Awoo.

Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver Discussion

PSI Wind

When there's no skill involved in the matter, I don't see it as cheating (and save your analogies- this is a specific example). There's a degree of luck involved in finding a Pokemon with optimum values, and then the training process is near-mindless. The advantage of legit-hacking is saving time and nothing else. Fair enough it IS against the game's intended limitations and can be reasonably described as cheating, but the point of competitive battling is the actual battling. If the battle is indistinguishable from a legitimate one, then fuck it cause it may as well be one.

Why would you want to rely on luck for getting what you want, when instead you can guarantee that things will work without wasting hours?

I suppose we're just going to constantly disagree on this. I think that so long as outcome could be allowed, it should be. But whatever. What would the series be without an evil team misusing Pokemon for their own good, eh? =P

Edited by Blue Blood

When there's no skill involved in the matter, I don't see it as cheating (and save your analogies- this is a specific example). There's a degree of luck involved in finding a Pokemon with optimum values, and then the training process is near-mindless. The advantage of legit-hacking is saving time and nothing else. Fair enough it IS against the game's intended limitations and can be reasonably described as cheating, but the point of competitive battling is the actual battling. If the battle is indistinguishable from a legitimate one, then fuck it cause it may as well be one.

Why would you want to rely on luck for getting what you want, when instead you can guarantee that things will work without wasting hours?

After finding optimum Pokémon, you have to EV them. If you use the right combination of power weights and Pokérus, it's possible to get all your EV's pretty quickly (without leveling it up much). Then play in a lv. 100 battle; with full EV's your Pokémon will have the same stats that they would if they were lv. 100. It isn't all grinding.

There is also a certain amount of luck in getting IVs... but that's without abusing the RNG generator. This takes a lot of time, patience, and skill but it's in-game and perfectly legal.

What doesn't seem to be getting across is the fact that saving time isn't all that matters. I know you've already heard about the work involved in training as compared to the almost nonexistent time that it takes to legit-hack something... and then there's also the matter of not having the resources. Say you have a copy of Diamond and nothing else. How do you teach your Mamoswine Superpower, or your Salamence Outrage?

I don't get it. Mamoswine didn't get Superpower until Platinum, so surely it should be decided on completely independent-battle/tournament rules what moves and Pokemon (and formes) can be used. Bas stats don't vary within the generation though.

Ok so since HG/SS mania has kinda died down, and this topic is to the point where it can all be encompassed in the main pokemon topic, I think I may as well lock this one and ask that all discussion be transfered over to the main pokemon topic.