Awoo.

Shadow's teleportation

Kuzu

So, this is where my research places me. Gerald Robotnik designed the "Ultimate Lifeform" with DNA from an alien with chaos energy within him named Black Doom. Thus, when Shadow was created, he already possessed some of that energy. So, we know now that he has some control over Chaos Energy, even without the emeralds. Then, we move on to the next factor, those rings he wears, are kind of like Wonder Woman's bracelets, they make it easier to control his awesome power, but they also limit it. That means that if Shadow took them off, he could do a lot more than teleport behind people. Think of it like Star Wars. Sol Energy and Chaos Energy is like the Force, in a way. But let's remember the Sol Emeralds belong to Blaze, and she lives in a different dimension. Right now we're focusing on the Chaos part of the Force. But, even though Chaos sounds all evil and all, it's not exactly the Dark Side of the Force. Otherwise, Sol would be light. This is where the Sonic Universe differs from Star Wars. It's also where it falls into Dragon Ball Z. Sure, with all seven emeralds you can become a Super, but back to the Chaos Energy. Although Shadow, who seems like he has used the power for a couple of evil purposes can use the form, Sonic has, too. And the Chaos Energy isn't like the Energy from Lightning L-Drago, which consumes the wielder into becoming evil. No, Chaos Energy can be controlled, as you can see even an 8-year old fox named Miles Prower, or Tails can wield it's power, and have full control, at least can control it and be able to do some serious damage. So I'm saying Shadow can teleport without the use of a Chaos Emerald, and yes it's a Chaos Energy move. I'm also saying Shadow could do more if he took the rings he wears on his wrists and ankles off.

I think that the move that Shadow uses in Forces/every game where he doesn't have an emerald is in fact Chaos Snap from 06.

That thing was activated by a memory shard.

Like, Chaos Control has buildup, and is overall a slower move, while Chaos Snap activates instantly. 

I think it's a chaos related move; other people already stated that Shadow is able to perform some chaos skills without an emerald, such as Chaos Spear and other moves.

As for the time stop/teleport debate, I think that chaos energy can warp time and space in several ways, not necessarily by stopping time or teleporting stuff/people.

It can be used as fuel for technologic stuff, even ancient technology (such as the Gaia Colossus/Gaia temples), to remove pollution from South Island, to let Angel Island float into the sky, to time travel, for super forms and to open portals to parallel dimensions (sol dimension).

I think that all those things are altered versions of the Chaos Control (even super forms), though, the pure Chaos Control consists in doing a jump in one or more dimentions (in this case, dimensions stands for x y z and time, not parallel worlds) ignoring the laws of physics.

Chaos Energy is also divided into negative and positive, in fact Chaos uses the negative energy of the emeralds, and even the Werehog seems to be the result of Eggman reverting the energy used by the super form from positive to negative. I think that super forms use positive energy, while stuff such as offensive attacks (chaos spear) and transformations into monsters, use the negative energy; fueling stuff and doing pure chaos control consumes both sides of the energy equally.

Shadow THINKS he has a Chaos Emerald in his pocket, even though he doesn't. But he can still use Chaos Control because he BELIEVES.

It's like Dumbo's feather.

Honest forreal answer

Like a serious one

Shadow has learned over the course of several games to use chaos powers with chaos control. Lower level abilities like that blink and chaos spear never needed a chaos emerald , but longer forms of teleportation and chaos blast  needed one. Those don't need those anymore. It shows a sort of character growth. 

The reason why this happened is because about sonic heroes they realized they wanted to use characters with out having them bound to things, and knuckles already had issues with being bound to items so they have basically been removing shadow from chaos emeralds and knuckles from the master emerald for quite some time. Culminating into where we are now. So sega doesn't have to come up with a contrived reason for either of these things if people ask about them

Shadow not needing an Emerald for Chaos Control would not be "character growth" so much as rewriting the canon's fictional physics. And not needing an Emerald is just bullcrap fan theory, since Takashi Iizuka himself has confirmed that Shadow does indeed need a Chaos Emerald to use Chaos Control.

To quote Iizuka from the Sonic Boom 2013 Q&A: "If he [Shadow the Hedgehog] doesn't have a Chaos Emerald he cannot use Chaos Control"
@41:30   

For more, here is a very old post I made explaining the canon of Chaos Emeralds and Chaos Control in both the games and Sonic X...

Full Version:

I posted this in the Sega forums a while ago and thought I'd bring it here:

I've come across many Sonic fans across the internet who don't seem to understand the Chaos Emeralds and Chaos Control within the context of the games (separate from other Sonic universes) and Sonic X.

The Chaos Emeralds in the games and Sonic X are very different from the ArchieSonic and FleetwaySonic universes. There is no "Chaos Force" in SegaSonic

or Sonic X - the Chaos Emeralds of the both of these canons transform thoughts into power and thus serve as their own power generators.

- Tikal, Adventure1: "The 7 Emeralds can change our thoughts into power."

- Blaze, Sonic06: "It's said this gem can transform your thoughts into power." (words repeated by Silver)

- Tails, Adventure1: "Negative forces aren't the only way to empower the Chaos Emeralds. Our positive feelings toward each other can make them work. Our hearts together form awesome power."

Furthermore, the power of an Emerald can be harnessed without physical contact. The needed proximity is unknown.

Games:

- The Emeralds' ability to affect all of South Island in the original games.

- Numerous Super transformations never see any physical contact, yet the Emeralds gravitate from where ever they are toward the user(s): Adventure2, Shadow, Unleashed (Unleashed has the biggest distance yet with the Emeralds scattered around the Gaia Colossus)

- Shadow did not touch the 3 Emeralds in Rouge's hands when he warped himself and her off of Prison Island before it exploded (and maybe warped up to ARK in that same jump) in Adventure2.

- Sonic, Adventure2: (referring to FinalHazard) "Where does he get all that power? Is this the power of the Chaos Emeralds?" yet the Biolizard never touched any Emeralds

- Black Doom in Shadow's game never touches them in his 7-Emerald-full-powered Chaos Control warp of the Black Comet onto the planet's surface - in fact they were orbiting Shadow's head

Sonic X:

Again, numerous Super transformations. Especially in...

episode 64 - English "A Meterex Melee" and Japanese "Clash! Sonic vs Shadow"; The Emeralds are scattered around when they go Super, 2 are even in the hands of a Meterex

episode 77 - English "A Fearless Friend" and Japanese "What I Can Do For You"; The Emeralds remain behind Super Sonic & Super Shadow after the transformation

This is not an exhaustive list

Likewise, Chaos Control is very different from the ArchieSonic universe in the Games and Sonic X. In both, Chaos Control is defined as the ability to use the Chaos Emeralds to warp time and space (technically it is the ability to use the power of the Chaos Emeralds as Chaos Control can be used using a fake Emerald with the same wavelength and properties as a real one). This means that Chaos Control requires the power from at least one Chaos Emerald in the games and Sonic X (and like just said, an Emerald only needs to be close by to draw that power), and warping time and space without a Chaos Emerald's power is by definition not Chaos Control.

- Shadow profile, Adventure2 manual: "Shadow has a special ability called 'Chaos Control' which allows him to warp time and space using Chaos Emeralds"

- Sonic, Adventure2 cutscene: "It's not his speed, he must be using the Chaos Emerald to warp."

- Shadow, Adventure2 cutscene: "It was a Chaos Emerald, wasn't it? But... there's no way you could have activated the Chaos Control... using an Emerald that's fake."

- Shadow profile, Heroes manual: "...and can use a technique known as 'Chaos Control' to distort time & space using Chaos Emeralds."

- Shadow, Sonic06 cutscene: "With a Chaos Emerald's power, I control time and space"

- Shadow profile, Sonic Channel website: "He is given the ability of Chaos Control to distort time and space using the Chaos Emeralds"

- Shadow profile, Rivals website: "Possessing the power to use Chaos Emeralds to perform Chaos Control..."

It's also notable that Sonic X is almost completely similar to the games in its Chaos Emeralds and Chaos Control - Chaos Control's requirement for at least one Emerald is even more ironclad (while there are plotholes created by gameplay and such, Sonic X doesn't have them and Shadow's Sonic X bio even says "He also has the ability to create Chaos Control with just one Chaos Emerald") - the biggest differences between Sonic X and the games are the Emeralds' reactions to each other (all 7 put together incorrectly create an uncontrolled Chaos Control warp), all 7 Emeralds combining into one (the English version dropped this, and it was forgotten by the Japanese version pretty quickly), and an explanation that the Emeralds always scatter after being collected (games give no explanation). In fact, Shadow's ability to use Chaos Control with just one Emerald is a plot point.

Sonic in episode 34 Japanese "Sonic the Fugitive"; "He's doing Chaos Control with just one Emerald?"

These things about Chaos Control and Chaos Emeralds are officially canon in both the Sonic Games universe and the Sonic X universe. The quotes alone prove it. There is no evidence of Shadow being "made of Chaos Energy" or being a "living Chaos Emerald" or anything like that.

Sonic Forces has Shadow warp without any Chaos Emeralds seen in the game. And Sonic X also says Chris singlehandedly got Shadow to remember his promise.

On 2/3/2018 at 3:19 AM, Darth InVaders said:

Shadow not needing an Emerald for Chaos Control would not be "character growth" so much as rewriting the canon's fictional physics. And not needing an Emerald is just bullcrap fan theory, since Takashi Iizuka himself has confirmed that Shadow does indeed need a Chaos Emerald to use Chaos Control.

Technically, Sonic performed a chaos control without any Chaos Emerald, using a fake one that was just a little more than a Chaos Drive and it didn't even share the same properties with a real Chaos Emerald (it would have exploded once inside the cannon's core).

I wouldn't take that confirmation so literally, he was probably refering to the specific chaos control he does in Sonic Adventure 2, not to a more general concept of just using chaos powers (that would be the case of Shadow's chaos based fighting skills).

Chaos Control barely means being able to control the chaos, I think that Chaos Control is not the name of a very specific technique, but the fact of being in control of the chaos powers, this may be in many different ways.

To support this theory, the fact that the term Chaos Control is used in games refering to different things, from time travel to teleportation of space colonies, to super speed/time stop (that's not the same thing as time travel); that's why I'm convinced that theorically even super forms can be considered forms of chaos control; characters who become super, control the power of the chaos emeralds to transform their thoughts into power, reaching the super form that's indeed the manifestation of such power.

So, while Shadow doing small teleports and creating energy orbs/spears is not considered Chaos Control, it's implied that those moves are still chaos-based, and he can do those moves even without using an emerald. It may not be an actual Chaos Control by definition, but it's still a case of Shadow controlling some amount of chaos energy, maybe a small amount of it.

The source of that chaos energy is not explained though, but it doesn't seem to come out from an emerald; maybe Shadow is not the one who produces it, maybe he's able to control the chaos energy the world is made of, or something like that, who knows, there is nothing specific said about that so we can just make theories.

IMO those are incomplete forms of chaos control, weaker and limited, but they are definitely chaos energy being controlled. Shadow can't do a proper Chaos Control without at least an emerald, but he is probably able to attempt at it even without one, that results in a weak and incomplete version of it, that's still powerful enough to be useful in battles. Probably this is not even specific of Shadow, maybe anyone can do it as long as they have enough skills and knownledge of chaos powers: well maybe even the boost is like that (it uses ring energy, at least in Unleashed, but Super Forms, that are triggered by the Chaos Emeralds, use it too); Boost can also be performed by using the power of the wisps, without  chaos nor ring energy.

-WIKI reference for chaos energy: http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos_energy#cite_note-1

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/2/2018 at 2:41 AM, Almar said:

Sonic Forces has Shadow warp without any Chaos Emeralds seen in the game.

Maybe he is carrying one and we just don't see it? Kind of like in Sonic Heroes, where Shadow is always carrying the green Chaos Emerald (even if the player hasn't actually gotten it yet).

The Last Way, the true final level of Shadow the Hedgehog, can not be completed without using Chaos Control.  At that point in the story, Shadow does not have ANY of the Chaos Emeralds, because they had just been taken by Black Doom.  You can even see that Black Doom has the emeralds when you find him at the end of the level.

It doesn't make any sense to say Shadow needs an Emerald for Chaos Control, because he clearly has done it without one.  Canonically, for whatever that's worth.  Teleportation is Chaos Control, he can do Chaos Control without an emerald, it's not that hard to grasp.

When Takashi Iizuka says he can't do Chaos Control without an emerald, he's either talking about something more specific than the rest of you are, or he has his head up his own ass.  And let's be real here, his head's up his ass regardless.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, G-Force said:

The Last Way, the true final level of Shadow the Hedgehog, can not be completed without using Chaos Control.  At that point in the story, Shadow does not have ANY of the Chaos Emeralds, because they had just been taken by Black Doom.  You can even see that Black Doom has the emeralds when you find him at the end of the level.

It doesn't make any sense to say Shadow needs an Emerald for Chaos Control, because he clearly has done it without one.  Canonically, for whatever that's worth.  Teleportation is Chaos Control, he can do Chaos Control without an emerald, it's not that hard to grasp.

When Takashi Iizuka says he can't do Chaos Control without an emerald, he's either talking about something more specific than the rest of you are, or he has his head up his own ass.  And let's be real here, his head's up his ass regardless.

While the " head up his own ass " is definitely a thing, I think at the time. He was just referring to time stop, which is a pretty powerful power. This has since changed, not gonna make any hard predictions here, but I feel like they wanna tell more chaos emerald-less stories. And to do that you have to seperate the characters who are connected to them from it

On 3/6/2018 at 7:39 PM, G-Force said:

The power of the Chaos Emeralds can be harnessed without physical contact and from an unknown distance. Numerous Super transformations and Chaos Control warps have proven that. For example, Black Doom said he required a full power Chaos Control (which requires harnessing the power of all 7 Emeralds) to warp the Black Comet to the planet's surface, then does exactly that without touching any Emeralds (that were initially orbiting Shadow's head), and in Sonic Unleashed, Sonic harnessed the power of the Emeralds for a Super transformation despite the Emeralds being scattered across the massive Gaia Colossus (which Sonic was a small bug in comparison to). Despite gameplay being weak evidence, being that it is full of non-canon things like Amy suddenly developing chameleon-like invisibility in Sonic06 as one of many examples, your example of Last Way does not contradict the need for Chaos Emeralds for Chaos Control because you cannot prove Black Doom was able to get the Emeralds out of Shadow's reach. As for Sonic Forces, Pengi already answered that - you cannot prove Shadow did not have an Emerald since it is unknown where any of them are in the entire game's story.

Attacking the credibility of Shadow's creator and the current head of the team that makes the games just reeks of desperation - you actually act like you know more than someone who can be described as the "god of Sonic". Yet still, what Iizuka said is right in line with every official description of Chaos Control ever - whether it was said in an official profile or by a character in a cutscene (including Shadow himself): if Shadow does not have a Chaos Emerald, he cannot use Chaos Control. Hell, I quoted nearly all of them in a previous post above.

With quotes from the creator of Shadow and current head of Sonic Team, from official profiles, and from Shadow and other knowledgeable characters, we have a very solid affirmation of this. And nothing actively contradicts Chaos Control's need for either a Chaos Emerald or a fake Emerald, all you have are things that are at most unexplained. To quote Ian Flynn on the unexplained plot elements...

by Ian Flynn » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:23 pm 

diamonddeath wrote:Well, I meant for having inconsistencies and such, but I suppose any unexplained plot elements could be discussed. It can be difficult to differ between the two at times. Like I said, any ideas are most likely considered fan ideas, so people's ideas most likely have to be hidden.

I don't mean to be difficult, but no, it's not. 

Plot holes and inconsistencies are notable because there is something directly opposing it. Tails was brown, then was orange. Mogul cursed Mina while he was still imprisoned in the Master Emerald. 

Unresolved plot points have nothing acting against them. They're simply there. And I only harp on this because it's wearying when I have on-going subplots called "plotholes," or when I'm asked about a "plothole" that is really just another dangling idea from the old days. 

3 hours ago, Darth InVaders said:

The power of the Chaos Emeralds can be harnessed without physical contact and from an unknown distance. Numerous Super transformations and Chaos Control warps have proven that. For example, Black Doom said he required a full power Chaos Control (which requires harnessing the power of all 7 Emeralds) to warp the Black Comet to the planet's surface, then does exactly that without touching any Emeralds (that were initially orbiting Shadow's head), and in Sonic Unleashed, Sonic harnessed the power of the Emeralds for a Super transformation despite the Emeralds being scattered across the massive Gaia Colossus (which Sonic was a small bug in comparison to). Despite gameplay being weak evidence, being that it is full of non-canon things like Amy suddenly developing chameleon-like invisibility in Sonic06 as one of many examples, your example of Last Way does not contradict the need for Chaos Emeralds for Chaos Control because you cannot prove Black Doom was able to get the Emeralds out of Shadow's reach. As for Sonic Forces, Pengi already answered that - you cannot prove Shadow did not have an Emerald since it is unknown where any of them are in the entire game's story.

Attacking the credibility of Shadow's creator and the current head of the team that makes the games just reeks of desperation - you actually act like you know more than someone who can be described as the "god of Sonic". Yet still, what Iizuka said is right in line with every official description of Chaos Control ever - whether it was said in an official profile or by a character in a cutscene (including Shadow himself): if Shadow does not have a Chaos Emerald, he cannot use Chaos Control. Hell, I quoted nearly all of them in a previous post above.

With quotes from the creator of Shadow and current head of Sonic Team, from official profiles, and from Shadow and other knowledgeable characters, we have a very solid affirmation of this. And nothing actively contradicts Chaos Control's need for either a Chaos Emerald or a fake Emerald, all you have are things that are at most unexplained. To quote Ian Flynn on the unexplained plot elements...

I'm not gonna bother debating anything about physical contact with the Chaos Emeralds, mostly because I never said anything to the contrary and also because I don't believe it matters at all.  The only thing that truly matters is the concept of possession, and it is factually possible to possess an item without being in physical contact with it.  I possess a 3DS.  It's mine, it belongs to me, and I have access to it, but I'm not literally holding it as I type this.  Not literally holding it doesn't mean I don't possess it.

If Shadow collects all 7 Chaos Emeralds then he possesses them, even if they're levitating around his head.  If Black Doom takes control of them, uses their power, and then leaves with them, then Shadow no longer possesses them.  Black Doom does.  If Shadow does not possess (or at least have direct access to) the Emeralds, then it's reasonable to say that he can't be using their power.  There's no reason to make things more complicated than that.

And just to clarify, I'm not trying to say that Shadow can use literally ALL of his powers without a Chaos Emerald.  It's obvious that he can't.  It's just that, in my mind, all of Shadow's unique powers and abilities (like teleports, energy attacks, and anything else that isn't obviously physical) fall under the general blanket of "Chaos Control."  All I'm trying to say is that he clearly can and has used some of those powers without an emerald.

Lastly, for the record, I don't think I know more than Iizuka.  I just think that he and the rest of Sonic Team have made enough dumbass choices and mistakes that they simply do not deserve to be followed blindly.  He and they deserve to be questioned because they keep doing things that are highly questionable.

4 hours ago, G-Force said:

Lastly, for the record, I don't think I know more than Iizuka.  I just think that he and the rest of Sonic Team have made enough dumbass choices and mistakes that they simply do not deserve to be followed blindly.  He and they deserve to be questioned because they keep doing things that are highly questionable.

Fucking

This

They have very selective narrative integrity and shadow's powers and knuckles's job are not included

8 hours ago, G-Force said:

I'm not gonna bother debating anything about physical contact with the Chaos Emeralds, mostly because I never said anything to the contrary and also because I don't believe it matters at all.  The only thing that truly matters is the concept of possession, and it is factually possible to possess an item without being in physical contact with it.  I possess a 3DS.  It's mine, it belongs to me, and I have access to it, but I'm not literally holding it as I type this.  Not literally holding it doesn't mean I don't possess it.

If Shadow collects all 7 Chaos Emeralds then he possesses them, even if they're levitating around his head.  If Black Doom takes control of them, uses their power, and then leaves with them, then Shadow no longer possesses them.  Black Doom does.  If Shadow does not possess (or at least have direct access to) the Emeralds, then it's reasonable to say that he can't be using their power.  There's no reason to make things more complicated than that.

But you are making things more complicated, you are creating a block by possession that has never even been hinted at before. The Emeralds must simply be within some not really defined proximity for a character to draw power from them, there is no additional block to this based on possession.

8 hours ago, G-Force said:

You want to question Sonic Team? There must be someone on these forums going to the SXSW's Gotta Go Fast: The Official Sonic the Hedgehog Panel on March 16, 2018 which Iizuka will be attending - go ask him: https://schedule.sxsw.com/2018/events/PP99104 - make sure the question and answer are video recorded to be posted online.

So where was Two Worlds mentioned in any games before Unleashed? And how does it fit with Echidna Land being in the same world as Station Square?