Awoo.

Is Sonic Too Slow?

Legendary Emerald

To begin with, no, I do not agree with this topic's title.

I recently had a conversation with a close friend of mine about Generations. He is a fan of the Dreamcast games, and was considering buying Generations for the PC. After showing him footage of Modern Sky Sanctuary though, he became very bummed out, and started talking about how he's always been disappointed in how slow Sonic is. Flabbergasted, I pointed him towards a video of Modern Green Hill Zone. He said that was a bit closer to what he wanted, but that there were still too many times where you had to slow down, and that you lost speed while jumping.

At this point I told him to just play Burnout if that's what he wanted, but he persisted that what he wanted to play was a faster Sonic game. I pointed out that Sonic games are platformers, and that there will always be points when you need to slow down, because you have to jump.

"Well, why not take away the jump?"

I almost rage quit the conversation right then, but I could tell he was being serious. He then went on to bash the game's textures and say it looks like crap, but let's not get into that right now.

So... does anyone else in the world think Sonic is too slow in Generations? And a better question is... how COULD Sonic games be made even faster than they already are?

.....Is he fucking serious? Has he not seen Unleashed? The whole trilogy are probably the fastest Sonic games to date, and he wants them to be faster? If the games are any faster, not even blast processing can help the system.

I take it your friend has no idea that Sonic is a platformer huh?

• Thumbs Up 8

If you made Unleashed Engine gameplay much faster, Textures would look even more Crap (According to him) If there were no points where you had to slow down or jump, the Stage would be a straight line.

To be honest, your freind has made a proposterous point..

Edited by mclaren6

Wow. No.

It honestly sounds like he doesn't want a Sonic game, and just want's a different series altogether. No jump? Yeah, no. This is a platforming series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's my answer. Tell your friend to go play Unleashed HD. Fastest sonic game to date.

As for Generations, when I played the demo w/o boost I actually thought he seemed slower compared to Unleashed. I mean in 08 he was like the fucking flash blowing through stages w/ or w/o BOOOSH. Hell I had to get use to the game (3 weeks at most) just to be able to beat stages like JJ or shamar act 1. Where in Generations I felt like....yeah he's fast but he's not as fast as I expect him to be in 2011.

Make Sonic faster? I know...Blast Processing, Version 2.0 infused with the Hedgehog Engine 9000! This way he will really be 'rolling around at the speed of sound!'

Here's my answer. Tell your friend to go play Unleashed HD. Fastest sonic game to date.

As for Generations, when I played the demo w/o boost I actually thought he seemed slower compared to Unleashed. I mean in 08 he was like the fucking flash blowing through stages w/ or w/o BOOOSH. Hell I had to get use to the game (3 weeks at most) just to be able to beat stages like JJ or shamar act 1. Where in Generations I felt like....yeah he's fast but he's not as fast as I expect him to be in 2011.

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 3

They've basically returned to Unleashed speeds, and then we have classic Sonic's boost dash, so no, neither iteration of the character is too slow. Your friend just has a particularly high threshold for speed.

However, I'd reckon it's possible that assets could be developed and coded in such a way that the player perceives themselves to be going much faster than what they really are. Smaller architecture so it looks as if Sonic's covering more ground than usual, returning the ability to be able to gain across the camera and potentially reach the edge of the TV screen, and graphical effects would be my main ideas on that front. I'm sure it could also be done physically through Unleashed gameplay as well.

Go back to yer f***ing Burnout, ya f***in' ***. -w-

Needless to say, I am not amused with your friend's impression. What would you get from a platformer title if you couldn't jump?

Besides, Sonic's been at his fastest in 2008 and that's how it's been since.

Heck, I don't remember doing nothing but running with Sonic.

It's almost as if he deliberately chooses not to acknowledge the A button. ._. I don't remember not jumping in a main Sonic title.

Edited by VizardJeffhog

Make Sonic faster? I know...Blast Processing, Version 2.0 infused with the Hedgehog Engine 9000!

Well, this game has a LOT of Platforming, almost as much as the Adventure games! Sonic can't go any faster in this game to be honest.

Sounds to me that your friend has no knowledge of the platforming genre, and he just wants a racing game... If Generations HD and Unleashed HD (where Sonic is traveling roughly up to 300mph) are too slow for him, then you shouldn't even bother to try to get your friend into Sonic.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir

He foo real?

You should show him a speed run of unleashed, like this one:

If this doesn't make his eyes melt, nothing will.

Edited by KrazyBean14

Give him Sonic Advance 2 and tell him to go home.

Edited by Indigo Generations
  • Thumbs Up 1

To play Devil's Advocate a bit, I have noticed that in the Generations demo, Sonic does seem a tad slower than in Unleashed. However, I've taken into account several factors:

• My Day Sonic in Unleashed is maxed out

• There may be a speed upgrade in Generations, just as there was in Unleashed

And here's what I think is the big one here: Sonic's speed may be deliberately capped in order to make Super Sonic appear all the more faster. I'm guessing that Super Sonic will probably meet or exceed the speed of a maxed out day Sonic in Unleashed, with a little extra destruction thrown in.

He foo real?

You should show him a speed run of unleashed, like this one:

If this doesn't make his eyes melt, nothing will.

To be honest, I still call Burnout my favourite racing series because of it's perfect balance of speed and sense of where you are. If you were going too fast, you'd have to have the reaction times of a computer to be able to even play the game.

Same reason I love Sonic. It keeps a perfect balance of speed and platforming. I wouldn't change the way Generations has handled things, it's an absolute blast (Processing) when you get a good run going.

tl;dr - No.

I don't think your friend is that smart.

How can you get much faster than Unleashed and some parts of Generations, without being absolutely uncontrollable or uncharacteristic of Sonic gameplay.

Not that I'd have any reason to advocate it, but I don't think attaining the perception of higher speed from the player is impossible without sacrificing current gameplay models. I'd reckon you wouldn't even have to physically make Sonic faster, but subsequently alter environmental aspects and cues to fool poor peons into merely thinking they're going faster.

Not that I'd have any reason to advocate it, but I don't think attaining the perception of higher speed from the player is impossible without sacrificing current gameplay models. I'd reckon you wouldn't even have to physically make Sonic faster, but subsequently alter environmental aspects and cues to fool poor peons into merely thinking they're going faster.

This has been done loads with Unleashed and Generations already. When boosting, the world becomes distorted making scenery look further away than it it, but you still reach it really fast. They also make use of a 'vertigo effect' affect a lot, alters how far away scenery looks. Best place to see this is just before the corkscrew and the end of C.GHZ. Literally stand at the foot of it and walk left and right. The BG will pan in and out.

My Real life reaction to this:

1294714842898.gif

I guess Sonic is a game he never touched because Unleashed is ironically fast.

• Thumbs Up 2