Awoo.

Sonic Generations: Official Spoiler Topic

Voyant

The Collection Room remix of the Sonic 3 file select song is really nice, and probably my favourite song of the batch. I do prefer Rush Adventure's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EnsiTyLLUY, but this one is still really nice, sweet and sad in just the right combination. It's definitely a good fit for sorting through bits and pieces of Sonic's 20-year history.

You know what's funny I never realized that the Sonic jam gallery theme was a remix of the Sonic 3 file select and I've owned Sth3 since its release.

You know what's funny I never realized that the Sonic jam gallery theme was a remix of the Sonic 3 file select and I've owned Sth3 since its release.

I haven't heard that version in ages, but Generations' remix is definitely much closer to it than it is to the original. I like that they went out of their way to reference a compilation game like that; it's a nice touch.

Watched the first 3 cutscenes.

..and now I thought nothing could be as shallow, cheesy and childish as Heroes (and Colors). The cutscenes are so short and there's so little going on in them.. Yeah, now I'm sure that Colors writers should be fired. Even Unleashed is a million times better than what I saw in Colors (and very likely what I'll see in generations) and I hated Unleashed when it came out after games with serious plots and lots of story cutscenes which I liked.

Yeah, I understand that the plot is here just to connect the levels and stuff..But I'm sure they could do better. Much better.

I'll let it slide just for this game. They better make a decent developed story next time. It's very disappointing, because everything else in generations looks so great!

Look, guys, opinions are opinions, and here's mine.

I liked the three cutscenes, but from what I've seen of them so far, from a story delivery standpoint, they are drastically underdeveloped. There is almost nothing going on in some of this. In the Chemical Plant cutscene for example, what happened in that video to further progress the plot? Nothing. It was merely for self-referential fluff, which isn't bad at all so long as the scene has some kind of purpose behind it. It's creative writing 101, folks.

As far as the whole, "you just want your dark and edgy stories back, but you should just deal with this because *insert defense here*" argument, there is a difference between dark/edgy and developed. Developed writing actually gives the reader (or in this case, the viewer) something to invest their attention into. In most decent forms of writing, every scene has something, no matter how small, that contributes to the big picture. While Sonic and Tails talking about how Chemical Plant makes them feel nostalgia is a great touch and much appreciated, that alone doesn't constitute a well-written or remotely-developed scene. It does nothing for the story itself. I don't mean to sound derogatory, but quite literally anyone can write this stuff. I... just don't see much effort here on the writers' part.

Now that I've gotten that bit out of the way, I'd like to end on the note that I personally can't wait for this game and its cutscenes, no matter how underdeveloped the rest of them may be, because at the end of the day, I just want to know what happens in the next chapter of the blue blur's story.

• Thumbs Up 4

frfr

I'm sorry but what is so cheesy and childish about the cutscenes this time? There's no forced jokes, awkward dialogue or any of that stuff. It seems like you're only complaining cause the story isn't being all dark and serious and you want the Colors writers fired (based on only 3 cutscenes, we haven't even seen the story unfold yet) when it's already been said that this game is going to be light hearted in tone.

It lacks genocidal maniacs, implications of abusive childhoods, fat Hitler expies, and Death Camps for the Jewish Echidnas angry.png

Oh, and furry romance! Gotta have that!

But most importantly? This beautiful son of a bitch:

afd__triumph_of_tommy_turtle_by_paulagnew-d1yyvpu.jpg

Seriously, can you imagine Generations without this beautiful mug? Or his sterling contributions to the plot and character development so profound, Tolkien wept in the afterlife?

I IZ DROPPING SAWNICKS IF MAH DEMANDS 4 GRIMDERP AIN'T MET!!1!!111!!! angry.png

... tongue.png

I liked the three cutscenes, but from what I've seen of them so far, from a story delivery standpoint, they are drastically underdeveloped. There is almost nothing going on in some of this. In the Chemical Plant cutscene for example, what happened in that video to further progress the plot? Nothing. It was merely for self-referential fluff, which isn't bad at all so long as the scene has some kind of purpose behind it. It's creative writing 101, folks.

As far as the whole, "you just want your dark and edgy stories back, but you should just deal with this because *insert defense here*" argument, there is a difference between dark/edgy and developed. Developed writing actually gives the reader (or in this case, the viewer) something to invest their attention into. In most decent forms of writing, every scene has something, no matter how small, that contributes to the big picture. While Sonic and Tails talking about how Chemical Plant makes them feel nostalgia is a great touch and much appreciated, that alone doesn't constitute a well-written or remotely-developed scene. It does nothing for the story itself. I don't mean to sound derogatory, but quite literally anyone can write this stuff. I... just don't see much effort here on the writers' part.

Now that I've gotten that bit out of the way, I'd like to end on the note that I personally can't wait for this game and its cutscenes, no matter how underdeveloped the rest of them may be, because at the end of the day, I just want to know what happens in the next chapter of the blue blur's story.

Okay, I can see where you're coming from but maybe the cutscenes will get more developed when we see more of them in the game. I mean, we've only seen the opening with Sonic's birthday party and the two in game cutscenes. Just wait and see what happens.

Edit: Actually, I'll laugh if the later cutscenes in the game gets more serious later on and more plot involved. It just shows that we jump the gun way too early.

Edited by sonfan1984

Good to know we can make paragraphs worth of insight, critical analysis', plot direction, and overall tone from 3 measly cutscenes.

And here I thought we were jumping the gun a bit.

• Thumbs Up 4

While I'm lovin the tracks so far...Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary sound very tame and relaxed...I'm excited to here the boosting versions because they feel like they are missing an extra kick.

Although considering that kinda the point in Modern Sonic gameplay...I can't hate on this structure..I love when the music changes up depending on pace...great little add on that adds to the experience and makes me really feel like I'm in control.

Edited by V0YANT

God, I just want to hear the games theme... They could drop a Tenderoni remix on us, call it the theme, and I'd have a aural orgasm. The people at Sega would make for swell professional dominatrixs...

Edited by The Real Darth Sonikku

Ok, but none of that were in Artfenix's complaints, he said there wasn't enough going on, what do you expect to happen in a game about Sonic's birthday of all things? He described it as shallow, cheesy, and childish despite none of that being in any of those cutscenes: Friends are kidnapped, rescue friends, I mean that's basically the entire plot summed up right there, what else is there to show?

I'll admit, in regards to a story telling standpoint, yes the chemical plant scene was pointless, but I see no reason to bash the game for it because this isn't the only time the series has been guilty of this.

Reason we're so critical is because whenever somebody complains about the direction, they always bring up what the series was, over and over, and its a little annoying to be told that "Bah Darker & Edgier is bettar" most of the time.

Did anyone really expect this game to have an SA2/Shadow style storyline? Didn't Sonic stop going in that direction after the great trainwreck of 06?

Okay, I can see where you're coming from but maybe the cutscenes will get more developed when we see more of them in the game. Just wait and see what happens.

Edited by crush40rocks
  • Thumbs Up 2

Did anyone really expect this game to have an SA2/Shadow style storyline? Didn't Sonic stop going in that direction after the great trainwreck of 06?

Edited by crush40rocks

Modern Chemical Plant music, extended to 15 blissful minutes:

I'll do the others a bit later. Next will be Sky Sanctuary

• Thumbs Up 1

And here's Sky Sanctuary too:

As for my opinions on all the music, the one that I liked the least funnily enough was Modern Chemical Plant. For me, I just felt that it dragged too much. It felt slow. Slower than the Classic version of Chemical Plant and the original version. And considering that not only is Chemical Plant very much one of the faster stages in Sonic 2 AND it's a Modern Sonic level, I personally would've preferred something more dynamic and fast paced. But I can see why plenty of people would like it.

I really like Modern Sky Sanctuary. I wasn't a huge fan of the original music, but this remix really gives it a new coat of paint. This has almost a kind of magical sensation to it. Really helps to convey the fact that you're actually in a mystical sanctuary in the sky.

Not much to say about the Skill Shop music. It's chipper, it's peppy and it's simple but effective. It just put a smile on my face.

Funnily enough, out of all of those 4 my favourite was the Collection Room Menu music. Beautiful arrangement of instruments and smooth as a baby's bottom. It sounds like something you'd hear at a classy jazz club or something. The end third in particular was my favourite bit, with the piano solo

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 Cut scenes, tiny,

But I'd be OK with it if they were decent length and actually had a point,

But nooo, there all 30 seconds to a minute long -,-"

I'd agree slighty about the dialogue of Free Riders but not the plot. It was Sonic Heroes 2 really.

So does this mean we have to wait till much later for anymore news? Ah well. I'll just wait with my collection room music in hope. Thanks anyway!

13 Cut scenes, tiny,

I do appreciate the plot for what it is actually, but I can still be disappointed by something, can't I? I think stuff like Knuckles talking to Rouge, Cream talking to Blaze and Tails remembering Chemical Plant is very nice. I like that.

Well then what's the problem?

Yeah, in my opinion they should be fired. And it's not about loving Sa or something. Look no further than at Sonic free Riders. I think the dialog is much fresher and much better than what Colors writers do. If those guys were in charge of making plots for the main games, I'm sure they'd be a hell lot better and more enjoyable.

The dialogue in Free Riders was plainly terrible. Well, at least to me. Wanting to fire the Colours writers and replacing them with the people who wrote that garbage is counter-productive

And speaking of 13 cutscenes total.. If that's how it is.. I do think it's no good that even spin-offs like the storybook games or SRZG have more cutscenes and developed story. Can you agree with that at least? Like lots of people say: if you don't like stories, just skip the cutscenes. There are a lot of other people, who actually values plots very much.

Why do we need more cutscenes? More =/= better. SA1 had tons more cutscenes, but that didn't stop them from having terrible dialogue and horrible acting. So far your only problem with Generations' story is that it has only 13 cutscenes. How is that a reason to fire the writers? You just now said that you liked the cutscenes, so where is the damned problem?

13 Cut scenes, tiny,

So what, how long do you want the cutscenes to last? 5-10 minutes each? Well then sir, do explain to me, what you think they should fill the cutscenes with. There is no point stretching the length of the cutscenes for no reason. Longer cutscene =/= better cutscene in the same way more cutscenes =/= better story.

The premise of the story itself is simple. The Time Eater comes up and fuck's up Sonic's Birthday. All his friends have been kidnapped, so he needs to sort things out and rescue them. Simple enough? Right, so tell me how you can develop that any more than it has been.

Fact is, the story has all the development it needs, there is no point in filling it with random extra dialogue and longer cutscenes that acheive nothing more than wasting time that could have been spent playing the game.

• Thumbs Up 7