Awoo.

Patticus

I have a question so is the Map printout going to come with every copy of the game or just the pre-ordered ones because i was watching an unboxing and the guy took the map out of the case.

Here's the unboxing video if you need to know what i mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg3p4MVjqK8

Edited by Vectorman

Got my copy from GAME Belfast. There must hae been several hundred outside, and they had a DJ playing songs that previously appeared on older GTA games. When I was at the counter One Vision by Queen was playing.

I got the Special Edition, and whilst it had the blueprint map, a standard map was also included.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok so me and Cake had a little competition to see who would be the first to upload a picture of themselves playing the game.

1001441_648134855197498_862268739_n.jpg

Anyway the launch itself was alright, there were just over 300 people but we were all stood outside and it was freezing. The shop was playing K-Rose music though which is amazing as it was my favourite radio station in San Andreas. Not much else to say really as they weren't doing anything special.

Edited by Phil Collins
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry, but I'm way too busy enjoying myself here.

I'll go into detail tomorrow, but I will say now that the driving is a lot better than expected. It's different to IV, but more akin to San Andreas' style of driving. And that's fine.

• Thumbs Up 2

The A.I. car intelligence is pretty awful in this. Stop dead in the opposite lane and they'll come from a mile away at 10mph and just drive right into you. How can they not fix this after so many games?

Framerate does drop alot at times. and traffic dissapearing didn't happen with me yet.
I also notice how things are loading alot quicker. Older games you go far fast into different locations and the extra detail in environments are not loaded yet. You might see a bit here but not alot.

And I still suck at driving.....

The game is great guys, loving the story.

I'm glad they finally added checkpoints within' missions. One of the frusrtating things of gta was repeating the whole mission if you messed up, and most failures are bullshit.
Thank you for dem checkpoints!

Edited by jordine

Speaking of AI, I was waiting at a level crossing, and I saw there was a car coming in the opposite direction. She didn't stop to let the train pass, she drove into it and lost one of her wheels. She was so pissed off she got out and chased the train on foot in anger. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got a huge list of reviews and summaries here

Yeah, I can see this game more or less being given (end-of-year) GOTY awards like candy handed over to babies.

So yeah...I already said it in the status. I have it and it's installing. I had a look at the map but then I forgot how it was bent(?)

And also I can haz blimp :3

So... I've just woken up after playing the game all night. Was it worth it? Hell yes.

I apologise for the bias when I describe my current views on the game. I'm probably one of the biggest GTA fanboys on here, but I'll try my best to give neutral points. I've also never really written out this much about a game, so again I apologise if it's a bit all over the place.

First impressions? Massive improvement from IV. The atmosphere and the feel of the gameplay is a lot more vibrant, unlike IV's drab and grey world. Characters are also written well. The dialogue has already provided me with a lot of laughs.

There's a hell of lot more interaction and immersion with the world, to the point where I can just mess about for hours and not do a single mission. For example, while playing as Franklin, I just walked around with his dog, Chop, playing fetch and just exploring the neighbourhoods. Got into a few fist fights and gun fights too, with Chop assisting me and fending off attackers.

Switching characters is also pretty neat. As we were told, we'll sometimes switch to a character as he's doing something. Some instances they walk out of a shop, watching TV in their houses. And Michael was even shown dropping off his wife downtown at one point. For the time it takes to switch, I'd say about 10-20 second load times, which isn't too bad. It also depends how far apart the characters are. So far, I've only unlocked Michael and Franklin, so the load times are pretty short since they normally in close proximity to each other. I've yet to meet Trevor in the story yet.

Now, before I got the game, I had some issues with how the driving looked. IV's driving was criticised because of "boat like" physics, which I personally didn't mind. With V, they've gone back to a more "arcadey" style, akin to San Andreas or even Saints Row. It works pretty well here, but it does sort of look out of place for a game that has some slight realism still attached to it.

I've also noticed that the Euphoria engine has been toned down a bit too. For example, if you dived out a car in IV, you would roll and tumble for a bit and possibly die. In V, there's less tumbling and more sliding along the ground, which makes you come to a stop a lot quicker.

There's probably more I can write, but that's all I can think of for now. If you're a long time GTA fan, this is a definite must buy. If you're just getting into the series, V is a great place to start. If you were disappointed with IV, I say this is good improvement and you should consider it, or rent it and see for yourself.

Again, apologies if it sounds a bit too praiseworthy here, but I really am enjoying this game to the fullest. No glaring flaws for me yet, so far.

(At the moment, my little sis has been playing around in Michael's house for a while now, enjoying the "water physics" in the swimming pool. laugh.png)

EDIT: Ah, one quick thing I want to add that really stood out to me.

The game also has an ambient score for missions and police chases, a first for a GTA game, which works so perfectly here. I think it's the same music composer from Red Dead Redemption that is doing the score here. Adds a lot more tension in some situations.

Edited by TheCakeMiester
  • Thumbs Up 3

So... I've just woken up after playing the game all night. Was it worth it? Hell yes.

I apologise for the bias when I describe my current views on the game. I'm probably one of the biggest GTA fanboys on here, but I'll try my best to give neutral points. I've also never really written out this much about a game, so again I apologise if it's a bit all over the place.

First impressions? Massive improvement from IV. The atmosphere and the feel of the gameplay is a lot more vibrant, unlike IV's drab and grey world. Characters are also written well. The dialogue has already provided me with a lot of laughs.

There's a hell of lot more interaction and immersion with the world, to the point where I can just mess about for hours and not do a single mission. For example, while playing as Franklin, I just walked around with his dog, Chop, playing fetch and just exploring the neighbourhoods. Got into a few fist fights and gun fights too, with Chop assisting me and fending off attackers.

Switching characters is also pretty neat. As we were told, we'll sometimes switch to a character as he's doing something. Some instances they walk out of a shop, watching TV in their houses. And Michael was even shown dropping off his wife downtown at one point. For the time it takes to switch, I'd say about 10-20 second load times, which isn't too bad. It also depends how far apart the characters are. So far, I've only unlocked Michael and Franklin, so the load times are pretty short since they normally in close proximity to each other. I've yet to meet Trevor in the story yet.

Now, before I got the game, I had some issues with how the driving looked. IV's driving was criticised because of "boat like" physics, which I personally didn't mind. With V, they've gone back to a more "arcadey" style, akin to San Andreas or even Saints Row. It works pretty well here, but it does sort of look out of place for a game that has some slight realism still attached to it.

I've also noticed that the Euphoria engine has been toned down a bit too. For example, if you dived out a car in IV, you would roll and tumble for a bit and possibly die. In V, there's less tumbling and more sliding along the ground, which makes you come to a stop a lot quicker.

There's probably more I can write, but that's all I can think of for now. If you're a long time GTA fan, this is a definite must buy. If you're just getting into the series, V is a great place to start. If you were disappointed with IV, I say this is good improvement and you should consider it, or rent it and see for yourself.

Again, apologies if it sounds a bit too praiseworthy here, but I really am enjoying this game to the fullest. No glaring flaws for me yet, so far.

(At the moment, my little sis has been playing around in Michael's house for a while now, enjoying the "water physics" in the swimming pool. laugh.png)

EDIT: Ah, one quick thing I want to add that really stood out to me.

The game also has an ambient score for missions and police chases, a first for a GTA game, which works so perfectly here. I think it's the same music composer from Red Dead Redemption that is doing the score here. Adds a lot more tension in some situations.

SWEET! I can't wait to get the game this weekend (hopefully) Don't worry, you didn't come across as too biased.

Someone found... Something in the special edition map:

map29ifxq.jpg

Guys, Girls, We're on an alien hunt!

Edited by kimplix

Been playing it for a few hours... I really like it... but I've found something which is disapointing.

The manual.

Ever since GTA 3, every GTA game has come with an amazing manual, it's detailed the city, the different things you can do, the characters, ingame activities, areas of interest, and most importantly, radio station/track lists.

So when I opened the game up and saw the manual I thought 'oh cool, I can give that a read after and get an idea as to what the radio has to offer and some of the locations of interest'

Just opened the manual now... theres a controller with button commands, thats it. It's literally just a control scheme to reference, it says for the full manual visit this link. It just seems a shame that for more or less every GTA the manuals have been an awesome extra which acompanies the game along with the now traditional map of the area. In fact it's a tad odd how they've cut the manual down to what it is as a cost saving measure, yet still included the physical map.

Meh, maybe I'm going through the nostalgic motions but, just feels like this game deserved a real manual that could acompany the game as apposed to 'button list.'

• Thumbs Up 2

Been playing it for a few hours... I really like it... but I've found something which is disapointing.

The manual.

Ever since GTA 3, every GTA game has come with an amazing manual, it's detailed the city, the different things you can do, the characters, ingame activities, areas of interest, and most importantly, radio station/track lists.

So when I opened the game up and saw the manual I thought 'oh cool, I can give that a read after and get an idea as to what the radio has to offer and some of the locations of interest'

Just opened the manual now... theres a controller with button commands, thats it. It's literally just a control scheme to reference, it says for the full manual visit this link. It just seems a shame that for more or less every GTA the manuals have been an awesome extra which acompanies the game along with the now traditional map of the area. In fact it's a tad odd how they've cut the manual down to what it is as a cost saving measure, yet still included the physical map.

Meh, maybe I'm going through the nostalgic motions but, just feels like this game deserved a real manual that could acompany the game as apposed to 'button list.'

At the very least, is the online manual as detailed as a GTA manual should be?

I had some fun with Chop, I played some fetch the ball, then just for MY fun, I threw the ball to someone's head, that person was about to fight me and Chop did the rest :3