 - No one makes worlds like Rockstar, but at last it has produced one without compromise. Everything works. It has mechanics good enough to anchor games of their own, and a story that is not only what GTA has always wanted to tell but also fits the way people have always played it. It's a remarkable achievement, a peerless marriage of world design, storytelling and mechanics that pushes these ageing consoles to the limit and makes it all look easy. As we stand on the brink of a new generation, GTAV sends an intimidating message to the rest of the industry. Beat that.
  • Eurogamer9/10 - GTA5 may not be the Hollywood-beating crime story it wants to be, then, but it's the best video game it's ever been, and I'll take that.
  • VideoGamer10/10 - Both 'the best of' and the best offering in the entire series, GTA 5 easily lives up to the hype. The ultimate swansong for this console cycle, but also a game that'll cast a long shadow over the next one too.
  • OPM10/10 - Personal favourites will persist, but it's hard to put anything else on top of the pile. Everything you've ever wanted a GTA game to be, and a whole lot more. Consistently hilarious, constantly compelling and combining never-before-seen scale and ambition. This is going to make next-gen look bad for a long time to come.
  • KotakuYes - That's GTA V at its best-excelling at what you thought GTAs were supposed to do, while heading for the next impossibly high peak.
  • Destructoid9/10 - Grand Theft Auto V is both a reflective and deflective game, diving into the heart of the GTA series with more than a few subtle things to say about itself. Michael is tired, and old, and wants to change, but he can't, and eventually he grows to accept and even enjoy that. Franklin is smarter than his surroundings, dreaming big but held back by old fashioned ideas. Trevor is hilarious, surprising, and a disgusting degenerate. All three characters, in their respective ways, feel representative of the Grand Theft Auto series as a whole, and contribute to making GTA V what it is -- the ultimate culmination of Rockstar's beloved and despised series. Personally, I think that's a fine thing to be.
  • GameSpot9.0 - Grand Theft Auto V is an outrageous, exhilarating, sometimes troubling crime epic that pushes open-world game design forward in amazing ways.
  • GameInformer9.75 - Grand Theft Auto V has the lofty expectations of living up to the pedigree of its critically acclaimed predecessors. Rockstar Games deserves credit for pushing the boundaries of its flagship franchise yet again with improved controls, great mission variety, and the most jam-packed open world I've ever visited. The narrative fails to match the impact John Marston or Niko Bellic's tales, but the colorful characters kept me interested in the story nonetheless. Like the golden state it parodies, Grand Theft Auto V is filled with beautiful scenery, a wealth of activities, and the promise of fortune.
  • GameReactor10 -Even as we type this our foot's tapping to wrap up so we can jump back in; go dirt bike riding across the mountains. Steal a cargo plane and go skydiving. Hunt deer in the forest, try and track down the perfect motorcycle. Even just park our car near the beach and toggle through the radio stations.
  • God Is A Geek10/10 - Grand Theft Auto V is a culmination of the current generation; it's a summation of everything we've seen in the last eight years, a love letter, if you like, to the 360 and the PS3. Who knows if a next-gen edition will follow, but as it stands this is the perfect swan-song for this console generation.
  • NowGamer9.5 - GTA is back on form, providing an open world you want to entertain yourself in and some of the series' best missions.
  • Mirror5/5 - For once, it's safe to believe the hype: as we stand on the cusp of a new era in console gaming, GTA V isn't just the greatest entry in one of its great series, it's also one of the entire medium's most accomplished and amazing achievements to date.
  • The Escapist3.5/5 - A technical achievement, GTAV's driving and shooting gameplay in an excellently crafted open world is marred by a script that presents despicable characters as the protagonists.
  • Stuff5/5 - Grand Theft Auto 5 aims ridiculously high and despite those ethical missteps manages to deliver on all of its towering ambitions. It's a game that pushes the boundaries not only of what's possible in open world games, but what's possible on the current generation of consoles. In GTA 5, the incredibly detailed world, compelling characters and varied missions combine to create an experience that will live on in your memory long after you've finished playing - and we expect you'll be playing for a long, long time.
  • The Telegraph5/5 - Grand Theft Auto V is still an extraordinary technical achievement and a fabulous piece of entertainment. I'm not sure every aspect is an unqualified success, and its violent bitterness can be a little wearying, but this is a bold and scintillating full-stop to an explosive generation of video games. It dares the rest of the blockbuster industry to try and match its scope and, even with new consoles on the horizon, it may be some time before anything steps up.
  • GamesRadar5/5 - It's a remarkable example of open-world gaming at it's finest, and while it doesn't reinvent the genre or do anything all that new, it does so much so well that it's hard to find flaws in Rockstar's massive blockbuster.

I've got a huge list of reviews and summaries here

tumblr_mkhjq1oAfX1ri08goo1_400.gif

Mother of God, that's a lot of 10s there.

Game of the Year? Game of the year.

• Thumbs Up 2

...If they told me that the characters each had their own abilities before, then I wouldn't have ragged on this game for being a borefest. I honestly just want a character that isn't just so mundane. However, I fully expect oncoming DLC in the form of new characters with their own story arcs and abilities(Like Parkour...that would be awesome if a character could just scale a building because fuck it) and I would gladly reward Rockstar my money for taking enough risks with this game. So color me impressed...

However, I fully expect oncoming DLC in the form of new characters with their own story arcs

These 3 characters from what I can tell DO have their own story arcs that just intertwine. Michael is having a midlife crisis, Franklin wants to do better jobs than just being a gangbanger and Trevor... I'm not sure about as they haven't really said. Each character also has their own cutscenes and stuff but I haven't actually played it myself so don't take my word on it.

They have their own storylines that intertwine. Says so in the gametrailers review. What I'm saying that I would not be surprised if they added more characters for DLC.

So I was thinking about getting the game, however there's some things that worry me with the overal tone of the game. It seems very......I dunno....explicit, in fact, IGN's review said tha there's a moment where you are forced to actively take part in torture, and apparently the whole thing with prostitution has become extremely explicit. I know the game is an 18+, but still. Now I'm going to be honest here; I'm 15, I shouldn't really be playing this game, but I'm usually very mature with games like this, and never do they disturb me in any way. But to tell the truth, what I've heard about GTA V disturbs me. Are what the reviewers are saying abut the inappropriate content purely exaggerations, or will the game actually be over the top inappropriate?

So me and The Eleventh Doctor have an idea 

GTA V BUS ROADTRIP!

"If you look straight ahead you will see your fellow citizens getting a close look at our many vehicles."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozjN_bmfI5c

• Thumbs Up 1

So I was thinking about getting the game, however there's some things that worry me with the overal tone of the game. It seems very......I dunno....explicit, in fact, IGN's review said tha there's a moment where you are forced to actively take part in torture, and apparently the whole thing with prostitution has become extremely explicit. I know the game is an 18+, but still. Now I'm going to be honest here; I'm 15, I shouldn't really be playing this game, but I'm usually very mature with games like this, and never do they disturb me in any way. But to tell the truth, what I've heard about GTA V disturbs me. Are what the reviewers are saying abut the inappropriate content purely exaggerations, or will the game actually be over the top inappropriate?

The torture thing is true. Not sure about the prostitution, but there is a scene where you can actually stop a woman from being raped. Not sure if it's optional though.

Not sure if this has been posted... But Xbox 360 owners might want to read this...

Rockstar has warned Xbox 360 gamers not to install the Grand Theft Auto 5 "play" disc.

On Xbox 360 the openworld game comes on two discs: one mandatory "install" disc and one "play" disc, both around 8GB in size. It's a similar situation to Forza 4, which also shipped on two discs on Xbox 360.

Prospective GTA5 owners - some of which already have the game as a result of early shipping from Amazon.co.uk - might have wanted to install both discs, but Rockstar recommends against it.

"For optimal performance, we recommend not installing that disc," tweeted Rockstar Support.

Then, "An 8GB install is required. For optimal performance, we recommend not installing the play disc."

Rockstar has promised more information soon. For now, the upshot is, with GTA5 on Xbox 360, you have to install disc one but run disc two from the drive.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-16-rockstar-warns-dont-install-gta5-xbox-360-play-disc

• Thumbs Up 2

Pr-ordered, so now to go and get my ticket and receive the game at the Midnight Launch.

We all knew the game was gonna get 9/10's and 10/10's. What matters is what they say in the reviews, and from them and what others have said who already got the game, seems to be pretty damn good.

6 more hours

It's really happening

GTA_4f28b8_2159413.gif

Pr-ordered, so now to go and get my ticket and receive the game at the Midnight Launch.

We all knew the game was gonna get 9/10's and 10/10's. What matters is what they say in the reviews, and from them and what others have said who already got the game, seems to be pretty damn good.

6 more hours

It's really happening

GTA_4f28b8_2159413.gif

And I'm getting it in an hour.

>:3

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey Cake, do you mind doing a spoiler-free impression of the game tomorrow if you get the chance, for those of us who are getting the game later?

Sure. I'll try not to be biased, since I am a massive GTA whore.

But I've already got some problems that I want to try out once I get it, so I'll give my views on that.

So is the game more explicit than GTA V or is it more or less the same? I asked my mum and she said that I can get the game in a couple of week's time if I don't repeat anything. Fair enough XD Nah I'm pretty mature with these kinds of games, I'm sure the content won't be that bad.

Hey Cake, do you mind doing a spoiler-free impression of the game tomorrow if you get the chance, for those of us who are getting the game later?
I'll try and do one too!
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks! I'm hopefully going to pick the game up in a couple of weeks, so it'll be nice to know everyone's impressions on it before I buy it. Btw has anybody seen it for under £40 anywhere? I'm hoping that Amazon UK will reduce it to £35 or something.