Awoo.

IGN's Generations broadcast. Watch now if you can't wait a week to see the game's intro.

Badnik Mechanic

The first one right? No wonder I don't remember. I've been mostly playing 3 ever since I beat it...and occassionally playing 4.

But he's had some hammy moments in those games too. Sometimes intentional. Eh, it depends on the script.

I misquoted.

• Thumbs Up 1

He really isn't, though. I mean, Time Eater just swatted him like a fly, and said swat rendered him unable to continue moving for quite some time. Long enough for him to be sent back into time. Besides, he's the main character, so...

I'm having fun, JEEZ. Besides, Sonic's gonna go all Super Saiyan and kick his ass anyway.

Also there's another thing I'm not happy about with crisis city. Where's the tornado?

In the Classic stage.

Anyone else find Amy... annoying? The stage looked fun and I don't mind the gimmick, but I don't want to hear her squealing every 5 seconds just so I can jump. Luckily it's just a side mission and the actual levels have sick music without the hammy voice acting.

Also there's another thing I'm not happy about with crisis city. Where's the tornado?

Better question where's the street boarding segment?

• Thumbs Up 4

Um...no. Where did that come from again?

You asked... so I shall show you.

I guess that this should be "Why the intro really is a big deal for reasons you probably don't realise"

For a long long time videogames didn't quite grasp what theatre and film had been doing for hundreds of years, that people respond better to subtle gesture and in most cases a lack of dialogue is better than making your audience "SUFFER LIKE G DID!"

If you take Shakespeare and get a really really good cast together, chances are they could perform it without actually speaking, and people would still understand whats going on.

Spoken with a deep Brian Blessed Shakesperian accent

Man 1: HOW ARE YOU!

Man 2: I AM FINE!

Well... if he was fine, why didn't the actor just show it? Why did we have to have that dialogue? We can see that he's fine, why bother having some other guy ask him on our behalf?

With videogames, for a long time we had dodgy annimations and graphics which made this much harder, hence why a badly spoken guy looks and sounds even worse than it actually does, which means that for many voice actors "THIS IS END OF THE WORLD!" when you saw what was a midly bad performance look even worse.

But now that annimation in games looks on par with real life (almost) theres not really an excuse for having unessesary dialogue in there.

Try to imagine how much longer that intro would be had every character spoken what they were thinking/doing. Even Amy only has one quick cut off line... the rest is just her mannerisms and actions, even Sonic doesn't need to say anything... Compare that to Sonic Heroes' constant barrage of "MARRY ME!" Ok we know... you said two scenes ago... why tell us again?

It's great, because it shows that Sega/Sonic Team are finally understanding this, that thye don't need tons of dialogue explaining everything, that we can now listen to Sonic games without feeling like a "JILL SANDWICH!" They can instead watch you go "LOOKING FOR SAILORS!" instead of asking everyone you meet what a sailor looks like.

Bibliography:

"Suffer like G did" --- House of the Dead 2.

"This is the end of the world" --- House of the Dead 2.

"Marry Me!" --- Sonic Heroes.

"Jill Sandwich" --- Resident Evil

"Looking for sailors" --- Shenmue.

Side note: Only 1 of those games was not a Sega game.

Edited by Hogfather

Maybe in a mission?

I'm fine with classic having the tornado. Hopefully there will be a mission for modern that has it.

Actually, both of the lines that we all know are missing...Oh well..

None of the Unleashed style games have Sonic reciting lines in the middle of his levels. It's not surprising that nothing was said.

Maybe Omochao will allude to them, or something will be said in a preceding cutscene.

You asked... so I shall show you.

Took a little too long with typing your post, didn't you Hoggy? :lol:

But aside from that the rest of what you said is pretty spot on when it comes to acting and animation.

The streetboarding segment was probably decided as too similar to City Escape, since the original level was paying homage to CE in the first place.

Who is Blaze with then? Well Blaze is with Cream. And so what other game did Blaze establish a relationship with Cream in? Bam, it was Sonic Rush bitches. Because that is the backstory Sega is following after the events of Sonic '06. Blaze remembers Sonic from the Rush games and nowhere else. How you like that theory huh!

You are overthinking the holy fuck out of this.

Edited by A Match in Oil Ocean Zone

Quick reactions before I go and cook my dinner.

1. I was grinning all through Balloon Park.

2. Crisis City (fuck yeah) is just like Sky Sanctuary. DEM HIGH AND LOW ROUTES IN 3D~

3. I enjoy the opening and approve of the Time Eater theme being the boss trailer music. Where is Eggman?

4. Classic Sonic in cutscenes is the best thing ever.

And something important you canon nerds should take notice of. The characters at the party are paired off to their respective groups. The Chaotix. Sonic and Tails with Amy. Knuckles and Rouge. Who is Blaze with then? Well Blaze is with Cream. And so what other game did Blaze establish a relationship with Cream in? Bam, it was Sonic Rush bitches. Because that is the backstory Sega is following after the events of Sonic '06. Blaze remembers Sonic from the Rush games and nowhere else. How you like that theory huh!

• Thumbs Up 6

Quick reactions before I go and cook my dinner.

1. I was grinning all through Balloon Park.

2. Crisis City (fuck yeah) is just like Sky Sanctuary. DEM HIGH AND LOW ROUTES IN 3D~

3. I enjoy the opening and approve of the Time Eater theme being the boss trailer music. Where is Eggman?

4. Classic Sonic in cutscenes is the best thing ever.

And something important you canon nerds should take notice of. The characters at the party are paired off to their respective groups. The Chaotix. Sonic and Tails with Amy. Knuckles and Rouge. Who is Blaze with then? Well Blaze is with Cream. And so what other game did Blaze establish a relationship with Cream in? Bam, it was Sonic Rush bitches. Because that is the backstory Sega is following after the events of Sonic '06. Blaze remembers Sonic from the Rush games and nowhere else. How you like that theory huh!

But then the Silver boss happened and that sure as hell ain't Chaotic Inferno

The Perfect Chaos battle looked.. well, perfect. The perfect mix of old and new, and that final part with the rising platforms seemed like a really strong nod to the Tornado section from Windy Valley. Plus, all the platforming bits in general really made it looked fleshed out, like a mini-level as well as a boss battle. Lemme put it this way: the random dude's smile at 39:20 summed up my thoughts pretty well.

And yeah, it also looked a bit easy, like the Death Egg Robot, but I think that's just so the player can really enjoy the experience of reliving these epic boss fights. Hard mode, on the other hand, could really make these battles the die-hard challenges we've been hoping for, so it could be the best of both worlds, IF that's how it's executed.

Also, put me in the minority by saying that I think the story is being handled brilliantly. Remember how simple the Genesis' games stories were told? How everything was concise and to the point? It seems like that format is really being emulated here: Sonic has a picnic, picnic is nice, Time Eater appears, Time Eater fucks shit up, Time Eater knocks Sonic out, and Sonic wakes up in a distorted reality. There's no needless fluff, yet there's a lot of aspects of this tale that draw your interest: who is Time Eater? Why did he steal Sonic's friends? What happened to reality? It's the perfect, I repeat, PERFECT way for this game to tell its tale, especially considering how it's meant to sort of resurrect that "ol' school" field.

Still, while I like this approach, I hope the story itself has plenty of cutscenes to show how the situation unfolds, and perhaps reference moments from the franchise's past WITHIN the story, like maybe have Modern Sonic recollect all the adventures he's had while Classic Sonic just looks at him with a confused look at his face. Stuff like that would just be brilliant to me.

And what else is there to say? The music is phenominal, the levels look diverse, the missions look like loads of fun... it's almost the perfect Sonic game. Next week cannot come fast enough.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 3

But then the Silver boss happened and that sure as hell ain't Chaotic Inferno

It doesn't have to be. Sonic '06 was wiped out which still lets Rush and Rivals be canon.

You know watching the co-op stuff with Amy, I think this is the first time she( or anyone else) have actually called her hammer the Piko-piko hammer in-game.

Edit: And by listening to her a little bit more I have come to the conclusion that she does not sound as annoying as before. Which is good.

Edited by Torcano Sanctuary
  • Thumbs Up 3

I don't want to watch too much spoilers, but I did watch the Amy co-op video. The side challenges look fun, but I am not a fan of the characters talking throughout the whole level. Regardless, if that's the absolute worst we have to endure in the whole game (ie; fun levels with annoying characters) then I'm not complaining.

You know, despite sonic 06's flaws, I thought crisis city had some amazing level design overall in the original. I am not planning to watch the streamed videos, but how is crisis city's level design compared to the original in terms of level design, forgetting the atrocious controls and flaws? Thinking back it had some clever designed platforming (or it may just be me)

Edited by Djawed

..So how about that perfect chaos battle?...it makes you wonder why did Sonic even bother going Super the first time around.

I don't get how anyone can be excited or disappointed by the intro, nothing happens aside from the cast getting hurled.

• Thumbs Up 2